Is Lemond the only successful cyclist that wasn't a doper?

Anton Berlin

Jun 16, 2010, 3:59:24 PM6/16/10
I tried to give my girlfriend a little history of the problem and
couldn't find think of a rider that wasn't caught or later confessed -
I could only think of Lemond.

Then I added in a little bit about the way dopers can often be
identified by the company they keep, Armstrong with Ferrari, (everyone
with Armstrong) (someone should draw one of those small world diagrams
showing Armstrong as the hub)) Frank Schleck with the clinic payment
and

Oh.... ooops Lemond spent a lot of time with Eddie B.

Maybe boosting isn't doping in Greg's mind.

ric

Jun 16, 2010, 4:15:01 PM6/16/10

Maybe doping isn't doping except when it is in Greg's mind.

It's been claimed that Greg was the first to introduce EPO to the
Peloton after he was treated with it after his gunshot wound.

One does not win the tour on spring water, no?

Steven Bornfeld

Jun 16, 2010, 4:37:01 PM6/16/10

I know this is rbr, but does anyone really believe this?

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

S Perryman

Jun 16, 2010, 4:38:32 PM6/16/10
Anton Berlin wrote:

> I tried to give my girlfriend a little history of the problem and
> couldn't find think of a rider that wasn't caught or later confessed -
> I could only think of Lemond.

Hinault ?? Fignon ?? Roche ?? Hampsten ?? Indurain ??

> Then I added in a little bit about the way dopers can often be
> identified by the company they keep, Armstrong with Ferrari, (everyone
> with Armstrong) (someone should draw one of those small world diagrams
> showing Armstrong as the hub)) Frank Schleck with the clinic payment
> and

> Oh.... ooops Lemond spent a lot of time with Eddie B.

And Roche is implicated with Dr Ferrari (the second stint at Carrera) .

Regards,
Steven Perryman

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Jun 16, 2010, 5:04:05 PM6/16/10

Roche-dirty, Indurain-dirty, Fignon-dirty

z, fred

Jun 16, 2010, 5:06:13 PM6/16/10

Dumbass,

How would EPO be used to treat a gunshot wound?

z, fred

Jun 16, 2010, 5:08:16 PM6/16/10
S Perryman wrote:
> Anton Berlin wrote:
>
>> I tried to give my girlfriend a little history of the problem and
>> couldn't find think of a rider that wasn't caught or later confessed -
>> I could only think of Lemond.
>
> Hinault ?? Fignon ?? Roche ?? Hampsten ?? Indurain ??

Hampsten of those. No one really thinks Indurain was clean. Fignon
admitted to doping when he said that he did not think that it attributed
to his cancer. Hinault? All I can say is that he's old school.

z, fred

Jun 16, 2010, 5:18:29 PM6/16/10

Dumbass,

Lemond left the US to race in Europe in 1980 after Carter boycotted the
Olympics. He was with Guimard and Renault in 1981.

Eddie didn't start with the Federation until 1978. Prior to that he was
painting bridges in Joisey.

Obviously they have remained friends since that time, but Eddie's direct
influence would have been minimal. Plus, at that time, Eddie had no
contacts with the pro peloton or western Europe.

Who has a higher BMI, Lemond or your girlfriend?

A. Dumas

Jun 16, 2010, 5:23:42 PM6/16/10
z, fred wrote:
> How would EPO be used to treat a gunshot wound?

Gentle rubbing.

Anton Berlin

Jun 16, 2010, 5:41:50 PM6/16/10

Roche - we know, Indurain - we damn well know, Hampsten, (my
qualification was a grand tour and the worlds) Fignon - admitted
doper (Hinault - unsure but close enough with lemond to boost )

Anton Berlin

Jun 16, 2010, 5:46:19 PM6/16/10

Lemond and Eddie are closer than Hegg and Eddie (at least back then)
and I assume now since he helped EB rebuild his house after that meth
fire.

(JK on the last part)

Victor Kan

Jun 16, 2010, 6:40:09 PM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 5:06 pm, "z, fred" <N...@not.ca> wrote:

> How would EPO be used to treat a gunshot wound?

Google is your friend. Try "epo treat gunshot" and you might find
patent info like:

"The use of EPO has also been disclosed in the past as a method to
reduce excessive bleeding in patients in need thereof, such as an
individual with a gunshot wound. U.S. Pat. No. 6,274,158 describes the
administration of EPO in order to thicken the blood. Blood thickens as
a result of EPO's effect of increasing production of red blood cells.
At the high dosage levels necessary to produce the blood-thickening
effect, EPO's helpful renoprotective functions are not produced."

