John Howard Today

Mr. Slate

Aug 25, 2010, 2:40:41 PM8/25/10

BLafferty

Aug 25, 2010, 3:06:15 PM8/25/10
On 8/25/2010 2:40 PM, Mr. Slate wrote:
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/interviews/howard-now.jpg

Great cyclist and a real gentleman. I helped pace him to his record in
the Pepsi 24 Hour Challenge in NYC's Central Park when Lenny Preheim
arranged for him to do the ride with support from Toga. He's aging well.

Choppy Warburton

Aug 25, 2010, 3:11:42 PM8/25/10

He looks like a human Q tip

Fred Flintstein

Aug 25, 2010, 3:22:59 PM8/25/10

Looks like he ground the lawyer lips off his fork.

An interesting interview. He's still bitter over getting cut
from the national team after 10 years of not taking the next
step. I think time has shown that Eddy B was correct in
clearing out guys like Howard.

Fred Flintstein

Kurgan Gringioni

Aug 25, 2010, 3:26:31 PM8/25/10

"BLafferty" <Br...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Dumbass -

His body is doing great. His skin is wrinkled beyond his years.

Wind, sun and genetics.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Fred Flintstein

Aug 25, 2010, 3:29:38 PM8/25/10

Dumbass,

I thought you didn't care for people that lied under oath.

Fred Flintstein

Mr. Slate

Aug 25, 2010, 3:36:56 PM8/25/10

I watched him race in a number of races when I was a kid. That guy was so
easy to recognize, he really stood out.

Mr. Slate

Aug 25, 2010, 5:11:39 PM8/25/10

I was talking to a friend the other day who got 2nd in the World
Championships back in the 80's. She said that when Eddy B's house burned
down, she was invited to a Greg Lemond Olympian fundraiser. She couldn't
make it for some personal reasons, but she was sent a video of it in which
she saw some old fat bald guy and couldn't figure out who it was. Then she
realized, oh my! It's Greg Lemond! She said he looked bloody horrible!

rick-...@uiowa.edu

Aug 25, 2010, 5:18:35 PM8/25/10
> I was talking to a friend the other day who got 2nd in the World
> Championships back in the 80's. She said that when Eddy B's house burned
> down, she was invited to a Greg Lemond Olympian fundraiser. She couldn't
> make it for some personal reasons, but she was sent a video of it in which
> she saw some old fat bald guy and couldn't figure out who it was. Then she
> realized, oh my! It's Greg Lemond! She said he looked bloody horrible!

What's that got to do with John Howard?

almos...@yahoo.com

Aug 25, 2010, 6:48:37 PM8/25/10
On Aug 25, 3:22 pm, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
wrote:

> On 8/25/2010 1:40 PM, Mr. Slate wrote:
>
> >http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/interviews/howard-now.jpg
>
> Looks like he ground the lawyer lips off his fork.
> Fred Flintstein

Dumbass,

That was awesome.

Superfly TNT

Aug 25, 2010, 10:54:47 PM8/25/10
On Aug 25, 11:40 am, "Mr. Slate" <LikeFl...@NoSpammers.com> wrote:
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/interviews/howard-now.jpg

.
.
.
Judging by that bike, the dude must be 7-feet tall.
.
.
.

Brad Anders

Aug 25, 2010, 11:26:17 PM8/25/10

He's like Jobst.

William Fred

Aug 26, 2010, 2:21:21 AM8/26/10
"rick-...@uiowa.edu" <rick-...@uiowa.edu> wrote in

Well nothing, but if you want people to like you here, you have to dump
on Greg Lemond.

He's such a pussy.

--
Bill Fred

Frederick the Great

Aug 26, 2010, 2:28:43 AM8/26/10
In article <DL6dnQdx9a83_ujR...@sti.net>,
"Mr. Slate" <Like...@NoSpammers.com> wrote:

> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/interviews/howard-now.jpg

Sometimes it is better to retire at the top.

--
Old Fritz

Fred on a stick

Aug 26, 2010, 8:58:58 AM8/26/10
On 8/25/2010 8:26 PM, Brad Anders wrote:

>> Judging by that bike, the dude must be 7-feet tall.
>
> He's like Jobst.

Bitter and dismissive?

--D-y

Aug 26, 2010, 9:29:57 AM8/26/10
On Aug 25, 2:29 pm, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
wrote:

On the other hand, maybe he did have a QR loosen.
I have seen someone lose a front wheel; guessing by using the flipper
backwards or something. Jr. racer, big-time little-league dad who
didn't know how to put a wheel in. One face the lawyer lips might have
"saved", and that's not the only wheel I've seen (incl. rears, of
course) where the QR was a mystery to the operator thereof.

