Out of Place but a Question

Tom Kunich

Mar 24, 2010, 2:53:10 PM3/24/10
I'm retired and started drawing Social Security and a little unemployment
insurance as well. The trouble is that neither SS or California has sent me
anything like a W2 that will allow me to calculate how much money they sent
me and if I qualify for paying taxes in 2009 or not.

Does anyone know how the heck I find out about this?

Anton Berlin

Mar 24, 2010, 4:07:00 PM3/24/10

Get a good tax accountant. A creative one will save you 10x what he
costs.

The govt thought I owed them 1.2 Million last year, turns out they
owed me $100k

Great accountant.

Steve Freides

Mar 24, 2010, 10:29:04 PM3/24/10

You should get a 1099 - one 80-year-old I know that I help with taxes
got this for her Social Security.

-S-

Tom Kunich

Mar 24, 2010, 11:00:05 PM3/24/10
"Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote in message

Thanks Steve.

Betty Munro

Mar 25, 2010, 4:06:56 AM3/25/10
Anton Berlin wrote:
> The govt thought I owed them 1.2 Million last year, turns out they
> owed me $100k

So SOTS provided a grant for ForkSTRONG.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 25, 2010, 7:26:46 AM3/25/10

You can request a replacement 1099G from California on-line, but can't
get the info. I think you can set up the Social Securityaccount access
info on-line and get the info on-line as well.

Amusingly, some state info that can't be accessed on-line by the
person can be sucked up by certain tax programs, like Turbo Tax. It
probably would vary case to case which ones this happens with, but
after spending time on the phone with a state while installing Turbo
Tax for a pro bono, as the person at this particular state informed me
we would have to apply for the information to be re-sent in the next
week or two, it was downloaded in front of us to the tax form. Just
hung up and let it go, since the form didn't have to be included with
the filing and we had what we needed.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 25, 2010, 7:29:18 AM3/25/10
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:07:00 -0700 (PDT), Anton Berlin
<truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Get a good tax accountant. A creative one will save you 10x what he
>costs.
>
>The govt thought I owed them 1.2 Million last year, turns out they
>owed me $100k
>
>Great accountant.

Unless you head down to the pro bono program run by your local state
CPA society, a good tax accountant will cost more than you'd gain in
this case, especially this time of year. 'Creative ones' are easy to
find - they've been making headlines a lot over the last ten years or
so. Some should be out by now...

Betty Munro

Mar 26, 2010, 2:28:30 PM3/26/10
cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:
> Unless you head down to the pro bono program run by your local state
> CPA society, a good tax accountant will cost more than you'd gain in
> this case, especially this time of year. 'Creative ones' are easy to
> find - they've been making headlines a lot over the last ten years or
> so. Some should be out by now...

The AIG ones are getting some good bonuses this year.

Fred K. Gringioni

Mar 29, 2010, 6:36:15 AM3/29/10

"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I'm retired and started drawing Social Security and a little unemployment
> insurance as well. The trouble is that neither SS or California has sent
> me
> anything like a W2 that will allow me to calculate how much money they
> sent
> me and if I qualify for paying taxes in 2009 or not.

Dumbass -

Seems like you're benefitting from the social safety net.

Ironic.

thanks,

Fred. presented by Gringioni.

Scott

Mar 29, 2010, 9:35:20 AM3/29/10
On Mar 29, 4:36 am, "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Yeah, he is, but he's not benefiting to the financial level he'd be at
if he had all his payments into SS over the years to invest himself.
Even TK could do better in the market than the return he's getting
from the 'social safety net'.