LA bolsters his "defense" team

1 view

bar

Aug 20, 2010, 11:47:27 AM8/20/10

Philip

Aug 20, 2010, 11:51:21 AM8/20/10
On Aug 20, 10:47 am, bar <barbari...@gmail.com> wrote:
> with a spin meister ...
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstrong-adds-communications-strateg...
>
> -b-

Common. You get asked a lot of questions while an investigation is
going on, and you want to control the discussion as much as you can.

Ben Trovato

Aug 20, 2010, 12:00:08 PM8/20/10

So you choose a winner like Fabiani with his sterling record of
controlling the discussion and ensuring positive outcomes:
Whitewatergate, Gore2000, Goldman Sucks; given the text of his first
propaganda blast, I'm sure Fabulous Fab's up to the task of destroying
any residual sympathy for his client.

Magilla Gorilla

Aug 20, 2010, 12:12:44 PM8/20/10
Philip wrote:

Is that you, Lawboy? Regardless, wrong answer.

Lance hired a professional liar because he sees the writing on the wall. He
sees Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens being indicted. Lance saw Tammy Thomas
indicted and convicted. And Lance is the next liar in line. Lance's only
hope is to beat the wrap because he's too caught up in his lies to
backpedal. If he admits he doped to win 7 Tours then his charity, his
reputation, his endorsement value, his political future - all will be flushed
down the toilet. Permanently.

The bottom line: It would have been much cheaper to hire Landis for a few
years on Radioshit than hire a half dozen lawyers and now a PR guy who
probably charges more than the lawyers.

Time for another one of those fucking YouTube cartoons.

Thanks,

Magilla

--D-y

Aug 20, 2010, 1:46:00 PM8/20/10
On Aug 20, 11:12 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org>
wrote:

> Lance hired a professional liar because he sees the writing on the wall.  He
> sees Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens being indicted.  Lance saw Tammy Thomas
> indicted and convicted.  And Lance is the next liar in line.  Lance's only
> hope is to beat the wrap because he's too caught up in his lies to
> backpedal.  If he admits he doped to win 7 Tours then his charity, his
> reputation, his endorsement value, his political future - all will be flushed
> down the toilet.  Permanently.

FWIW, I usta think that, too. At this point, that's wishful thinking
on your part. Sure, they nailed Madoff to the barn door, but how many
places besides the bonus trial has LA purportedly-- possibly-- lied
under oath or in any sort of "official" situation? Clemens might be a
lot bigger but they also have a lot more leverage on him, his having
Lied To Congress and all.

> The bottom line: It would have been much cheaper to hire Landis for a few
> years on Radioshit than hire a half dozen lawyers and now a PR guy who
> probably charges more than the lawyers.

Yeah, I mean this all could have blown up anyhow but in retrospect
Lance should have just stayed home (and kept his mouth shut about
"joke" Tours), and they should have just let Floyd claim his leg hurt
and put him somewhere distant & quiet, in a consulting job or
something-- maybe as a bicycle tour guide on the Grand Cayman or
something.

> Time for another one of those fucking YouTube cartoons.

Those are so obvious, lame, time-wasting that I'm amazed that you of
all entities take an interest.
Whatever, to each their own.
--D-y

Magilla Gorilla

Aug 20, 2010, 1:59:01 PM8/20/10
--D-y wrote:

> On Aug 20, 11:12 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Lance hired a professional liar because he sees the writing on the wall.  He
> > sees Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens being indicted.  Lance saw Tammy Thomas
> > indicted and convicted.  And Lance is the next liar in line.  Lance's only
> > hope is to beat the wrap because he's too caught up in his lies to
> > backpedal.  If he admits he doped to win 7 Tours then his charity, his
> > reputation, his endorsement value, his political future - all will be flushed
> > down the toilet.  Permanently.
>
> FWIW, I usta think that, too. At this point, that's wishful thinking
> on your part. Sure, they nailed Madoff to the barn door, but how many
> places besides the bonus trial has LA purportedly-- possibly-- lied
> under oath or in any sort of "official" situation? Clemens might be a
> lot bigger but they also have a lot more leverage on him, his having
> Lied To Congress and all.

No, Lance just lied to the public, his sponsors, all cancer patients, every
reporter he ever spoke to, the UCI, his children, his relatives, his mother, and
everyone else in the world (except for about 47 people he either doped in front of
or told he doped).

