Steve Jobs

Brad Anders

Oct 5, 2011, 9:46:17 PM10/5/11
Amazing career, dead long before his time. Only 3 years older than me.
Makes me appreciate every day I have good health and can get out on my
bike.

Anyone here know him personally? Quite a conflicting character from
what you read, most of which I doubt is that accurate.

Michael Press

Oct 6, 2011, 6:10:24 AM10/6/11
In article
<223e57ef-a1fb-4ff7...@u6g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,
Did not know him. Spent a few years at Apple while he
was not there and after the second coming. The
expression "reality distortion field" was coined for
his effect on others. He instituted the most effective
and productive (money making) corporate secrecy ever
outside of government contractors. Nobody had to tell
you to keep your lip buttoned; it was in the air.

--
Michael Press

BL

Oct 6, 2011, 11:42:13 AM10/6/11
He was a marketing genius for sure. As a person? I read in one of his
obituaries that he gave virtually nothing to charity and that Greenpeace
has criticized him repeatedly for not making his products readily
recyclable. Also did not know that he was adopted and discovered he had
a half sister well into adulthood. Still, gone before his time. RIP.

Davey Crockett

Oct 6, 2011, 12:51:32 PM10/6/11
BL a écrit profondement:

| He was a marketing genius for sure. As a person? I read in one of his
| obituaries that he gave virtually nothing to charity and that
| Greenpeace has criticized him repeatedly for not making his products
| readily recyclable. Also did not know that he was adopted and
| discovered he had a half sister well into adulthood. Still, gone
| before his time. RIP.

"What people do is almost always better than what they are."
- Henri de Toulouse-Laurec-Monfa

--
Davey Crockett
When exactly did "Serve and Protect"

Simply Fred

Oct 6, 2011, 3:28:11 PM10/6/11
Davey Crockett wrote:
> "What people do is almost always better than what they are."
> - Henri de Toulouse-Laurec-Monfa

Presumably the almost part applies to Hitler and Stalin.

FAT

Oct 6, 2011, 3:44:15 PM10/6/11
The deader you are the better you were.

"Brad Anders" wrote in message

RicodJour

Oct 6, 2011, 6:08:33 PM10/6/11
On Oct 6, 12:51 pm, Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:

> "What people do is almost always better than what they are."
> - Henri de Toulouse-Laurec-Monfa

How can a French guy not know how to spell Lautrec?

That's like an American not knowing how to spell Skaneateles.

ilan

Oct 6, 2011, 6:17:06 PM10/6/11
ABOUT 20 years ago, I crossed him as he was roller skating on
University street in Palo Alto with a little girl, who I assume was
Lisa. I am thankful that this is the closest I ever came, I already
had a handful with the "other" Stephen, Wolfram that is, who tried to
use him as a role model (the closest he ever came was getting
Mathematica bundled with the Next for next to nothing).

I can't believe all the completely wrong testimonials as to his
legacy. I finally realized that they were in fact a tribute to his
reality distortion field.

-ilan

atriage

Oct 6, 2011, 6:33:35 PM10/6/11
On 06/10/2011 23:17, ilan wrote:
> On Oct 6, 9:44 pm, "FAT"<some...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> The deader you are the better you were.
>>
>> "Brad Anders" wrote in message

>> Amazing career, dead long before his time. Only 3 years older than me.
>> Makes me appreciate every day I have good health and can get out on my
>> bike.
>>
>> Anyone here know him personally? Quite a conflicting character from
>> what you read, most of which I doubt is that accurate.
>
> ABOUT 20 years ago, I crossed him as he was roller skating on
> University street in Palo Alto with a little girl, who I assume was
> Lisa. I am thankful that this is the closest I ever came, I already
> had a handful with the "other" Stephen, Wolfram that is, who tried to
> use him as a role model (the closest he ever came was getting
> Mathematica bundled with the Next for next to nothing).

Mathematica was bundled with the Next, well you live and learn, mind you the
price they charged for those things they could afford to. I wonder how much
Wolfram got per unit?

RicodJour

Oct 6, 2011, 6:35:56 PM10/6/11
On Oct 6, 6:17 pm, ilan <ilan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ABOUT 20 years ago, I crossed him as he was roller skating on
> University street in Palo Alto with a little girl, who I assume was
> Lisa. I am thankful that this is the closest I ever came, I already
> had a handful with the "other" Stephen, Wolfram that is, who tried to
> use him as a role model (the closest he ever came was getting
> Mathematica bundled with the Next for next to nothing).
>
> I can't believe all the completely wrong testimonials as to his
> legacy. I finally realized that they were in fact a tribute to his
> reality distortion field.

