Tour of Batshit

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 28, 2010, 6:54:30 PM3/28/10
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?EventID=9655

$95 for an entry fee for a one day race with bullshit prize money?
Anybody who pays that is fucked up.

Thanks,

Magilla

Scott

Mar 28, 2010, 8:08:00 PM3/28/10

But it's the hardest one day race in the US.

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 28, 2010, 8:57:56 PM3/28/10
Scott wrote:

Maybe the hardest on equipment. I's the competition that makes a race
hard, not the course. Otherwise, do you think Cat. 4 women would be able
to complete it if it was so hard?

Oh, that's right, you're the sacasm guy.

Magilla

Chopin

Mar 28, 2010, 9:36:30 PM3/28/10

Scott's made the big time, now! Being "the" RBR Sarcasm Guy is quite the
accomplishment!

Congrats, Scott.

z, fred

Mar 28, 2010, 9:46:14 PM3/28/10

"There's no epic climbs in Australia, so it's not a real stage race.
It's basically Superweek."

Scott

Mar 28, 2010, 11:11:57 PM3/28/10

Awww, c'mon, can't you take a little ribbing, especially when it's
aimed at supporting your rant?

BTW, on their facebook page they're begging for volunteers. Hell, for
$95 a pop for late entry, or $75 for early entry, they can pay people
to be corner marshals.

Fred Flintstein

Mar 29, 2010, 9:21:06 AM3/29/10

Here's the course map:

http://tourofthebattenkill.com/wp-content/uploads/Course-Map.pdf

I've gotta wonder what they are paying for cops to secure the
course.

Fred Flintstein

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 29, 2010, 11:10:05 AM3/29/10
Scott wrote:

Why the fuck would anybody pay $95 to enter a mud race - especially one where
the prize money sucks uncut donkey dick?

I'll tell you what's going on here. You got a lot of delusional dumbass
cyclists thinking they are riding Paris Roubaix just because the course takes
them on some dirt roads because the race takes place in hillbilly part of New
York state. They all think they're Johann Museeuw crossing the line in a
dewcap and goatee pointing to their knee.

I catch any of you pipe dreamers in here entering that Batshit race, and there
will be a price to pay. And I can guaran-fuckin-tee you that price won't be
Walmart cheap.

Magilla

Uncle Dave

Mar 29, 2010, 11:51:46 AM3/29/10
On Mar 28, 11:54 pm, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org>
wrote:

> http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?EventID=9655
>
> $95 for an entry fee for a one day race with bullshit prize money?
> Anybody who pays that is fucked up.

What did Batten kill, and why would people want to tour it, that's
what I want to know....

UD

Fred Flintstein

Mar 29, 2010, 11:58:54 AM3/29/10
Magilla Gorilla wrote:
> Why the fuck would anybody pay $95 to enter a mud race - especially one where
> the prize money sucks uncut donkey dick?
>
> I'll tell you what's going on here. You got a lot of delusional dumbass
> cyclists thinking they are riding Paris Roubaix just because the course takes
> them on some dirt roads because the race takes place in hillbilly part of New
> York state. They all think they're Johann Museeuw crossing the line in a
> dewcap and goatee pointing to their knee.
>
> I catch any of you pipe dreamers in here entering that Batshit race, and there
> will be a price to pay. And I can guaran-fuckin-tee you that price won't be
> Walmart cheap.

http://www.bikereg.com/Results/2009/04/18-Tour-of-the-Battenkill.asp

And no, JT didn't ride.

Fred Flintstein

Amit Ghosh

Mar 29, 2010, 12:26:06 PM3/29/10

dumbass,

aerobic golf is still cheaper than regular golf and there you don't
even get prizes or the benefit of free services from volunteers.

every rider that does a race like battenkill is doing in purely for
their own benefit and prizes only serve a (weak) marketing purpose.

in my experience prizes and fees have virtually no effect on
participation. so the battenkill organizers should charge whatever the
market will bear.

everyone involved in cycling at that level needs to realize that
events are a service for the participants and all the "sponsorships",
prizes are window dressing and serve no real purpose except give some
riders the impression that what they are doing has some benefit for
others - it doesn't.

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 29, 2010, 12:54:07 PM3/29/10
Amit Ghosh wrote:

> On Mar 28, 6:54�pm, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:
> > http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?EventID=9655
> >
> > $95 for an entry fee for a one day race with bullshit prize money?
> > Anybody who pays that is fucked up.
>
> dumbass,
>
> aerobic golf is still cheaper than regular golf and there you don't
> even get prizes or the benefit of free services from volunteers.
>
> every rider that does a race like battenkill is doing in purely for
> their own benefit and prizes only serve a (weak) marketing purpose.
>
> in my experience prizes and fees have virtually no effect on
> participation. so the battenkill organizers should charge whatever the
> market will bear.

Well, it might not affect amateur hour events, but if you look at the pro
roster, the poor prize money sure as hell adversely affected it.

Magilla

Message has been deleted

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Mar 29, 2010, 2:29:35 PM3/29/10

Kill means creek, it's a Dutch word. The Dutch came
over here and named everything, and it's nagged at
you limeys with your Great Explorer complex ever since,
that they were here before you.

