Contador: "All I Really Need to Know About Being a Good Teammate I Learned From Lance"

Ken Prager

Jul 16, 2010, 11:13:49 AM7/16/10

Vino can't be too happy right now...

Carl Sundquist

Jul 16, 2010, 12:42:56 PM7/16/10
On Jul 16, 10:13 am, Ken Prager <pra...@ieee.org> wrote:
> Vino can't be too happy right now...

Perhaps, but at least AC didn't gift the stage to Rodriguez as a slap
in the face to Vino.

Ken Prager

Jul 16, 2010, 3:26:13 PM7/16/10
In article
<f23e7330-950c-4837...@e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Carl Sundquist <carl.su...@gmail.com> wrote:

AC didn't gift the stage but instead pulled Rodriguez's sorry ass along
for 2 KM. I seriously doubt that Rodriguez would have won the stage
without the help from AC.

DirtRoadie

Jul 16, 2010, 8:45:19 PM7/16/10
On Jul 16, 9:13 am, Ken Prager <pra...@ieee.org> wrote:
> Vino can't be too happy right now...

Contador was racing (and gaining time on) Schleck, not Vino.

RicodJour

Jul 16, 2010, 9:27:49 PM7/16/10

I wasn't 100% convinced with the sprint. I only watched it the once,
but I thought at the time that they might have made an agreement
including a show sprint.

This was one of the rare times that I actually thought Contador lead
with his head. He gave Vino a polite slap down, forged an alliance,
and gained time, and he was able to do this without burning any
bridges. Chapeau.

--D-y

Jul 16, 2010, 9:31:24 PM7/16/10
On Jul 16, 2:26 pm, Ken Prager <pra...@ieee.org> wrote:
> In article
> <f23e7330-950c-4837-aae5-7bde5832a...@e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

>  Carl Sundquist <carl.sundqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 16, 10:13 am, Ken Prager <pra...@ieee.org> wrote:
> > > Vino can't be too happy right now...
>
> > Perhaps, but at least AC didn't gift the stage to Rodriguez as a slap
> > in the face to Vino.
>
> AC didn't gift the stage but instead pulled Rodriguez's sorry ass along
> for 2 KM.  I seriously doubt that Rodriguez would have won the stage
> without the help from AC.

That's how the game is played. Need time? Go get it, Señor Pistolero!
Thanks for the tow!
The "what ifs" are moot. Hey, Contador should have just dropped
Rodriguez if he wouldn't pull!

Stage win at age 31, in his first Tour, beats Contador in a sprint
after a wicked little climb that kicked everyone else's butt incl.
Vino.
There's one nailed to the wall.

As a former sometimes opportunistic and perhaps even occasionally
crafty sprinter, D-y really liked that one; I only got to see the end
of the race this time, didn't catch the earlier action yet.
Replay, please! (I'm an American)
--D-y

RicodJour

Jul 16, 2010, 10:23:55 PM7/16/10
On Jul 16, 9:31 pm, --D-y <dustoyev...@mac.com> wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2:26 pm, Ken Prager <pra...@ieee.org> wrote:
> >  Carl Sundquist <carl.sundqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Perhaps, but at least AC didn't gift the stage to Rodriguez as a slap
> > > in the face to Vino.
>
> > AC didn't gift the stage but instead pulled Rodriguez's sorry ass along
> > for 2 KM.  I seriously doubt that Rodriguez would have won the stage
> > without the help from AC.
>
> That's how the game is played. Need time? Go get it, Señor Pistolero!
> Thanks for the tow!
> The "what ifs" are moot. Hey, Contador should have just dropped
> Rodriguez if he wouldn't pull!

He wasn't worried about Rodriguez being there.

> Stage win at age 31, in his first Tour, beats Contador in a sprint
> after a wicked little climb that kicked everyone else's butt incl.
> Vino.
> There's one nailed to the wall.
>
> As a former sometimes opportunistic and perhaps even occasionally
> crafty sprinter, D-y really liked that one; I only got to see the end
> of the race this time, didn't catch the earlier action yet.
> Replay, please! (I'm an American)

I'd prefer if you didn't announce that last. I'm American, too. :)~

Davey Crockett

Jul 16, 2010, 10:43:53 PM7/16/10
RicodJour a écrit profondement:

| I'd prefer if you didn't announce that last. I'm American, too. :)~

That's OK - We'll ovelook it just this once

--
Deaths among illegal immigrants crossing the Arizona desert from Mexico
is soaring so high this month that the medical examiner's office is

Kurgan Gringioni

Jul 16, 2010, 11:57:26 PM7/16/10

"DirtRoadie" <DirtR...@aol.com> wrote in message

On Jul 16, 9:13 am, Ken Prager <pra...@ieee.org> wrote:
> Vino can't be too happy right now...

