Re: You Can Crash While Cycle Racing Without Road Rash

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jun 1, 2011, 10:36:26 PM6/1/11
On 5/31/2011 9:26 PM,Tºm Shermªn wrote:
> See: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwn_davpik8&feature=player_embedded>.

Cross-posted for the enjoyment of the RBR, RBM and RBS folks!

--
Tºm Shermªn - Trollville
That is "Mr. Dumbass" to you.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jun 1, 2011, 11:53:11 PM6/1/11
On Jun 1, 7:36 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

Dumbass,

I retract all of my previous support of the UCI stick-in-the-mud
mandatory diamond frame rules. Clearly, the Tour de France,
and even more so, the Ronde van Vlaanderen, would be greatly
improved when contested by unstable speeding pillboxes.
Cycling has only begun to scratch the surface of its
spectator appeal - NASCAR has nothing on this for
wreckage potential.

Fredmaster Ben
I can hardly wait for the cyclocross version!

Anton Berlin

Jun 2, 2011, 8:44:53 AM6/2/11

I kept hoping Godzilla would come to crush and destroy all that
moves.

Brad Anders

Jun 2, 2011, 10:19:06 AM6/2/11

The military green torpedo is my fave.

Cam

Jun 2, 2011, 10:38:43 AM6/2/11
On Jun 1, 11:53 pm, Fredmaster of Brainerd <bjwei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I retract all of my previous support of the UCI stick-in-the-mud
> mandatory diamond frame rules.  Clearly, the Tour de France,
> and even more so, the Ronde van Vlaanderen, would be greatly
> improved when contested by unstable speeding pillboxes.
> Cycling has only begun to scratch the surface of its
> spectator appeal - NASCAR has nothing on this for
> wreckage potential.
>
> Fredmaster Ben
> I can hardly wait for the cyclocross version!

Perhaps the UCI could run an event/fundraiser right after the TDF for
these special athletes.

Cam

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jun 2, 2011, 2:42:21 PM6/2/11
On 6/2/2011 9:19 AM, Brad Anders wrote:

> The military green torpedo is my fave.

Green #2 lapped the field 8 times (225 laps completed, with second place
doing 217 laps).

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

James

Jun 2, 2011, 7:52:03 PM6/2/11
Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:
> On 6/2/2011 9:19 AM, Brad Anders wrote:
>>
>> The military green torpedo is my fave.
>
> Green #2 lapped the field 8 times (225 laps completed, with second place
> doing 217 laps).

If only they learned to lean in to the corners.

--
JS.

James

Jun 2, 2011, 7:53:16 PM6/2/11

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:03:46 PM6/2/11

Dang! (download the plugin)

On another computer I saw the first one, though:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DIwn_davpik8%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded

... whjeee! 8-)

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jun 2, 2011, 8:06:59 PM6/2/11

Has been done, but not found to be worth the added weight and complexity.

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:07:44 PM6/2/11
> http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D...
>
> ... whjeee! 8-)

... what I didn't like was needin' somebody to pick you up (besides
the ambulance crew)

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:10:08 PM6/2/11

I've been loaded up off the track at least a couple or few times
(those kind of injuries tend to make them hard to remember
exactly :-) Always got up off the street by myself, though so far

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jun 2, 2011, 8:13:10 PM6/2/11
On 6/2/2011 7:07 PM, Dan O wrote:
> On Jun 2, 5:03 pm, Dan O<danover...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Like this..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hOA2C_XMA
>>
>> Dang! (download the plugin)

Welcome to the world of Adobe Flash™.

>> On another computer I saw the first one, though:
>> http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D...
>>
>> ... whjeee! 8-)
>
> ... what I didn't like was needin' somebody to pick you up (besides
> the ambulance crew)

The velomobiles are light enough that they could likely be rocked back
upright or the rider could exit, but the fastest way to get back in the
race is to let the course workers do it. And of course, no road rash to
the riders.

