TDF 2010 prospective winners

harg...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2010, 4:49:06 PM6/13/10
I was a 'bit' surprised that Contador was not able to drop Janez
Brajkovic on the Alpe De Huez stage of the Dauphine-Libre. So it will
be interesting to see how and what role Janez Brajkovic plays in Team
Radio Shack if he is chosen for the TDF team.

As for Lance, his poor performance in yesterdays TT in the Tour De
Suisse is just one more sign that his career is headed downhill. The
rain is really no excuse for him to finish so far back.

K. Fred Gauss

Jun 13, 2010, 5:05:25 PM6/13/10
harg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I was a 'bit' surprised that Contador was not able to drop Janez
> Brajkovic on the Alpe De Huez stage of the Dauphine-Libre. So it will
> be interesting to see how and what role Janez Brajkovic plays in Team
> Radio Shack if he is chosen for the TDF team.

Ironically, his chances of being chosen are only 50/50:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/06/news/despite-dauphine-triumph-brajkovic-isnt-a-lock-for-tour_120934

> As for Lance, his poor performance in yesterdays TT in the Tour De
> Suisse is just one more sign that his career is headed downhill. The
> rain is really no excuse for him to finish so far back.

No, it IS an excuse.

Horst Schnellinger

Jun 13, 2010, 5:25:59 PM6/13/10
* harg...@yahoo.com <harg...@yahoo.com> [13-06-10 20:49]:

So why should he risk anything in this TT, right before the TdF?
Also did Klöden, the Schleck brothers, Gesink and others, who all came
in with over 20sec, safety first. TdS is training for the TdF-Favorites,
nothing more.

Scott

Jun 13, 2010, 5:43:20 PM6/13/10
On Jun 13, 3:25 pm, Horst Schnellinger <schnellin...@nurfuerspam.de>
wrote:
> * hargo...@yahoo.com <hargo...@yahoo.com> [13-06-10 20:49]:

> > I was a 'bit' surprised that Contador was not able to drop Janez
> > Brajkovic on the Alpe De Huez stage of the Dauphine-Libre. So it will
> > be interesting to see how and what role Janez Brajkovic  plays in Team
> > Radio Shack if he is chosen for the TDF team.
>
> > As for Lance, his poor performance in yesterdays TT in the Tour De
> > Suisse is just one more sign that his career is headed downhill. The
> > rain is really no excuse for him to finish so far back.
>
> So why should he risk anything in this TT, right before the TdF?
> Also did Kl den, the Schleck brothers, Gesink and others, who all came

> in with over 20sec, safety first. TdS is training for the TdF-Favorites,
> nothing more.

Stop talking sense, it'll just confuse him.

NoDannyNo

Jun 13, 2010, 7:19:16 PM6/13/10

Lance The Unimpeachable wins numba 8 by more than 5 minutes. There
will be a crash. Contador will DNF and Shrek will lose major time and
any semblance of form. The salt-stains on my chamois have foretold the
future and this is what they sed (and also not to order the Gulf
Shrimp platter from Sizzler any time soon).

H. Fred Kveck

Jun 13, 2010, 7:15:47 PM6/13/10
In article <f5d13909-75f1-40fb...@s1g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Scott <hendric...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Can I amend that, Scott? "Stop talking, it'll just confuse him."

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 13, 2010, 8:24:30 PM6/13/10
<harg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Is this Apri 1st? If it was, I could understand someone saying that a
guy who is focusing on the TdF should be risking life & limb to win a
prologue, accumulating a time difference over his peer so insignificant
that a time bonus (if they're giving them) in a sprint would be greater.
And if it was (April 1st), I could understand someone ignoring the fact
that older guys don't recover from busted-up bodies as easily as younger
guys.