Magilla

TheCoz

Aug 20, 2010, 2:14:11 PM8/20/10
On Aug 20, 12:59 pm, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org>
wrote:

Lance needs to call OJ for his list of lawyers.
Coz

--D-y

Aug 20, 2010, 2:53:33 PM8/20/10
On Aug 20, 12:59 pm, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org>
wrote:

Everybody (pretty close) was doping, everyone was lying about it.

Reason for Lance as special case is... (Lafferty Syndrome?)
--D-y

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 20, 2010, 3:15:18 PM8/20/10
"Magilla Gorilla" <m.go...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote in message

But in the end, he did take a page from your book and use a pseudonym to
deflect personal accountability (the "28" campaign).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

DA74

Aug 20, 2010, 4:39:00 PM8/20/10
On Aug 20, 12:15 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "Magilla Gorilla" <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote in message
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA- Hide quoted text -

And I'll bet you've got those posters slapped all over your little
shop. The blood money might slow after the indictment so maybe you
should diversify the product line.

You're Welcome,
DA74

B. Lafferty

Aug 20, 2010, 5:18:16 PM8/20/10
>> Redwood City& Los Altos, CA USA- Hide quoted text -

> And I'll bet you've got those posters slapped all over your little
> shop. The blood money might slow after the indictment so maybe you
> should diversify the product line.
>
> You're Welcome,
> DA74

Including the rotten one from Austin via Plano. When this is the best
the PR guy can do--plus get an AP wire story out about where Armstrong
is speaking at graduation 2011--you know they are sinking fast.

He then repeated a claim already made by Lance Armstrong, calling into
question if it is right to spend taxpayers' money on the investigation:
"With salmonella causing the recall of 380 million eggs, I'm probably
not the only one wondering right now why the FDA is spending its
resources looking into international bicycle races that occurred years
ago," Fabiani said in an e-mail to Bloomberg.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 20, 2010, 7:09:07 PM8/20/10

======

And I'll bet you've got those posters slapped all over your little
shop. The blood money might slow after the indictment so maybe you
should diversify the product line.

You're Welcome,
DA74
======

You're welcome to come in and take a look. We haven't seen much movement in
"Lance" merchandise for a number of years, and I don't think that has
anything to do with doping accusations. As I've said before, I think Lance
ceased to be a big factor for Trek in particular some years ago, but has
remained a force that has increased awareness of cyling, both competitive
and recreational, in the years since. In a worst-case scenario, I don't
think Lance could somehow ruin cycling or even cause a significant dent in
its popularity. There's a lot more to cycling than just Lance, and for those
who got into it for Lance and no other reason... well, I wouldn't really
consider them cyclists in the first place.

You didn't ask, in fact nobody's asked, or looked into, Trek's marketing of
Lance. This is curious. Ask questions, I'll answer. Always have. But in the
meantime, check Trek's website www.trekbikes.com and let me know what you
think.

As I've said, my emotions regarding Lance are curiously detached. I watch
how this all plays out from an academic standpoint, especially the marketing
aspects.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Aug 21, 2010, 1:23:05 AM8/21/10
On Aug 20, 1:39 pm, DA74 <davidasto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 20, 12:15 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
> wrote:
> > "Magilla Gorilla" <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote in message
> > > No, Lance just lied to the public, his sponsors, all cancer patients,
> > > every
> > > reporter he ever spoke to, the UCI, his children, his relatives, his
> > > mother, and
> > > everyone else in the world (except for about 47 people he either doped in
> > > front of
> > > or told he doped).
>
> > > Magilla
>
> > But in the end, he did take a page from your book and use a pseudonym to
> > deflect personal accountability (the "28" campaign).
>
> > --Mike Jacoubowsky
> > Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
> > Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA- Hide quoted text -

> And I'll bet you've got those posters slapped all over your little
> shop. The blood money might slow after the indictment so maybe you
> should diversify the product line.
>
> You're Welcome,
> DA74

Blood money? Who did LANCE kill?

"DA74's hopes and dreams" is not an acceptable answer.

Fredmaster Ben

Mr. Slate

Aug 21, 2010, 2:38:58 AM8/21/10
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> There's a lot more to cycling than just Lance, and for
> those who got into it for Lance and no other reason... well, I
> wouldn't really consider them cyclists in the first place.

