What's the ruckus?

Frederick the Great

Jul 19, 2010, 6:20:22 PM7/19/10
Schleck attacked.
Contador counter-attacked.
Schleck came unhooked.

Somebody punches you in the mouth,
then says, "Stop. Neutralize this.
I cut my knuckle on your broken tooth."

I never heard such a load of feel-good
codswallop since I quit the folk-singing business.

--
Old Fritz

Anton Berlin

Jul 19, 2010, 7:34:15 PM7/19/10

That's not what happened and everyone knows it. AS had a mechanical
then AC attacked. Then AC 2nd thought it and let Sanchez and Menchov
do his dirty work.

Even doping scum Armstrong didn't pull this kind of shit.

thirty-six

Jul 19, 2010, 8:54:54 PM7/19/10

I think THe Tour would prefer the Luxemburger to win than the funny
looking fellow from overseas. I mean Schleck has the looks of a tour
"champion" and idols of days gone by. He is made for the part.

--D-y

Jul 19, 2010, 9:00:38 PM7/19/10

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passage_du_Gois>

As I remember, he rode at the front due to the crash that was bound to
happen on the slippery racing surface.
--D-y

TheCoz

Jul 19, 2010, 9:19:52 PM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 6:34 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:

LA also admits AC did the right thing. I truly believe AC saw what was
going on, his bike has brakes just like all the others. He could have
pulled up, and Sanchez and Manchov surly would have took respect and
done the same.
Coz

Frederick the Great

Jul 19, 2010, 10:42:40 PM7/19/10
In article
<48d28d5f-32c9-433c...@f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jul 19, 5:20 pm, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > Schleck attacked.
> > Contador counter-attacked.
> > Schleck came unhooked.
> >
> > Somebody punches you in the mouth,
> > then says, "Stop. Neutralize this.
> > I cut my knuckle on your broken tooth."
> >
> > I never heard such a load of feel-good
> > codswallop since I quit the folk-singing business.
>

> That's not what happened and everyone knows it.

Except I who saw Schleck four bike lengths
in front of Contador working full out.
That is an attack. At the moment the announcers
said Schleck attacked. Later they abandoned that.

> AS had a mechanical
> then AC attacked.

Wrong. Contador was counter-attacking
before Schleck threw a chain.

Schleck attacked.
Contador counter-attacked.

> Then AC 2nd thought it and let Sanchez and Menchov
> do his dirty work.

You have the cleanest mind in Christendom.

--
Old Fritz

raamman

Jul 19, 2010, 10:53:32 PM7/19/10

it's about sportsmanship; shouldn't have to explain it - but I guess
you're the type to sucker-punch your opponent after the bell. although
in yellow, AC could have proved he is a worthy champion by not taking
advantage of a temporary mechanical mishap, but instead choose to
demonstrate he has no class- I read that he was booed by the crowd
during the ceremony- they got it, I'm sure he got it too.

raamman

Jul 19, 2010, 11:04:58 PM7/19/10
> Coz- Hide quoted text -

LA is wrong, he is forgetting that Jan & co waited for him when he was
taken down by a spectator and then had problems clipping back in; AC
could've soft peddaled until Andy caught back on; with Menchov and
Sanchez 2:30 down AC had no reason to fear losing such time to them by
giving Andy a fair shake.

Anton Berlin

Jul 19, 2010, 11:16:27 PM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 9:42 pm, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article
> <48d28d5f-32c9-433c-8a43-2e3b7c538...@f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

Your mind is on the Fritz - first you said the Coen brothers are from
Texas and now you're saying that Contrador was countering? Bullshit.

coterock

Jul 19, 2010, 11:34:45 PM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 10:42 pm, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article
> <48d28d5f-32c9-433c-8a43-2e3b7c538...@f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

No no no. WRONG !! I just watched the incident several times. A.
Schleck attacked with Vino, AC, Sanchez etc behind. A. Schleck drops
his chain, rather obviously. Vino counter attacks then AC, then maybe
10' behind, goes after Vino. I cannot see how AC did not see what
happened.

O.K. you could argue that that is sport, but AC went to youtube to
offer his version. He said “Right when I attacked Andy had a
mechanical on the last climb. The race was in full gear and, well,
maybe I made a mistake, I'm sorry."

