Are you fucking kidding me? 13 retirements in the Vulva already?

Anton Berlin

Aug 29, 2010, 5:07:05 PM8/29/10
What a bunch of pussies
Retirements to date : Stage
Arkaitz Duran (Spa) Footon-Servetto 2 <<<
Arnaud Labbe (Fra) Cofidis, le credit en ligne 2 <<<
Davide Malacarne (Ita) Quick Step 2 <<<
Gianni Meersman (Bel) FDJ 2 <<<
Hubert Dupont (Fra) Ag2R-La Mondiale 2 <<<
Jose-Luis Arrieta (Spa) Ag2R-La Mondiale 2 <<<
Julian Dean (NZL) Garmin-Transitions 2 <<<
Lars-Petter Nordhaug (Nor) Team Sky 2 <<<
Lars-Ytting Bak (Den) Team HTC-Columbia 2 <<<
Mickael Buffaz (Fra) Cofidis, le credit en ligne 2 <<<
Nick Nuyens (Bel) Rabobank 2 <<<
Serafin Martinez (Spa) Xacobeo Galicia 2 <<<
Valentin Iglinskiy (Kaz) Astana 2 <<<
Total retirements : 13

MyPostingID

Aug 29, 2010, 7:29:58 PM8/29/10
"What a bunch of pussies "

Says the guy sitting at home on his ass.

DirtRoadie

Aug 29, 2010, 9:02:29 PM8/29/10

I think you meant "Vuelta." Unless, of course, you were intentionally
stretching to make a pun. Big stretch, poor pun. Never mind.

With 110 degree F temperatures it's not all that surprising. Ever
ridden at that temperature? Ever raced at that temperature? Crashes
played a part too. But, yes, a big number for this early in the
race.

DR

Anton Berlin

Aug 29, 2010, 9:05:04 PM8/29/10

We've had 30 days above 100 in Dallas and yes I ride.

Frederick the Great

Aug 29, 2010, 9:20:41 PM8/29/10
In article
<7f30d7c7-a9d4-45a9...@q2g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>,
DirtRoadie <DirtR...@aol.com> wrote:

Early in a grand tour is _the_ place for massive pile ups.

--
Old Fritz

DirtRoadie

Aug 29, 2010, 9:22:27 PM8/29/10
On Aug 29, 7:05 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We've had 30 days above 100 in Dallas and yes I ride.

That's an nice evasive response. Do you ride when it's above 100 and
how many of the "30 days above 100 in Dallas" ( Assuming that you mean
(1) consecutive and (2) the last 30 days) have you ridden. How much
riding time during those days at temps above 100F?

I actually find that with sufficient hydration, road riding (maybe
not racing) is surprisingly more tolerable than off-road riding at the
same temperatures. Maybe more tolerable than any other physical
activity.
But I have only ridden up to, perhaps, 100F. Certainly not 110F and
certainly not for many hours at 100F+.

DR

Plano Dude

Aug 29, 2010, 11:06:17 PM8/29/10

100 degrees and single digit humidity doesn't compare to Dallas at
100+ degrees and 30-40% humidity

Kurgan Gringioni

Aug 30, 2010, 2:12:42 AM8/30/10

"DirtRoadie" <DirtR...@aol.com> wrote in message

:: With 110 degree F temperatures it's not all that surprising. Ever

:: ridden at that temperature? Ever raced at that temperature? Crashes
:: played a part too. But, yes, a big number for this early in the
:: race.

Dumbass -

I've raced @ 115 degrees F.

I agree with Anton. Those guys are getting paid.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Davey Crockett

Aug 30, 2010, 5:03:00 AM8/30/10
"Kurgan Gringioni" a écrit profondement:

| I've raced @ 115 degrees F.
>
| I agree with Anton. Those guys are getting paid.

Well, 110f/43c is getting a tad hot

But around here, if you didn't ride in heat approaching those
temperatures, you wouldn't get much riding in.

Davey admits, however, that in summer he likes to start around 0600h
and be back by noon

The main thing to watch is that you have enough water

--
Davey Crockett

Anton Berlin

Aug 30, 2010, 9:54:44 AM8/30/10
It's an RBR lovefest - we all agree. And no I have gotten old enough
and smart enough to ride early or late. 100 degrees is nice once the
sun goes down. And anyone that's ridden enough to know - knows that
you adapt to cold and you adapt to heat. If these guys are dropping
out because of heat it's because they didn't prepare properly and get
acclimated. They're 'pros' and the should be prepared to race more
than a 14 minute TTT and a stage.

Kurgan Gringioni

Aug 30, 2010, 1:46:41 PM8/30/10

"Anton Berlin" <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: It's an RBR lovefest - we all agree. And no I have gotten old enough

Dumbass -

The two things to do are:

1) Duh. train in the heat.

2) lose weight. fat=insulation. The skinnier a racer is, the less mass
he/she has relative to surface area. If a racer has a low mass/surface area
ratio, he/she will have an advantage in the ability to shed the heat the
working muscles produce. As the race goes on there will be a continuous
stream of fatties dropping off, even if a race run in the heat is totally
flat.

Iris Postler

Aug 31, 2010, 2:47:51 PM8/31/10

I dont know where you got that list, but most of them are still
riding. Serafin Martinez, e.g, is wearing the mountains jersey.

Bob Martin

Aug 31, 2010, 2:08:17 PM8/31/10

That was (partly) my fault - I ran the report when the GC was incomplete.
It was corrected the following morning.