{OT} Anyone using a "Skype" type VOIP application

Davey Crockett

Oct 8, 2011, 9:26:07 AM10/8/11
Davey is looking for an alternative.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/10/08/58364420.html

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English
The Flag of Hengest and Horsa
http://usera.imagecave.com/daveycrockett/englishdragon.jpg

birdbrain

Oct 8, 2011, 7:05:29 PM10/8/11

ilan

Oct 8, 2011, 7:19:27 PM10/8/11

Google phone, I think it's free to USA/Canada phones from USA/Canada
IP addresses. Yahoo had VOIP a couple of years ago.

-ilan

Davey Crockett

Oct 8, 2011, 8:33:27 PM10/8/11
birdbrain a �crit profondement:

Thanks, I will look more closely later, but I have a notion that what
they are providing, or intend to provide, is just the SIP protocol -
somewhat like the smtp and http handshaking.

Davey Crockett

Oct 8, 2011, 8:59:51 PM10/8/11
ilan a écrit profondement:

| On Oct 8, 3:26 pm, Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:
| > Davey is looking for an alternative.
| >
| > http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/10/08/58364420.html

| Google phone, I think it's free to USA/Canada phones from USA/Canada
| IP addresses. Yahoo had VOIP a couple of years ago.

Thanks, but my strategy is to avoid any of the Big Brother companies.

It was the news that Microsoft had been cleared to buy Skype that
prompted me to search for another carrier.

I found one, voipcheap.com, which upon analysis can be a little more
expensive than skype despite their free calls to much of the world:
Andorra free*
Argentina free*
Australia free*
Austria free*
Belgium free*
Canada free*
Czech Republic free*
Denmark free*
Estonia free*
France free*
Germany free*
Hong Kong (+mobile) free*
Hungary free*
Iceland free*
Ireland free*
Italy free*
Luxembourg free*
Malaysia free*
Monaco free*
Netherlands free*
New Zealand free*
Norway free*
Poland free*
Portugal free*
Russian Federation [moscow] free*
South Korea free*
Spain free*
Sweden free*
Switzerland free*
United Kingdom free*
United States (+mobile) free*

I opened an account and put some money in it and will try a call to a
friend in Austin, USA later to see how it goes.

Besides, I have a notion that Microsoft may be more interested in
Skype's portfolio of live email addresses than they are in providing a
VOIP service, otherwise they could have bought a smaller company if all
they wanted to do was expand upon the services that they already
provide with their MSN Messenger, and just ported the code.

Although MSN seems to be in a little trouble with Yahoo Messenger
currently being the most popular Messenger service.

But if you really want to get Gatez going, just whisper "Cloud
Computing" in his ear.

atriage

Oct 8, 2011, 9:05:05 PM10/8/11
On 09/10/2011 01:59, Davey Crockett wrote:
> ilan a �crit profondement:

> | On Oct 8, 3:26 pm, Davey Crockett<r...@azurservers.com> wrote:
> |> Davey is looking for an alternative.
> |>
> |> http://english.ruvr.ru/2011/10/08/58364420.html
>
> | Google phone, I think it's free to USA/Canada phones from USA/Canada
> | IP addresses. Yahoo had VOIP a couple of years ago.
>
> Thanks, but my strategy is to avoid any of the Big Brother companies.
>
> It was the news that Microsoft had been cleared to buy Skype that
> prompted me to search for another carrier.

M$ already know everything about you. Your attempts to resist assimilation are
futile.