Sayeth the Sage of Bandon: Lightness and carbon forks

Andre Jute

Jun 19, 2010, 7:05:15 AM6/19/10
Sayeth the Sage of Bandon:

The search for lightness is the vanity of cyclists.

The search for lightness in carbon forks is the vanity of cyclists
with more money than sense.

Anton Berlin

Jun 20, 2010, 2:20:55 PM6/20/10

Dude- Do not post this kind of thread without referencing the org
forkSTRONG, that is working to prevent exploding fork injuries.

Andre Jute

Jun 20, 2010, 4:31:12 PM6/20/10

Sages are above such mundane everyday concerns as silicone breast
implants. You may be thinking of sago, a self-inflating rice dish.

Anyhow, how expeditiously do you think tumbling the walls of Jericho
would have gone if some cyclist came running out and said to Joshua
"Hey dude, do not trash these walls without referencing Bob the
Builder who Made Them Skew, or Yamaha the Trumpet Maker who Brought
Them Down!"

Ridiculous idea, sage-ing stopping for a commercial or Cyclical Comic
Relief. Still, I liked your lead joke (that "refer to" needs to be
turned into the verb "referencing") but I'm afraid that may be an
esoteric taste appreciated only by a minority. Tough tittie, refer to
sago above.

Andre Jute
“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat,
plausible and wrong.” -- H. L. Mencken

K. Fred Gauss

Jun 20, 2010, 5:26:08 PM6/20/10
Andre Jute wrote:

> Anyhow, how expeditiously do you think tumbling the walls of Jericho
> would have gone if some cyclist came running out and said to Joshua
> "Hey dude, do not trash these walls without referencing Bob the
> Builder who Made Them Skew, or Yamaha the Trumpet Maker who Brought
> Them Down!"

Deluded Tool,
The walls of Jericho were not destroyed by trumpets. They were blown to
smithereens by strategically placed carbon bicycle forks. Do not be
fooled by the lies and manipulations of the carbon fork industry!

Betty

Jun 20, 2010, 5:58:43 PM6/20/10

K. Fred Gauss wrote:
> Deluded Tool,
> The walls of Jericho were not destroyed by trumpets. They were blown to
> smithereens by strategically placed carbon bicycle forks. Do not be
> fooled by the lies and manipulations of the carbon fork industry!

Can't we use strategically placed carbon bicycle forks to blow kill BP's
oil well ?

Andre Jute

Jun 20, 2010, 6:14:44 PM6/20/10
On Jun 20, 10:26 pm, "K. Fred Gauss" <N...@This.Planet> wrote:
> Andre Jute wrote:
> > Anyhow, how expeditiously do you think tumbling the walls of Jericho
> > would have gone if some cyclist came running out and said to Joshua
> > "Hey dude, do not trash these walls without referencing Bob the
> > Builder who Made Them Skew, or Yamaha the Trumpet Maker who Brought
> > Them Down!"
>
> Deluded Tool,

Thank you for the flattery.

> The walls of Jericho were not destroyed by trumpets. They were blown to
> smithereens by strategically placed carbon bicycle forks.

I knowed that, said Young Albert (this was not too long before the
lion ate him).

> Do not be
> fooled by the lies and manipulations of the carbon fork industry!

Surely you mean the universal, permanent truth that nothing is lighter
and faster than really flimsy carbon fibre reinforced plastic?

May the Magnetism be with you!

(sgnd) The Sage of Bandon

Colin Nelson

Jun 21, 2010, 4:25:00 AM6/21/10

Andre Jute wrote:
<snipped non sago stuff>

>You may be thinking of sago, a self-inflating rice dish.

Hm! To think that I've spent the last 60+ years thinking that sago is
a product of the pith of the sago palm ...

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

Andre Jute

Jun 21, 2010, 9:55:20 AM6/21/10
On Jun 21, 9:25 am, "Colin Nelson" <colin.nels...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Andre Jute wrote:
>
> <snipped non sago stuff>
>
> >You may be thinking of sago, a self-inflating rice dish.
>
> Hm! To think that I've spent the last 60+ years thinking that sago is
> a product of the pith of the sago palm ...

You must have been a very well-informed baby, unless you lived in sago-
infested parts (boarding school?) at the time and only returned to
Lincolnshire later.

> Colin N.
>
> Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

Andre Jute
In Ireland we're so well-spoken because the rain never stops falling
on the plain

Garry Lee

Jun 23, 2010, 1:54:23 AM6/23/10
My father used to always say as we left Bandon in the car, having
driven through, Abandon Bandon! Dunno why. Maybe he thought it
infested with Jutes and Saxons!

Andre Jute

Jun 23, 2010, 10:26:23 AM6/23/10

Dunno when that was but your father might have been better informed
than you gave him credit for. I'd been living in Bandon 30 years when
last year at the opening of some bike racks (1) a man that I'd
actually known to say hello to a long, long time explained to me that
before my arrival there were two Jute families in town, cousins, and
the last of them died only in 1972. But the Jutes are much rarer than
that coincidence might warrant one concluding.

Andre Jute
He who writes the history wins all the wars.

(1) We have so few bike amenities, we get TV coverage for our new --
and only -- bike racks, an opportunity I took to appeal for the 1m
clearance rule to be rigorously enforced. We should all start writing
down bike history aggressively to intimidate the powers that be into
doing the right thing. (Obligatory bike content x3 -- now I can safely
go off-topic for umpteen posts!)

Bill Sornson

Jun 25, 2010, 10:16:52 PM6/25/10

Yeah, who'd trust carbon for anything other than racing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

Andre Jute

Jun 26, 2010, 12:05:53 PM6/26/10

Before you rush out to order your own carbon bike with your own money,
Bill, give Raleigh a call. Tell them you have more skin to tattoo with
Raleigh logotypes than that guy in the vid, and you promise to crash
gorily only before capacity crowds... They'll probably pay you as well
as give you several nice white carbon bikes (all the same so that no
one knows how many you trashed in practice) and lots of colorful
clothes.

Andre Jute
I just mix the kool-aid, I don't drink it

Bill Sornson

Jun 26, 2010, 2:19:47 PM6/26/10
Andre Jute wrote:
> On Jun 26, 3:16 am, "Bill Sornson" <so...@noyb.com> wrote:

>> Yeah, who'd trust carbon for anything other than racing:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

> Before you rush out to order your own carbon bike with your own money,

Already got one, Andre, thanks.

> Bill, give Raleigh a call. Tell them you have more skin to tattoo with
> Raleigh logotypes than that guy in the vid, and you promise to crash
> gorily only before capacity crowds... They'll probably pay you as well
> as give you several nice white carbon bikes (all the same so that no
> one knows how many you trashed in practice) and lots of colorful
> clothes.
>
> Andre Jute
> I just mix the kool-aid, I don't drink it

I was more impressed with the guy's bike handling skills than the frame &
fork material; wild 'n wacky on pretty much ANY skinny tired rig.

Bill "takin' a sip" S.