Geez, you've even got anti-Lance guys lining up against you on this one.
Points for that I suppose.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Amit Ghosh

Jun 13, 2010, 9:37:32 PM6/13/10
On Jun 13, 8:24 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

> Is this Apri 1st? If it was, I could understand someone saying that a
> guy who is focusing on the TdF should be risking life & limb to win a
> prologue, accumulating a time difference over his peer so insignificant
> that a time bonus (if they're giving them) in a sprint would be greater.
> And if it was (April 1st), I could understand someone ignoring the fact
> that older guys don't recover from busted-up bodies as easily as younger
> guys.
>
> Geez, you've even got anti-Lance guys lining up against you on this one.
> Points for that I suppose.

dumbass,

he lost 30 secs in 7.6kms and about 40 guys finished in front of him
some of who had to ride in the rain as well and also don't want to get
injured before the tour.

Amit Ghosh

Jun 13, 2010, 9:44:49 PM6/13/10
On Jun 13, 4:49 pm, "hargo...@yahoo.com" <hargo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was a 'bit' surprised that Contador was not able to drop Janez
> Brajkovic on the Alpe De Huez stage of the Dauphine-Libre. So it will
> be interesting to see how and what role Janez Brajkovic  plays in Team
> Radio Shack if he is chosen for the TDF team.

dumbass,

i think if he really wanted to he could have. he put in one attack and
if that dropped brajkovic he would've went for the win, but when
brajkovic was able to hang on he was content to let him sit on.

if he thinks his form is coming on too fast he might want to take it
easy not not push it right now.

Anton Berlin

Jun 13, 2010, 9:51:16 PM6/13/10
also not to order the Gulf
> Shrimp platter from Sizzler any time soon).

At least they won't have to put oil in the skillet anymore.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 13, 2010, 11:14:00 PM6/13/10

==========
dumbass,

he lost 30 secs in 7.6kms and about 40 guys finished in front of him
some of who had to ride in the rain as well and also don't want to get
injured before the tour.

==========

And how many of those others still have something to prove? As in,
wanting to get selected for the 'Tour team? The Dauphine isn't just a
tune-up event for guys like Lance, it's also a selection event for those
not on the top rung of the ladder.

harg...@yahoo.com

Jun 14, 2010, 1:26:29 AM6/14/10
On Jun 13, 6:44 pm, Amit Ghosh <amit.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 13, 4:49 pm, "hargo...@yahoo.com" <hargo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I was a 'bit' surprised that Contador was not able to drop Janez
> > Brajkovic on the Alpe De Huez stage of the Dauphine-Libre. So it will
> > be interesting to see how and what role Janez Brajkovic  plays in Team
> > Radio Shack if he is chosen for the TDF team.

managed to drop Brajkovic. The wind and the braveness of the young
Slovenian blunted Contador's attacks, and so he focused on winning the
stage." (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-happy-to-add-lalpe-
dhuez-to-his-palmares ).

harg...@yahoo.com

Jun 14, 2010, 1:30:34 AM6/14/10
On Jun 13, 2:05 pm, "K. Fred Gauss" <N...@This.Planet> wrote:

> hargo...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I was a 'bit' surprised that Contador was not able to drop Janez
> > Brajkovic on the Alpe De Huez stage of the Dauphine-Libre. So it will
> > be interesting to see how and what role Janez Brajkovic  plays in Team
> > Radio Shack if he is chosen for the TDF team.
>
> Ironically, his chances of being chosen are only 50/50:http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/06/news/despite-dauphine-triumph-...

I think there is more to this than Radio Shack is revealing...? I
think Brajkovic would make a strong addition to Radio Shacks line up.

Amit Ghosh

Jun 14, 2010, 2:27:44 AM6/14/10
On Jun 13, 11:14 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

> And how many of those others still have something to prove? As in,

> wanting to get selected for the 'Tour team? The Dauphine isn't just a
> tune-up event for guys like Lance, it's also a selection event for those
> not on the top rung of the ladder.

dumbass,

we're talking about the tour de suisse (his teammate won dauphine)

i watched the video and it also appears that the roads were wet for
only the last part of the TT. it was a technical TT so if he took it
easy it was not just in the turns but in the straights and on the
climb as well.

i'm no hater, but he maybe the fifth best rider on radioshack.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jun 14, 2010, 2:40:36 AM6/14/10

==============
dumbass,

we're talking about the tour de suisse (his teammate won dauphine)

i watched the video and it also appears that the roads were wet for
only the last part of the TT. it was a technical TT so if he took it
easy it was not just in the turns but in the straights and on the
climb as well.

i'm no hater, but he maybe the fifth best rider on radioshack.