Ah, so he was a master of history making as well! The guy could do no
wrong. Can we count on you to support his early beatification?

PS What's with the ABOUT?

derf...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2011, 7:20:14 PM10/6/11
On Oct 6, 11:42 am, BL <b...@verizon.net> wrote:

> He was a marketing genius for sure. As a person?  I read in one of his
> obituaries that he gave virtually nothing to charity

So you're saying that LANCE is a better person than SJ, right?

ilan

Oct 6, 2011, 7:38:06 PM10/6/11
I never even heard a single person remark that the Apple brand name
was lifted from the Beatles, and they even mentioned the Beatles in
their hommage to Jobs. Even I can remember that the first time I heard
of an Apple computer, I thought that somehow, the band had got in on
comptuing.

-ilan

ilan

Oct 6, 2011, 7:43:36 PM10/6/11
On Oct 7, 12:35 am, RicodJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:

 Can we count on you to support his early beatification?

In memory of Steve Jobs, I will write all my future programs in Lisa
Pascal.

-ilan

P.S. I was surprised by the number of people who are actually named
Lisa Pascal.

RicodJour

Oct 6, 2011, 8:18:53 PM10/6/11
Right - and their GUI wasn't lifted from PARC.

You're pretty good at this history making stuff(up), too!

Davey Crockett

Oct 6, 2011, 8:33:41 PM10/6/11
ilan a écrit profondement:

| ABOUT 20 years ago, I crossed him as he was roller skating on
| University street in Palo Alto with a little girl, who I assume was
| Lisa. I am thankful that this is the closest I ever came, I already
| had a handful with the "other" Stephen, Wolfram that is, who tried to
| use him as a role model (the closest he ever came was getting
| Mathematica bundled with the Next for next to nothing).
>
| I can't believe all the completely wrong testimonials as to his
| legacy. I finally realized that they were in fact a tribute to his
| reality distortion field.

Interesting

I'm currently watching rtve's 24hours channel

They just ran a 5 minute eulogy for Stevie

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English

Fred Flintstein

Oct 6, 2011, 8:53:28 PM10/6/11
SJ's wife doesn't look anything at all like LANCE's mom.

ilan

Oct 6, 2011, 8:59:12 PM10/6/11
On Oct 7, 2:33 am, Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:
> ilan a crit profondement:
The legacy of Jobs' "appliance" vision of the Macintosh (which lost
Apple the PC market) was the rank and file icons on the iPhone which
are a direct throwback to the 1984 Superbowl commercial, which goes to
prove which side they are really on. Anyway, I spent a lot of effort
(and a bit of money) to randomize my iPhone icons even though it
looked awful. I finally ended up finding the best solution which was
to have no icons, I have a clean screen with everything on the dock,
same on the iPad.

-ilan

Brad Anders

Oct 6, 2011, 9:50:47 PM10/6/11
On Oct 6, 8:42 am, BL <b...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 10/6/2011 6:10 AM, Michael Press wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <223e57ef-a1fb-4ff7-89a9-5707d106a...@u6g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,
> >   Brad Anders<pband...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> >> Amazing career, dead long before his time. Only 3 years older than me.
> >> Makes me appreciate every day I have good health and can get out on my
> >> bike.
>
> >> Anyone here know him personally? Quite a conflicting character from
> >> what you read, most of which I doubt is that accurate.
>
> > Did not know him. Spent a few years at Apple while he
> > was not there and after the second coming. The
> > expression "reality distortion field" was coined for
> > his effect on others. He instituted the most effective
> > and productive (money making) corporate secrecy ever
> > outside of government contractors. Nobody had to tell
> > you to keep your lip buttoned; it was in the air.
>
> He was a marketing genius for sure. As a person?  I read in one of his
> obituaries that he gave virtually nothing to charity and that Greenpeace
> has criticized him repeatedly for not making his products readily
> recyclable. Also did not know that he was adopted and discovered he had
> a half sister well into adulthood. Still, gone before his time. RIP.

I doubt that when Intel's remaining two founders, Andy Grove and
Gordon Moore, pass away, that there will be as much hoopla as there
has been about Jobs. But both are responsible for as much of an impact
as Jobs, if not more, and both certainly gave back a huge amount of
their fortunes to the institutions that they came from and the
communities they lived in. Grove could be an asshole, but I've never
heard anyone say a bad word about Gordon. He used to ask to sit with
us at lunch and ask us what we were doing, a very personable and
friendly guy. The same could be said of many of the leaders in the
valley, who were fairly quiet, but made huge impacts to technology and
weren't so tight-pocketed.

