Millar said what?

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 8, 2011, 1:39:14 AM6/8/11
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar-calls-for-closure-in-armstrong-and-contador-investigations
"Does anybody out there seriously doubt that Contador was riding clean
in the Giro d'Italia that has just finished? You don't win the biggest
races in the world with such clockwork regularity and comparative ease,
and in such style, by not being the supreme talent and clean. In my
experience the profile of a doper is always much more erratic and
unpredictable."

Both Contador and Lance have been two of the most "predictable" riders
of our era. Everything he says about Contador applies to Lance. And then
he says such can only be the result of having/being "supreme talent and
clean." I can't buy that logic for either one of them. Strange thing for
David Millar to be saying. Of course, this is the same guy who, during
the first Tour of California, spent more than a few minutes discussing
with a team mate the best way to stuff sunglasses into a helmet, and
then went into a fit over how Oakleys fit perfectly into a Giro helmet,
but Giro sunglasses (when sponsored him) did not. I can't tell with
Millar is a certifiable genius, with a mind operating on a level that
mere mortals can't comprehend and deal with, or if he's taking to a
different form of dope.

And, once more, we see incredibly shoddy journalism where such remarks
(about what makes him think Contador is clean) go without challenge or
clarification.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

ilan

Jun 8, 2011, 6:57:31 AM6/8/11
On Jun 8, 7:39 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar-calls-for-closure-in-armstrong...

My enduring memory of Millar speaking is at the end of the 2003 TdF
Gap stage, where he is being interviewed and the ambulance carrying
Beloki drives by. As the siren becomes impossible to ignore, he looks
around mumbling something and continues to talk about himself.
Speaking of which, in that Tour, he got his manager fired for not
convincing him strongly enough to not remove the front derailleur,
which resulted him in losing the prologue.

Oh, that was the "old" Millar before his redemption from drug abuse.

-ilan

NoDannyNo

Jun 8, 2011, 7:04:30 AM6/8/11
On Jun 8, 1:39 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar-calls-for-closure-in-armstrong...

Is Millar a certifiable genius?

In "Racing Through The Dark", Millar offers up this with regard to
being asked to take EPO by his team director:

"I had done well -- bloody well -- as a clean rider. I had stood my
ground, done my bit, but now it was out of my hands. The team needed
me to accept my obligations, and now it made sense."

So his decision to dope essentially boils down to "I was just
following orders". Seems to me that a real genius could come up with
something better than that.

Simply Fred

Jun 8, 2011, 8:39:22 AM6/8/11
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> I can't tell with Millar is a certifiable genius, with a mind operating on a level that
> mere mortals can't comprehend and deal with, or if he's taking to a
> different form of dope.

This is the same person who kept a used EPO vial as a memento.
Certifiable imbecile would be a better description.

Anton Berlin

Jun 8, 2011, 9:48:00 AM6/8/11
This is too obvious - Millar plans to run for political office soon.

He has all the essential attributes ; denial of reality, stupid, ass-
kissing yes man and egocentric liar.

yirgster

Jun 8, 2011, 12:44:13 PM6/8/11
In Kimmage's book Rough Ride he cites Millar as a prime example of someone who's attitude and public statements personify the drug problem in cycling. His 2006 press conference exchange with Millar is on pages 280-282.

------ from Rough Ride (quotes are from Millar in 2006, I assume) ----

Millar on drugs in cycling: "There has been a huge change in the sport is the past couple of years." [I believe Kimmage quotes him several years earlier espousing the same.]

[kimmage several times quotes similar statements by various people as personifying the denial and let's-get-attention-away-from-it refrain of "drugs are no longer a problem", so we can continue doping in peace as before.]

Millar on the poor performance of the French in recent years: "The problem with French teams is that they blame it all on drugs when the bottom lines is that the success of all the Americans and anglophones is down to hard work."

Millar on the success of the Spanish teams: "The Spanish guys and the Spanish teams are a lot more relaxed. They are not always complaining like the French riders."

[ Maybe the Spanish take xanax also. Possibly supplemented with an SSRI. ]

yirgster

Jun 8, 2011, 12:50:08 PM6/8/11
[Pls forgive if this shows up twice. google said I should repost it.]

atriage

Jun 8, 2011, 4:30:53 PM6/8/11

He's from Scotland, wtf did anyone expect?

Simply Fred

Jun 8, 2011, 4:55:30 PM6/8/11

atriage wrote:
> He's from Scotland, wtf did anyone expect?

Sounds like a joke about the Scotsman, the Irishman and a used EPO vial.
Or maybe how many pro cyclists it takes to change a light bulb.

Fred Flintstein

Jun 8, 2011, 5:27:47 PM6/8/11

You're thinking of Robert Millar, very much a Scot.

David Millar was born in Malta and spent more of his youth in
England and Hong Kong than anywhere else.

Just a factual correction, I don't have a problem with ripping
on Scots.

atriage

Jun 9, 2011, 4:54:20 PM6/9/11
On 08/06/2011 22:27, Fred Flintstein wrote:
> On 6/8/2011 3:30 PM, atriage wrote:
>>>
>>> This is the same person who kept a used EPO vial as a memento.
>>> Certifiable imbecile would be a better description.
>>
>> He's from Scotland, wtf did anyone expect?
>
> You're thinking of Robert Millar, very much a Scot.

Lol yeah, dour and unfriendly as they come...good cyclist though.

> David Millar was born in Malta and spent more of his youth in
> England and Hong Kong than anywhere else.

Yes his parents were Scots but I didn't know he was a
Maltese/English/HongKong hybrid.
The wiki page on him says he characterises other pro cyclists as a bunch
of uneducated dimwits, I wonder who he's been hanging with?

> Just a factual correction, I don't have a problem with ripping
> on Scots.

:)

Frederick the Great

Jun 10, 2011, 1:45:15 PM6/10/11