Lombardia Oct 16th - and travel bikes

Anton Berlin

Aug 25, 2010, 6:36:13 PM8/25/10
GF and I are going to Europe again for a few weeks and the timing is
such that we can catch Lombardia

Anyone ever done this ? We love lake Como but don't want to get
caught in a clusterfuck traffic jam to Milan and further south

Lastly she's against taking full size bicycles about as much as I am
on not taking fs bikes. I've looked at everything, Bike Fridays, the
S and S couplings, even bought a Damocles w/o ISP to insure I had a
modern bike to travel with but in the end nothing really beats having
a full size bike if you're going to ride.

Is anyone really satisfied on a bike with 16" wheels?

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 25, 2010, 7:00:55 PM8/25/10
"Anton Berlin" <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

16" wheels, no. But 20" wheels, as found on the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
(and Pocket Rocket Pro) do very well indeed. My son and I did the last 9
days of the Tour de France on Pocket Rockets and had no issues climbing the
Port de Bales, Soulor/Aubisque and Tourmalet. You get them custom-built to
your own dimensions so you can completely mimic your current road bike for
fit. Pretty amazing little machines.

But there's no way to get one soon enough; it takes about 4 weeks to have
one built up for you. But they do work, much better than I expected. And
it's fun passing people on "real" bikes who previously had made fun of you.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

derf...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2010, 9:21:30 PM8/25/10
> Lastly she's against taking full size bicycles about as much as I am
> on not taking fs bikes.  I've looked at everything, Bike Fridays, the
> S and S couplings, even bought a Damocles w/o ISP to insure I had a
> modern bike to travel with but in the end nothing really beats having
> a full size bike if you're going to ride.
>
> Is anyone really satisfied on a bike with 16" wheels?

Call up Mellow Johnny's and ask for advice. I'm sure they'll mess ...
I mean fix ... you up.

Easiest thing I've found is to just find a shop that will rent a road
bike. Have generally had good luck with that. Not in that area in
particular, but in other places in Italy (and other places in
Europe). Just bring pedals (and a few tools).

Anton Berlin

Aug 26, 2010, 9:45:13 AM8/26/10
On Aug 25, 6:00 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Mike,

Where is the center of the bottom bracket in relation to a straight
line drawn between the center of the hubs? Does this relationship
affect handling?

Anton Berlin

Aug 26, 2010, 9:46:36 AM8/26/10
She kept referring to me as "anton" when we were in the shop.... but
no one picked up on it.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 26, 2010, 2:52:56 PM8/26/10
======
Mike,

Where is the center of the bottom bracket in relation to a straight
line drawn between the center of the hubs? Does this relationship
affect handling?

======

On my son's Pocket Rocket, which corresponds to roughly 56cm, it's 57cm in
front (bb to front axle), 42.5cm in back (bb to rear axle). The
slightly-longer tail section is what gives it stability despite the smaller
wheels.

Your first few rides will find you feeling just a bit sketchy above 30mph.
That quickly goes away and soon descents at 40+ start to feel normal. My son
adapted more-quickly than I did and had no trouble keeping up with the
crazier folk descending in France. And some are *really* crazy.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Anton Berlin

Aug 26, 2010, 7:20:54 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 1:52 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>

Sorry I wasn't clearer about my question - it was more about height to
ground but you answered anyway in that there is some twitchiness.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 26, 2010, 11:00:47 PM8/26/10
====

Sorry I wasn't clearer about my question - it was more about height to
ground but you answered anyway in that there is some twitchiness.
====

Bottom bracket height is very slightly higher than "normal" (less than a
cm). The "twitchiness" is not something to be scared of. As I mentioned, you
get used to it very quickly, and once used to it, can easily switch between
your "normal" bike and the Bike Friday without any issues.