Effing liar, just watch the video.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-makes-youtube-apology-to-schleck

Davey Crockett

Jul 20, 2010, 12:04:34 AM7/20/10
raamman a écrit profondement:

| it's about sportsmanship; shouldn't have to explain it - but I guess
| you're the type to sucker-punch your opponent after the bell. although
| in yellow, AC could have proved he is a worthy champion by not taking
| advantage of a temporary mechanical mishap, but instead choose to
| demonstrate he has no class- I read that he was booed by the crowd
| during the ceremony- they got it, I'm sure he got it too.

Pardon me, but I had thought the Gay Games was next month

--
There can be little doubt that America, along with the west as a
whole, is being set up for a total collapse in which life as we know

sam

Jul 20, 2010, 1:10:46 AM7/20/10
In article <48d28d5f-32c9-433c-8a43-2e3b7c538b66
@f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, truth...@yahoo.com says...

This is a bike race and Contador is in it to win. That being
said, it's one thing to keep the pace when the Yellow Jersey
has a mechanical; it's another to attack. It's certainly not
the most honorable thing.

I've never heard of a racer getting booed on a race stage
podium. Anyone?

bucky3

Jul 20, 2010, 4:22:10 AM7/20/10
On Jul 19, 10:10 pm, sam <nos...@nospam.spam> wrote:
> This is a bike race and Contador is in it to win. That being
> said, it's one thing to keep the pace when the Yellow Jersey
> has a mechanical; it's another to attack. It's certainly not
> the most honorable thing.
>
> I've never heard of a racer getting booed on a race stage
> podium. Anyone?

This seals Contador for the brown jersey... for the biggest a-hole. He
was already pretty borderline with disrespecting his own teammates
(Kloden last year, Vino this year), but this is a clear sign to the
entire world that Contador is the unclassiest rider out there.

Karma will come around for Contador. Maybe he'll crash or fail a test.

Betty

Jul 20, 2010, 5:03:10 AM7/20/10
bucky3 wrote:
> Karma will come around for Contador. Maybe he'll crash or fail a test.

Schleck would prefer Instant Karma.

Davey Crockett

Jul 20, 2010, 8:16:36 AM7/20/10
sam a écrit profondement:

Remember Anquetil riding the two laps on the Parc des Princes and
subsequently on the podium in 1959?

And several others I could mention too

--
Sieg Heil Uganda
For making homosexuality punishable by Death

sam

Jul 20, 2010, 9:02:17 AM7/20/10
In article <871vayi...@darkstar1.azurservers.com>,
r...@azurservers.com says...

I actually do not remember that.

Davey Crockett

Jul 20, 2010, 10:00:57 AM7/20/10
sam a écrit profondement:

| > Remember Anquetil riding the two laps on the Parc des Princes and
| > subsequently on the podium in 1959?
| >
| > And several others I could mention too
>
| I actually do not remember that.

Then you don't know shit about shit

--
Will someone please tell M'Bongo ::
The notion that governments derive their only just authority from

Davey Crockett

Jul 20, 2010, 12:12:26 PM7/20/10
Davey Crockett a écrit profondement:

| Remember Anquetil riding the two laps on the Parc des Princes and
| subsequently on the podium in 1959?
>
| And several others I could mention too

Similarly, read up about the '51 Ronde when Fiorenzo shed all his break
companions by Strijpen, and put around 8 minutes into the next man home
after riding the last 75 klicks on his own to take his third consecutive
Ronde in Gand-Wetteren..

The next four riders were all "vreemdelingen" (foreigners) too

You should have heard the Flahuts expressing their opinion of that
scenario ;)

They felt so bad that they wouldn't even let Fiorenzo start the next
year.

http://69.165.217.79:6080/rbr/fiorenzo.jpg
1956 Giro

--
Unix is very user friendly.
It's just very fussy who it's friends are.

Michael Press

Jul 20, 2010, 1:43:45 PM7/20/10
In article
<9086eb75-9e36-4215...@w30g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>,
Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Your mind is on the Fritz - first you said the Coen brothers are from
> Texas and now you're saying that Contrador was countering? Bullshit.

Contador was on Schleck's wheel the whole way.
All of a sudden AS is four bike lengths ahead of AC.
What is that? It is an attack. What does AC do?
He counter attacks.