>Mike Jacoubowsky

That was below the belt, but does it hurt less with one nut?

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 21, 2010, 4:05:57 AM8/21/10

"Mr. Slate" <Like...@NoSpammers.com> wrote in message

You'd have to ask all the people my son and I saw leaving after Lance
passed through during the TdF final TT. Pretty unbelievable that people
would travel that far to see Lance, and after he passed through, head
off. Keep in mind that Lance was well down on the GC at that point, so
nearly all of the big names were still to come.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Magilla Gorilla

Aug 21, 2010, 7:51:23 AM8/21/10

--D-y wrote:

So, what's your point? You dumb cyclists all think alike.

And half the people who doped admitted it - so why doesn't Lance do that?

Magilla

Magilla Gorilla

Aug 21, 2010, 7:52:38 AM8/21/10

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

You don't seem to know what a pseudonym is.

Thanks,

Magilla

Magilla Gorilla

Aug 21, 2010, 7:53:54 AM8/21/10
DA74 wrote:

I think Lance's bigger worry is USADA. They're the only ones who can take away
a few of his Tours.

Magilla

Magilla Gorilla

Aug 21, 2010, 7:56:24 AM8/21/10

"B. Lafferty" wrote:

The eggs are already recalled - there's not a lot else left to do for the FDA.
It's not like the FDA goes out there and has their people physically removing
fucking egg cartons from the refrigerated sections of grocery stores around the
country.

Magilla

Magilla

Magilla Gorilla

Aug 21, 2010, 7:59:05 AM8/21/10
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

I'm sure Trek just loved it when Lance came out with a book entitled, "It's
Not About the Bike."

Magilla

Magilla Gorilla

Aug 21, 2010, 8:00:30 AM8/21/10
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

Anybody who travels to France just to see Lance - or any of these idiots -
race is an idiot.

Magilla

B. Lafferty

Aug 21, 2010, 9:40:47 AM8/21/10
What people forget or don't want to acknowledge is that the
investigation now involves more resources than just the FDA.

B. Lafferty

Aug 21, 2010, 3:21:28 PM8/21/10
On 8/21/2010 7:56 AM, Magilla Gorilla wrote:

There also haven't been any leaks for almost two weeks. It's hard to
complain about leaks when there are no leaks.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 21, 2010, 6:53:35 PM8/21/10
"Magilla Gorilla" <m.go...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote in message

I assume that's your attitude about traveling to see a sporting event in
general? Super Bowl, Wimbledon, World Cup, Grand Masters, whatever?

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 21, 2010, 7:43:54 PM8/21/10
"Magilla Gorilla" <m.go...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote in message

Trek had no public or private comment on that, other than to say "It's just
a book title." Me? Different story. Let's see, you've got a good-sized
company in Wisconsin that's willing to put just about everything else on
hold in order to design and build bikes just for you, a company that was one
of the initial sponsors of the team long before there was evidence you'd be
making an historic comeback from cancer and win the TdF... and you write a
book whose title is "It's Not About the Bike"???

I have no idea whether it was a strategic move on Lance's part, essentially
a powerful bluff saying look, I can do anything I want, you've got to show
me a whole lot more $$$ if you think you can get me to shill for the
company... or if it really was nothing more than a title, something that
meant that cycling was metaphorical and not specific.

The relationship between Trek and Lance seemed to become much more formal
after that book came out.

DA74

Aug 22, 2010, 4:27:09 PM8/22/10
On Aug 21, 4:43 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "Magilla Gorilla" <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote in message
> >> meantime, check Trek's websitewww.trekbikes.comand let me know what you
> Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA- Hide quoted text -

Get a clue asshat. The clown has a GED from some dusty school district
in Plano TX. He didn't write a book let alone pick out the title.

DA74

Aug 22, 2010, 4:38:38 PM8/22/10
On Aug 20, 4:09 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> meantime, check Trek's websitewww.trekbikes.comand let me know what you

> think.
>
> As I've said, my emotions regarding Lance are curiously detached. I watch
> how this all plays out from an academic standpoint, especially the marketing
> aspects.
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

You are completely delusional. I don't think you realize how fucking
delusional. It's not your excellence at retail that has sold bikes in
the last decade. It was the Lance effect whether you like it or not.
And you're still using his name and likeness to sell bikes.

