[OT: Character Settings in posts]

1 view

Davey Crockett

Apr 10, 2011, 6:52:36 PM4/10/11
Some time ago, someone mentioned that there seemed to be problems with
the character set I was using when accented characters were present in the
text of the message.

I haven't had much time to look at the problem until very recently,and
the solution isn't as simple as it may seem because firstly I send
messages which use several different character sets and secondly
because my mailer is supposed to determine the appropriate set to attach
to the outgoing message.

Now ISO-8859-1 should have handled anything I post in here, but
apparently my mailer uses 8 bits which can be a no-no for ISO-8859-1

But I think I may have fixed it now.

Could someone kindly let me know if they can read the TEST txt below
which has quite a few accented characters ?

[TEST SECTION]
Compatible avec tous les formats de disques (CD, DVD) et tous les
formats audio et vidéo, le lecteur Blu-ray de la Freebox Révolution est
l'élément incontournable pour profiter pleinement de tout le potentiel
offert par votre TV Haute Définition (HDTV 1080p) et votre système
home-cinéma. Les disques Blu-ray offrent une qualité d'image quatre
fois supérieure à celle des DVD, avec une netteté, des couleurs et une
profondeur de champ exceptionnelles. Côté son, les pistes audio haute
définition garantissent une spatialisation plus précise et une richesse
sonore extraordinaire, pour des séances cinéma d'un réalisme
incomparable.
[/TEST SECTION]

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English

--D-y

Apr 10, 2011, 11:33:43 PM4/10/11

Good as far as I can see.
--D-y

RicodJour

Apr 11, 2011, 12:48:44 AM4/11/11

There's something definitely wrong. I could make out CD and DVD and
TV, but the rest might as well have been written in a foreign
language. :)~

Frederick the Great

Apr 11, 2011, 2:49:04 PM4/11/11
In article <87r599d...@azurservers.com>,
Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:

Looks perfect to me. If you want to experiment some more
here is what I use and find satisfactory:

I cut and pasted your TEST SECTION

[TEST SECTION]
Compatible avec tous les formats de disques (CD, DVD) et tous les
formats audio et vidéo, le lecteur Blu-ray de la Freebox Révolution est
l'élément incontournable pour profiter pleinement de tout le potentiel
offert par votre TV Haute Définition (HDTV 1080p) et votre système
home-cinéma. Les disques Blu-ray offrent une qualité d'image quatre
fois supérieure à celle des DVD, avec une netteté, des couleurs et une
profondeur de champ exceptionnelles. Côté son, les pistes audio haute
définition garantissent une spatialisation plus précise et une richesse
sonore extraordinaire, pour des séances cinéma d'un réalisme
incomparable.
[/TEST SECTION]

--
Old Fritz

Davey Crockett

Apr 11, 2011, 8:35:02 PM4/11/11
RicodJour a écrit profondement:

| There's something definitely wrong. I could make out CD and DVD and
| TV, but the rest might as well have been written in a foreign
| language. :)~

It was in fact a foreign language.

Hm. I do live in France you know.

--
Davey
-

Davey Crockett

Apr 11, 2011, 9:13:06 PM4/11/11
Frederick the Great a écrit profondement:

| Looks perfect to me. If you want to experiment some more
| here is what I use and find satisfactory:

I did do quite a bit of testing and it all seems to work well now.

The problem lies in the more recent versions of Emacs I think

By the way, I thought that UTF-8 was by definition an 8-bit
Content-Transfer-Encoding?

7-bit US-ASCII is actually the de facto standard for internet mail as not all
MTAs (Mail Transfer Agents) can handle 8-bit and in any instance no
encodibg/decoding takes place in UTF-8 -- It simply permits the use of
8-bit chrs.

I see you are actually using 8-bit too unless, as does happen all too
frequently, somone is rewriting them along the way.

Here's your headers as I received them:

[QUOTE].
Path:eternal-september.org!mx02.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!feeder.erje.net
!news.albasani.net!.POSTED!rubrum
From: Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.racing
Subject: Re: [OT: Character Settings in posts]
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 11:49:04 -0700

[/QUOTE].

--
Davey
-

Frederick the Great

Apr 12, 2011, 3:26:37 PM4/12/11
In article <8762qkz...@azurservers.com>,
Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:

> Frederick the Great a écrit profondement:
>

> | Looks perfect to me. If you want to experiment some more
> | here is what I use and find satisfactory:

> I did do quite a bit of testing and it all seems to work well now.
>
> The problem lies in the more recent versions of Emacs I think
>
> By the way, I thought that UTF-8 was by definition an 8-bit
> Content-Transfer-Encoding?

It is. However An ASCII octet stream is a valid UTF-8
octet stream, and both are decoded to the same
characters. If an octet has the high bit unset, then it
is an ASCII character. UTF-8 is a good way to transmit
Unicode. This will explain much in a very clear
fashion.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8#Design>

> 7-bit US-ASCII is actually the de facto standard for internet mail as not all
> MTAs (Mail Transfer Agents) can handle 8-bit and in any instance no
> encodibg/decoding takes place in UTF-8 -- It simply permits the use of
> 8-bit chrs.
>
> I see you are actually using 8-bit too unless, as does happen all too
> frequently, somone is rewriting them along the way.

Right, I was wrong. Sorry for the confusion. I do not
actually compose my headers, but select MIME and UTF-8.
The newsreader inserts Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
or CTE: 8bit as necessary. When my message is entirely
ASCII, it goes out with CTE: 7bit. When I put in
characters outside ASCII, it is CTE: 8bit.

--
Old Fritz