signed Eddy Merckx poster card.

Carey

Apr 10, 2010, 7:13:31 AM4/10/10
-ca. 1980? (I don't remember precisely) 23.7cm by 17 cm, signed by E
Merckx
in my presence, pic on his trademark orange velo. Beautiful piece of
history;
modest offers considered.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Apr 10, 2010, 1:19:12 PM4/10/10
"Carey" <carey...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

So what, he's now like your fallen idol or something so you're selling off a
momento that you don't even recall getting?

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Carey

Apr 10, 2010, 1:39:24 PM4/10/10

Fallen idol? I think highly of Merckx
and always will.

Ever hear of Tommy Simpson?

I recall "getting" this memento very well, though
not the exact date- meeting Eddy briefly was great.

Why the sour tone?

Uncle Dave

Apr 10, 2010, 1:56:44 PM4/10/10
On Apr 10, 6:39 pm, Carey <carey_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > "Carey" <carey_1...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

This isn't so much "rec.bicycles.racing" as
"rec.bicycles.racing.yanks.squabbling.over.little.known.colonial.riders.nobody.gives.a
fuck.about. It's a valid question though, however poorly asked. Did
you get it, perchance, at that much-hyped race at Eastway?

UD

Carey

Apr 10, 2010, 2:06:05 PM4/10/10

I see, yes.

Tough room, ok. :)

Got this at a trade show in SoCal. Merckx seemed very
uncomfortable doing the sales schtick- I felt a bit sad for
him in retrospect. The Cannibal selling framesets..

Fred Flintstein

Apr 10, 2010, 3:55:05 PM4/10/10
Carey wrote:

> Tough room, ok. :)
>
> Got this at a trade show in SoCal. Merckx seemed very
> uncomfortable doing the sales schtick- I felt a bit sad for
> him in retrospect. The Cannibal selling framesets..

That's where he signed one for me, he was there every year.
I feel sad for him too. He must have signed his name
millions of times. My fingers hurt just thinking about it.

Fred Flintstein

Mike Jacoubowsky

Apr 10, 2010, 6:57:56 PM4/10/10

Sorry, should have been more polite. This really isn't the place to be
hawking merchandise, and there's something just kinda wrong about someone
who might be a "fan" of bike racing selling off such things. As if rbr would
ever be a place where rules, if they existed, would be followed anyway.

--D-y

Apr 10, 2010, 8:20:20 PM4/10/10

Probably close to a million of those Merckx's out there.
He is very obliging.

rec.bicycles.marketplace for selling.
--D-y

Uncle Dave

Apr 11, 2010, 5:54:49 AM4/11/10
On Apr 10, 11:57 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> > Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> >> "Carey" <carey_1...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> So what, he's now like your fallen idol or something so you're selling
> >> off a
> >> momento that you don't even recall getting?
>
> >> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> >> Chain Reaction Bicycles
> >>www.ChainReaction.com
> >> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
>
> > Fallen idol? I  think highly of Merckx
> > and always will.
>
> > Ever hear of Tommy Simpson?
>
> > I recall "getting" this memento very well, though
> > not the exact date- meeting Eddy briefly was great.
>
> > Why the sour tone?
>
> Sorry, should have been more polite. This really isn't the place to be
> hawking merchandise, and there's something just kinda wrong about someone
> who might be a "fan" of bike racing selling off such things. As if rbr would
> ever be a place where rules, if they existed, would be followed anyway.

:-)

Well, I'm at at time of my life where I've started selling off a lot
of stuff that meant something to me at the time but now just sits in
boxes in the garage. We live in a much smaller place now and will
probably "downsize" again some time. It's only stuff.

UD

A. Dumas Fred

Apr 11, 2010, 7:28:56 AM4/11/10
Op 11-04-10 11:54, Uncle Dave wrote:
> It's only stuff.

Carlin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Uncle Dave

Apr 11, 2010, 7:52:49 AM4/11/10

Ah yes, the late great George Carlin, that most rare of beasts a funny
American comedian ;-) See, that's the wonder of the internet - I used
to listen at work to internet radio where I discovered Carlin who I
don't think ever ventured much outside of the US in a professional
capacity. Very funny guy. Thanks for that.

UD

Steven Bornfeld

Apr 11, 2010, 7:24:10 PM4/11/10

Maybe the closest thing to Carlin's heir (and I bet you'll like the
sentiments here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mCDZMWVWuc

Steve

H. Fred Kveck

Apr 11, 2010, 9:42:13 PM4/11/10
In article <QKydnc7DwPSDx1_W...@earthlink.com>,
Steven Bornfeld <dentalt...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Bill Hicks. Can't forget Bill Hicks.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bill+hicks&aq=f

Uncle Dave

Apr 12, 2010, 3:57:07 AM4/12/10
On Apr 12, 12:24 am, Steven Bornfeld <dentaltwinm...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Nice one. Here's our "own" American comedian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi1E7QLWy-w&feature=related

UD

A. Dumas Fred

Apr 12, 2010, 7:13:25 AM4/12/10
Op 12-04-10 09:57, Uncle Dave wrote:
> Here's our "own" American comedian:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi1E7QLWy-w

And part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt2qt0sATz8
Crisis of consonants, excellent.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Apr 12, 2010, 12:13:29 PM4/12/10
"Fred Flintstein" <bob.sc...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote in message

My first time to France, with a group of Trek dealers, we were trying to
get up a road to a spot for the stage up Ventoux (2000?). Some guy was
trying to direct traffic (along with the nearly-useless Gendarmes, whom
everyone ignores)... OMG it's Eddy Merckx???!!! That was really strange.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com