ForkSTRONG Update - Sue the crap out of them Kunich

Anton Berlin

Feb 8, 2011, 12:02:23 PM2/8/11
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/archives/238528.asp

And don't go skiing until you cash the check !

Anton Berlin

Feb 8, 2011, 12:08:51 PM2/8/11
On Feb 8, 11:02 am, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/archives/238528.asp
>
> And don't go skiing until you cash the check !

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/434796_missingskier03.html

She was injured so badly from the fork incident -she was unable to
enjoy any outdoor activities according to her lawyer.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014158615_bikesuit08m.html

Frederick the Great

Feb 8, 2011, 7:47:08 PM2/8/11
In article
<eecc1640-3b2e-4b3a...@s3g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/archives/238528.asp
>
> And don't go skiing until you cash the check !

REI is appealing on the grounds she was accident prone.

<http://www.seattlepi.com/local/434796_missingskier03.html>

--
Old Fritz

Fred Fredburger

Feb 8, 2011, 8:02:49 PM2/8/11

I'm willing to bet that she didn't enjoy the ski trip.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Feb 8, 2011, 10:12:20 PM2/8/11
On Feb 8, 6:02 pm, Fred Fredburger <FredFredF...@Where.Are.The.Nachos>
wrote:

> On 2/8/2011 9:08 AM, Anton Berlin wrote:
>
> > On Feb 8, 11:02 am, Anton Berlin<truth_88...@yahoo.com>  wrote:
> >>http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/archives/238528.asp
>
> >> And don't go skiing until you cash the check !
>
> >http://www.seattlepi.com/local/434796_missingskier03.html
>
> > She was injured so badly from the fork incident -she was unable to
> > enjoy any outdoor activities according to her lawyer.
>
> >http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014158615_bikesuit08...

> I'm willing to bet that she didn't enjoy the ski trip.

I read a skiing forum where the search for her was
discussed and links were given to another forum
where she was well known. It's a small community,
probably even smaller than that of cyclocrossers. One
person mentioned that in addition to facial injuries,
in the immediate aftermath of the bike accident she had
had other issues like memory difficulties. Regardless of
what one thinks about JRA fork failures, I hope not
to ever faceplant on a bicycle.

From the newspaper article, the recent decision in
the lawsuit wasn't a finding of fault wrt the fork failure.
Rather the decision was that REI should have to
defend against the liability lawsuit - REI claimed the
lawsuit should be only against the fork manufacturer.
Since it was an REI house brand fork, the decision
making them a party to the suit seems reasonable.

Cornices scare the crap out of me, BTW.
Fortunately, I do not have the skills to go near one.

Fredmaster Ben

Anton Berlin

Feb 8, 2011, 10:31:27 PM2/8/11

> Cornices scare the crap out of me, BTW.
> Fortunately, I do not have the skills to go near one.
>
> Fredmaster Ben

I was a ski instructor right after I quit racing. I've saw 2 skiers
that were over solid ground pulled at an angle as a cornice failed and
avalanched. Luckily for these 2 guys it was a 30 ft fun drop into 10
feet of snow with a dozen witnesses from the ski patrol and ski school
to dig them out - that same winter two others died by ending upside
down in tree wells while out of bounds.

Frederick the Great

Feb 8, 2011, 11:48:07 PM2/8/11
In article
<575cf5cf-5275-4c73...@d17g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Did not know about tree wells

<http://www.treewelldeepsnowsafety.com/tree_wells.php>

"For your safety, you should assume all trees have a
hazardous tree well. Fortunately, the risk of falling
into a tree well is completely avoidable."

Oho. Avoidable.

"Tree wells exist in deep snow areas and only around
trees in simple terms, a tree well is a hole in the
deep snow, which is clearly marked by a tree. You can
easily identify and avoid these areas."

Ah. Easily identifiable.

"Prevention of falling into a tree well is all-important
because the odds of surviving deep snow immersion are
low. Remember, in two experiments conducted in the U.S.
and Canada in which volunteers were temporarily placed
in a tree well, 90% COULD NOT rescue themselves."

Mmmm, 90% fatal.

--
Old Fritz

RicodJour

Feb 9, 2011, 1:21:15 AM2/9/11
On Feb 8, 11:48 pm, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article
> <575cf5cf-5275-4c73-bf4a-af818568d...@d17g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,

Sounds like a nice Darwin Trap.

Anton Berlin

Feb 9, 2011, 8:49:05 AM2/9/11

Imagine being upside down suspended by your skis or snowboard,
freezing cold, arms trapped by your side as snow gently falls in.
Like drowning but worse. - no pretty fish to look at.

RicodJour

Feb 9, 2011, 9:06:20 AM2/9/11
On Feb 9, 8:49 am, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 12:21 am, RicodJour <ricodj...@worldemail.com> wrote:

> > > Did not know about tree wells
>
> > > <http://www.treewelldeepsnowsafety.com/tree_wells.php>
>
> > > "For your safety, you should assume all trees have a
> > > hazardous tree well. Fortunately, the risk of falling
> > > into a tree well is completely avoidable."
>
> > > Oho. Avoidable.
>
> > > "Tree wells exist in deep snow areas and only around
> > > trees in simple terms, a tree well is a hole in the
> > > deep snow, which is clearly marked by a tree. You can
> > > easily identify and avoid these areas."
>
> > > Ah. Easily identifiable.
>
> > > "Prevention of falling into a tree well is all-important
> > > because the odds of surviving deep snow immersion are
> > > low. Remember, in two experiments conducted in the U.S.
> > > and Canada in which volunteers were temporarily placed
> > > in a tree well, 90% COULD NOT rescue themselves."
>
> > > Mmmm, 90% fatal.
>
> > Sounds like a nice Darwin Trap.
>

> Imagine being upside down suspended by your skis or snowboard,
> freezing cold, arms trapped by your side as snow gently falls in.
> Like drowning but worse.  - no pretty fish to look at.

And just waiting for the wolverine to arrive.

Anton Berlin

Feb 9, 2011, 11:21:27 AM2/9/11

LOL

Yes it can always get worse. A badger could chew off your face.