Davey Crockett

Oct 6, 2011, 11:02:39 PM10/6/11
ilan a écrit profondement:

| The legacy of Jobs' "appliance" vision of the Macintosh (which lost
| Apple the PC market) was the rank and file icons on the iPhone which
| are a direct throwback to the 1984 Superbowl commercial, which goes to
| prove which side they are really on. Anyway, I spent a lot of effort
| (and a bit of money) to randomize my iPhone icons even though it
| looked awful. I finally ended up finding the best solution which was
| to have no icons, I have a clean screen with everything on the dock,
| same on the iPad.

I never owned any Apple product, neither computer nor phone.

However I did respect Job's products and my younger daughter uses them
exclusively.

I did recently become a bit of a "gadgeteer" though, but buy mostly from
Chana directly.

Frederick the Great

Oct 7, 2011, 1:04:51 AM10/7/11
In article
<44509684-332c-4605...@z12g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
How do we know Steve Jobs was not charitable?
From what we have heard he probably did not
take tax deductions for charitable contributions.
Many people prefer that their charity be not public,
and Steve Jobs held his cards close to his chest.

--
Old Fritz

Simply Fred

Oct 7, 2011, 5:07:03 AM10/7/11
ilan wrote:
> In memory of Steve Jobs, I will write all my future programs in Lisa
> Pascal.

And you can look forward to upgrading to Objective C.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Oct 7, 2011, 5:17:49 AM10/7/11
On Oct 6, 3:17 pm, ilan <ilan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ABOUT 20 years ago, I crossed him as he was roller skating on
> University street in Palo Alto with a little girl, who I assume was
> Lisa. I am thankful that this is the closest I ever came, I already
> had a handful with the "other" Stephen, Wolfram that is, who tried to
> use him as a role model (the closest he ever came was getting
> Mathematica bundled with the Next for next to nothing).
>
> I can't believe all the completely wrong testimonials as to his
> legacy. I finally realized that they were in fact a tribute to his
> reality distortion field.

Jobs didn't really _invent_ anything himself, which
is why you and I are writing these posts on Xerox Altos.
Right?

Fredmaster Ben
has used both a Xerox Alto and a Lisa, but not for
anything particularly useful

BL

Oct 7, 2011, 9:35:16 AM10/7/11
LOL.

BL

Oct 7, 2011, 9:36:39 AM10/7/11
Contact the BBC. They reported it in their obituary.

FAT

Oct 7, 2011, 10:30:11 AM10/7/11
The Grove/Jobs management style cost Intel a lot of talent over the years.
They confuse good management with monopoly power. They will suffer the same
fate as Kodak.

"Brad Anders" wrote in message

Davey Crockett

Oct 7, 2011, 3:15:41 PM10/7/11
ilan a écrit profondement:
Percy Stallman:
06 October 2011 (Steve Jobs)

Steve Jobs, the pioneer of the computer as a jail made cool, designed to
sever fools from their freedom, has died.

As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor
Daley, "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone." Nobody deserves
to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of
bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign
influence on people's computing.

Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence. We can only
hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his legacy, will be
less effective.

==

Poster on UNIX Forum (Re: Stallman)
Seriously?? Can't he keep his mouth shut for 3 seconds? Guy needs to
learn to choose his battles.

==

Poster on UNIX Forum:
As much as Jobs was a fairly big freedom hater, Apple may get even
worst without him, because they are probably facing desperate
times ahead, with competition (fair competition), and my guess is they
will become strictly a "levy lawsuits" company, and try to milk
what they have for as long as they can before hanging it up.

I am probably different then most people on sizing up Jobs legacy, to
me, its 99.9999% apple I apple ][, Lisa, and Mac (so basically work
until 1986 or so), and .000001% since then. Most people (typical
consumer) it is probably the opposite, and the ipad, iphone and ipad are
where they give Jobs the nod, which I think is very very flawed.

==

Poster on UNIX Forum:
Anyone could write and release a program for the Palm Pilot.

Anyone can do so for a Windows PC.

Anyone can do so for a Linux PC, BSD, AIX, etc.

Anyone can do so for Symbian based phones.

Anyone can do so for java supporting phones.

Only those people and applications approved by Apple can release
applications for the iphone/ipad/ipod. And they can only be released
through Apple, and Apple wants a 30% cut, and wants to set all the rules
on what and how your application does things.

Not sure about Android, but I hate that too.

