Andy Schmuck's Strategy ???

Anton Berlin

Jul 18, 2010, 11:27:46 AM7/18/10
Unless he's got a deal with Menchov and Sanchez to put Contrador on
the ropes for him by threatening GC.

Then thinks he can take them in the cols and TT today was fucking a
joke.

He needed to take more time out of AC and playing rope a dope was not
a good strategy IMHO.

Anyone else?

B. Lafferty

Jul 18, 2010, 11:33:57 AM7/18/10
Made little sense unless he couldn't do it physically toady, but he
looked good.

Anton Berlin

Jul 18, 2010, 11:36:26 AM7/18/10

Hell yes - if you're good enough to cover the attack you're more than
good enough to attack. All he had to do was take it to AC and make
him crack. He needs to FFS

Keith

Jul 18, 2010, 11:50:17 AM7/18/10
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 11:33:57 -0400, "B. Lafferty" <b...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

He probably wanted to show everyone (including himself) that Contador
couldn't drop him unlike on the way up to Mende...it's a start.

He knows 31 seconds (probably) won't be enough. He reckons he needs
1'30", I'm guessing less based on the last ITT in the 2007 Giro.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 18, 2010, 11:52:35 AM7/18/10
It will be interesting to watch this from the summit of the Port du Bales
tomorrow. I'll be careful about what I eat, because it might end up on the
pave if I see Contador and Schleck ride over the top hand-in-hand.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

RicodJour

Jul 18, 2010, 12:14:04 PM7/18/10

If you're clearly stronger you can do what you want, but if the
capabilities are fairly close, the first step is to erode someone's
confidence. Andy did a reasonable job of that today. For all of
Contador's explosiveness on a climb, Andy didn't seem particularly
worried, and was even willing to let it go to almost a track stand.
It shows he's not worried about Contador jumping and gapping him.

B. Lafferty

Jul 18, 2010, 12:52:40 PM7/18/10

I don't think it's wise to just sit on the wheel like Schleck did unless
her was afraid that if he attacked he would not be able to counter an
immediate counter-attack. If Schleck is less than three minutes ahead
of Contador the night before the ITT, he migh want to look for one of
those atomic suppositories Frankie found.

B. Lafferty

Jul 18, 2010, 12:57:48 PM7/18/10

Eat pasta with red clam sauce and projectile vomit if they do that.

S Perryman

Jul 18, 2010, 1:10:10 PM7/18/10
B. Lafferty wrote:

> On 7/18/2010 11:52 AM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

>> It will be interesting to watch this from the summit of the Port du
>> Bales tomorrow. I'll be careful about what I eat, because it might end
>> up on the pave if I see Contador and Schleck ride over the top hand-in-hand.

> Eat pasta with red clam sauce and projectile vomit if they do that.

Spinach puree might be a better choice IMHO (distance, colour etc) . :-)

Regards,
Steven Perryman

S Perryman

Jul 18, 2010, 1:22:27 PM7/18/10
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> It will be interesting to watch this from the summit of the Port du
> Bales tomorrow. I'll be careful about what I eat, because it might end
> up on the pave if I see Contador and Schleck ride over the top
> hand-in-hand.

Indeed.
But the profile of that climb suggests things do not have to be that way
unless Astana thrash out an evil pace for 2 hrs before the ascent.

The descent is not steep, and IMHO unless there are reams of technical
sections, a better descender is not going to swoop down and regain time
lost at the top.

There are 3 sections on the climb where the knives should be going in.

Someone should be looking to be 60-90 seconds ahead of their rivals at the
top, and force the latter to take risks on the descent.

Regards,
Steven Perryman

B. Lafferty

Jul 18, 2010, 1:32:28 PM7/18/10

I like that. My daughter once projectiled that at the dinner table.

Zeno

Jul 18, 2010, 2:44:45 PM7/18/10

Andy's strategy made no sense. He never even tested Alberto after
Alberto stopped working.. It had me wonder if they suffered
simulteneuos bonks.

Anton Berlin

Jul 18, 2010, 2:52:28 PM7/18/10

I think Schleck looked like he had more in the tank - AC realized that
he could be countered but at the same time AS needs a few minutes on
AC to be certain of a win before the TT. Menchov is also close enough
to put Andy on the third rung. Menchov can beat all of these guys in
a TT

Zeno

Jul 18, 2010, 3:12:32 PM7/18/10
> a TT- Hide quoted text -

In Andy & AC, I think we were watching two guys who lack
sophistication when it comes to making on the fly tactical decisions.