==============

Sorry, meant the Tour de Suisse. Shouldn't be typing on rbr while
watching race coverage on the TV.

If you saw Lance on the TV coverage afterward, he admitted that he has a
bad case of nerves in the rain these days, that he's not the same guy he
was a few years ago. Guess he should be playing baseball, where games
are cancelled for bad weather?

S Perryman

Jun 14, 2010, 4:37:23 AM6/14/10
harg...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I was a 'bit' surprised that Contador was not able to drop Janez
> Brajkovic on the Alpe De Huez stage of the Dauphine-Libre.

First competitive ride for over a month, was it not.

Contador is allegedly now going to be doing some 'proper' training on
the TdF Pyrenees stages. Scary enough that he wins on Alpe d'Huez with
his form as it is.

IMHO he was probably most displeased by his performance in the long TT, not
by his ride on Alpe d'Huez. He'll want his TT form much sharper than
that.

> As for Lance, his poor performance in yesterdays TT in the Tour De
> Suisse is just one more sign that his career is headed downhill. The
> rain is really no excuse for him to finish so far back.

Of all the other prospective TdF winners for 2010, Armstrong is the only
other one you have comments on ??

Regards,
Steven Perryman

A. Dumas

Jun 14, 2010, 5:16:35 AM6/14/10
Amit Ghosh wrote:
> i think if he really wanted to he could have. he put in one attack and
> if that dropped brajkovic he would've went for the win, but when
> brajkovic was able to hang on he was content to let him sit on.

Not so content that he didn't try at least 5 more times. Available for
review in 1920x1080 over at alt.binaries.multimedia.sports (named
"etappe 7").

Keith

Jun 14, 2010, 7:03:16 AM6/14/10

Brajkovic, Horner, Kloden, Leppy ?

We'll have to wait for the mountain stage on Thursday
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-6 to find
out a bit more and then the ITT on Sunday
http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-9

Hopefully he won't be DNF by then...

Horst Schnellinger

Jun 14, 2010, 9:32:07 AM6/14/10
* Scott <hendric...@hotmail.com> [13-06-10 21:43]:

I love confused dumbasses. ;-)

Brad Anders

Jun 14, 2010, 12:04:29 PM6/14/10

Sure it is. He wasn't the only one who took it easy. You don't think
he's trying to win TdS, do you?

I can't count how many times I've seen guys who were flying in
Criterium who were miles OTB in the TdF. I suspect Contador will be a
different guy next month.

Brad Anders

Frederick the Great

Jun 14, 2010, 2:41:53 PM6/14/10
In article
"harg...@yahoo.com" <harg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was a 'bit' surprised that Contador was not able to drop

It is a training ride.

> Janez
> Brajkovic on the Alpe De Huez stage of the Dauphine-Libre. So it will
> be interesting to see how and what role Janez Brajkovic plays in Team
> Radio Shack if he is chosen for the TDF team.
>
> As for Lance, his poor performance in yesterdays TT in the Tour De
> Suisse is just one more sign that his career is headed downhill. The
> rain is really no excuse for him to finish so far back.

We mortals have no inkling into the ways of LANCE.

--
Old Fritz

harg...@yahoo.com

Jun 14, 2010, 2:54:48 PM6/14/10
On Jun 14, 9:04 am, Brad Anders <pband...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 13, 1:49 pm, "hargo...@yahoo.com" <hargo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I was a 'bit' surprised that Contador was not able to drop Janez
> > Brajkovic on the Alpe De Huez stage of the Dauphine-Libre. So it will
> > be interesting to see how and what role Janez Brajkovic  plays in Team
> > Radio Shack if he is chosen for the TDF team.
>
> > As for Lance, his poor performance in yesterdays TT in the Tour De
> > Suisse is just one more sign that his career is headed downhill. The
> > rain is really no excuse for him to finish so far back.

For a rider like Lance finishing in 40th place in a TT is more than
taking it easy. No I doubt that Lance wants to win the TdS.

Scott

Jun 14, 2010, 7:28:17 PM6/14/10

If it were a longer TT where the time gaps between 1st and 40th was
somewhere on the order of 4 or 5 minutes, I'd be inclined to accept
your point. For a short, prologue-ish TT of less than 8km, given that
he's only 29 seconds back in a race he's not specifically trying to
win, I'm not inclined to agree with your point at all. LA's results
in the 'stage 1' TT mean nothing.

Keith

Jun 14, 2010, 7:33:12 PM6/14/10

>> > Sure it is. He wasn't the only one who took it easy. You don't think
>> > he's trying to win TdS, do you?
>>
>> > I can't count how many times I've seen guys who were flying in
>> > Criterium who were miles OTB in the TdF. I suspect Contador will be a
>> > different guy next month.
>>
>> > Brad Anders
>
>If it were a longer TT where the time gaps between 1st and 40th was
>somewhere on the order of 4 or 5 minutes, I'd be inclined to accept
>your point. For a short, prologue-ish TT of less than 8km, given that
>he's only 29 seconds back in a race he's not specifically trying to
>win, I'm not inclined to agree with your point at all. LA's results
>in the 'stage 1' TT mean nothing.

Correct, let's see what happens on Thursday
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-6 ) and
Sunday (http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-9) -
assuming he hasn't fallen off his bike again or that his brake hasn't
started rubbing...or whatever the next excuse happens to be...

K. Fred Gauss

Jun 14, 2010, 8:29:20 PM6/14/10
harg...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2:05 pm, "K. Fred Gauss" <N...@This.Planet> wrote:
>> hargo...@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> I was a 'bit' surprised that Contador was not able to drop Janez
>>> Brajkovic on the Alpe De Huez stage of the Dauphine-Libre. So it will
>>> be interesting to see how and what role Janez Brajkovic plays in Team
>>> Radio Shack if he is chosen for the TDF team.
>> Ironically, his chances of being chosen are only 50/50:http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/06/news/despite-dauphine-triumph-...
>>
> I think there is more to this than Radio Shack is revealing...? I
> think Brajkovic would make a strong addition to Radio Shacks line up.

I'm tempted to agree with you, but I wont. Partially, that's because I'm
an argumentative fuckwad. The other part is because I remember Iban
Mayo winning Dauphine Libere and being considered a threat to win the
TdF. He finished 160th or so.

harg...@yahoo.com

Jun 16, 2010, 5:09:47 AM6/16/10
On Jun 14, 5:29 pm, "K. Fred Gauss" <N...@This.Planet> wrote:
> hargo...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >> Ironically, his chances of being chosen are only 50/50:http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/06/news/despite-dauphine-triumph-...
>
> > I think there is more to this than Radio Shack is revealing...? I
> > think Brajkovic would make a strong addition to Radio Shacks line up.

A DL or TdS win is certainly not a guarantee of a victory in the TDF.
But it does give some indication of a riders form.

Brad Anders

Jun 17, 2010, 1:04:22 PM6/17/10
On Jun 14, 4:33 pm, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> >If it were a longer TT where the time gaps between 1st and 40th was
> >somewhere on the order of 4 or 5 minutes, I'd be inclined to accept
> >your point.  For a short, prologue-ish TT of less than 8km, given that
> >he's only 29 seconds back in a race he's not specifically trying to
> >win, I'm not inclined to agree with your point at all.  LA's results
> >in the 'stage 1' TT mean nothing.
>
> Correct, let's see what happens on Thursday
> (http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-6) and

> Sunday (http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-9) -
> assuming he hasn't fallen off his bike again or that his brake hasn't
> started rubbing...or whatever the next excuse happens to be...

Well, it's Thursday, and LA got 5th on the stage and dropped Andy
Schleck and Leipheimer on the climb. Looked pretty damn good, like
he's coming into stronger form.

You've complained about LA's excuses, what's your rationalization for
him doing better than you predicted this time?