--
Michael Press

Frederick the Great

Jul 20, 2010, 1:47:02 PM7/20/10
In article <MPG.26aeebd2c...@news.supernews.com>,
sam <nos...@nospam.spam> wrote:

> In article <48d28d5f-32c9-433c-8a43-2e3b7c538b66
> @f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, truth...@yahoo.com says...
> >
> > On Jul 19, 5:20 pm, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > > Schleck attacked.
> > > Contador counter-attacked.
> > > Schleck came unhooked.
> > >
> > > Somebody punches you in the mouth,
> > > then says, "Stop. Neutralize this.
> > > I cut my knuckle on your broken tooth."
> > >
> > > I never heard such a load of feel-good
> > > codswallop since I quit the folk-singing business.
> >

> > That's not what happened and everyone knows it. AS had a mechanical
> > then AC attacked. Then AC 2nd thought it and let Sanchez and Menchov
> > do his dirty work.
> >
> > Even doping scum Armstrong didn't pull this kind of shit.
>
> This is a bike race and Contador is in it to win. That being
> said, it's one thing to keep the pace when the Yellow Jersey
> has a mechanical; it's another to attack. It's certainly not
> the most honorable thing.
>
> I've never heard of a racer getting booed on a race stage
> podium. Anyone?

Schleck did not exactly have a mechanical. He was
attacking for all he was worth and missed a shift under
the pressure of trying to win the race. He is fair game
at that point.

--
Old Fritz

Anton Berlin

Jul 20, 2010, 2:13:31 PM7/20/10
On Jul 20, 12:47 pm, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article <MPG.26aeebd2cbef038a989...@news.supernews.com>,

>  sam <nos...@nospam.spam> wrote:
> > In article <48d28d5f-32c9-433c-8a43-2e3b7c538b66
> > @f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, truth_88...@yahoo.com says...

That's 20/20 hind site and 100% rationalizing.

Anton Berlin

Jul 20, 2010, 2:14:29 PM7/20/10
On Jul 20, 12:43 pm, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article
> <9086eb75-9e36-4215-b0fe-859469dde...@w30g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>,

Not a counter attack when your opponent has stopped pedaling. Even
the dipshit announcers realized it and they are the dumbest form of
life on the planet.

RicodJour

Jul 20, 2010, 2:25:31 PM7/20/10

AS didn't only stop pedaling, he got off the bike. What did Contador
think? That Schleck was so awed by Contador's acceleration that AS
figured he had stopped and got off to check what was wrong with his
bike?

The whole attack/counter-attack rationale is spurious at best. As
soon as someone realizes that the yellow jersey is having a mechanical/
accident/violent-bout-of-diarrhea-leading-to-the-necessity-of-
injecting-an-iron-supplement-(wink, wink, nudge, nudge), then a
sportsman would stop pressing home the advantage.

It's no different than calling a penalty on yourself in golf, whether
or not anyone else saw the infraction. Contador is a great rider,
but, as LANCE said, he's still got a lot to learn.

And speaking of learning, I wonder if AS will learn how to pull the
cork and let the demons out. He doesn't seem to get angry very often,
so I wonder if the chain drop will put more of an edge into his
riding. His brother is no longer around acting as his security
blanket, so just maybe...

Ben Trovato

Jul 20, 2010, 2:40:12 PM7/20/10

What is it with today's blubbering youth and their brown-nosed fan
boys?
If ASchleck had been competent enough to put his chain back on in one
go, let alone not knock it off to begin with, we wouldn't be having
this discussion. Suck it up and drive on.

Michael Press

Jul 20, 2010, 7:21:53 PM7/20/10
In article
<0bd02b4e-c0f1-48eb...@e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> That's 20/20 hind site and 100% rationalizing.

What happened in the moment is that
Schleck attacked and got four bike
lengths on Contador. AC counter-attacked
and AS caved in under pressure. It is a
bicycle race.

--
Michael Press

Frederick the Great

Jul 20, 2010, 7:30:40 PM7/20/10
In article
<de0c8c97-4bc1-4567...@u26g2000yqu.googlegroups.com>,
raamman <raa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 19, 6:20 pm, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > Schleck attacked.
> > Contador counter-attacked.
> > Schleck came unhooked.
> >
> > Somebody punches you in the mouth,
> > then says, "Stop. Neutralize this.
> > I cut my knuckle on your broken tooth."
> >
> > I never heard such a load of feel-good
> > codswallop since I quit the folk-singing business.
>

> it's about sportsmanship;

It is a bicycle race;
it is about crushing
your opponent's ego.

> shouldn't have to explain it

Then don't.

> - but I guess
> you're the type to sucker-punch your opponent after the bell.

What makes you say that?

> although
> in yellow, AC could have proved he is a worthy champion by not taking
> advantage of a temporary mechanical mishap, but instead choose to
> demonstrate he has no class- I read that he was booed by the crowd
> during the ceremony- they got it, I'm sure he got it too.

