Cycling must 'dare to change'

Zenon

Jun 2, 2011, 12:38:00 AM6/2/11

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 2, 2011, 1:00:58 AM6/2/11
"Zenon" <zenon_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:a55333ba-2265-4f39...@h12g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9490000/9490860.stm

"The question now is whether one of the world's dirtiest sports can lead
the cleanup."

Slow news day, eh?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Randall

Jun 2, 2011, 1:18:49 AM6/2/11
A first offense lifetime ban is the only answer.

On Jun 1, 10:00 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

Anton Berlin

Jun 2, 2011, 8:40:02 AM6/2/11
On Jun 2, 12:00 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "Zenon" <zenon_jask...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Can you point to a dirtier more corrupt sport ?

Revtom

Jun 2, 2011, 8:41:47 AM6/2/11

Zero tolerance accomplishes nothing. Call for: All riders to 'fess up.
General amnesty. Stop the madness of multiple mountain climbs and/or
summit finishes in the same week(of major tours). Better hotels,
shorter transfers. The current testing protocols seem to be working;
testing during competition should not be done in the middle of the
night. Don't pounce on sub-therapeutic positives. Pro riders are not
flying airliners, operating heavy machinery, or performing surgery.

Fred Flintstein

Jun 2, 2011, 9:01:55 AM6/2/11

Tennis. Soccer. NBA Basketball. Hockey.

The whole fucking Olympics movement, top to bottom.

Dumbass.

Fred Flintstein

Jun 2, 2011, 9:05:25 AM6/2/11

If cycling would adopt the testing procedures that other major sports
did all this would stop and we could get back to watching the sport.

Sports that are not run by idiots don't have these problems.

Anton Berlin

Jun 2, 2011, 9:28:33 AM6/2/11
On Jun 2, 8:01 am, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
wrote:

Bullshit - show the stats you fucking cunt.

There are more positive tests in cycling and more org corruption (UCI)
than perhaps all others combined. And in %s cycling wins hands
down

You really do have your head up your ass Schwartzstein McJewstein

Brad Anders

Jun 2, 2011, 10:15:33 AM6/2/11
On Jun 1, 9:38 pm, Zenon <zenon_jask...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9490000/9490860.stm

IMO, the change that needs to be made is to recognize that you're not
going to stop drug cheating through draconian measures. Read the
recent report on the "Global War on Drugs"

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/06/war-drugs-still-failure/38399/

Pretty high-level, rather conservative group that came to this
conclusion. It's no different in sport, worse, perhaps. Legalization
and medical monitoring of the majority of drugs used in cycling is a
better solution than continuing to stick our heads in the sand and
believe this sport (or any) can be made "clean". At least we wouldn't
have to wait 1+ year to find out who "won" the TdF. It would also let
those who are considering being a pro cyclist know what they're
getting into, instead of being lied to and deceived.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jun 2, 2011, 11:34:49 AM6/2/11

Dumbass,

Jesus Christ on a cracker, read the news about the latest
FIFA election before you start ranting about how the UCI is
the most corrupt of all corrupt sports governing bodies.

Other orgs bury their positive tests. That's small potatoes
compared to the rest of their corruptions.

Fredmaster Ben

Fred Flintstein

Jun 2, 2011, 12:34:11 PM6/2/11

That's why cycling should conduct their sport the way the other
sports I mentioned do. The positive tests would stop and we could
get back to the sport.

Ask google about Chris Herren, he's been in the news lately. What
you'll find is that in the NBA freakin' HORSE(!) is under the radar.
The difference with cycling is that basketball isn't run by morons.

PS And when you watch the next Winter Olympics in Russia, ask
yourself how this could happen in an organization that is less
corrupt than the UCI.

Jim Feeley

Jun 2, 2011, 1:34:47 PM6/2/11
Zenon <zenon_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9490000/9490860.stm

Didn't they run the same story in 1960, 1967, 1984, 1988, 1998, 2006,
and other years?

Jim
--
Jim
Jim Feeley

FAT

Jun 2, 2011, 2:05:46 PM6/2/11
Bodybuilding.

"Anton Berlin" wrote in message

Scott

Jun 2, 2011, 2:48:35 PM6/2/11

Football ( NFL & FIFA ) MLB, track & field...

Ryan Cousineau

Jun 2, 2011, 9:01:11 PM6/2/11
On Thursday, 2 June 2011 07:15:33 UTC-7, Brad Anders wrote:

> On Jun 1, 9:38 pm, Zenon <zenon_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9490000/9490860.stm
>
> IMO, the change that needs to be made is to recognize that you're not
> going to stop drug cheating through draconian measures. Read the
> recent report on the "Global War on Drugs"
>
> http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/06/war-drugs-still-failure/38399/
>
> Pretty high-level, rather conservative group that came to this
> conclusion. It's no different in sport, worse, perhaps. Legalization
> and medical monitoring of the majority of drugs used in cycling is a
> better solution than continuing to stick our heads in the sand and
> believe this sport (or any) can be made "clean".

The difference between the GWOD and doping in the ProTour is that nobody is afraid a pot-head will steal their job. Coke-head? Maybe*....

*In the hypothetical (or not) case of a drug that actually enhanced at-work performance in normal non-entertainment jobs, most work is not a zero-sum game. If Joe the janitor can clean 10% better on Placebotex, then the place he's cleaning is 10% cleaner (or Joe can finish work 10% sooner). It's a net benefit for the world, because the work is done more productively. If a drug makes pro cyclists 10% faster, the racing isn't really 10% better. The race is ultimately a zero-sum game, in that no matter what else happens, one racer wins, the rest lose, and you can't really improve the entertainment value of the racing using drugs**

**you may arguably be able to improve the entertainment value of other forms of entertainment using drugs. I'm not sure "Rocky Balboa" would have been as good if 60-something Stallone hadn't been UTTERLY RIPPED during filming.