:: Contador was racing (and gaining time on) Schleck, not Vino.

Dumbass -

Vino doesn't care about Schleck.

Vino cares about Vino. Did you see his gesture as he crossed the line today?

Must be interesting at the Astana dinner table, although it's not as
publicized as last year.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Frederick the Great

Jul 17, 2010, 4:29:24 AM7/17/10
In article
<4cc13b72-b570-4e4b...@w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
--D-y <dusto...@mac.com> wrote:

I may not follow what you say.
There is no reason for Contador
to contest the sprint. That energy
will be better used elsewhere.
He was in time trial mode.

--
Old Fritz

DirtRoadie

Jul 17, 2010, 10:35:33 AM7/17/10
On Jul 16, 9:57 pm, "Kurgan Gringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "DirtRoadie" <DirtRoa...@aol.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 16, 9:13 am, Ken Prager <pra...@ieee.org> wrote:
>
> > Vino can't be too happy right now...
>
> :: Contador was racing (and gaining time on) Schleck,  not Vino.
>
> Dumbass -
>
> Vino doesn't care about Schleck.
>
> Vino cares about Vino. Did you see his gesture as he crossed the line today?
>
> Must be interesting at the Astana dinner table, although it's not as
> publicized as last year.

I'm sure Vino wanted the stage. But it's not as if Alberto should be
expected to give up a potential time gain on Schleck (or other GC
contenders) simply to accommodate Vino. Even Vino should know that.
If Schleck had hung with AC, we might have seen a different finish.
Ideally for Astana and Vino, he would have stayed with AC when caught,
and helped up the pace over the final flat. That may have even been
planned. Vino could have won the stage and AC would have gained time.
But one out of two isn't bad for them.

Vino frustrated? Sure. Angry with AC? I doubt it.

DR

DR

DirtRoadie

Jul 17, 2010, 11:17:30 PM7/17/10
On Jul 17, 8:35 am, DirtRoadie <DirtRoa...@aol.com> wrote:

> Vino frustrated? Sure. Angry with AC?  I doubt it.

“I was disappointed not to have won, sure, but I don’t blame Alberto,”
Vinokourov said about Friday’s finish.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/news/vinokourov-scores-vows-to-help-contador-win-tour-de-france_129670

DR

--D-y

Jul 17, 2010, 11:33:41 PM7/17/10
On Jul 17, 3:29 am, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article
> <4cc13b72-b570-4e4b-83a8-7e9bd0a5f...@w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,

My view was that Contador did contest the sprint, up to a point, then
let it go when he couldn't prevail.

If Contador could have taken that win, I think he sure would have done
so. But R-man stayed with him during the uphill, while Contador was
riding for time-- assuming a hard effort meant to take as much time
out of Schleck as possible. It was luck of the draw, partly, for
Rodriguez to be there, and then a big effort and unabashed sitting on
to get the V. Textbook Tour riding IMHO.
Let's put it this way: R-man was crafty enough to not give it away
after putting himself in position. Strength, smarts, and lucky. You
always must have lucky <g>.
--D-y

Michael Press

Jul 18, 2010, 3:21:19 AM7/18/10
In article
<3e50681a-e8ea-4157...@i28g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
--D-y <dusto...@mac.com> wrote:

Sounds as if you agree that Contador was in time trial mode.
He knew exactly how much energy he would expend, and drew the line.