I do not care about sportsmanship. I do not care that
people booed at the podium presentation. You want
things to go according to a script in yourself, and
when they do not you kick up a fuss about worthy champions.

--
Old Fritz

RicodJour

Jul 20, 2010, 9:38:44 PM7/20/10
On Jul 20, 2:40 pm, Ben Trovato <benn.trov...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What is it with today's blubbering youth and their brown-nosed fan
> boys?
> If ASchleck had been competent enough to put his chain back on in one
> go, let alone not knock it off to begin with, we wouldn't be having
> this discussion.  Suck it up and drive on.

And Contador, accredited master bike mechanic and sheep herder, knew
this at a glance? Schleck had a mechanical. AC took advantage of it
without stopping to determine if it was a minor or major hindrance.
He saw an opening and took it. I used to do that with candy bars in
grocery stores when I was 8.

Amit Ghosh

Jul 20, 2010, 9:54:12 PM7/20/10
On Jul 20, 7:21 pm, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> What happened in the moment is that
> Schleck attacked and got four bike
> lengths on Contador. AC counter-attacked
> and AS caved in under pressure. It is a
> bicycle race.

dumbass,

i agree, schleck has everyone drinking his kool aid. after he gained
10 secs he was acting like he crushed contador. he will be punished
for his arrogance in the TT,

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 21, 2010, 2:41:50 AM7/21/10
On Jul 19, 5:54 pm, thirty-six <thirty-...@live.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20 July, 00:34, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > On Jul 19, 5:20 pm, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > > Schleck attacked.
> > > Contador counter-attacked.
> > > Schleck came unhooked.
>
> > > Somebody punches you in the mouth,
> > > then says, "Stop. Neutralize this.
> > > I cut my knuckle on your broken tooth."
>
> > > I never heard such a load of feel-good
> > > codswallop since I quit the folk-singing business.
>
> > > --
> > > Old Fritz

> > That's not what happened and everyone knows it.  AS had a mechanical
> > then AC attacked.  Then AC 2nd thought it and let Sanchez and Menchov
> > do his dirty work.
>
> > Even doping scum Armstrong didn't pull this kind of shit.
>
> I think THe Tour would prefer the Luxemburger to win than the funny
> looking fellow from overseas.  I mean Schleck has the looks of a tour
> "champion" and idols of days gone by.  He is made for the part.- Hide quoted text -

AS looks like idols of days gone bye??? AS looks like ET's human
intergalactic cousin...

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 21, 2010, 2:49:23 AM7/21/10
On Jul 20, 10:47 am, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article <MPG.26aeebd2cbef038a989...@news.supernews.com>,

>  sam <nos...@nospam.spam> wrote:
> > In article <48d28d5f-32c9-433c-8a43-2e3b7c538b66
> > @f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, truth_88...@yahoo.com says...

> > > That's not what happened and everyone knows it.  AS had a mechanical
> > > then AC attacked.  Then AC 2nd thought it and let Sanchez and Menchov
> > > do his dirty work.
>
> > > Even doping scum Armstrong didn't pull this kind of shit.
>
> > This is a bike race and Contador is in it to win. That being
> > said, it's one thing to keep the pace when the Yellow Jersey
> > has a mechanical; it's another to attack. It's certainly not
> > the most honorable thing.
>
> > I've never heard of a racer getting booed on a race stage
> > podium. Anyone?
>
> Schleck did not exactly have a mechanical. He was
> attacking for all he was worth and missed a shift under
> the pressure of trying to win the race. He is fair game
> at that point.
>
> --
> Old Fritz- Hide quoted text -

That's what it looked like... AS began to push hard on the incline and
AC was trying to get back up level and chain-gate happened... no
question AS was making a separation with intent, clear to see on the
video... terrible luck...

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 21, 2010, 2:52:24 AM7/21/10
> life on the planet.- Hide quoted text -

True. There was about 3 seconds for AC to 'decide' to just glide and
soft peddle, no question... but he saw a wounded warrior and was
running for his life :))

AS did seem to be mentally getting to AC, all day, it seemed that
way... impossible to say of course... fear seemed to motivate AC in
his acceleration from AS in the throws of chain-gate...

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 21, 2010, 2:54:47 AM7/21/10
On Jul 20, 11:25 am, RicodJour <ricodj...@worldemail.com> wrote:
> R- Hide quoted text -

Neither AS or AC is pushing anything right now... tactics are vital
but jezz, time is now for one of them to be courageous... could have
happened today with a rest day coming up... neither guy did jack
really...

