the "new" Ricco

David Padgham

Mar 17, 2010, 2:23:05 PM3/17/10
he's back ... http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-to-return-at-the-coppi-and-bartali-stage-race

But will he have any friends in the peloton when he returns next week?

Scott

Mar 17, 2010, 5:48:20 PM3/17/10
On Mar 17, 12:23 pm, David Padgham <david.padg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> he's back ...http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-to-return-at-the-coppi-and-bart...

> But will he have any friends in the peloton when he returns next week?

Probably not, surely not even a 50/50 chance.

ronaldo_jeremiah

Mar 17, 2010, 6:29:35 PM3/17/10
On Mar 17, 1:23 pm, David Padgham <david.padg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> he's back ...http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-to-return-at-the-coppi-and-bart...
>
> But will he have any friends in the peloton when he returns next week?

He didn't before, so why should he now?

In any case, sociopaths don't need friends.

-rj

David Padgham

Mar 17, 2010, 7:18:38 PM3/17/10
On Mar 17, 6:29 pm, ronaldo_jeremiah <ronaldo_jerem...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

just wondering if someone might "accidentally" flick him into a ditch
or something ... i mean, he can't just jump in and roll around like
he's erik zabel or something.

Andre

Mar 17, 2010, 9:13:26 PM3/17/10

he's back too early

Ryan Cousineau

Mar 18, 2010, 12:10:54 AM3/18/10
In article
<d0caf9a0-442b-4100...@t20g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
David Padgham <david....@gmail.com> wrote:

As I frequently prove here, I'm dense and have no memory. Ricco got
busted, and by all accounts was a pretty reckless doper, but what did he
do that was so much more odious than the usual doping offense?

I mean, yeah, dopers suck, but I don't think it generally engenders
inherent hatred from the peloton.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

Scott

Mar 18, 2010, 12:36:55 AM3/18/10
On Mar 17, 10:10 pm, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article
> <d0caf9a0-442b-4100-ba24-99f35c64c...@t20g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,

>  David Padgham <david.padg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > he's back ...
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-to-return-at-the-coppi-and-bart...

> > But will he have any friends in the peloton when he returns next week?
>
> As I frequently prove here, I'm dense and have no memory. Ricco got
> busted, and by all accounts was a pretty reckless doper, but what did he
> do that was so much more odious than the usual doping offense?
>
> I mean, yeah, dopers suck, but I don't think it generally engenders
> inherent hatred from the peloton.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau rcous...@gmail.comhttp://www.wiredcola.com/

> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

From the quotes I've seen attributed to other pros, such as Cavendish,
the 'peloton' thinks he's unrepentant.

Sim

Mar 18, 2010, 3:50:32 AM3/18/10

> From the quotes I've seen attributed to other pros, such as Cavendish,
> the 'peloton' thinks he's unrepentant.- Hide quoted text -

No one actually cares about that, you just have to say stuff to teh
media.
He'll show up, ride his bike, people will say hi, have a chat, end of
story. No big deal.

A. Dumas Fred

Mar 18, 2010, 6:32:08 AM3/18/10
Scott wrote:
> On Mar 17, 10:10 pm, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As I frequently prove here, I'm dense and have no memory. Ricco got
>> busted, and by all accounts was a pretty reckless doper, but what did he
>> do that was so much more odious than the usual doping offense?
>>
>> I mean, yeah, dopers suck, but I don't think it generally engenders
>> inherent hatred from the peloton.
>
> From the quotes I've seen attributed to other pros, such as Cavendish,
> the 'peloton' thinks he's unrepentant.

Yes, but also a general character/personality thing. Somehow, for
instance because he dumped his wife the moment *she* tested positive, he
is less likeable than Basso, Valverde, VDB, Pantani. Dumbassery all
around, but there you have it. And the one thing the cycling world
doesn't like is a tattle tale: Riccò committed the cardinal sin of
admitting he doped AND telling where he got it from. That's why he got a
reduced sentence.

