What does a death on a training ride call us to do?

almos...@yahoo.com

Aug 25, 2010, 9:20:33 PM8/25/10
Kurt Hovelijnck, pro cyclist, fractured his skull in a training
accident.

Should we encourage riders to wear helmets? What other reaction can
there be? Assuming Mr. Hovelijnck's fans care, how can they help
prevent similar cycling injuries? Surely there's more to a reasoned
reaction than calling for mandatory use of helmets? What are some
other possibilities?

--D-y

Aug 26, 2010, 9:20:50 AM8/26/10
On Aug 25, 8:20 pm, "almost_f...@yahoo.com" <almost_f...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Hey Half-fast:

Why the "death" in your subject line? I looked up Hovelijnck; he
fractured his skull in training March '09and was back racing again
this season, after being in a coma for some time immed. following his
accident.

No mention of HELLLLMET in anything I read; IOW, if he hadn't been, I
would expect at least one source would have mentioned that as a sop to
phony hand-wringers like you.

One "possibility" is for you to take your nasty lying troll shit out
of here and stay away if that's the kind of nasty stinking crap you're
going to drag in here.
--D-y

Anton Berlin

Aug 26, 2010, 9:42:11 AM8/26/10
We should require him to wear a helmet just as we should have required
your father to wear a condom.

BLafferty

Aug 26, 2010, 9:44:51 AM8/26/10
On 8/26/2010 9:42 AM, Anton Berlin wrote:
> We should require him to wear a helmet just as we should have required
> your father to wear a condom.

Cold, Anton. Cold.

almos...@yahoo.com

Aug 28, 2010, 3:06:54 PM8/28/10

Dumbass,

Good catch, D-y. I don't know the guy, I had already typed the "death"
in the subject, then checked the facts (I know, shoulda done that
first), then corrected the text in the message body ... but not the
subject.

So if someone wants to use this guy's crash to push a helmet
requirement, where else can we steer them? They have some emotional
"need" to do *something*. What can they do, other than push helmets?

- Driver education?
- Cyclist education?
- Bike-handling classes (bike rodeo)?
- Something else?

What are the particulars about Kurt's crash? (Night time or day? Car
involved or not? Whose fault? Kurt's?!?)
Maybe they could help make some of these questions clearer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Almost "Half" Fast