Fatty Masters National Championships in Frisco this week

Anton Berlin

Aug 31, 2010, 4:28:06 PM8/31/10
Sad to say I will be out of town and missing all of the slow-motion
action. Maybe someone will break 5 minutes in the pursuit and make
the evening news (the 3k pursuit ! )

LawBoy01

Aug 31, 2010, 8:08:54 PM8/31/10

I went out there tonight and watched some of the warm-ups for the
races this week. Not much to see. Rumor has it that Carl Sundquist
is gonna make it down from Arkansas to race on Sunday.

Phil H

Aug 31, 2010, 8:16:27 PM8/31/10

It's hot, windy and humid and the track is kinda slow. Oh well, it's
the same for everyone. I'll try to break 3 minutes for the 2k.

Phil H

LawBoy01

Aug 31, 2010, 8:23:17 PM8/31/10

If you're in from out of town, send me an email and your welcome to
come over for dinner this week.

Anton Berlin

Sep 1, 2010, 8:38:26 AM9/1/10
On Aug 31, 7:16 pm, Phil H <pholma...@gmail.com> wrote:

It's a slowdrome. Good luck Phil.

Fred on a stick

Sep 2, 2010, 10:45:05 AM9/2/10
On 8/31/2010 5:16 PM, Phil H wrote:

> It's hot, windy and humid and the track is kinda slow. Oh well, it's
> the same for everyone. I'll try to break 3 minutes for the 2k.

5 Philip Holman Tucson, AZ 2:45.067

Did you train with PowerCranks?

Anton Berlin

Sep 2, 2010, 11:37:47 AM9/2/10
On Sep 2, 9:45 am, Fred on a stick <anonymous.cow...@address.invalid>
wrote:

It's been raining - are they even running any events?

Anton Berlin

Sep 2, 2010, 2:12:03 PM9/2/10

I saw that the 75+ 2KM record was set yesterday. That's pretty cool.

Phil H

Sep 2, 2010, 4:58:01 PM9/2/10
On Sep 2, 7:45 am, Fred on a stick <anonymous.cow...@address.invalid>
wrote:

I did 2:37 at San Diego a few weeks ago. I never got my legs back
after the 2 day drive. Excuses, excuses....failure is not falling
down, its staying down!

Phil H

Phil H

Sep 2, 2010, 5:10:30 PM9/2/10
> come over for dinner this week.- Hide quoted text -

I never saw your note till after I left. Sorry, we could have talked
about you know who. I stayed at the Hyatt Place near West Parker and
N Dallas Tollway. I was chasing lots of Lexus cars around the back
streets. What the heck do all those people do for a living ....one
million $ home after another. By contrast I stayed at a hotel in Pecos
on the drive up.
Phil H

Fred on a stick

Sep 3, 2010, 1:24:23 AM9/3/10
On 9/2/2010 1:58 PM, Phil H wrote:

>> Did you train with PowerCranks?
>
> I did 2:37 at San Diego a few weeks ago. I never got my legs back
> after the 2 day drive. Excuses, excuses....failure is not falling
> down, its staying down!

Nice result, anyway.

But I'm still curious -- did you use PowerCranks for your training this
time around?

Phil H

Sep 3, 2010, 1:48:46 PM9/3/10
On Sep 2, 10:24 pm, Fred on a stick <anonymous.cow...@address.invalid>
wrote:

OK, I don't use PCs anymore per se but I can train with regular cranks
in the same way. Example: I'll do a 30 minute workout fairly hard by
just pulling up on the cranks. On long climbs I'll pull up and push
down. Having trained my legs to pedal like this, I really don't need
the cranks anymore. When racing I consciously pull up on the cranks
when the hammer goes down.
Phil H

Fred on a stick

Sep 3, 2010, 9:56:44 PM9/3/10
On 9/3/2010 10:48 AM, Phil H wrote:

> OK, I don't use PCs anymore per se but I can train with regular cranks
> in the same way. Example: I'll do a 30 minute workout fairly hard by
> just pulling up on the cranks. On long climbs I'll pull up and push
> down. Having trained my legs to pedal like this, I really don't need
> the cranks anymore. When racing I consciously pull up on the cranks
> when the hammer goes down.

Hmmm. Did you use PC's after that little stint around 10 years ago?

Phil H

Sep 3, 2010, 10:34:25 PM9/3/10
On Sep 3, 6:56 pm, Fred on a stick <anonymous.cow...@address.invalid>
wrote:

I quit using them when I quit racing in 2003 although I never stopped
training hard or using the same pedaling technique. I would still ride
in the local weekly hammerfest.
This year I started racing again (60+) and eventually got under the
hour for a 40K TT. On a good day I'm about 1 mph slower than I was 10
years ago. What is your interest in PCs and were you "Fred on a Stick"
10 years ago?
Phil H

Fred on a stick

Sep 3, 2010, 11:20:39 PM9/3/10

Ah, sorry, I forgot I was posting under that name. I guess it would've
been clearer if I'd used "chung on a stick" but I was rolling with the
Fred theme.

I was just wondering whether you'd been using PCs all this time, or if
you'd stopped. Remember a couple of years ago when I mentioned that
Frank was trying to get some riders together to do a test? That didn't
turn out so well.

Phil H

Sep 4, 2010, 7:52:56 PM9/4/10
On Sep 3, 8:20 pm, Fred on a stick <anonymous.cow...@address.invalid>
> turn out so well.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, now I know who you are. Frank's proposed setup for that test was
heading towards an invalid result. I pondered doing it but decided not
to because, well, a lot of work for an invalid result. Do you have any
details on how it turned out exactly?

Phil H

Fred on a stick

Sep 4, 2010, 8:43:27 PM9/4/10
On 9/4/2010 4:52 PM, Phil H wrote:
> Frank's proposed setup for that test was
> heading towards an invalid result. I pondered doing it but decided not
> to because, well, a lot of work for an invalid result. Do you have any
> details on how it turned out exactly?

Mostly invalid. Frank says that no one followed his protocol -- and, in
fact, most of the people to whom he sent PCs never even returned them
after the year was up. The one guy who made regular reports of his
experiences concluded that .... well, if you have some time to kill you
can read it yourself, beginning here:
http://james-p-smith.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html
and then skipping around to the "conclusion" post a year later.

Frank has said that because James didn't use them exclusively his
results should be ignored. OTOH, James did return the PCs at the end of
the year.

Phil H

Sep 4, 2010, 9:23:03 PM9/4/10
On Sep 4, 5:43 pm, Fred on a stick <anonymous.cow...@address.invalid>
wrote:

He returned them! Must be worth at least -.02 on a p value :)
Wow, he did a lot of write up on PCs. As AC once said (to me), thank
you for your n = 1 study.

Phil H

Fred on a stick

Sep 5, 2010, 1:06:44 AM9/5/10
On 9/4/2010 6:23 PM, Phil H wrote:

> Wow, he did a lot of write up on PCs. As AC once said (to me), thank
> you for your n = 1 study.

Yeah, I warned him about that before he started but he's an engineer so
of course he went ahead anyway.

Phil H

Sep 5, 2010, 12:41:05 PM9/5/10
On Sep 4, 10:06 pm, Fred on a stick <anonymous.cow...@address.invalid>
wrote:

In scientific terms, the success or failure of PCs doesn't appear to
generalize to the population. There could be one or more of several
other variables at work here. So even before carrying out a very well
designed study (catch 22), some investigation needs to be done to
identify such variables to isolate them. Sounds like a lot of work to
me. However, given enough funding and removal from biased influences
I'm sure I could come up with a valid result.
Phil H