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:13:23 PM6/2/11
On Jun 2, 5:10 pm, Dan O <danover...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 5:07 pm, Dan O <danover...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Always got up off the street by myself, though so far

... been inside a truck pitched over both wheels locked up on sandy
asphalt, though (bottom of a hill, too :-) -let go brakes and pulled
that fucker out! Other shit like that, too :-)

"Held my hand over a candle"

Can't wait to get up to high rock when the sun comes out up there
again

</baka>

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:15:08 PM6/2/11
On Jun 2, 5:13 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

upper body probably 25 percent affected (so far :-) Deep ones are
serious

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:18:49 PM6/2/11
> upper body [not counting my head (way>10%), as helmets have used] probably 25 percent affected (so far :-) Deep ones are
> serious

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:25:34 PM6/2/11
On Jun 2, 5:13 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net"> wrote:
<baka>

I've also been out there on the track like those guys after falling
down and getting my head run right over by the pack before I could get
up (at least once that I remember ;-). (forunately had I necver got
to the mile ovals yet)

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:27:02 PM6/2/11

legs not so much, but you should see my leathers

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:31:32 PM6/2/11
$southslope.net"> wrote:
> On 6/2/2011 7:07 PM, Dan O wrote:

> >> Dang! (download the plugin)
>
> Welcome to the world of Adobe Flash™.

closed source native execution environment, personal laptop :-)

> >> On another computer I saw the first one, though:
> >> http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D...
>
> >> ... whjeee! 8-)

Good racin

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:32:04 PM6/2/11

"Pain gonna make everything all right"

Dan O

Jun 2, 2011, 8:32:58 PM6/2/11

sorry about the barrage there

http://www.howtogetagrip.com/

James

Jun 2, 2011, 8:58:20 PM6/2/11

Like turtles on their backs!

--
JS.

James

Jun 2, 2011, 9:00:19 PM6/2/11

Had the ol' '67 Land Rover on 2 wheels going round a corner one day.
Shit myself! Counter steered back to earth on all four wheels -
thankfully. Not my idea of fun. For Frank's sake, I need to grow
bigger balls!

--
JS.

AMuzi

Jun 2, 2011, 9:11:31 PM6/2/11
-snippy snip-

Dan O wrote:
> sorry about the barrage there
> http://www.howtogetagrip.com/

Thank you, Dan.

I just sent that link to a guy who spent the entire day
being screwed by his ex and her attorneys.

r.b.t. : not just tech any more!

Now with tech, old approaches to tired subjects, hateful
diatribes and NEW psychotherapy!

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jun 2, 2011, 9:39:59 PM6/2/11
On 6/2/2011 7:25 PM, Dan O wrote:
> On Jun 2, 5:13 pm, T�m Sherm�n� �_�<""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

Motorcycle flat track racing?

DougC

Jun 3, 2011, 3:21:06 PM6/3/11
On 6/2/2011 7:06 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:
> On 6/2/2011 6:53 PM, James wrote:
>> James wrote:

>>> If only they learned to lean in to the corners.
>>>

>> Like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hOA2C_XMA
>>

> Has been done, but not found to be worth the added weight and complexity.

Watching the video is interesting.

It would seem that doing well in such circumstances is not only about
just being able to go fast in a mostly-straight line, but also of having
good lateral stability (handling), good brakes and a functional reverse
gear....

I look at this and also wonder about using bicycle wheels at all, just
because they use so much internal space. Karting wheels would seem to be
a better choice.

Kinda makes me wish there was regular competitions like this in the USA.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jun 3, 2011, 8:03:24 PM6/3/11
On 6/3/2011 2:21 PM, DougC wrote:
> On 6/2/2011 7:06 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:

>>> Like this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hOA2C_XMA
>>>

>> Has been done, but not found to be worth the added weight and complexity.
>>

> Watching the video is interesting.
>
> It would seem that doing well in such circumstances is not only about
> just being able to go fast in a mostly-straight line, but also of having
> good lateral stability (handling), good brakes and a functional reverse
> gear....

Notice how the winner (Green Trisled Aquila #2 at 0:43-0:47, 0:58-1:04,
2:54 to 2:57 and 3:11 to 3:19) always seems to be on a better line that
most of the other racers:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwn_davpik8&feature=player_embedded>.

