Latest on Jobst not so good

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jan 19, 2011, 12:34:27 PM1/19/11
Heard from someone closer to Jobst than I that he is "slipping." He was
accepting visitors the first couple of days but presently isn't
recognizing people and apparently has a tough time with his own
memories. There must be a lot more to this than broken ribs and femur.
This is all 3rd-hand info by the time I got it this morning; we're
seeing what we can run down.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Art Harris

Jan 19, 2011, 12:52:45 PM1/19/11
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
> Heard from someone closer to Jobst than I that he is "slipping." He was
> accepting visitors the first couple of days but presently isn't
> recognizing people and apparently has a tough time with his own
> memories. There must be a lot more to this than broken ribs and femur.
> This is all 3rd-hand info by the time I got it this morning; we're
> seeing what we can run down.

That's not very encouraging. But sometimes being in a hospital
environment can be disorienting (especially if on strong meds). I hope
he starts to improve.

Thanks for the info, and please keep us posted.

Art Harris

BLafferty

Jan 19, 2011, 2:04:03 PM1/19/11

This often happens with older patients in a hospital setting. It's
sometimes referred to as hospital psychosis. Hopefully, he'll mend and
leave in one battered piece.

JS

Jan 19, 2011, 3:33:56 PM1/19/11
Massive internal bleeding and a possible concussion can cause this. It
might also be the opiates he's on. I broke my pelvis in 4 places along with
a collapsed lung and a concussion in 09. I had internal bleeding for 4 days
and needed 13 blood transfusions. I couldn't remember a damn thing and
forgot who or where I was.

I met Jobst in Yosemite a few years back. He was riding his bike
(helmetless) at the time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not
serious and wishing him a speedy recovery.

John

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote in message

A. Dumas

Jan 19, 2011, 4:44:45 PM1/19/11
JS wrote:
> (helmetless)

Jesus Fucking Christ. He broke his leg! Meanwhile, racer Amber Halliday,
who was wearing a helmet, is in the ICU with head trauma.

Choppy Warburton

Jan 19, 2011, 4:48:26 PM1/19/11

Should have known better than to listen to "Lance is Clean and Jobst
is Slipping" Jacoubowsky

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jan 19, 2011, 6:06:59 PM1/19/11

========

Should have known better than to listen to "Lance is Clean and Jobst
is Slipping" Jacoubowsky

========

I have not once, ever, said Lance is clean.

Real classy comments regarding Jobst.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Anton Berlin

Jan 19, 2011, 6:53:58 PM1/19/11
On Jan 19, 5:06 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "Choppy Warburton" <choppywarbur...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It's classier there's a sense of humor about it and everyone hopes
he's doing well rather than posting that "he's slipping"

I'm sure he fucking appreciates that.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jan 19, 2011, 7:25:42 PM1/19/11

=======

It's classier there's a sense of humor about it and everyone hopes
he's doing well rather than posting that "he's slipping"

I'm sure he fucking appreciates that.

=======

You have a valid point about the "slipping" comment. I was repeating
verbatim what someone else had sent me, and you're right, it reads badly. My
apologies. Didn't mean for it to sound like that. "He's not doing quite as
well today as he was yesterday" would have been fine.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

RicodJour

Jan 19, 2011, 7:38:34 PM1/19/11
On Jan 19, 7:25 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

As a wannabe Fabio-esque flack, I can tell you that it's best left as,
"He's not out of the woods yet." That brings mental images of Jobst
riding through Euro-forests. He'd like that.

RBR Flack dJour

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jan 19, 2011, 7:52:56 PM1/19/11
=========

As a wannabe Fabio-esque flack, I can tell you that it's best left as,
"He's not out of the woods yet." That brings mental images of Jobst
riding through Euro-forests. He'd like that.