Scuse me while I stick up for one of my early heroes, long before I
adopted Texas.
--D-y

BLafferty

Aug 26, 2010, 9:43:58 AM8/26/10
On 8/26/2010 9:29 AM, --D-y wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2:29 pm, Fred Flintstein<bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
> wrote:

>>> Great cyclist and a real gentleman. I helped pace him to his record in
>>> the Pepsi 24 Hour Challenge in NYC's Central Park when Lenny Preheim
>>> arranged for him to do the ride with support from Toga. He's aging well.
>>
>> Dumbass,
>>
>> I thought you didn't care for people that lied under oath.
>
> On the other hand, maybe he did have a QR loosen.
> I have seen someone lose a front wheel; guessing by using the flipper
> backwards or something. Jr. racer, big-time little-league dad
> didn't know how to put a wheel in. One face the lawyer lips might have
> "saved", and that's not the only wheel I've seen(incl. rears, of

> course) where the QR was a mystery to the operator thereof.
>
> Scuse me while I stick up for one of my early heroes, long before I
> adopted Texas.
> --D-y
Back in the late 1990s I was riding with a guy out of Fairhope, AL.
Unknown to me his front quick release wasn't working so he just
tightened it by screwing it down. While riding next to him, his front
wheel came out, the fork went straight down into the pavement and acted
like the fulcrum of a catapult. Amazing crash. He survived. Helmet was
in many pieces and they thought he had a bleed on his brain. Turned out
he didn't.

Fred Flintstein

Aug 26, 2010, 10:08:23 AM8/26/10
On 8/26/2010 8:29 AM, --D-y wrote:

> Scuse me while I stick up for one of my early heroes, long before I
> adopted Texas.

You need better heroes than some guy that will make shit up for an
expert witness fee. I mean, really!!

Fred Flintstein

--D-y

Aug 26, 2010, 12:16:48 PM8/26/10

Wow. Here I am wondering how someone could mis-use a QR, and the
answer is pretty simple-- "just don't use it at all".
I mean, I've seen them break from over-tightening, but there's a "pow"
sort of like a spoke breaking only (no surprise), like a really heavy-
gauge spoke. There apparently is enough of a delay between tightening
and breaking in at least some cases that the bike could be rolling
with rider on board for the moment. I didn't hear such a noise when
the kid's wheel flew out. Possible I was standing close but not close
enough to hear the pow. And like I said, I've seen some kind of
flipper that had limited action when flipped backwards, and I might
have even seen a wheel or two "done up" that way back in the murky
past; I'm not sure any known QR would have any degree of "hold" when
run backwards, like to the point where it wouldn't just flop open.

Dang, never would have occurred to me to just try to use the screw
end. But I bet that has happened a lot, and the lawyer lips have saved
faces and brains (usually where you land I think when the front wheel
disappears beneath you).

Thanks. Mystery "solved" or close enough via plausible explanation.
--D-y

--D-y

Aug 26, 2010, 12:24:48 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 9:08 am, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
wrote:

Well, I tried John Wayne and Abraham Lincoln and Dwight David
Eisenhower and some other guys, too, but it turned out they all had
feet of clay, so to speak.

Suggestions?

I know Howard's testimony came before the advent of disc brakes and
the problems disc users have had with loosening QR's, but I guess I
could ask: are there in fact instances of skewers coming loose?

I'd have to see the testimony, and maybe even know the thought
process-- was Howard referring to improperly manipulated skewers? Any
citation or reference to that, including maybe an interview not
totally loaded with softballs?
--D-y

Fred Flintstein

Aug 26, 2010, 2:53:34 PM8/26/10

He claimed that properly tightened quick releases vibrate loose.
There is a thread on the lawsuit here where he comes up:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/ce2801f758b5855c/574afabeda7d4c94#574afabeda7d4c94

Jobst gives his opinion here:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/a1f1a8dcf2affa0c

When I turn on the bench grinder I visualize using it to scrape the
brillo hair from his head.