RicodJour

Jun 2, 2011, 9:52:18 PM6/2/11
On Jun 2, 9:01 pm, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 June 2011 07:15:33 UTC-7, Brad Anders  wrote:
> > On Jun 1, 9:38 pm, Zenon <zenon_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9490000/9490860.stm
>
> > IMO, the change that needs to be made is to recognize that you're not
> > going to stop drug cheating through draconian measures. Read the
> > recent report on the "Global War on Drugs"
>
> >http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/06/war-drugs-still-failu...

> > Pretty high-level, rather conservative group that came to this
> > conclusion. It's no different in sport, worse, perhaps. Legalization
> > and medical monitoring of the majority of drugs used in cycling is a
> > better solution than continuing to stick our heads in the sand and
> > believe this sport (or any) can be made "clean".
>
> The difference between the GWOD and doping in the ProTour is that nobody is afraid a pot-head will steal their job. Coke-head? Maybe*....
>
> *In the hypothetical (or not) case of a drug that actually enhanced at-work performance in normal non-entertainment jobs, most work is not a zero-sum game. If Joe the janitor can clean 10% better on Placebotex, then the place he's cleaning is 10% cleaner (or Joe can finish work 10% sooner). It's a net benefit for the world, because the work is done more productively. If a drug makes pro cyclists 10% faster, the racing isn't really 10% better. The race is ultimately a zero-sum game, in that no matter what else happens, one racer wins, the rest lose, and you can't really improve the entertainment value of the racing using drugs**
>
> **you may arguably be able to improve the entertainment value of other forms of entertainment using drugs. I'm not sure "Rocky Balboa" would have been as good if 60-something Stallone hadn't been UTTERLY RIPPED during filming.

*** which brings up the salient point of why bike racing doesn't allow
LSD. It certainly wouldn't be performance enhancing, but it would
elevate the entertainment value considerably. Anyone - anyone at all
- can ride a bike on a paved surface, but it takes a special sort that
can ride a bike on a road made up of writhing serpents.

Jimmy July

Jun 3, 2011, 12:01:19 AM6/3/11
On 6/1/2011 10:18 PM, Randall wrote:
> A first offense lifetime ban is the only answer.

Ignoring the problem is a more likely answer. It works for the NFL, the
NBA, FIFA, etc. Why argue with success?

Jimmy July

Jun 3, 2011, 12:02:27 AM6/3/11

This is totally obvious to anyone with the observational abilities of a
cucumber.

Jimmy July

Jun 3, 2011, 12:09:34 AM6/3/11

Those 350 lb guys in the NFL that can run a 5 second 40 yard dash,
you're certain they're clean? You should be, after all, they "never
failed a test". The stats PROVE it! That's really the mark proving that
everything's on the up-and-up. "Never failed a test" is Anton's gold
standard for cleanliness.

Either admit that Lance is and always has been clean, or admit that you
have your head up your ass. There's no other alternative.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 3, 2011, 1:17:49 AM6/3/11
"Anton Berlin" <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Can't find the good stuff to throw today?

Boxing. By a mile.

I'm not even including pro wrestling because it's assumed to be fixed
and anyone with a negative tox screen wouldn't be allowed in the pit.

Simply Fred

Jun 3, 2011, 4:58:11 AM6/3/11
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> Jesus Christ on a cracker, read the news about the latest
> FIFA election before you start ranting about how the UCI is
> the most corrupt of all corrupt sports governing bodies.

Perhaps we need something similar for our very own Patsy McQuaid:
<http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/sinksepp/playgame>

Choppy Warburton

Jun 3, 2011, 11:43:38 AM6/3/11
On Jun 3, 12:17 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Pro wrestling is a sport ?

Choppy Warburton

Jun 3, 2011, 11:52:03 AM6/3/11
but it takes a special sort that
> can ride a bike on a road made up of writhing serpents.

This is a bad idea. Can you imagine the fights that would ensue after
each race ? Charges laid upon the winning rider that HE WASN'T
DOPING ?

"Hey Zabriskie I know you weren't doping because you didn't even
flinch when that 32 foot purple gorilla came at you from the side."

"WTF are you talking about ? I was trying to out sprint the zombie
gang that was trying to eat me. Besides those giant turtles were
protecting me.from the monkeys"

The UCI will ultimately decide the winner based on the funniest post
race news conference and flashbacks will result in relegation 100% of
the time.

Frederick the Great

Jun 3, 2011, 2:44:27 PM6/3/11
In article
<9ec0acab-51af-4595...@c26g2000vbq.googlegroups.com>,
Choppy Warburton <choppyw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Pro wrestling is a sport ?

It is entertainment, right?
Cycling is a sport.
Cycling is entertainment.
Therefore wrestling is a sport.

--
Old Fritz

Fred Flintstein

Jun 4, 2011, 12:15:02 PM6/4/11
On 6/2/2011 10:34 AM, Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> Dumbass,
>
> Jesus Christ on a cracker, read the news about the latest
> FIFA election before you start ranting about how the UCI is
> the most corrupt of all corrupt sports governing bodies.
>
> Other orgs bury their positive tests. That's small potatoes
> compared to the rest of their corruptions.
>
> Fredmaster Ben

The US Chess Fed is the worst of the bunch. Thom Wiesel and
Sepp Blattner could learn a thing or two from Susan Polger.

So I've heard.