Steve Bauer: Tour de France has toughest anti-doping rules in sports

Jason Spaceman

Jul 12, 2011, 1:29:51 PM7/12/11
From the article:
As the 98th Tour de France enters its second week, professional
cyclists will inevitably be chastised as dopers.

But sports fans’ argument that the Tour de France is just too tough of
a race to win without doping betrays an ignorance of the prevention
measures now in place.

The Tour de France is the toughest and most demanding sporting event
in the world. This year’s route covers 3,430 kilometres in 21 stages
over mountainous terrain, about the same distance as riding between
Calgary and Toronto.

In the fight against doping, professional cycling takes a leading role
that sets the sport apart from the NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, CFL and Formula
1, with the goal of working toward clean sport.

Cycling regulates and polices the sport like no other league or sport
governing body in the world.

Read it at
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/tour-de-france-has-toughest-anti-doping-rules-in-sports/article2094076/
or http://tinyurl.com/6ddb6cc

J. Spaceman

Choppy Warburton

Jul 12, 2011, 2:17:42 PM7/12/11
On Jul 12, 12:29 pm, Jason Spaceman <jspace...@linuxquestions.net>
wrote:
> Read it athttp://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/tour-de-france-has-...
> orhttp://tinyurl.com/6ddb6cc
>
> J. Spaceman

Who the fuck knows how far it is from Calgary to Toronto? They should
have said how many hockey sticks placed end to end.

thirty-six

Jul 12, 2011, 3:32:35 PM7/12/11
On Jul 12, 6:29 pm, Jason Spaceman <jspace...@linuxquestions.net>
wrote:

> From the article:
> As the 98th Tour de France enters its second week, professional
> cyclists will inevitably be chastised as dopers.
>
> But sports fans’ argument that the Tour de France is just too tough of
> a race to win without doping betrays an ignorance of the prevention
> measures now in place.
>
> The Tour de France is the toughest and most demanding sporting event
> in the world. This year’s route covers 3,430 kilometres in 21 stages

An average ridin day of 102 miles a day the lazy so and sos. No
wonder they stick it in kms and not miles any more.

> over mountainous terrain, about the same distance as riding between
> Calgary and Toronto.
>
> In the fight against doping, professional cycling takes a leading role
> that sets the sport apart from the NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, CFL and Formula
> 1, with the goal of working toward clean sport.
>
> Cycling regulates and polices the sport like no other league or sport
> governing body in the world.

I must admit, they do have a difficult job but with the millions now
invested the professional teams will always be one step ahead.

Averaging to a hundred miles a day is probably a good thing to help
exclude the use conditioned use of pharmacological aids simply to keep
up. It's a level at which all riders should be able to recuperate
from unless they are medically unfit to ride.

Steve Freides

Jul 12, 2011, 3:39:16 PM7/12/11

It's not riding 100 miles a day, it's racing 100 miles a day - not the
same thing, IMHO.

-S-

--D-y

Jul 12, 2011, 5:34:25 PM7/12/11

People use drugs to be better at chess. IOW, distance doesn't have
anything to do with the problem of "doping". It's a problem of getting
an advantage to, first of all win (witness drug use at your local
amateur crit series) and second of all to reap the many rewards of
winning or at least showing well consistently.

This is a problem without a solution-- "exclude" means "solution".
There isn't one.
--D-y

thirty-six

Jul 12, 2011, 9:06:17 PM7/12/11

Professional racing is a team game. There is much greater advantage
to be gained by a team leader who has the full support of his team by
protecting him from the wind, pulling him back up to the pack after a
puncture, getting his food and bidons, supporting a break with the
team leader and controlling the peleton behind etc than being drugged
up enough to have an accident with a flaked out team who can barely
stand despite the drugs and are likely to time out anyway. If they
play it right, on any day half the team should be resting while the
rest support the lead rider on a team whose prime motive is GC.
Distance is important to how well the 'resting' half of the team
recovers that day for hard work the next. On flat stages, then the
support is split between GC and sprinter, the whole team will likely
contribute support to the sprinter at some point but unlikely will be
working hard for more than twenty minutes. This is not a difficult
cycling effort to recover from overnight. It's injuries which slow
general recovery, and these are (absolutely) caused by playing with
the body's blood chemistry using pharmacueticals.

Scott

Jul 12, 2011, 10:07:47 PM7/12/11
On Jul 12, 7:06 pm, thirty-six <thirty-...@live.co.uk> wrote:
> It's injuries which slow
> general recovery, and these are (absolutely) caused by playing with
> the body's blood chemistry using pharmacueticals.

Perhaps the most nonsensical statement I've read in a really long
time. So, what you're saying is the crashes don't cause injuries,
it's absolutely playing with drugs that cause injuries???

RicodJour

Jul 12, 2011, 11:43:16 PM7/12/11
On Jul 12, 10:07 pm, Scott <hendricks_sc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 7:06 pm, thirty-six <thirty-...@live.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > It's injuries which slow
> > general recovery, and these are (absolutely) caused by playing with
> > the body's blood chemistry using pharmaceuticals.

> Perhaps the most nonsensical statement I've read in a really long
> time.  So, what you're saying is the crashes don't cause injuries,
> it's absolutely playing with drugs that cause injuries???

That's the only part of that post that you found nonsensical? You
surprise me.

"If they play it right, on any day half the team should be resting
while the
rest support the lead rider on a team whose prime motive is GC. "

That didn't ring your nonsense gong? On second thought, I guess it
might make sense - loafing your way up the Tourmalet or Ventoux when
it's your day off can't really be all that hard. I mean it's their
day off and there's a riders' union, right?

Scott

Jul 13, 2011, 12:31:47 AM7/13/11

Only one thing can be the MOST nonsensical, but that doesn't mean
other things weren't pretty darned nonsensical, too. ;-)

thirty-six

Jul 13, 2011, 8:40:38 AM7/13/11

Plenty of riders will be riding just ahead of the sag wagon, in many
cases that's all that's required of them on long tough days.

thirty-six

Jul 13, 2011, 8:44:35 AM7/13/11

No, playing with body chemistry leads to accidents on the road.

NoDannyNo

Jul 13, 2011, 9:38:45 AM7/13/11

Bingo. Any fat pantload can pedal his triple-equipped, overpriced
piece of crap carpet-fiber bike 100 miles for many days in a row, even
if the routes includes a few mountains. Sure it might take him 12+
hours/day to do it but it is easily achievable and can be done without
ingesting anything more than a box of jelly donuts.

Average 100 miles a day of racing and those cocksuckers will just go
faster and destroy themselves over a shorter span of time.

Frederick the Great

Jul 13, 2011, 5:54:47 PM7/13/11
In article
<17b6b84d-4a5e-4710...@g16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>,
RicodJour <rico...@aol.com> wrote:

Perhaps my wish for a strong rider's union is
poorly thought out. Five rest days, work stoppages,
and two mandatory un jour sans.

--
Old Fritz