RBR Flack dJour
=========

They don't allow Jobst in the Euro-forest areas anymore. See this-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M%C3%A9morial_col_de_l%27Izoard.jpg

That was a thick lush forest before Jobst came through. The resonances
caused by his extraordinarily-low & powerful cadence knocked everything
flat. Locally, he's responsible for most of the earthquakes 'round here.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Cicero Venatio

Jan 19, 2011, 8:12:23 PM1/19/11
------------
If he's an old guy.....and slipping ..away, that's not a good sign.

---

Steven Bornfeld

Jan 19, 2011, 8:52:31 PM1/19/11

Was there a head injury?
My mother-in-law was hospitalized after a broken hip. Her mental status
deteriorated rapidly in the hospital. I should say that she was older
and less well than Jobst doubtless was. But this does happen to older
people after traumatic accidents. It was made much worse however, when
they decided she was "agitated" and put her on Seroquel (one of the
so-called "atypical" antipsychotics). This despite the fact that she
was nowhere near psychotic, and despite the fact that there is a
black-box warning against giving it to elderly with cognitive impairment.
I hope he has family and friends checking on him.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

John S

Jan 19, 2011, 9:13:34 PM1/19/11
Dum-as,

Thanks for the clarification.

John

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jan 19, 2011, 10:51:00 PM1/19/11
"Cicero Venatio" <jazz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I took the email someone sent me way too literally. He was slipping a
bit that day. He's getting gradually better. Got a new email today from
Ray Hosler who says he's recovering OK. That's really good news!

Brad Anders

Jan 19, 2011, 11:21:01 PM1/19/11
On Jan 19, 8:51 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

> I took the email someone sent me way too literally. He was slipping a

> bit that day. He's getting gradually better. Got a new email today from
> Ray Hosler who says he's recovering OK. That's really good news!

Hence the reason I suggest not conjecturing about this any further.

thanks,

Brad

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jan 19, 2011, 11:51:38 PM1/19/11

wrote:

> I took the email someone sent me way too literally. He was slipping a
> bit that day. He's getting gradually better. Got a new email today
> from
> Ray Hosler who says he's recovering OK. That's really good news!

=======

Hence the reason I suggest not conjecturing about this any further.

thanks,

Brad
=======

Not conjecture? Last I heard this was still rbr!

Nagurski

Jan 20, 2011, 1:12:59 AM1/20/11

No, it's not "classier". A guy is decent enough to pass on what
information he has about the beloved old curmudgeon, and you assholes
jump him about his choice of words. This is a really fucked up place.

thirty-six

Jan 20, 2011, 2:45:59 AM1/20/11

I'm just dropping in, when did you arrive?

Anton Berlin

Jan 20, 2011, 10:25:38 AM1/20/11

> No, it's not "classier". A guy is decent enough to pass on what
> information he has about the beloved old curmudgeon, and you assholes
> jump him about his choice of words. This is a really fucked up place.

It is a fucked up place especially if people we know and have in part
inspired our cycling/touring dreams is "slipping'

Jobst has been an inspiration to me and many others. I can't take a
photo of me, my bike and a sign marking a mountain pass top without
thinking of Jobst - and it will always be that way.

So fuck you when I get a little serious when someone tells me that
someone important to me is 'slipping'

(and as far as decent it smacked more of wanting to be the first to
post the bad news and sensationalism more than decency )

Cicero Venatio

Jan 20, 2011, 10:28:11 AM1/20/11

> Jesus Fucking Christ. He broke his leg! Meanwhile, racer Amber Halliday,
> who was wearing a helmet, is in the ICU with head trauma.
----------
So let me get this straight, Amber and Jobst were riding together and
now they are both in the hospital?

A. Dumas

Jan 20, 2011, 3:46:26 PM1/20/11
John S wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification.

You're welcome. I am an easy target for helmet trolls: helmet zealots
irk me even more than Gavia/Breukink deniers.

Don't know Jobst other than as an rb.tech pedant but I hope he does well.

