When?

1 view

BLafferty

Jan 5, 2011, 4:34:00 PM1/5/11
Given that Armstrong is going to Australia to race, I have to wonder if
there is a sealed indictment out there since Tuesday's meeting of the
Federal Grand Jury in Central California. Will he be asked to surrender
for arraignment before he leaves or when he comes back?

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jan 6, 2011, 5:39:26 PM1/6/11
"BLafferty" <b...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

OK, let's play this out a bit. Is there an issue if Lance is out of the
country at the time? If not, why wouldn't it be prudent for Lance, whether
he has anything to be concerned about or not, to head to Oz a few days
early? And for us dummies, what exactly does "surrender for arraignment"
mean, in this context?

Thanks-

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jan 6, 2011, 6:03:19 PM1/6/11
On Jan 6, 3:39 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote:
> "BLafferty" <b...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> > Given that Armstrong is going to Australia to race, I have to wonder if
> > there is a sealed indictment out there since Tuesday's meeting of the
> > Federal Grand Jury in Central California. Will he be asked to surrender
> > for arraignment before he leaves or when he comes back?
>
> OK, let's play this out a bit. Is there an issue if Lance is out of the
> country at the time? If not, why wouldn't it be prudent for Lance, whether
> he has anything to be concerned about or not, to head to Oz a few days
> early? And for us dummies, what exactly does "surrender for arraignment"
> mean, in this context?

Dumbass,

Let me explain.

The Grand Jury meets on Tuesdays. Wednesday comes
after Tuesday. Therefore, the heathen Armstrong will be
clapped in irons on a Wednesday in January.

Lafferty posted on the first Wednesday, as of which by
some unaccountable quirk Mr. Armstrong had not yet been
publicly indicted. However, the eagle-eyed Brian noted
that LANCE was going to Australia to race, and that
perhaps an indictment *had* been returned but had been
sealed until Mr. Armstrong's return - perhaps to insure
Mr. Armstrong's return. One would not want a dangerous
man such as LANCE to become a Fugitive from Justice.

See, even though there's no indictment, there might be
an indictment. One can always hope. Time will tell.

Sincerely,
Fredmaster Ben

BLafferty

Jan 7, 2011, 1:04:15 PM1/7/11
On 1/6/2011 6:03 PM, Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> On Jan 6, 3:39 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"<Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote:
>> "BLafferty"<b...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> Given that Armstrong is going to Australia to race, I have to wonder if
>>> there is a sealed indictment out there since Tuesday's meeting of the
>>> Federal Grand Jury in Central California. Will he be asked to surrender
>>> for arraignment before he leaves or when he comes back?
>>
>> OK, let's play this out a bit. Is there an issue if Lance is out of the
>> country at the time? If not, why wouldn't it be prudent for Lance, whether
>> he has anything to be concerned about or not, to head to Oz a few days
>> early? And for us dummies, what exactly does "surrender for arraignment"
>> mean, in this context?

Sometimes, the AUSA will arrange with a target's counsel for the target
to surrender himself at the courthouse for booking and arraignment.
That saves the feds from having to go out and find the defendant and
arrest him. It saves the defendant already represented by counsel the
embarrassment of being publicly arrested and may save the defendant from
a video perp walk on the nightly news. However, where a defendant has
annoyed the US Attorney, it's often more likely that the US Attorney
will opt for the perp walk and even give notice to the press as to the
time and place of arrest.

> Dumbass,
>
> Let me explain.
>
> The Grand Jury meets on Tuesdays. Wednesday comes
> after Tuesday. Therefore, the heathen Armstrong will be
> clapped in irons on a Wednesday in January.

Not necessarily. If the indictment is sealed, as it most likely will
be, they would make the arrest when they felt it was advisable. They
might coordinate picking everyone up at the same time, but it's
completely the AUSA's call.

RicodJour

Jan 7, 2011, 2:43:44 PM1/7/11
On Jan 7, 1:04 pm, BLafferty <b...@nowhere.com> wrote: