Irony: the final frontier

Betty Munro

May 20, 2010, 7:41:35 AM5/20/10

Fred Flintstein

May 20, 2010, 9:18:06 AM5/20/10
On 5/20/2010 6:41 AM, Betty Munro wrote:

> <http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/05/17/1541236/Software-Recognizes-Sarcastic-Tweets>

Everybody has competition.

Fred Flintstein

cur...@the-md-russells.org

May 20, 2010, 11:49:36 AM5/20/10

Betty's right. <Yawn> Get back to me when it does irony. It'll be on a
Mac and the headline will read, "Software does irony, but won't do
windows..."

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Frederick the Great

May 20, 2010, 4:49:22 PM5/20/10
In article <fojfc7-...@donald.homeip.net>,
Betty Munro <no...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> <http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/05/17/1541236/Software-Recognizes-Sarcastic-Tweets>

<http://www.sarcasmsociety.com/sarcasm/howtobesarcastic/lessontwo>

In order to be able to recognize sarcasm, you will need
to hear a lot of sarcastic comments, and to pay close
attention to the nuances that make an otherwise simple
comment into a sarcastic sting. To do this, you will
need regular access to one person who is a natural at
being sarcastic. The easiest place to start would be
the people you already know. Although it is unlikely
that you will have a friend or acquaintance who is
clever enough to be sarcastic -- being that you are not
sarcastic yourself*--it is still worth evaluating your
friends.

---
*As previously discussed, though you may not be
dim-witted, it is highly likely that you do not have
the requisite intelligence, wit, or cleverness to
attract members of the intelligentsia as friends or
acquaintances.

--
Old Fritz

Frederick the Great

May 20, 2010, 5:00:35 PM5/20/10
In article <ucmav5puf5nhjt3pl...@4ax.com>,
cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 2010 08:18:06 -0500, Fred Flintstein
> <bob.sc...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >On 5/20/2010 6:41 AM, Betty Munro wrote:
> >>
> >> <http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/05/17/1541236/Software-Recognizes-Sarcastic-Tweets>
> >>

> >Everybody has competition.
> >
> >Fred Flintstein
>
> Betty's right. <Yawn> Get back to me when it does irony. It'll be on a
> Mac and the headline will read, "Software does irony, but won't do
> windows..."

Wellll, a sarcastic remark is typically ironic to hide
the scorn from its object(s), while amusing the other
audience.

--
Old Fritz

cur...@the-md-russells.org

May 21, 2010, 6:55:25 AM5/21/10

I think you may be being sarcastic here, but I'm not sure...

Michael Press

May 21, 2010, 11:52:15 AM5/21/10
In article <1kpcv55t6ubtqqe3r...@4ax.com>,
cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 2010 14:00:35 -0700, Frederick the Great
> <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> >In article <ucmav5puf5nhjt3pl...@4ax.com>,
> > cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:

> >> Betty's right. <Yawn> Get back to me when it does irony. It'll be on a
> >> Mac and the headline will read, "Software does irony, but won't do
> >> windows..."
> >
> >Wellll, a sarcastic remark is typically ironic to hide
> >the scorn from its object(s), while amusing the other
> >audience.
>
> I think you may be being sarcastic here, but I'm not sure...

Good. I see you are studying and practicing the lessons
developed by the Sarcasm Society. Alas, you are attempting
lesson 2 without having mastered lesson 1: What is Sarcasm?
It is essential memorize the definition.

Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from
Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from
sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer,
from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan
thwar&s- to cut

1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance
designed to cut or give pain

2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect
on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is
usually directed against an individual b : the use or
language of sarcasm (this is no time to indulge in
sarcasm)

--
Michael Press