--
Michael Press

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 18, 2010, 10:30:16 AM7/18/10
"Davey Crockett" <r...@azurservers.com> wrote in message

> RicodJour a écrit profondement:
>
> | I'd prefer if you didn't announce that last. I'm American, too. :)~
>
> That's OK - We'll ovelook it just this once

Unlike the woman at the SNCF counter in Toulouse this morning. Had to wait
in line to buy a ticket to Lourdes (couldn't use a non-chipped credit card
in the machine)... long long line, moving really really slowly. Only one
line indicated it was for English-speaking people, and the two monopolizing
that person's time were there from when I first stood in line to when I
left. So when it was my turn I went for the first one available, French, and
asked (in poor French) if she spoke English. "Non!" and she tried to shoo me
away. As if. If RBR can't scare me, she sure as heck won't. I stood my
ground, ordered my tickets in (poor) French, and within one minute the
transaction was completed and I was on my way. My goodness, it is now a
crime to even *ask* if someone speaks English? Trust me, I was just trying
to save her from my dreadful French. Seriously. :-)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 18, 2010, 10:35:17 AM7/18/10
"Michael Press" <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

I think Contador really *did* learn a lot from Lance and Bruyneel, and we're
seeing a newer, less-exciting but much-smarter rider than before. No extra
energy spent unless there's a really good reason for it (putting his stamp
on the race someplace, which he hasn't done yet... Stage 12 wasn't it...
it's still coming, somewhere). I don't think Andy's got a chance.

NoDannyNo

Jul 18, 2010, 11:21:47 AM7/18/10
On Jul 18, 10:35 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

"I don't think Andy's got a chance."

Maybe not but it doesn't look like AC can drop him in the mountains,
even with Astana (Navarro, Vino) doing all the spade-work at the
front. Granted, it will be advantage Contador in the TT but he sure
looked more uncomfortable than Andy did in today's stage.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 18, 2010, 11:46:45 AM7/18/10
================
"NoDannyNo" <riggo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

================

I think Contador's playing Andy. Maybe it's that thing where you put a frog
into a pot of water and slowly bring up the temperature, the frog getting
comfortable and lazy until it realizes, too late, that it's being cooked
alive. (An old wive's tale that apparently has no truth behind it, but it
still sounds good)

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USAstage.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jul 18, 2010, 4:51:02 PM7/18/10
On Jul 18, 4:30 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

Mike, you just have to start by attempting to buy the tickets in
poor French. They will usually either give you the tickets,
or if their English is better than your French (and sometimes
even if it is not) they'll switch to their English.

It's a matter of pride or priorities. You have to let them
appear to be making the choice of language rather than
you imposing it.

Fredmaitre Ben

A. Dumas

Jul 19, 2010, 5:52:46 AM7/19/10
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> Mike, you just have to start by attempting to buy the tickets in
> poor French. They will usually either give you the tickets,
> or if their English is better than your French (and sometimes
> even if it is not) they'll switch to their English.
>
> It's a matter of pride or priorities. You have to let them
> appear to be making the choice of language rather than
> you imposing it.

I agree. "Parlay-voo anglèh?" is a bad opening.

Betty

Jul 19, 2010, 6:30:43 AM7/19/10

A. Dumas wrote:
> I agree. "Parlay-voo anglèh?" is a bad opening.

Must be Berlin's standard chat up line in Paris. Unless he prefers
"Sprechen sie deutch dick mädchen" in Berlin.

Fred on a stick

Jul 19, 2010, 7:52:12 AM7/19/10

I concur. The proper opening is always, "Bonjour Monsieur/Madame" then
proceed in stumbling heavily accented French with occasional English
words tossed in. Besides, if you're in the Pyrenees it won't help much
even if your French is flawless -- you won't be able to understand the
locals anyway.

Perry

Jul 21, 2010, 2:54:54 PM7/21/10
We hear Lance will take up music after he retires. Or is it more
accurate to say he'll be facing the music?

Regardless, as he nears the end, maybe a lot of reflective people have
stopped
buying into Lance's concocted-by-an-agent-for-a-heartening-money-
making-miraculous "cancer cure"story.

"CANCER"+STEROIDS = $

Look you sports dupes. It doesn't take the brains of an ashtray to
deduce that if Armstrong's stage 4 bodywide cancer recovery was free
of fiction, his every physiological and cellular aspect would have
been studied and scrutinized by researchers to the Nth-degree to
determine if his recovery path could be replicated in/by other
seriously ill patients.

Of course, THAT route would have required long-term, in-depth BLOOD
exams and analyses, wouldn't it?