Fred Flintstein

--D-y

Aug 26, 2010, 5:35:06 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 1:53 pm, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>

wrote:
> On 8/26/2010 11:24 AM, --D-y wrote:
>

> > On Aug 26, 9:08 am, Fred Flintstein<bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
> > wrote:

> >> You need better heroes than some guy that will make shit up for an
> >> expert witness fee. I mean, really!!
>
> > Well, I tried John Wayne and Abraham Lincoln and Dwight David
> > Eisenhower and some other guys, too, but it turned out they all had
> > feet of clay, so to speak.
>
> > Suggestions?
>
> > I know Howard's testimony came before the advent of disc brakes and
> > the problems disc users have had with loosening QR's, but I guess I
> > could ask: are there in fact instances of skewers coming loose?
>
> > I'd have to see the testimony, and maybe even know the thought
> > process-- was Howard referring to improperly manipulated skewers? Any
> > citation or reference to that, including maybe an interview not
> > totally loaded with softballs?
> > --D-y
>
> He claimed that properly tightened quick releases vibrate loose.
> There is a thread on the lawsuit here where he comes up:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/ce...

> Jobst gives his opinion here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/a1f1a8dcf2affa0c
>
> When I turn on the bench grinder I visualize using it to scrape the
> brillo hair from his head.

OK, I saw the stuff (again, Howard has been um, skewered here
previously).

Maybe he did have one or more skewers loosen. Or maybe he lied like a
sack of shit for a payday.
I'm not going on hearsay.

Was Jobst there? Last time, is my memory totally failing me, or did
Jobst not admit that lawyer lips have saved faces and brains?

I have them on one bike; PITA. Haven't wanted to file or grind them
off. I memorized how many turns it takes to clear the lips and then
the same to put the skewer back to correct tightening position. No
outrage yet, here. Maybe I should try a little harder?

Ah well, feet of clay, feet of clay. Move along, nothing to see
here...
--D-y

Uncle Dave

Aug 26, 2010, 5:43:35 PM8/26/10
On Aug 25, 7:40 pm, "Mr. Slate" <LikeFl...@NoSpammers.com> wrote:
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/interviews/howard-now.jpg

Strewth, he's taken some weight off since he was Prime Minister hasn't
he? Aged a bit too. Still, good on him, though I would have thought
he might have gone back to cricket rather than cycling. Bit too
strenuous do you think?

UD

BLafferty

Aug 26, 2010, 6:00:16 PM8/26/10
I had no idea he had done that. I was just lucky to not be behind him
at the moment it happened.

Mr. Slate

Aug 26, 2010, 7:00:25 PM8/26/10

Uncle UK,

I was wondering?

Does the Beeb come to your house and take away your TV if you don't pay your
Beeb bill?

--D-y

Aug 26, 2010, 11:18:09 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 5:00 pm, BLafferty <Br...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> >> Back in the late 1990s I was riding with a guy out of Fairhope, AL.
> >> Unknown to me his front quick release wasn't working so he just
> >> tightened it by screwing it down.  While riding next to him, his front
> >> wheel came out, the fork went straight down into the pavement and acted
> >> like the fulcrum of a catapult.  Amazing crash.  He survived. Helmet was
> >> in many pieces and they thought he had a bleed on his brain.  Turned out
> >> he didn't.

(trimming)

> I had no idea he had done that.  I was just lucky to not be behind him
> at the moment it happened.

Oh the Humanity! I don't think the kid I saw fall was severely injured
but he was messy. Yup, fork plant first... I think he got leaned over
sideways enough on the way down to avoid being pile-driven into the
pavement.

Nice work, dad. This was Midwest/Chicago ca. '82; there was something
of a circuit and I don't thing the dad and kid lasted too long after
that. Good deal for the kid; maybe he got (forced) into another sport
where dad's fingers weren't directly in the pie.
--D-y

Brad Anders

Aug 27, 2010, 12:37:26 AM8/27/10
On Aug 26, 5:58 am, Fred on a stick <anonymous.cow...@address.invalid>
wrote:

You ever ridden with him? It's like riding with a verbal Wikipedia. He
should write a book on the history of the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Brad Anders

Fred Flintstein

Aug 27, 2010, 9:51:06 AM8/27/10
On 8/26/2010 4:35 PM, --D-y wrote:

> Maybe he did have one or more skewers loosen. Or maybe he lied like a
> sack of shit for a payday.
> I'm not going on hearsay.

Properly fastened quick releases don't vibrate loose. Tullio invented
them in the 1930s. If this were a problem you would think it would
have surfaced at some point before John Howard was paid money in 1995
to testify under oath that it was so.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Fred Flintstein

BLafferty

Aug 27, 2010, 10:53:27 AM8/27/10

I looked back as he went over and the cleats held him in long enough
that he couldn't roll and did a combo arms/head/face plant. Very
ugly.EMS took him away in the neck brace thing. No broken bones which
was surprising. Concussion, road rash and lacerations to his face.
Butt ugly guy for a few weeks.