--
Davey Crockett
=

ilan

Oct 7, 2011, 3:57:42 PM10/7/11
On Oct 7, 9:15 pm, Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:
> ilan a crit profondement:

Thanks. I totally agree with the first quote. I don't quite agree with
the second. The substitution of Unix for Mac OS was a big move which
was based on technology developed at Next (post 1986), and rarely has
a company completely redesigned their OS with such a big improvement.
It is also the basis of the iPhone OS, making it a very nice
programming base. The third guy is basically correct, but has missed
the point, the best iPhone/iPad applications are "unapproved"
jailbreak programs, and most of Apple's updates are to implement them
years later. I am very happy with my OS 3 jailbroken iPhone which runs
better than the standard OS 4. Luckily, the justice system doesn't
agree with Steve Jobs' "vision" and has declared it unconstitutional.

I'm beating a dead horse, but this is how I'll always remember Steve
Jobs: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9852738-52.html

-ilan

Frederick the Great

Oct 7, 2011, 6:34:40 PM10/7/11
In article <JMqdnWXnJs_4nRLT...@giganews.com>,
You contact them, you are so interested.

--
Old Fritz

Bob Martin

Oct 8, 2011, 1:42:58 AM10/8/11
in 658961 20111007 201541 Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:

>Not sure about Android, but I hate that too.

Why?

Davey Crockett

Oct 8, 2011, 9:28:08 AM10/8/11
Bob Martin a �crit profondement:

| in 658961 20111007 201541 Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:
>

| >Not sure about Android, but I hate that too.
| >

| Why?

No idea Bob

I was quoting another poster

BL

Oct 8, 2011, 10:26:56 AM10/8/11
On 10/7/2011 6:34 PM, Frederick the Great wrote:
> In article<JMqdnWXnJs_4nRLT...@giganews.com>,
Nah. It's apparently your issue. If you think the BBC is in error, let
them know.

Frederick the Great

Oct 8, 2011, 1:25:35 PM10/8/11
In article <dYWdnb66A6AywA3T...@giganews.com>,
BL <b...@verizon.net> wrote:

My interest is piqued by people who use `issue' for problem.
Has the Beeb descended to this, as well?

> If you think the BBC is in error,

No idea where you got this hypothesis.

> let
> them know.

This is the second time you told me to go to the BBC.
If you want to get that you will have pay me my
professional rate.

--
Old Fritz

Jimmy July

Oct 8, 2011, 1:52:33 PM10/8/11
On 10/6/2011 8:42 AM, BL wrote:
> On 10/6/2011 6:10 AM, Michael Press wrote:
>> In article
>> <223e57ef-a1fb-4ff7...@u6g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,

>> Brad Anders<pban...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Amazing career, dead long before his time. Only 3 years older than me.
>>> Makes me appreciate every day I have good health and can get out on my
>>> bike.
>>>
>>> Anyone here know him personally? Quite a conflicting character from
>>> what you read, most of which I doubt is that accurate.
>>
>> Did not know him. Spent a few years at Apple while he
>> was not there and after the second coming. The
>> expression "reality distortion field" was coined for
>> his effect on others. He instituted the most effective
>> and productive (money making) corporate secrecy ever
>> outside of government contractors. Nobody had to tell
>> you to keep your lip buttoned; it was in the air.
>>
> He was a marketing genius for sure. As a person? I read in one of his
> obituaries that he gave virtually nothing to charity and that Greenpeace
> has criticized him repeatedly for not making his products readily
> recyclable. Also did not know that he was adopted and discovered he had
> a half sister well into adulthood. Still, gone before his time. RIP.

Jobs was a doper:
http://www.thefix.com/news#justin1325

BL

Oct 10, 2011, 7:36:24 PM10/10/11
On 10/8/2011 1:25 PM, Frederick the Great wrote:
> In article<dYWdnb66A6AywA3T...@giganews.com>,
Whatever................

Frederick the Great

Oct 11, 2011, 4:01:09 AM10/11/11
In article <A6qdnZaGyuvqHA7T...@giganews.com>,
BL <b...@verizon.net> wrote:

Good. Send me my retainer, and I will get right on it.
Amount to you by email.

--
Old Fritz

BL

Oct 11, 2011, 3:56:32 PM10/11/11
On 10/11/2011 4:01 AM, Frederick the Great wrote:
> In article<A6qdnZaGyuvqHA7T...@giganews.com>,
The check is in the mail.

Simply Fred

Oct 11, 2011, 4:06:00 PM10/11/11

BL wrote:
> The check is in the mail.

He's got a discount on Saudi ambassadors this month but you'll have to
pay the going rate to have LANCE terminated with extreme prejudice.

