Don't just climb Alpe d'Huez...

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 31, 2011, 2:16:46 AM7/31/11
This is a ride report for a trip my son and I took a week ago Friday in
France, on the opposite side of the valley from Alpe d'Huez. If you're
ever in the area and have the opportunity to ride Alpe d'Huez, sure, you
have to, it's such a famous climb. But this one comes closer to a
religious experience.

http://chainreactionblogs.com/diary/2011/07/30/the-back-side-of-water

Off-topic? Maybe, but we did this climb just before heading up Alpe
d'Huez to watch the race. Does that count?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Fred Flintstein

Aug 1, 2011, 9:17:34 AM8/1/11

Mmmmmmmm, balcony roads. Very cool.

I had a chance to see the road to the Gavia about that time. Via
car, as circumstances would have it. A single lane road with
precipitous drops. They manage two-way traffic by throwing in
occasional wide spots that are just enough for two average size
vehicles to get by each other. On our way up we had to squeak
around a stopped car where one of the occupants was having
anxiety issues and was unwilling to continue. Which was tough
because it ain't like you can just pull off the road and turn
around.

It was very cool, although I had an occupant that was having
less severe anxiety issues so that feeling wasn't unanimous.
And yes, there was snow at the top.

A. Dumas

Aug 1, 2011, 1:54:53 PM8/1/11
Fred Flintstein wrote:
> Mmmmmmmm, balcony roads. Very cool.
>
> I had a chance to see the road to the Gavia about that time. Via
> car, as circumstances would have it. A single lane road with
> precipitous drops. They manage two-way traffic by throwing in
> occasional wide spots that are just enough for two average size
> vehicles to get by each other. On our way up we had to squeak
> around a stopped car where one of the occupants was having
> anxiety issues and was unwilling to continue. Which was tough
> because it ain't like you can just pull off the road and turn
> around.
>
> It was very cool, although I had an occupant that was having
> less severe anxiety issues so that feeling wasn't unanimous.
> And yes, there was snow at the top.

Cool. Who won?

Frederick the Great

Aug 1, 2011, 2:14:18 PM8/1/11
In article <4e36e86d$0$23982$e4fe...@news2.news.xs4all.nl>,
"A. Dumas" <alex...@dumas.fr.invalid> wrote:

Do you _enjoy_ pain?

--
Old Fritz

Fred Flintstein

Aug 1, 2011, 2:28:05 PM8/1/11

I dropped the couple in the car that was stopped and never
saw them again.

Simply Fred

Aug 1, 2011, 4:00:10 PM8/1/11

A. Dumas wrote:
> Cool. Who won?

Andy of course. But you knew that all along.

Anton Berlin

Aug 2, 2011, 12:30:58 PM8/2/11

We can look back at Jobst's photos from the early 60s and feel the
passion, emotions and love we all have for mountains and bicycles.

Somehow a bike friday is the equal of using a condom. Sure you did
it... but it just doesn't feel as good.

Ryan Cousineau

Aug 2, 2011, 1:04:19 PM8/2/11
On Aug 1, 11:14 am, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article <4e36e86d$0$23982$e4fe5...@news2.news.xs4all.nl>,

Rbr reader, DUH!

Mark

Aug 4, 2011, 8:14:25 PM8/4/11
On Jul 31, 2:16 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

Thanks! I didn't know about the Villard Notre Dame climb.

Were you with the tour during stage 15 this year? It went through
Aigne, I believe. The ride from Aigne to Minerve is pretty cool. It
rises to a village (Minerve) that is perched on the edge of a gorge.