Brad Anders

RicodJour

Jun 17, 2010, 1:19:56 PM6/17/10
On Jun 17, 1:04 pm, Brad Anders <pband...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >If it were a longer TT where the time gaps between 1st and 40th was
> > >somewhere on the order of 4 or 5 minutes, I'd be inclined to accept
> > >your point.  For a short, prologue-ish TT of less than 8km, given that
> > >he's only 29 seconds back in a race he's not specifically trying to
> > >win, I'm not inclined to agree with your point at all.  LA's results
> > >in the 'stage 1' TT mean nothing.
>
> > Correct, let's see what happens on Thursday
> > (http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-6) and
> > Sunday (http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-9) -
> > assuming he hasn't fallen off his bike again or that his brake hasn't
> > started rubbing...or whatever the next excuse happens to be...
>
> Well, it's Thursday, and LA got 5th on the stage and dropped Andy
> Schleck and Leipheimer on the climb. Looked pretty damn good, like
> he's coming into stronger form.
>
> You've complained about LA's excuses, what's your rationalization for
> him doing better than you predicted this time?

Oooh! Oooh! Me! I know - he's doping!

I'm referring to Keith.

Brad Anders

Jun 17, 2010, 2:09:12 PM6/17/10

Thanks for the channeling!

I'm not a big fan of LA, I just don't think the piling-on is
justified. For a guy his age who burns the candle at both ends and in
the middle, I think he's doing surprisingly well on the bike. If
anyone wants to pick on someone, how about the guys who finished
behind him today?

Brad Anders

Amit Ghosh

Jun 18, 2010, 6:10:37 PM6/18/10
On Jun 14, 7:03 am, Keith <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> Brajkovic, Horner, Kloden, Leppy ?
>

> We'll have to wait for the mountain stage on Thursdayhttp://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-6to find
> out a bit more and then the ITT on Sundayhttp://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-9

> Hopefully he won't be DNF by then...

dumbass,

i think any of those guys can be better on a given day. armstrong will
do okay in the tour, because he is robust and has good day to day
recovery.

kloden and leipheimer can do well if they don't get sick injured -
both are historically more fragile than armstrong.

harg...@yahoo.com

Jun 20, 2010, 3:25:14 PM6/20/10
Lance's 2nd overall finish in the Tour De Suisse is somewhat
impressive. But finishing 1:07 back in the TT still raises a lot of
questions.

On Jun 14, 11:41 am, Frederick the Great <los...@the.movies> wrote:
> In article
> <3b7daad5-5f95-4084-881d-cba2525d6...@t14g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,

Keith

Jun 20, 2010, 4:42:25 PM6/20/10
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:25:14 -0700 (PDT), "harg...@yahoo.com"
<harg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Lance's 2nd overall finish in the Tour De Suisse is somewhat
>impressive. But finishing 1:07 back in the TT still raises a lot of
>questions.

Fortunately for him the TdF ITT is right at the end, when it's a
strong's man race, unlike when it's placed at the beginning or in the
middle. Losing 1 minute to Levi or Kloden or Brajkovic (if he's
there) could have been a bit of a problem...

harg...@yahoo.com

Jun 21, 2010, 12:59:18 PM6/21/10
I think that Lance's real weakness is his current climbing abilities.
If Lance hopes to beat Contador then Lance must be able to climb and
TT exceptionally well. Alberto has already shown that he can win the
TDF with a average team.

Lance Armstrong plays down Tour de France chances
(http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/06/news/lance-armstrong-plays-
down-tour-de-france-chances_122213 )
“The the last few years my time trials have been disappointing,”

“That’s one fortunate thing (in the 2010 Tour): there’s only one time
trial.”

Armstrong pleased with second in the Tour de Suisse
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-pleased-with-second-in-the-
tour-de-suisse )

> > As for Lance, his poor performance in yesterdays TT in the Tour De
> > Suisse is just one more sign that his career is headed downhill. The
> > rain is really no excuse for him to finish so far back.

H. Fred Kveck

Jun 21, 2010, 9:13:41 PM6/21/10
In article <0cd7113e-64fa-4295...@g1g2000pro.googlegroups.com>,
"harg...@yahoo.com" <harg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think that Lance's real weakness is his current climbing abilities.
> If Lance hopes to beat Contador then Lance must be able to climb and
> TT exceptionally well.

Do tell, oh king of belaboring the obvious.