Scott

Mar 18, 2010, 10:11:27 AM3/18/10

Wasn't it Kohl who named names? I don't recall Ricco doing such, but
my recall ain't what it used to be.

David Padgham

Mar 18, 2010, 11:38:10 AM3/18/10

A. Dumas Fred

Mar 18, 2010, 12:15:28 PM3/18/10
Scott wrote:

> On Mar 18, 4:32 am, "A. Dumas Fred" wrote:
>> And the one thing the cycling world
>> doesn't like is a tattle tale: Riccò committed the cardinal sin of
>> admitting he doped AND telling where he got it from. That's why he got a
>> reduced sentence.
>
> Wasn't it Kohl who named names? I don't recall Ricco doing such, but
> my recall ain't what it used to be.

I didn't say he named names and I don't think he did.

Scott

Mar 18, 2010, 1:19:52 PM3/18/10

Excuse me, but wouldn't the act of telling where he got it from, which
you DID say, be the same as 'naming names', which you now deny?

I'm just saying.

MagillaGorilla

Mar 21, 2010, 5:02:58 AM3/21/10
David Padgham wrote:

> he's back ... http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-to-return-at-the-coppi-and-bartali-stage-race
>
> But will he have any friends in the peloton when he returns next week?

Dumbass,

50% of the peloton is still doped up. So yes, half of the peloton will still be his friend and 100%
of the riders from Spain and Italy. Stop talking like a Garmin rider.

Thanks,

Magilla

MagillaGorilla

Mar 21, 2010, 5:11:44 AM3/21/10
Scott wrote:

Oh, let me get this straight.....according to you and the rocket scientists
like the Caveman, it's perfectly okay if you dope...but if you're not
"repentant" about it, then that's what trips the antipathy switch from the
peloton?

Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. And what does the Caveman do when
he talks to Columbia/HTC women's D.S. Rene Wenzel, who never showed any
remorse for injecting "extract of cortisone" into the hineys of Greg Strock
and Erich Kaiter?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2006/04/news/six-years-later-strock-case-comes-to-court_9763

Magilla

MagillaGorilla

Mar 21, 2010, 5:13:43 AM3/21/10
David Padgham wrote:

Like the GEICO Caveman would have otherwise been in contention for the any of the
mountain-top finishes Ricco won anyway. Please.

Magilla

Amit Ghosh

Mar 21, 2010, 11:46:13 AM3/21/10
On Mar 21, 5:11 am, MagillaGorilla <magi...@sandiegozoo.com> wrote:

> Oh, let me get this straight.....according to you and the rocket scientists
> like the Caveman, it's perfectly okay if you dope...but if you're not
> "repentant" about it, then that's what trips the antipathy switch from the
> peloton?

dumbass,

i once worked for a guy (who was a kind of a tyrant actually) and once
someone fucked up and was all "Oh sorry..." and his response was "I
never want to hear that word again".

but somehow we've embraced this system where when someone does
something wrong we are willing to cut them a tremendous amount of
slack if they "just say they're sorry" - which is a completely
meaningless act, especially if they knew they were doing something
wrong or are unwilling to do anything to correct the situation (like
cavendish's boss aldag and mentor zabel).

but thanks to this apology currency we have a society where people
know they can fuck up either deliberately or though ignorance and buy
themselves some leniency with a few meaningless words.

at least ricco is honest, he admits he doped because he wanted to win
bike races and insulting the public with a lame apology.

Fred Flintstein

Mar 21, 2010, 1:07:20 PM3/21/10
MagillaGorilla wrote:
> And what does the Caveman do when
> he talks to Columbia/HTC women's D.S. Rene Wenzel, who never showed any
> remorse for injecting "extract of cortisone" into the hineys of Greg Strock
> and Erich Kaiter?

Presumably he does the same thing Millar did when he talked
to his old boss Mauro Rhymes With Perflouro.

Fred Flintstein