K. Fred Gauss

Jul 18, 2010, 3:43:13 PM7/18/10

That is a correct analysis.

AS better do better on Thurs.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 18, 2010, 4:15:18 PM7/18/10
"S Perryman" <a...@a.net> wrote in message

I rode that climb in 2007, and I will be riding it again tomorrow. If Port
du Bales doesn't split up the love birds, nothing will. Film (digital) at
11.

Mark

Jul 18, 2010, 5:30:04 PM7/18/10

Which I guess that is why Andy is leading the tour and you are just a
schmuck on the keyboard

Anton Berlin

Jul 18, 2010, 6:02:00 PM7/18/10

1. Not for long with his current strategy.
2. Then you're also a schmuck also on a keyboard.
3. That's what schmuckdom is all about, schmucks on bikes and schmucks
on keyboards discussing the schmucks on bikes with other schmucks.
Get creative dumbass.

Kurgan Gringioni

Jul 19, 2010, 1:21:45 AM7/19/10

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote in message
: It will be interesting to watch this from the summit of the Port du Bales

: tomorrow. I'll be careful about what I eat, because it might end up on the
: pave if I see Contador and Schleck ride over the top hand-in-hand.

Dumbass -

Nice to see that work hasn't overwhelmed your appreciation of racing.

Enjoy the spectacle!

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Kurgan Gringioni

Jul 19, 2010, 1:53:03 AM7/19/10

"Anton Berlin" <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: Unless he's got a deal with Menchov and Sanchez to put Contrador on

Dumbass -

Schleck is waiting for a better climb. Today's was too short. Contador is
better on than Schleck at that. Schleck's more suited to a longer climb.

He'll try attacking Contador in the longer Pyrenean climbs. May not work.
I''m just explaining the Saxo Bank thinking.

Betty

Jul 19, 2010, 5:57:26 AM7/19/10
Mark wrote:
> Which I guess that is why Andy is leading the tour and you are just a
> schmuck on the keyboard

We get bitched about when we don't post about racing and now we get
bitched about when we do post about racing. Maybe its time we got Kunich
back to discuss the mid term elections.

Anton Berlin

Jul 19, 2010, 8:20:32 AM7/19/10

Anton Berlin

Jul 19, 2010, 8:21:40 AM7/19/10

The fun is in in ranting from your own observations and not waiting
until all the evidence is in.

The internets have become too damn efficient.

Kurgan Gringioni

Jul 19, 2010, 11:25:33 AM7/19/10

"Anton Berlin" <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Dumbass -

As usual, I was right. Schleck attacked today.

Choppy Warburton

Jul 19, 2010, 11:36:17 AM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 10:25 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>

wrote:
> "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 19, 12:53 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > : Unless he's got a deal with Menchov and Sanchez to put Contrador on
> > : the ropes for him by threatening GC.
> > :
> > : Then thinks he can take them in the cols and TT today was fucking a
> > : joke.
> > :
> > : He needed to take more time out of AC and playing rope a dope was not
> > : a good strategy IMHO.
> > :
> > : Anyone else?
>
> > Dumbass -
>
> > Schleck is waiting for a better climb. Today's was too short. Contador is
> > better on than Schleck at that. Schleck's more suited to a longer climb.
>
> > He'll try attacking Contador in the longer Pyrenean climbs. May not work.
> > I''m just explaining the Saxo Bank thinking.
>
> > thanks,
>
> > Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
>
> :: yeah yeah
> ::
> ::http://www.steephill.tv/players/eurosport/v1/?title=Schleck%3A%20I%20...
> ::
> ::http://www.steephill.tv/players/eurosport/v1/?title=Riis%3A%20Schleck...

> Dumbass -
>
> As usual, I was right. Schleck attacked today.
>
> thanks,
>
> Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

But that's the point - you get time where you can. A chain can
always come off, a flat tire can always occur and then some
unsportsmanlike prick can always attack.

Fred Flintstein

Jul 19, 2010, 11:50:12 AM7/19/10
On 7/19/2010 10:36 AM, Choppy Warburton wrote:
> A chain can
> always come off, a flat tire can always occur and then some
> unsportsmanlike prick can always attack.

Dumbass,

Someone has to fuck up for a chain to come off. Either
the rider or his mechanic. They don't just jump off on
their own like a carbon fork or something.

Fred Flintstein

Kurgan Gringioni

Jul 19, 2010, 12:14:16 PM7/19/10

"Fred Flintstein" <bob.sc...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote in message

Dumbass -

Someone has to fuck up in a crash too.

Etiquitte is a soft rule, but it does exist.

Fred Flintstein

Jul 19, 2010, 12:25:45 PM7/19/10

LANCE hooking a musette strap was random.

It does make the race much more interesting. I hope Schleck
pulls a Floyd and loads up on the rest day. I'd like to see
him light it up on the Tourmalet. It's at times like this
that having a guy like Riis on your side is an advantage.

Fred Flinstein

Keith

Jul 19, 2010, 1:23:31 PM7/19/10
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:14:16 -0700, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<soulinth...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Fred Flintstein" <bob.sc...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote in message
>: On 7/19/2010 10:36 AM, Choppy Warburton wrote:
>: > A chain can
>: > always come off, a flat tire can always occur and then some
>: > unsportsmanlike prick can always attack.
>:
>: Dumbass,
>:
>: Someone has to fuck up for a chain to come off. Either
>: the rider or his mechanic. They don't just jump off on
>: their own like a carbon fork or something.

Looked like he hit a pretty serious bump on the road as his backwheel
jumped up several centimeters.

thirty-six

Jul 19, 2010, 1:32:00 PM7/19/10
On 19 July, 18:23, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:14:16 -0700, "Kurgan Gringioni"
>
> <soulinthemach...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Fred Flintstein" <bob.schwa...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote in message

> >: On 7/19/2010 10:36 AM, Choppy Warburton wrote:
> >: > A chain can
> >: > always come off, a flat tire can always occur and then some
> >: > unsportsmanlike prick can always attack.
> >:
> >: Dumbass,
> >:
> >: Someone has to fuck up for a chain to come off. Either
> >: the rider or his mechanic. They don't just jump off on
> >: their own like a carbon fork or something.
>
> Looked like he hit a pretty serious bump on the road as his backwheel
> jumped up several centimeters.

Was this bump experienced by others, or could it have originated from
a jamming gear at the crank bracket? Perhaps something fell down the
seat tube following an overnight adjustment.

William Fred

Jul 19, 2010, 1:45:32 PM7/19/10
Fred Flintstein <bob.sc...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote in news:-
ZCdnXooE7wX4dnR...@giganews.com:

> LANCE hooking a musette strap was random.
>
> It does make the race much more interesting. I hope Schleck
> pulls a Floyd and loads up on the rest day. I'd like to see
> him light it up on the Tourmalet. It's at times like this
> that having a guy like Riis on your side is an advantage.

You complete me.

--
Bill Fred

Kurgan Gringioni

Jul 19, 2010, 2:31:41 PM7/19/10

"thirty-six" <thirt...@live.co.uk> wrote in message

Dumbass -

It was the Gruber.

Amit Ghosh

Jul 19, 2010, 2:35:32 PM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 12:14 pm, "Kurgan Gringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dumbass -
>
> Someone has to fuck up in a crash too.
>
> Etiquitte is a soft rule, but it does exist.

dumbass,

etiquette in cycling works like this: if there is nothing at stake or
nothing to gain there is unwritten etiquette, if there is something to
gain then there in no consideration for etiquette.

when schleck's gruber failed the attacks were already underway.

thirty-six

Jul 19, 2010, 3:25:11 PM7/19/10
On 19 July, 19:31, "Kurgan Gringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "thirty-six" <thirty-...@live.co.uk> wrote in message

The 'adjusment' I was referring to was a new power pack.

Betty

Jul 19, 2010, 4:39:27 PM7/19/10
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> It was the Gruber.

Cheap radioshack batteries.

Zeno

Jul 19, 2010, 5:56:29 PM7/19/10

The idea that unwritten etiquette only matters when it doesn't matter
is clueless.

After the race, AC justified not waiting for Andy by saying that when
Andy had his mechanical, he (AC) had already started "an attack" and
he just continued it That is of course pure, unadulterated B.S. It
was Andy who was attacking AC, and he had put some space on him. AC
was playing catch up along with the others. When they passed the
yellow jersey, he was in the middle of the road trying to put his
chain back on.

Does AC think nobody saw what happened and he can pass along any lame
excuse? He panicked, took advantage, and then he lied about what
happened. That just tells me that AC quickly realized that not waiting
for Andy, though perfectly legal, made him look like an immature,
classless opportunist, rather than a great champion.