BLafferty

Aug 27, 2010, 10:54:34 AM8/27/10
And he's an absolute gentleman.

--D-y

Aug 27, 2010, 10:56:17 AM8/27/10
On Aug 27, 8:51 am, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
wrote:

By "hearsay", I mean I haven't see the testimony.
And I don't get that Howard's testimony alone brought us lawyer lips.

How about some elucidation instead of JFC bombs?
--D-y

Fred Flintstein

Aug 27, 2010, 11:30:14 AM8/27/10

Jobst, starting Aug 24th

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/c442099c2aaf06da/5b6961f110f61a06

Also here:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/msg/6ccb571fd152941b

If by "hearsay" you mean you expect me to fish out legal documents
so you can see the exact verbiage then you are more than welcome
to leave the heroes of your youth unsullied. Just don't bitch to
me when you find out that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

Fred Flintstein

Frederick the Great

Aug 27, 2010, 1:28:05 PM8/27/10
In article <PvWdncP0kp1WX-rR...@giganews.com>,
Fred Flintstein <bob.sc...@sbcremoveglobal.net> wrote:

When a disc brake caliper is mounted on and aft of a
front fork blade, the reaction force at the the dropout
from braking acts to move the axle downward. The
reaction force combined with the shocks of a rough
trail descent will loosen the quick release nut. When
this started happening, all quick release mechanisms
got tarred with the same brush.

Another reason quick release mechanisms came into
disrepute was the introduction of shoddy open cam quick
release mechanisms. They typically need more hand force
to generate sufficient clamping force, enough to make
it likely that people will not tighten them enough. The
cam being open to the elements, grit quickly gets in
and increase friction at the cam.

--
Old Fritz

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Aug 27, 2010, 2:50:10 PM8/27/10
On Aug 27, 10:28 am, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article <PvWdncP0kp1WX-rRnZ2dnUVZ_jCdn...@giganews.com>,

The John Howard testimony Flintstein is upset
about happened well before disc brakes were common
bicycles, and certainly well before people noticed
that disc brakes can eject front wheels. Don't give
Howard excuses.

I don't know whether Howard knew what he was saying
was BS or just did bad engineering to support it,
but it's BS either way. There is no need to defend it.
A person can do great things and be mine or D-y's youthful
hero and all that and then turn out to be a meathead
in their own or some other field. It happens, might
as well get used to it.

Open cam skewers don't vibrate loose either. They
can have a tendency to pull forward if you use them
in a horizontal rear dropout and they don't have
serrations on the clamping face of the locknut. So for
example they are not good for using on singlespeeds
and fixed gear bikes. This is an inconvenience rather
than a hazard - the wheel doesn't fall out. Again this
has nothing to do with the fallaciousness of the
Howard testimony.

Fredmaster Ben

Mr. Slate

Aug 27, 2010, 3:31:27 PM8/27/10
Fred Flintstein wrote:
> On 8/26/2010 4:35 PM, --D-y wrote:
> Properly fastened quick releases don't vibrate loose.

> Fred Flintstein

That's always been my experience. I have never had one come loose in 30
years, and I have been on tons of fire roads that beat the living daylights
out of you.

Frederick the Great

Aug 27, 2010, 4:18:29 PM8/27/10
In article
<5a7d7bc2-d89c-415c...@j18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

I am entirely ignorant of that matter;
simply putting in an oar.
I had hoped that the tone of my remarks
imply my bias is toward the utter
reliability of quick release mechanisms.

--
Old Fritz

Uncle Dave

Aug 27, 2010, 5:08:19 PM8/27/10

Yes. And they make you watch American TV instead which is why
everyone pays their licence fee without question...

UD

--D-y

Aug 27, 2010, 5:12:15 PM8/27/10
On Aug 27, 10:30 am, Fred Flintstein

<bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net> wrote:
> On 8/27/2010 9:56 AM, --D-y wrote:
>

> > On Aug 27, 8:51 am, Fred Flintstein<bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
> > wrote:

> >> Properly fastened quick releases don't vibrate loose. Tullio invented
> >> them in the 1930s. If this were a problem you would think it would
> >> have surfaced at some point before John Howard was paid money in 1995
> >> to testify under oath that it was so.
>
> >> Jesus Fucking Christ.
>
> >> Fred Flintstein
>
> > By "hearsay", I mean I haven't see the testimony.
> > And I don't get that Howard's testimony alone brought us lawyer lips.
>
> > How about some elucidation instead of JFC bombs?
> > --D-y
>
> Jobst, starting Aug 24th
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/c4...