Betty

Jul 21, 2010, 5:19:45 AM7/21/10
Frederick the Great wrote:
> Schleck attacked.
> Contador counter-attacked.
> Schleck came unhooked.

I bet Contador considered stopping and then continued just so all of us
on rbr can have something to argue about.

Anton Berlin

Jul 21, 2010, 8:08:36 AM7/21/10

You nailed it.. fear overrode his ethics for a few seconds. That's
the lack of character question at hand

RicodJour

Jul 21, 2010, 8:52:50 AM7/21/10
> You nailed it..  fear overrode his ethics for a few seconds.  That's
> the lack of character question at hand

I think it was equal parts greed and fear.

Michael Press

Jul 21, 2010, 3:16:11 PM7/21/10
In article
<856d4af6-1a29-431f...@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not a counter attack when your opponent has stopped pedaling. Even
> the dipshit announcers realized it and they are the dumbest form of
> life on the planet.

In the moment, nobody knows when Schleck will start pedaling again.
That is racing. AC was counter attacking, and he is at
liberty to make his counter-attack effective. It is racing.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Jul 21, 2010, 3:22:14 PM7/21/10
In article
<237732f0-c92d-42cc...@u26g2000yqu.googlegroups.com>,
RicodJour <rico...@worldemail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2:40 pm, Ben Trovato <benn.trov...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What is it with today's blubbering youth and their brown-nosed fan
> > boys?
> > If ASchleck had been competent enough to put his chain back on in one
> > go, let alone not knock it off to begin with, we wouldn't be having
> > this discussion.  Suck it up and drive on.
>
> And Contador, accredited master bike mechanic and sheep herder, knew
> this at a glance? Schleck had a mechanical.

No, Schleck caved in under pressure and missed a shift.

> AC took advantage of it
> without stopping to determine if it was a minor or major hindrance.

This is not a group ride out in the countryside,
where we stop to offer help. Schleck has a mechanic
following in a car who can do more to help than
can AC.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Jul 21, 2010, 3:24:34 PM7/21/10
In article
<b1ff7e17-b6ba-426a...@d37g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
coterock <some...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No no no. WRONG !! I just watched the incident several times. A.
> Schleck attacked with Vino, AC, Sanchez etc behind. A. Schleck drops
> his chain, rather obviously. Vino counter attacks then AC, then maybe
> 10' behind, goes after Vino. I cannot see how AC did not see what
> happened.
>
> O.K. you could argue that that is sport, but AC went to youtube to
> offer his version. He said “Right when I attacked Andy had a
> mechanical on the last climb. The race was in full gear and, well,
> maybe I made a mistake, I'm sorry."
>
> Effing liar, just watch the video.
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-makes-youtube-apology-to-schleck

AC has no business apologizing.

--
Michael Press

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 21, 2010, 7:11:28 PM7/21/10

Yes... good point...

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jul 21, 2010, 7:33:18 PM7/21/10
On Jul 21, 9:24 pm, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-makes-youtube-apology-to-sch...

> AC has no business apologizing.

And that right there is why Contador is not the
patron and never will be at this rate. It isn't his looks.
It's his attitude. He isn't ready. Can you imagine
Bernard Hinault making a youtube apology video?
The idea is laughable. Hinault doesn't even apologize
to podium-transgressing fans as he hurls them
about like tenpins.

Benjo Maso, if he were here, would probably make
me look like a fool by recalling some proto-Youtube
incident where Hinault apologized in 1978 on
Super-8 film and mailed it about by a fan club mail
tree, but that self-doubt is why I am not the patron
of RBR.

Fredmaster Ben
RBR watercarrier

Betty

Jul 22, 2010, 5:23:43 AM7/22/10
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> but that self-doubt is why I am not the patron
> of RBR.

Anyway you need to be a really fat dumbass to be the patron of rbr.

A. Dumas

Jul 22, 2010, 7:58:29 AM7/22/10
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> Benjo Maso, if he were here, would probably make
> me look like a fool by recalling some proto-Youtube
> incident where Hinault apologized in 1978 on
> Super-8 film and mailed it about by a fan club mail
> tree, but that self-doubt is why I am not the patron
> of RBR.

Talking about Benjo, nice review of one of his books here:
http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/7/21/1580354/the-sweat-of-the-gods-myths-and

Anton Berlin

Jul 22, 2010, 8:30:55 AM7/22/10
> Talking about Benjo, nice review of one of his books here:http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/7/21/1580354/the-sweat-of-the-gods-myt...

Benjo is alright and any guy that references Dino Buzzati is alright
by me.