I'd be willing to bet you've still got his name and face plastered in
your store. My guess? A prominent display and a couple posters. Count
and get back to me.

B. Lafferty

Aug 22, 2010, 4:35:12 PM8/22/10
On 8/22/2010 4:27 PM, DA74 wrote:
> On Aug 21, 4:43 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"<Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
> wrote:
>> "Magilla Gorilla"<m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote in message

>>> I'm sure Trek just loved it when Lance came out with a book entitled,
>>> "It's
>>> Not About the Bike."
>>
>>> Magilla
>>
>> Trek had no public or private comment on that, other than to say "It's just
>> a book title." Me? Different story. Let's see, you've got a good-sized
>> company in Wisconsin that's willing to put just about everything else on
>> hold in order to design and build bikes just for you, a company that was one
>> of the initial sponsors of the team long before there was evidence you'd be
>> making an historic comeback from cancer and win the TdF... and you write a
>> book whose title is "It's Not About the Bike"???
>>
>> I have no idea whether it was a strategic move on Lance's part, essentially
>> a powerful bluff saying look, I can do anything I want, you've got to show
>> me a whole lot more $$$ if you think you can get me to shill for the
>> company... or if it really was nothing more than a title, something that
>> meant that cycling was metaphorical and not specific.
>>
>> The relationship between Trek and Lance seemed to become much more formal
>> after that book came out.
>>
>> --Mike Jacoubowsky
>> Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
>> Redwood City& Los Altos, CA USA- Hide quoted text -

> Get a clue asshat. The clown has a GED from some dusty school district
> in Plano TX. He didn't write a book let alone pick out the title.

Sally Jenkins has come to his defense many times before--but it appears
not anymore. The silence is deafening.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 22, 2010, 7:08:12 PM8/22/10
======

You are completely delusional. I don't think you realize how fucking
delusional. It's not your excellence at retail that has sold bikes in
the last decade. It was the Lance effect whether you like it or not.
And you're still using his name and likeness to sell bikes.

I'd be willing to bet you've still got his name and face plastered in
your store. My guess? A prominent display and a couple posters. Count
and get back to me.

======

Why bother? You don't trust or believe anything I say. Come in and see
for yourself. Or check out our website. I'll help you. Go to the main
page, hit control-f and look for any references to "Lance."

I've explained, many times, my rationale for why Lance has had a much
greater effect on the industry as a whole than he has for Trek in
particular, since maybe 2005, maybe even before that. Lance sold a lot
of bikes through maybe 2002 for Trek. But some of us figured that 2005
was roughly the point at which the "Lance Tax" (the amount dealers were
being charged for the various costs associated with the sponsorship)
possibly had a negative return. Other dealers didn't have this "tax" but
they benefitted greatly from the increased awareness of cycling. A great
sponsorship will hopefully drive sales to a certain level, but it's
naive to believe things will just continue to grow past a certain point.
At some point you reach saturation; those susceptible to your message
already have the product. But Specialized, Cervelo, Giant etc all
derived significant benefit. Their sales went up substantially during
the TdF, even when they didn't have a dog in the race. Substantially
greater than before Lance's popularity.

How much more needs to be spelled out for you? Do you need to know about
all the marketing expenses that Trek dealers now pay out of their own
pocket, that used to be the responsibility of the bike company? The 2%
co-op credit for local marketing that ceased to be available some years
ago? Your "blood money" has been paid for many times over.

DA74

Aug 22, 2010, 8:50:40 PM8/22/10
On Aug 22, 4:08 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

> > You're welcome to come in and take a look. We haven't seen much
> > movement in
> > "Lance" merchandise for a number of years, and I don't think that has
> > anything to do with doping accusations. As I've said before, I think
> > Lance
> > ceased to be a big factor for Trek in particular some years ago, but
> > has
> > remained a force that has increased awareness of cyling, both
> > competitive
> > and recreational, in the years since. In a worst-case scenario, I
> > don't
> > think Lance could somehow ruin cycling or even cause a significant
> > dent in
> > its popularity. There's a lot more to cycling than just Lance, and for
> > those
> > who got into it for Lance and no other reason... well, I wouldn't
> > really
> > consider them cyclists in the first place.
>
> > You didn't ask, in fact nobody's asked, or looked into, Trek's
> > marketing of
> > Lance. This is curious. Ask questions, I'll answer. Always have. But
> > in the
> > meantime, check Trek's websitewww.trekbikes.comandlet me know what
> --Mike--     Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com- Hide quoted text -