Fredmaster Ben

Fred Flintstein

Mar 29, 2010, 2:44:36 PM3/29/10
Amit Ghosh wrote:
> in my experience prizes and fees have virtually no effect on
> participation. so the battenkill organizers should charge whatever the
> market will bear.

There was a very successful MTB marathon race near here that the
promoter sold last year. The new owner more than doubled entry
fees and attendance dropped through the floor.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/us-24-hour-national-championships-at-big-bear-cancelled

The 24 Hours of Nine Mile is the race I'm referring to. I'll
bet Granny Gear lost a chunk of money on it.

The race is on this year with a different promoter as a much
lower key event. We'll see how it goes but I don't think the
original promoter was sorry to see the workload associated
with the race go away.

Fred Flintstein

Betty Munro

Mar 29, 2010, 3:12:29 PM3/29/10
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> Kill means creek, it's a Dutch word. The Dutch came
> over here and named everything, and it's nagged at
> you limeys with your Great Explorer complex ever since,
> that they were here before you.

Like the Van Wyck freeway. Saying that in Brooklynese is particularly
amusing.

Scott

Mar 29, 2010, 4:41:00 PM3/29/10

Very well said.

Uncle Dave

Mar 29, 2010, 5:31:46 PM3/29/10

And welcome to it...

UD

Amit Ghosh

Mar 29, 2010, 11:46:01 PM3/29/10
On Mar 29, 2:44 pm, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net>
wrote:

> Amit Ghosh wrote:
> > in my experience prizes and fees have virtually no effect on
> > participation. so the battenkill organizers should charge whatever the
> > market will bear.
>
> There was a very successful MTB marathon race near here that the
> promoter sold last year. The new owner more than doubled entry
> fees and attendance dropped through the floor.
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/us-24-hour-national-championships-at-...

> The 24 Hours of Nine Mile is the race I'm referring to. I'll
> bet Granny Gear lost a chunk of money on it.

dumbass,

if the fee went from$20 to $40 you might not see an effect, but if it
went from $150 to $300 you might.

i don't have enough information to be able to know for sure that the
fee increase killed the event. the organizer cites lots of other
reasons for the cancellation. if the fee was the issue it is pretty
easy to lower the fee - but the race may not have broken even at a
lower fee.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Mar 29, 2010, 11:57:51 PM3/29/10
Magilla Gorilla wrote:

> I'll tell you what's going on here. You got a lot of delusional
> dumbass cyclists thinking they are riding Paris Roubaix just because
> the course takes them on some dirt roads because the race takes place
> in hillbilly part of New York state. They all think they're Johann
> Museeuw crossing the line in a dewcap and goatee pointing to their
> knee.

> Magilla

That's funny, probably overdosed on too many reruns of a Sunday in Hell!
Suddenly it's become trendy to be covered in mud from head to toe. Some
chicks even have it in their mouth like some kind of statement. Mud has all
kinds of bacteria in it, and sometimes it have been known to cause deaths.
Who knows what toxins are in the mud either at any particular event
nationwide.

Amit Ghosh

Mar 30, 2010, 12:00:33 AM3/30/10
On Mar 29, 12:54 pm, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org>
wrote:
> Amit Ghosh wrote:

> Well, it might not affect amateur hour events, but if you look at the pro
> roster, the poor prize money sure as hell adversely affected it.

dumbass,

pros race (ostensibly) to generate exposure for their sponsors and the
sponsors of the event - and the event organizer repays them with prize
money.

i don't know what the level of media coverage is for this race but my
guess is that the fee (aka. prize money) is probably in line with the
exposure that the racers bring to the event.

Amit Ghosh

Mar 30, 2010, 12:05:39 AM3/30/10
On Mar 29, 11:57 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <F...@EuroFans.com> wrote:

> That's funny, probably overdosed on too many reruns of a Sunday in Hell!
> Suddenly it's become trendy to be covered in mud from head to toe. Some
> chicks even have it in their mouth like some kind of statement. Mud has all
> kinds of bacteria in it, and sometimes it have been known to cause deaths.
> Who knows what toxins are in the mud either at any particular event
> nationwide.

plus, I don't like to jerk off to tattooed, mudcaked or butch chicks.

-Bruce

Betty Munro

Mar 30, 2010, 6:37:48 AM3/30/10

Amit Ghosh wrote:
> plus, I don't like to jerk off to tattooed, mudcaked or butch chicks.
>
> -Bruce

Are you sure about the latter.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Mar 30, 2010, 1:13:41 PM3/30/10

Dumb fuck, I'm not a teenager and that's not my sig, just to note, its that
kool-aid camel jockey.

Michael Press

Mar 30, 2010, 1:20:53 PM3/30/10
In article <9r2dnSnJ0PjarC_W...@sti.net>,
"GoneBeforeMyTime" <Fa...@EuroFans.com> wrote:

Thank you for clearing that up.

--
Michael Press

Amit Ghosh

Mar 30, 2010, 1:41:28 PM3/30/10
On Mar 30, 1:20 pm, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article <9r2dnSnJ0PjarC_WnZ2dnUVZ_ridn...@sti.net>,

in bruce's case it should be "thanks for leering...".