Andy's chain incident- am I seeing it right?

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 29, 2010, 10:47:32 PM7/29/10
When Andy dumped his chain, why didn't he shift it back onto the chainring?
Near as I can tell, nothing got jammed, his chain just came off when he
shifted. He was carrying enough speed that it took some time before he came
to a stop, plenty of time to shift the chain back on (if it had come off the
outside, you simply pedal while shifting the front to the inside chainring
position, or vice versa if it came off on the inside). There's no rocket
science here is there? Am I missing something? Do some of these guys have no
basic knowledge of how their bikes work?

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Anton Berlin

Jul 30, 2010, 12:08:10 AM7/30/10
On Jul 29, 9:47 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

Mike - you were traveling

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/browse_thread/thread/5accb86c0d45ab49#

DirtRoadie

Jul 30, 2010, 12:23:20 AM7/30/10
On Jul 29, 8:47 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>

DirtRoadie

Jul 30, 2010, 12:40:22 AM7/30/10
wrote:
> When Andy dumped his chain, why didn't he shift it back onto the chainring?
> Near as I can tell, nothing got jammed, his chain just came off when he
> shifted. He was carrying enough speed that it took some time before he came
> to a stop, plenty of time to shift the chain back on (if it had come off the
> outside, you simply pedal while shifting the front to the inside chainring
> position, or vice versa if it came off on the inside). There's no rocket
> science here is there? Am I missing something? Do some of these guys have no
> basic knowledge of how their bikes work?

He was dehydrated and not thinking straight.

Seriously though, I have looked at the video and cannot determine just
what happened and AS said afterwards that he didn't know either. There
was seemingly no reason whatsoever for the chain to come off.
And many of the "expert" analyses describe sequences of events that
don't seem to jibe with what the video shows.

That said, if he did just simply lose the chain off the chainrings he
may have simply waited a bit too long to shift it back. But given the
circumstances he may have thought something more serious had taken
place.
I know I have dropped many chains before, but I don't think I have
ever had it happen JRA.

DR

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 30, 2010, 1:08:23 AM7/30/10

======

Mike - you were traveling

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/browse_thread/thread/5accb86c0d45ab49#
======

Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if Zinn has it exactly right or has
over-analyzed it though. If he's right; if the rear wheel jumped up
because the derailleur ran into the cogs, then it could be that you
couldn't shift it back on. I'll have to play around with some of my SRAM
bikes on the floor to see how it all works out. The only SRAM-equipped
bike in my personal stable is a Bike Friday, which was the bike I used
in France.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Victor Kan

Jul 30, 2010, 6:32:05 AM7/30/10
On Jul 29, 10:47 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

> When Andy dumped his chain, why didn't he shift it back onto the chainring?

He did try that, but it didn't work. From the front motorcycle video
of the incident, after he lifts the rear wheel and jerks forward a
bit, he can be clearly seen looking down and making a long throw on
his left Double Tap lever. I've never used SRAM brifters so I don't
know how they feel, but maybe the nature of their single motion, two
distances method to distinguish up vs down shifts isn't as conducive
to fixing a thrown chain in the heat of the race as some other
methods.

A. Dumas

Jul 30, 2010, 7:07:47 AM7/30/10
Victor Kan wrote:

> On Jul 29, 10:47 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
>> When Andy dumped his chain, why didn't he shift it back onto the chainring?
>
> He did try that, but it didn't work.

Yes, that was what he said. Video:
http://web.me.com/edr/cycling/chaingate.html

--D-y

Jul 30, 2010, 8:28:05 AM7/30/10

Twice, if I saw things correctly, he got the chain back up on a
chainring, but then didn't execute that *second* rotation of the
crank. Like he was in a hurry or something.
One rev to start the chain on, another to make it stay on is what
works IME, at least if the on-the-fly shift doesn't work and you have
to get off and manual-ize.

Did we see the team car come up and give him a wet wipe for his greasy
fingers?

Wow, what a slam for SRAM. Have they mounted a damage control PR blitz
yet, or is it going to be another re-design?
--D-y

Fred Flintstein

Jul 30, 2010, 9:26:06 AM7/30/10
On 7/30/2010 12:08 AM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> The only SRAM-equipped
> bike in my personal stable is a Bike Friday, which was the bike I used
> in France.

Dude,

Live dangerously!

Fred Flintstein

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 30, 2010, 11:19:12 AM7/30/10
"Fred Flintstein" <bob.sc...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote in message

It was fun passing people on "real" bikes on the climbs. And they
descend surprisingly well. Still, it was nice to come home and ride my
"real" bike on climbs again. But traveling with a "real" bike is just
not a whole lot of fun. Much easier when your bike fits into an
airline-legal suitcase.

Anton Berlin

Jul 30, 2010, 12:24:39 PM7/30/10

You guys are fucking stupid. He was using those oversized jockey
wheels.

It's not a SRAM problem it's probably some dumbass putting a larger
chain on and those oversized wheels from some stupid german engineer
that wastes his life on weight weenies.

Anton Berlin

Jul 30, 2010, 12:25:46 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 10:19 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "Fred Flintstein" <bob.schwa...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote in message

American Airlines bikes fly free Mike.

In a full size box and up to 50lbs.

I did it twice this year already

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 30, 2010, 4:53:29 PM7/30/10

=======

American Airlines bikes fly free Mike.

In a full size box and up to 50lbs.

I did it twice this year already

=======

I'm well aware of that. But you're still lugging a very large box or bag
through airports, onto trains, crammed into small euro-sized taxis,
whatever. It is *so* much easier wheeling a standard-sized suitcase around.

But yes, it bugs me that UA is charging for bikes and AA does not. OneWorld
seems a bit more progressive with bike policies than either StarAlliance
(variable; Air Canada is only $50) or SkyTeam (uniformly awful).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Anton Berlin

Jul 30, 2010, 5:30:47 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 3:53 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I usually go to my departing location (the hotel or friend) I am
staying with and set the bike up there and leave the boxes with them.
It works out because I know I will be back there the day before my
departure home.

Even if it's two boxes one will usually fit inside the other and they
don't take up that much space.

The real problem IMHO is traveling with ISPs and carbon so I usually
take a titanium bike for myself.

RicodJour

Aug 3, 2010, 12:49:56 AM8/3/10
On Jul 30, 1:08 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

> The only SRAM-equipped
> bike in my personal stable is a Bike Friday, which was the bike I used
> in France.

Mike, which model of Bike Friday did you ride following the Tour?

A. Dumas

Aug 5, 2010, 8:53:31 AM8/5/10
Anton Berlin wrote:
> I usually go to my departing location (the hotel or friend) I am
> staying with and set the bike up there and leave the boxes with them.
> It works out because I know I will be back there the day before my
> departure home.

Once in my student days, a friend and I went to Majorca and we left the
cardboard boxes behind a shed at the edge of the airport terrain. Rode
10 km to the hotel with (huge) backpacks. Worked fine, though I wouldn't
do it again now that I am old.