> I look at this and also wonder about using bicycle wheels at all, just
> because they use so much internal space. Karting wheels would seem to be
> a better choice.

Rolling resistance is critical, with so little power available.

> Kinda makes me wish there was regular competitions like this in the USA.

Indeed.

Frank Krygowski

Jun 3, 2011, 10:56:41 PM6/3/11
On Jun 3, 3:21 pm, DougC <dcim...@norcom2000.com> wrote:

> I look at this and also wonder about using bicycle wheels at all, just
> because they use so much internal space. Karting wheels would seem to be
> a better choice.

I wonder why there were no two-wheelers. Or did I miss them? Is it a
race rule to have three, or is there some advantage?

I'd have thought that two wheels would lower rolling resistance,
greatly reduce tendency to roll over, and perhaps lower wind
resistance as well. The top-speed record setters are all two-
wheelers, aren't they?

> Kinda makes me wish there was regular competitions like this in the USA.

I recall watching one similar race in NW Pennsylvania back about
1980. The designs hadn't settled out at that point in time, so there
were some truly weird machines - and riders!

One rider in particular was a sort of post-apocalyptic character,
wearing combat boots and riding a very low, very crude Frankenbike
with something over 100 speeds. He went everywhere wearing two large
eyeglass mirrors, one on each side. Quite freaky! I wonder where he
is now.

- Frank Krygowski

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Jun 3, 2011, 11:50:53 PM6/3/11
On 6/3/2011 9:56 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On Jun 3, 3:21�pm, DougC<dcim...@norcom2000.com> wrote:
>>
>> I look at this and also wonder about using bicycle wheels at all, just
>> because they use so much internal space. Karting wheels would seem to be
>> a better choice.
>
> I wonder why there were no two-wheelers. Or did I miss them? Is it a
> race rule to have three, or is there some advantage?

Minimum of three wheels:
<http://www.pedalprix.com.au/files/documents/2011%20Vehicle%20Specifications.pdf>.

> I'd have thought that two wheels would lower rolling resistance,
> greatly reduce tendency to roll over, and perhaps lower wind
> resistance as well. The top-speed record setters are all two-
> wheelers, aren't they?

Yes.

>> Kinda makes me wish there was regular competitions like this in the USA.
>
> I recall watching one similar race in NW Pennsylvania back about
> 1980. The designs hadn't settled out at that point in time, so there
> were some truly weird machines - and riders!
>
> One rider in particular was a sort of post-apocalyptic character,
> wearing combat boots and riding a very low, very crude Frankenbike
> with something over 100 speeds. He went everywhere wearing two large
> eyeglass mirrors, one on each side. Quite freaky! I wonder where he
> is now.

Did he look like this:
<http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/MVC-023S.JPG>?

Would be Chalo's friend from his Seattle days, Joe Kochanowski:
<http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/>.

Dan O

Jun 4, 2011, 12:21:31 PM6/4/11
On Jun 2, 6:39 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

uh-huh

Frank Krygowski

Jun 4, 2011, 3:40:05 PM6/4/11
On Jun 3, 11:50 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

$southslope.net"> wrote:

> > I recall watching one similar race in NW Pennsylvania back about
> > 1980.  The designs hadn't settled out at that point in time, so there
> > were some truly weird machines - and riders!
>
> > One rider in particular was a sort of post-apocalyptic character,
> > wearing combat boots and riding a very low, very crude Frankenbike
> > with something over 100 speeds.  He went everywhere wearing two large
> > eyeglass mirrors, one on each side.  Quite freaky!  I wonder where he
> > is now.
>
> Did he look like this:
> <http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/MVC-023S.JPG>?
>
> Would be Chalo's friend from his Seattle days, Joe Kochanowski:
> <http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/>.

Son of a gun! That's the guy! Good call.

BTW, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers runs annual Human
Powered Vehicle competitions for teams of college students.
http://www.asme.org/events/competitions

- Frank Krygowski