> Also here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/msg/6ccb571fd152941b
>
> If by "hearsay" you mean you expect me to fish out legal documents
> so you can see the exact verbiage then you are more than welcome
> to leave the heroes of your youth unsullied. Just don't bitch to
> me when you find out that Santa Claus doesn't exist.
>
> Fred Flintstein

Dude. Jobst is not my Leader.
I read one post with the stock "can't get good rims anymore" complaint
and stopped. I saw one quote, earlier, after digging through, that for
one thing did not state that JB was present in person to hear Howard
testify.

Didn't I say something about feet of clay here? And one thing you
could do is show how John Howard, all by his lonesome, caused lawyer
lips to be imposed on us poor cyclists.
And not by a garbage can full of old posts for me to wade through,
please. OK? I mean, hearsay is a great scapegoating tool.

Didn't the older kids teach you about Santa Claus by the time you were
six or seven at the latest, just to be mean and pick on you, like
everyone else, FF?

--D-y

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Aug 27, 2010, 5:41:38 PM8/27/10

FFS quit trying to defend the indefensible. There is
plenty of documentation, and Jobst, though he comes
off high-handed, is often correct. For example, here's
press coverage from the very lawyer who won the case:

http://www.markwebb.com/million.htm

Look, it's okay if you like John Howard. He doesn't have
to be perfect or a saint for you to like him, most people
aren't saints. But repeatedly pretending that he might
not have done something that he did do, in public, just
makes it look like hero-worship is more important
than accuracy.

Fredmaster Ben

Fred Flintstein

Aug 27, 2010, 5:56:38 PM8/27/10

I never said he did that all by his lonesome. What I said
was he lied under oath for money. Jesus Fucking Christ!

And I'm not your google bitch either. Certainly not at the
standard of proof you are asking for. Maybe Laff can help
you out.

Google will show you a direct quote from Howard on his
testimony in the lawsuit. Don't ask me to wipe your ass
for you the next time you take a dump.

Fred Flintstein

--D-y

Aug 27, 2010, 7:15:31 PM8/27/10

Here's what I saw from your link:
<Fiorito's attorneys also called world-famous bicycle racer John
Howard to the stand. He testified that he had once been injured when
his quick-release mechanism failed and the front wheel popped off his
bike.>

No, no hero worship. I might be favorably disposed, although I don't
"like" John Howard in the sense that I know him or even know much
about him.
Let's see, I was standing next to someone who does (or did) apparently
know him to some degree, judging by Howard's response when hailed as
he was walking away.

You and JFC. I'm not much a respecter of persons and it's "accuracy" I
want, meaning "what exactly did John Howard say".

I did notice that "lawyer lips" predate the Howard testimony (from
your link, above):

<Webb argued in court that the front wheel on Fiorito's Mongoose
bicycle had come loose during a two-hour ride on Jan. 23, 1993, and
fallen off because the quick-release device designed to secure the
wheel to the fork didn't have safety devices incorporated in many
bicycles since 1989.>

My memory is fuzzy on the point but I seem to remember seeing locking
devices on front forks well before that-- some kind of "department
store" special that had some sort of sheet metal clips in amongst the
QR pieces.

Let's have some accuracy here before erecting a statue of John Howard
holding a lawyer-lips equipped fork aloft, OK?
IOW, the testimony is one thing, the "it's all his fault" business is
scapegoating. Or are you going to tell me that was the only QR failure
lawsuit, ever?
--D-y

Beloved Fred No. 1

Aug 28, 2010, 5:40:22 AM8/28/10

Uncle Dave wrote:
> Yes. And they make you watch American TV instead which is why
> everyone pays their licence fee without question...

They could always force you to watch Eastenders instead if they run out
of American TV.

Uncle Dave

Aug 28, 2010, 12:05:34 PM8/28/10

Please God no! Actually, there are sometimes some decent American
programmes these days, mostly starring Brits ;-)

UD

Mr. Slate

Aug 28, 2010, 3:32:19 PM8/28/10

British Invasion days were better. You don't see that kind of music anymore.

--D-y

Aug 28, 2010, 6:47:56 PM8/28/10

Au contraire, it's still around big time.
I have a teen daughter who is a Beatles freak, not an uncommon thing
in her age group. The Stones played Austin a couple of summers ago.
Cream did a series of reunion concerts a few years ago, and so forth.
If more of the players had survived, they'd be touring and finding
audiences.
--D-y