Fred Flintstein

Oct 11, 2011, 4:15:56 PM10/11/11
On 10/11/2011 3:01 AM, Frederick the Great wrote:
> In article<A6qdnZaGyuvqHA7T...@giganews.com>,

> BL<b...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/8/2011 1:25 PM, Frederick the Great wrote:

> Good. Send me my retainer, and I will get right on it.
> Amount to you by email.

Dumbass,

There are people that can't let it drop. Laff is one of them.
That means it's up to you. Your reward is that people here
won't assume you are mentally ill.

Frederick the Great

Oct 11, 2011, 4:41:21 PM10/11/11
In article <IK2dncHWhLthPgnT...@giganews.com>,
Fred Flintstein <bob.sc...@sbcremoveglobal.net> wrote:

Now if I do not reply then y'all will think
it is because I saw the light, or took your
advice, or do not want to appear mentally ill.
None of those cases holds.

--
Old Fritz

BL

Oct 12, 2011, 10:29:32 AM10/12/11
LOL! Just look at you.

Plano Dude

Oct 12, 2011, 1:39:38 PM10/12/11
On Oct 5, 8:46 pm, Brad Anders <pband...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Amazing career, dead long before his time. Only 3 years older than me.
> Makes me appreciate every day I have good health and can get out on my
> bike.
>
> Anyone here know him personally? Quite a conflicting character from
> what you read, most of which I doubt is that accurate.

http://womensissues.about.com/b/2011/10/06/a-tale-of-two-siblings-steve-jobs-and-mona-simpson.htm?nl=1

Davey Crockett

Oct 12, 2011, 3:02:27 PM10/12/11
ilan a �crit profondement:

| I can't believe all the completely wrong testimonials as to his
| legacy. I finally realized that they were in fact a tribute to his
| reality distortion field.

Here's another eulogy

"What Everyone Is Too Polite to Say About Steve Jobs"

In 2010, the Daily Mail managed to get a reporter inside a facility in
China that manufactures products for Apple and the paper shared a bit
about what life is like:

With the complex at peak production, operating 24 hours a day, seven
days a week to meet the global demand for Apple phones and
computers, a typical day begins with the Chinese national anthem
being played over loudspeakers, with the words: 'Arise, arise,
arise, millions of hearts with one mind.'

As part of this Orwellian control, the public address system
constantly relays propaganda, such as how many products have been
made; how a new basketball court has been built for the workers; and
why workers should 'value efficiency every minute, every second'.

With other company slogans painted on workshop walls - including
exhortations to 'achieve goals unless the sun no longer rises' and
to 'gather all of the elite and Foxconn will get stronger and
stronger' - the employees work up to 15-hour shifts.

Down narrow, prison-like corridors, they sleep in cramped rooms in
triple-decked bunk beds to save space, with simple bamboo mats for
mattresses.

Despite summer temperatures hitting 35 degrees, with 90 per cent
humidity, there is no air-conditioning. Workers say some dormitories
house more than 40 people and are infested with ants and
cockroaches, with the noise and stench making it difficult to
sleep.

http://gawker.com/5847344/what-everyone-is-too-polite-to-say-about-steve-jobs

--
Davey Crockett
Tokyo might Glow in the Dark, but at least the Nips won't freeze.

Frederick the Great

Oct 12, 2011, 5:05:29 PM10/12/11
In article <85aa96y...@azurservers.com>,
Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:

> ilan a écrit profondement:
>

> | I can't believe all the completely wrong testimonials as to his
> | legacy. I finally realized that they were in fact a tribute to his
> | reality distortion field.
>
> Here's another eulogy

Eulogy [Gr. , from well speaking; well + to speak.
Cf. Eulogium, and see Legend.]
A speech or writing in commendation of the character or services
of a person; as, a fitting eulogy to worth.

Oh, I get it. You are being ironic.

--
Old Fritz

Simply Fred

Oct 13, 2011, 5:04:42 AM10/13/11

Frederick the Great wrote:
> Oh, I get it. You are being ironic.

WADA will get him.

Davey Crockett

Oct 13, 2011, 8:15:43 AM10/13/11
Frederick the Great a �crit profondement:

| Cf. Eulogium, and see Legend.]
| A speech or writing in commendation of the character or services
| of a person; as, a fitting eulogy to worth.
>
| Oh, I get it. You are being ironic.

Qui sine....

Frederick the Great

Oct 13, 2011, 3:13:38 PM10/13/11
In article <85obxlw...@azurservers.com>,
Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:

> Frederick the Great a écrit profondement:

> | Cf. Eulogium, and see Legend.]
> | A speech or writing in commendation of the character or services
> | of a person; as, a fitting eulogy to worth.
> >
> | Oh, I get it. You are being ironic.
>
> Qui sine....

Davey: our daily irony pill.

--