Giro De Feminin

GoneBeforeMyTime

Jun 24, 2010, 12:53:43 PM6/24/10

http://www.procyclingwomen.com/Giro-Donne-2010/Giro-Donne.html

The Giro Donne offical site workup on the race has maps and profiles that
are largely unreadable and in Italian. I bascially redid it in English so
it's also readable with better details.

List of teams and riders might pop up on Cicloweb soon, I would keep an eye
on them. On the race, they stacked the three mountain stages at the end,
with the last stage being a clone like TDF party stage I guess, but if it's
close, anything can happen on the last day. It's pretty flat all the way
until they hit stage 7, and then it hurts, and it really hurts for stages 8
and 9 as well. I see this as a climbers tour, and that's not so bad cause I
had hoped the Giro Donne might one day do a selective tour for the climbers.
It's been many years since the women's tours were selective, noting even
here in America like HP Challenge and Redlands Oak Glen, although Gila has
the Monster and Toona has Blue Knob this year. In Europe the Grande Boucle
died and you have to go back to 2003 to find a selective tour for the
climbers.

Flavia O. is out with a testing violation, so she won't be there. She is
good climber, but probably Tiffany Cromwell will be there and she is good in
the mountains. However I see them as the B climbers. The A climbers are Emma
and Mara, possible Edita Pucinskaite, but Brandli and Luperini retired, so
two great climbers are gone. If HTC and Celvelo doesn't wear Mara out with
her National Team and both riders appear healthy and haven't crashed out by
the stage 7, then I expect this to be the Emma and Mara show, clearly, all
the way. No one else has the pedigree to hang with them in the mountains. I
don't believe Stevens can hang with those two girls. Mara would of won last
year if she hadn't of held back for Arndt on Monte Serra, so she could of
won if she wasn't actually pulling and holding back for Arndt. It depends on
how strong the national team is, Mara can't really do it all alone, but
Pooley has said the same thing. Team work is going to be important.

That bothers me a little, since it would be a good spectacle if it was a
fair fight. Celvelo got better cards to play, but even if Emma gets ahead on
the GC, I am still looking forward to who the best climber is on the
Stelvio. I don't see Vos, Cooke or Pucinskaite winning this tour, although
anything is possible. This is the longest and hardest tour of the year for
pro women, and all it really needs to please is solid TV coverage. Amber
Neben might figure into the tour if she's riding well, wait and see. Also
riders to watch are Arndt, Cantele and Guderzo. Hausler will be in the
fight, and since she won last year, it will interesting to see how things
get sorted out between her and Pooley. Worrack and Bronzini will be looking
for stage wins as will Teutenberg. Kind of reminds me of when the first part
of the TDF is over for the sprinters, and then the mountains take center
stage. I am not even sure if all these riders will even be in this tour, but
it's a good guess that they would be. I'm hearing that Cooke probably will
not ride, but wait and see.

On the Giro for women, still the dark ages like most women's races. The
World Championships and the Olympics are televised worldwide, but not most
pro women's road classics. However, I am pretty sure RAI-3 will do at least
10 to 30 minutes daily coverage with hour or more wrap-ups on weekends.
Otherwise it won't be on Versus, Universal Sports or Eurosport. At least I
am pretty sure it won't be on anywhere except RAI-3. On the Internet, it
probably won't even be on any sort of Internet TV. The Giro De Feminin is
difficult to follow by the press because of the transfers. That's why most
of the guys I know who work the races over them avoid the women's Giro.
However CJ will probably cover it cause that's what she does. She is paid to
cover world cup and UCI races, that's what she does. However she will only
have photos and race reports, and the photos are not too hot in my opinion.
Mostly became they are so small and laced with copyright and watermarks.

If Ronconi goes, he will get some great photos and post them on Piscasso.
Other then that, Cicloweb will also go to some stages and post photos on
Piscasso. The official site will also post photos plus videos on Youtube.
Those are usually fun to watch, although fairly short. Aside from that there
are a few freelance guys who also post photos and homemade videos. I expect
Ciclismoinrosa to take photos and post a few videos. Bart Hazen covers a lot
of races but I am betting he won't be there because of the amount of trouble
involved to cover that race. I think William Meertans sort of retired or got
married. It seems both of those women's cycling magazines have gone belly up
in less then a year. One from America, one from Europe, so I can't say the
sport on the women's side has really improved that much. However, this
year's edition of the Giro De Feminin is a good one, and there is a fair
amount of interest to see it play out between Pooley and Abbott.

Anton Berlin

Jun 24, 2010, 9:50:54 PM6/24/10
Not one god damn mention of Liz Hatch ? I thought she was in Europe
racing bikes? With other women? Why would jesus let there be a bike
race not have Liz Hatch drop out of it ?

GoneBeforeMyTime

Jun 24, 2010, 11:45:15 PM6/24/10

I'm sure Hatch will be back, she finished last year's tour. This Tour is
great for social gatherings, very scenic.