Sad situation

Scott

Mar 15, 2010, 12:25:08 PM3/15/10
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kacper-szczepaniak-attempts-suicide

Hard to imagine that a 19 yo, in his first pro contract, would likely
be able to earn 10x his father's salary. Not that a 19yo Polish rider
would make that much.

Kyle Legate

Mar 15, 2010, 4:46:05 PM3/15/10

Rather, not that a 19 yo Polish rider's father would make that much.
It's truely a shitty situation. My wife is Romanian, and her father went
to pension recently. He got the pension confirmation letter when we were
there over Xmas, and he'll be getting 250 euros a month. This after a
lifetime of workforce service, in a country that recently joined the EU,
meaning that prices for everything are quickly becoming normalized to
the rest of the EU. Fortunately her family owns their house in the city
and has ample land in the countryside to grow their own
vegetables/geese/chickens/pigs, or they'd be truely hosed in a few years
when prices finish catching up.

The Szczepaniak's are fortunate that they can find lucrative work to
make up for the ghost-of-communism's shortcomings. What Kacper has to
try to remember is that his inevitable sanction will be over when he's 21.

Scott

Mar 15, 2010, 6:04:58 PM3/15/10

It's just pitiful any way you look at it. I feel badly for the kid,
yet I imagine there are many who'd gladly proclaim they should've let
him kill himself, being a doper, you know.

Ryan Cousineau

Mar 16, 2010, 4:07:01 AM3/16/10
In article
<4bdf43ff-dc2a-4dff...@l11g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
Scott <hendric...@hotmail.com> wrote:

If only he'd gone into accounting. PEDs are legal there!

Well, many of them. Is coke a PED for accountants?

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 16, 2010, 9:44:32 AM3/16/10
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:07:01 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>If only he'd gone into accounting. PEDs are legal there!
>
>Well, many of them. Is coke a PED for accountants?

Coffee is. Coming in and finding the coffee pot still on and the
remaining coffee burnt to the container is a sure sign the audit has
started and you have auditors in the building.

Tax accounting seems to be bagels on Saturday morning, but it never
did anything for me, so I reluctantly gave up tax accounting. Worked
for three firms and they always announced sometime in mid January that
we would begin working on Saturdays, but there would be free bagels...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Ryan Cousineau

Mar 17, 2010, 2:58:12 AM3/17/10
In article <cj2vp5527t80olo4h...@4ax.com>,
cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:

Wow! That's the worst tradeoff ever.

Were they good bagels?

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 17, 2010, 11:41:26 AM3/17/10
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 06:58:12 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <cj2vp5527t80olo4h...@4ax.com>,
> cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:07:01 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >If only he'd gone into accounting. PEDs are legal there!
>> >
>> >Well, many of them. Is coke a PED for accountants?
>>
>> Coffee is. Coming in and finding the coffee pot still on and the
>> remaining coffee burnt to the container is a sure sign the audit has
>> started and you have auditors in the building.
>>
>> Tax accounting seems to be bagels on Saturday morning, but it never
>> did anything for me, so I reluctantly gave up tax accounting. Worked
>> for three firms and they always announced sometime in mid January that
>> we would begin working on Saturdays, but there would be free bagels...
>
>Wow! That's the worst tradeoff ever.
>
>Were they good bagels?

Yeah, smallish and not so chewy. All were Jewish tax firms and they
always seem to have at least one partner that finds a place with
'bagels like real New York bagels'. The common place bagels around
here seem too big and way too chewy, so by the time you finish the
first one, your jaws ache. Maybe good training for something, but I
can't figure out what. Maybe the guy that pulls planes by his teeth or
something.

Still, the only taxes I do now are my own. I actually have a pretty
decent tax program on my PC that charges by the return - I only do
mine and use it for estimates for other clients, so it does everything
and costs me about $ 20 more than the retail programs.

Mark J.

Mar 17, 2010, 11:45:31 AM3/17/10
cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:
> The common place bagels around
> here seem too big and way too chewy, so by the time you finish the
> first one, your jaws ache. Maybe good training for something, but I
> can't figure out what. Maybe the guy that pulls planes by his teeth or
> something.

Good training for riding the Giro with a broken collarbone, maybe.

Mark J.

MagillaGorilla

Mar 21, 2010, 5:15:59 AM3/21/10
Scott wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2:46 pm, Kyle Legate <legatekB...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Scott wrote:
> > >http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kacper-szczepaniak-attempts-suicide
> >
> > > Hard to imagine that a 19 yo, in his first pro contract, would likely
> > > be able to earn 10x his father's salary.  Not that a 19yo Polish rider
> > > would make that much.
> >
> > Rather, not that a 19 yo Polish rider's father would make that much.
> > It's truely a shitty situation. My wife is Romanian,

<snip>

What's the link?

Magilla

Message has been deleted