Andy Coggan

Jun 16, 2010, 9:12:17 PM6/16/10

At the time of the 1984 Olympics, blood doping wasn't doping.

Andy Coggan

--D-y

Jun 16, 2010, 10:23:17 PM6/16/10

But it still could be a scandal.
--D-y

Frederick the Great

Jun 17, 2010, 1:14:58 AM6/17/10
In article <hvbcld$fe4$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Steven Bornfeld <bornfe...@dentaltwins.com> wrote:

> ric wrote:
> > On Jun 16, 3:59 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> I tried to give my girlfriend a little history of the problem and
> >> couldn't find think of a rider that wasn't caught or later confessed -
> >> I could only think of Lemond.
> >>
> >> Then I added in a little bit about the way dopers can often be
> >> identified by the company they keep, Armstrong with Ferrari, (everyone
> >> with Armstrong) (someone should draw one of those small world diagrams
> >> showing Armstrong as the hub)) Frank Schleck with the clinic payment
> >> and
> >>
> >> Oh.... ooops Lemond spent a lot of time with Eddie B.
> >>
> >> Maybe boosting isn't doping in Greg's mind.
> >
> > Maybe doping isn't doping except when it is in Greg's mind.
> >
> > It's been claimed that Greg was the first to introduce EPO to the
> > Peloton after he was treated with it after his gunshot wound.
>
> I know this is rbr, but does anyone really believe this?
>

> > One does not win the tour on spring water, no?

I do!

--
Old Fritz

K. Fred Gauss

Jun 17, 2010, 1:23:57 AM6/17/10
Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> ric wrote:
>> On Jun 16, 3:59 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I tried to give my girlfriend a little history of the problem and
>>> couldn't find think of a rider that wasn't caught or later confessed -
>>> I could only think of Lemond.
>>>
>>> Then I added in a little bit about the way dopers can often be
>>> identified by the company they keep, Armstrong with Ferrari, (everyone
>>> with Armstrong) (someone should draw one of those small world diagrams
>>> showing Armstrong as the hub)) Frank Schleck with the clinic payment
>>> and
>>>
>>> Oh.... ooops Lemond spent a lot of time with Eddie B.
>>>
>>> Maybe boosting isn't doping in Greg's mind.
>>
>> Maybe doping isn't doping except when it is in Greg's mind.
>>
>> It's been claimed that Greg was the first to introduce EPO to the
>> Peloton after he was treated with it after his gunshot wound.
>
> I know this is rbr, but does anyone really believe this?

The gunshot wound part, no.

On the other hand, I have no more reason to believe Lemond was clean
than Indurain.

K. Fred Gauss

Jun 17, 2010, 1:25:10 AM6/17/10

Keep going...

S Perryman

Jun 17, 2010, 4:45:52 AM6/17/10
Anton Berlin wrote:

> On Jun 16, 3:38 pm, S Perryman <a...@a.net> wrote:

>>Anton Berlin wrote:

>>>I tried to give my girlfriend a little history of the problem and
>>>couldn't find think of a rider that wasn't caught or later confessed -
>>>I could only think of Lemond.

>>Hinault ?? Fignon ?? Roche ?? Hampsten ?? Indurain ??

> Roche - we know

AFAIK, during his second stint at Carrera (1993) the whole team was
implicated. And I meant Mr Conconi, not Mr Ferrari (oops) .

During the time of his 1987 triumphs, debatable.

> Indurain - we damn well know

Know what ??
It helps to state what you "know" : clean or doper.

I recall there was an alleged steroid detected in a blood test in the
early 1990s, with implications via Pedro Delgado and the 1988 TdF incident
(Delgado and Indurain being long-serving riders in the same Reynolds/
Banesto team setups) .

> Hampsten

As clean as driven snow ??

> Fignon - admitted doper

Yes.

> Hinault - unsure but close enough with lemond to boost

Hinault is by far the first worst of the lot - genetically splicing
himself with animal DNA (look at his face : the Brundle-blaireau) ...

Regards,
Steven Perryman

--D-y

Jun 17, 2010, 9:17:06 AM6/17/10

Masking agent, Delgado.
--D-y

S Perryman

Jun 17, 2010, 10:29:13 AM6/17/10
--D-y wrote:

> Masking agent, Delgado.

Wasn't the claim that the detected "material" got into his body by
taking normal prescription (for mortals) medicine ??