If AC had waited for Andy, he would have added to his legend, glory,
and honor --- and would still clobber Andy in the time trial anyway

Anton Berlin

Jul 19, 2010, 7:29:41 PM7/19/10

wrote:
> "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 19, 12:53 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > : Unless he's got a deal with Menchov and Sanchez to put Contrador on
> > : the ropes for him by threatening GC.
> > :
> > : Then thinks he can take them in the cols and TT today was fucking a
> > : joke.
> > :
> > : He needed to take more time out of AC and playing rope a dope was not
> > : a good strategy IMHO.
> > :
> > : Anyone else?
>
> > Dumbass -
>
> > Schleck is waiting for a better climb. Today's was too short. Contador is
> > better on than Schleck at that. Schleck's more suited to a longer climb.
>
> > He'll try attacking Contador in the longer Pyrenean climbs. May not work.
> > I''m just explaining the Saxo Bank thinking.
>
> > thanks,
>
> > Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
>
> :: yeah yeah
> ::
> ::http://www.steephill.tv/players/eurosport/v1/?title=Schleck%3A%20I%20...
> ::
> ::http://www.steephill.tv/players/eurosport/v1/?title=Riis%3A%20Schleck...

> Dumbass -
>
> As usual, I was right. Schleck attacked today.
>
> thanks,
>
> Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Tilford (and Riis) have an interesting take -

I’ve never raced the Tour. But, I’ve race a ton of long stage races.
I’m not sure if the riders are cognoscente of the live media coverage
or what. But, explain what was going on today? I mean between Schleck
and Contador?

All these people are raving about these “psychological battles”, “mind
games” and the mental pressure of the stage. Stupidity. That is the
only thing I can come up with here. Obviously, Andy Schleck wanted to
ride behind Contador on all the climbs. Especially the final climb. He
was worried that if he got ahead of Contador, Contador would jump him
and he wouldn’t be able to match the acceleration and loose more time.
So when Contador decides to call him on it, they both coast off the
back of the “field”. I understand it up to that point.

What I don’t understand is why they never finished it. They never
jumped. If you take someone off the back in bike racing, or get taken
off the back, and except that is what is happening, then you recognize
that you’ve been challenged or are challenging the rider you are with.
In that case, it is settled by one rider trying to bridge back up the
the group without the other. One of them needed to jump. But, no. We
don’t get to see what should of happened. By should, I mean, that both
riders knew what was up here.

I guess Andy Schleck blinked and told Alberto that he would pull back
up. What was that? They just gave 3rd and 4th on CG time and didn’t do
anything but ride stupidly. The time was kind of meaningless. Some
call it a truce. If it is a truce, then they should of called the
truce before they were 20 seconds behind and just ridden to the finish
with Menchov and Sanchez. I don’t get it. It must be something for TV.
Schleck needs time. If he wasn’t planning on getting any today then he
should of stayed with the lead group and kept his guard up for an
attack by Contador. Their posturing didn’t do anything for me. To me
it was like watching a okay movie that had an abrupt finish that
pronounces a sequel. Maybe I missed something.

Here it is a few hours after I posted this and saw this quote from
Bjarne Riis (Team director Saxo Bank) - “I think it was stupid for
both (to stop attacking). I don’t support those actions. When they are
in the middle of it, I don’t interfere (with tactics),” Riis said. I
was surprised to see he used the same adjective (stupid) as me. (And,
when they are in the middle of it, I don’t interfere with tactics
either.)

Frederick the Great

Jul 19, 2010, 11:17:50 PM7/19/10
In article
<1482631e-ac09-4a68...@w15g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
Zeno <zwarbi...@zenoswarbirdvideos.com> wrote:

I do not care about Contador as a great champion.
That is for wankers who have nothing better to do
on cold winter nights.

I care about Contador putting in the boot after
he matched Schleck's attack. Next winter I will
not think about it unless people are still arguing
about sportsmanship here.

I am beginning to think Magilla is right;
though that will change when he shows up.

In Contador's place after the stage,
Armstrong would have laughed.

--
Old Fritz

Betty

Jul 20, 2010, 5:22:41 AM7/20/10

William Fred wrote:
> You complete me.

No comment.

Betty

Jul 20, 2010, 5:48:37 AM7/20/10
Anton Berlin wrote:
> Anyone else?

Perhaps his strategy should include borrowing Boonen's chain watcher:
<http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/roubaix-tech-cancellaras-race-winning-rig/115233>

Fred Flintstein

Jul 20, 2010, 9:30:52 AM7/20/10

I'm not trying for complete, 60% would do.

Fred Flintstein