Oh I'm talking about more than just Treks. He boosted the entire road
cycling phenomenon. Every manufacturer was the beneficiary. Now, you
can throw all kinds of bullshit numbers out there like co-op costs
etc. from Trek, but the fact is the Trek train rolled out of the
station behind LA's locomotive in 1999 and kept a rollin' at least
until now (and probably into the future) - if you failed to profit by
not passing those nickel and dime costs on to your customers in some
way then maybe that's just a symptom of your shortcomings as a
businessman. But you can cry foul and blame Trek if it makes you sleep
better.

Now back to the real matter. We both know you're still riding his dope-
addled coattails. Or you can prove me wrong by answering my question:
How many Lance ads (posters, displays etc.) do you have hanging in
your store? I'll betcha don't answer again.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 22, 2010, 9:51:40 PM8/22/10
"DA74" <davida...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
======

[...]

There's nothing in it for me to answer that question because if I'm
truthful you won't believe me. That's why I figured you'd be best off
coming into the shop on your own, looking through everything carefully.
Maybe you'll find something I don't know about. Heck, I've had sales
that concluded six months before we discovered some sign in an obvious
place that had never been taken down. But I'll guess, at most, three.
But you don't trust me anyway, so what's the point?

Ahhh. I do have that one seriously-faded blown up photo in the front
window that I took of Lance, Jan, and a bunch of other contenders on top
of the Tourmalet in 2003. So add one, even though I've needed to get
that thing down for ages. Like I said, seriously faded. I believe you
live closer to our Los Altos store though, so maybe you can check it out
and get back to me. They've got a Pete's, Starbucks and Trader Joes in
the same center, if you need to rationalize the visit.

snogfest

Aug 23, 2010, 7:56:20 AM8/23/10
On Aug 21, 11:51 pm, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org>

which half of what people ?

snogfest

Aug 23, 2010, 7:58:17 AM8/23/10
On Aug 22, 12:00 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org>
wrote:
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > "Mr. Slate" <LikeFl...@NoSpammers.com> wrote in message

> > > That was below the belt, but does it hurt less with one nut?
>
> > You'd have to ask all the people my son and I saw leaving after Lance
> > passed through during the TdF final TT. Pretty unbelievable that people
> > would travel that far to see Lance, and after he passed through, head
> > off. Keep in mind that Lance was well down on the GC at that point, so
> > nearly all of the big names were still to come.
>
> > --Mike--     Chain Reaction Bicycles
> >www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>
> Anybody who travels to France just to see Lance - or any of these idiots -
> race is an idiot.
>
> Magilla

but not you, you're special

snogfest

Aug 23, 2010, 8:02:03 AM8/23/10
On Aug 22, 10:53 am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:
> "Magilla Gorilla" <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote in message

> > Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>
> >> "Mr. Slate" <LikeFl...@NoSpammers.com> wrote in message

> >> You'd have to ask all the people my son and I saw leaving after Lance
> >> passed through during the TdF final TT. Pretty unbelievable that people
> >> would travel that far to see Lance, and after he passed through, head
> >> off. Keep in mind that Lance was well down on the GC at that point, so
> >> nearly all of the big names were still to come.
>
> >> --Mike--     Chain Reaction Bicycles
> >>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>
> > Anybody who travels to France just to see Lance - or any of these idiots -
> > race is an idiot.
>
> > Magilla
>
> I assume that's your attitude about traveling to see a sporting event in
> general? Super Bowl, Wimbledon, World Cup, Grand Masters, whatever?
>
> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Ahh, Wimbledon. 1999 and 2000. I think Anna Kournikova was there,
bless her.
She was a doper too. And Sampras, and Goran, of course so was Borg and
McEnroe and Connors, whew, there's some Roid Rage, and musn't leave
out Navratalova.
Actually, didn't Greg Rudsescky (sp!) and Martina Hingis both get
tested positive, I think Hingis was for snorting coke tho.
Funniest dope test fail ever ? Shane Warne