But yes, as I stated this is an implication linkage to Indurain.

Regards,
Steven Perryman

Anton Berlin

Jun 17, 2010, 10:30:37 AM6/17/10

Run a distribution on the height and weight of every successful
cyclist and then consider the chance that a guy that size could win in
the mountains of the TdF against smaller men also juiced on EPO.

And yes Hinault isn't guilty of just knowing Greg.

And Coggan, there is a spirit to the rules as well as the letter. I
recall but can't be sure there was a general caveat since Montreal
that medical procedures to assist performance were a violation. But
like most things only if someone elses catches you in the act.

Like BP this is the first time they've spilled large amounts of oil in
the ocean, just the first time we noticed. (ok this time it's
massive)

Fred Flintstein

Jun 17, 2010, 10:47:31 AM6/17/10
On 6/17/2010 9:29 AM, S Perryman wrote:
> --D-y wrote:
>
>> Masking agent, Delgado.
>
> Wasn't the claim that the detected "material" got into his body by
> taking normal prescription (for mortals) medicine ??

That was only because he didn't think to blame it on his dog.

Fred Flintstein

Frederick the Great

Jun 17, 2010, 2:31:55 PM6/17/10
In article
<12c01b5c-10fe-46c9...@t26g2000prt.googlegroups.com>,
Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> And Coggan, there is a spirit to the rules as well as the letter. I
> recall but can't be sure there was a general caveat since Montreal
> that medical procedures to assist performance were a violation. But
> like most things only if someone elses catches you in the act.

Everything a professional rider does is to boost his performance,
including visits to his physician. Perhaps we should keep riders
in pens the way we do rodeo bulls, and only let them out to ride.

--
Old Fritz

Message has been deleted

Andy Coggan

Jun 17, 2010, 5:41:46 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 9:30 am, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> And Coggan, there is a spirit to the rules as well as the letter.  I
> recall but can't be sure there was a general caveat since Montreal
> that medical procedures to assist performance were a violation.

Blood doping was not specifically outlawed by any sports governing
body until after the 1984 Olympics.

In any case, I was just keeping everyone straight on the history, not
taking a position one way or the other on anything (although I do
believe that morality is a slippery concept, such rules need to be
written in black-and-white as much as possible).

Andy Coggan

Anton Berlin

Jun 20, 2010, 4:53:33 PM6/20/10
Just caught some replay footage of Indurain beating Lemond in the
Pyrenees.

If Greg was clean (or just boosting) Indurain would have to be on EPO
to pull that off.

B. Lafferty

Jun 20, 2010, 4:55:46 PM6/20/10
;-)

S Perryman

Jun 21, 2010, 2:04:13 AM6/21/10
Anton Berlin wrote:

The Luz-Ardiden stage in 1990.

1. How much EPO did Indurain use to only be able to attack Lemond 400m
from the line ?? :-)

2. Surely the rider who finished 3rd that day is more worthy of "Lemond" /
your analysis than Indurain.

Regards,
Steven Perryman

Anton Berlin

Jun 21, 2010, 7:57:11 AM6/21/10

Dumbass,

Wouldn't you have to ride with Lemond all the way up to attack with
400 meters to go?

Did the 3rd place finisher go on to win the next 5 tours in a row?

Your analysis is flawless other than those two gaping holes.

S Perryman

Jun 21, 2010, 8:58:03 AM6/21/10
Anton Berlin wrote:

> On Jun 21, 1:04 am, S Perryman <a...@a.net> wrote:

>>1. How much EPO did Indurain use to only be able to attack Lemond 400m
>> from the line ?? :-)

>>2. Surely the rider who finished 3rd that day is more worthy of "Lemond" /
>> your analysis than Indurain.

> Wouldn't you have to ride with Lemond all the way up to attack with
> 400 meters to go?

> Did the 3rd place finisher go on to win the next 5 tours in a row?

1. The 3rd place finisher rode 3 grand tours a year four times.

2. Was at one time an ONCE rider, and did two of #1 as an ONCE
rider.

3. And finished on said stage 15 seconds behind Indurain.

> Your analysis is flawless other than those two gaping holes.

My "analysis" (real or in humour) , only suggests that yours is
pure toytown in comparison.

Or perhaps you are insinuating that the reason your analysis is so,
is because my "analysis" has been achieved by 'irregular' means
(in which case, someone get me Armstrongs' lawyers) ...

Regards,
Steven Perryman