JS

Jan 20, 2011, 5:23:46 PM1/20/11
I ain't no helmet zealot. Used to train without one all the time in my
younger years and even as of 2 years ago on occasion. But after getting hit
by a truck and almost dying, I don't do that.

"A. Dumas" <alex...@dumas.fr.invalid> wrote in message

thirty-six

Jan 20, 2011, 5:28:57 PM1/20/11
On Jan 20, 10:23 pm, "JS" <mcgyver66REM...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I ain't no helmet zealot.  Used to train without one all the time in my
> younger years and even as of 2 years ago on occasion.  But after getting hit
> by a truck and almost dying, I don't do that.
>
> "A. Dumas" <alexan...@dumas.fr.invalid> wrote in message

> > John S wrote:
> >> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> > You're welcome. I am an easy target for helmet trolls: helmet zealots irk
> > me even more than Gavia/Breukink deniers.
>
> > Don't know Jobst other than as an rb.tech pedant but I hope he does well.

Stop dying and start drinking. where's it gone, where's my bottle
gone, ah. Tody, I recommend A Sotch malt whicj goes by the nwme of
Knockando.

thirty-six

Jan 20, 2011, 5:34:19 PM1/20/11

and a fe wbottles of Ipa , she didn't tell me her name. :-)

Nagurski

Jan 20, 2011, 7:57:46 PM1/20/11
On Jan 19, 11:45 pm, thirty-six <thirty-...@live.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm just dropping in, when did you arrive?

Been watching the train wreck for years, participating occasionally.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jan 21, 2011, 12:04:23 AM1/21/11
> (and as far as decent it smacked more of wanting to be the first to
> post the bad news and sensationalism more than decency )

Hardly the case Anton. It was a screw-up on my part to hastily post exactly
what had been relayed to me, without considering context. Just yesterday
somebody sent me a photo that was taken of myself with Jobst at the top of
Mount Umunhum in 1974. I will always consider the cranky old guy to be an
inspiration and resource. And he will likely wonder where I (known as "Jake"
to him, which was what people called me back in the day) made the wrong turn
and embraced all manner of modern useless things like STI shifting and
lower-spoke-count wheels and such.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Anton Berlin" <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Frederick the Great

Jan 21, 2011, 1:17:01 AM1/21/11
In article <UB2_o.40496$tw4....@newsfe20.iad>,
"JS" <mcgyver...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I ain't no helmet zealot. Used to train without one all the time in my
> younger years and even as of 2 years ago on occasion. But after getting hit
> by a truck and almost dying, I don't do that.

So sad. So moving.

--
Old Fritz

Beloved Fred No. 1

Jan 21, 2011, 4:00:40 AM1/21/11

Nagurski wrote:
> Been watching the train wreck for years, participating occasionally.

If its on the event horizon its probably just a holograph.

Ryan Cousineau

Jan 21, 2011, 1:41:54 PM1/21/11
On Jan 20, 12:46 pm, "A. Dumas" <alexan...@dumas.fr.invalid> wrote:
> John S wrote:
> > Thanks for the clarification.
>
> You're welcome. I am an easy target for helmet trolls: helmet zealots
> irk me even more than Gavia/Breukink deniers.

I will have no more of your Hampsten-eliminationist rhetoric.

fubar2

Jan 21, 2011, 6:45:44 PM1/21/11
On Jan 19, 9:34 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>

wrote:
> Heard from someone closer to Jobst than I that he is "slipping." He was
> accepting visitors the first couple of days but presently isn't
> recognizing people and apparently has a tough time with his own
> memories. There must be a lot more to this than broken ribs and femur.
> This is all 3rd-hand info by the time I got it this morning; we're
> seeing what we can run down.
>
> --Mike--     Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Oh my... as one who used to frequently read/post here to r.b.r, I pop
in from time to time to see what is what, et. al.
This news saddens me. I pray that he recovers to be the joyful PITA
that we have all come to know.

Joe Cipale