This just in

DirtRoadie

Feb 8, 2011, 11:42:49 AM2/8/11
Ricco...
No link - Choose your favorite site for cycling related news.
DR

Fred Flintstein

Feb 8, 2011, 12:16:45 PM2/8/11

There is racing going on. The first picture shows a guy doping.
And good for him!

http://cycleture.photoshelter.com/gallery/Penn-Ice-Cycle-Loppet/G0000L8z7ui5_vUE

Fred Flintstein

rick-...@uiowa.edu

Feb 8, 2011, 1:15:01 PM2/8/11
Ricco, my nomination for "dumbest bike racer of the month".

Jeff Jones

Feb 8, 2011, 3:19:27 PM2/8/11

This would never have happened if Lance had have been banned.

RicodJour

Feb 8, 2011, 3:56:47 PM2/8/11

This blood looks moldy to me. Does it look moldy to you? I don't
know if I should pound it into my body. What do you think? Yeah,
you're right, what could go possibly wrong?
{cue sounds of ambulances}
{voiceover}
Being a pro bike racer is bad enough. Don't be criminally stupid
about it.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Feb 8, 2011, 4:07:35 PM2/8/11

RicodJour

Feb 8, 2011, 4:09:54 PM2/8/11
On Feb 8, 4:07 pm, Fredmaster of Brainerd <bjwei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://cycleture.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Penn-Ice-Cycle-Loppet...

> http://tinyurl.com/4dumewl
>
> Finally, a form of cycle racing in which
> beards are acceptable!

I'm sorry, but with the beard and the bib he looks like he's waiting
for his lobster special.

ilan

Feb 8, 2011, 4:09:56 PM2/8/11

A reminder: Ricco broke up with his girlfriend when she tested
positive for EPO claiming that he didn't want anything to do with any
kind of doping. Her B sample came back negative.

-ilan

Fred Flintstein

Feb 8, 2011, 4:23:06 PM2/8/11

I should note that I have never seen the more heavily bearded
guy riding a geared bicycle.

Fred Flintstein

ilan

Feb 8, 2011, 4:30:28 PM2/8/11

I'm looking forward to something worse that this:

January 31, 2004
Dmitri Konyshev, teammates charged in alleged prostitute shakedown

Procycling.com | Konyshev arrested for alleged assault on prostitute
Konyshev, who was second to Greg Lemond in the 1989 world
championships and third in 1992, has won four Tour stages over the
years, was arrested after a Romanian prostitute in the Italian town of
Motale claimed the 37-year-old Konyshev and three teammates tried to
force her into a car, claiming they were police. She claims she
escaped, but lost her purse containing 150 euros.

Konyshev and his teammates have been charged with assault, theft, and
attempted kidnapping.

DirtRoadie

Feb 8, 2011, 5:34:36 PM2/8/11

http://bit.ly/fko3gp
"Francesco Botrè, the director of the anti-doping laboratory in Rome,
told La Gazzetta dello Sport, 'This does not mean that the B sample
that was recently tested did not have the substance present, indeed.
Only that the amount was not sufficient to meet the minimum standards
required by the World Anti-Doping Agency.' "

But presumably she, Vania Rossi - now his fiancée, was the one with
him for the recent troublesome oil change. A match made in heaven.

DR

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Feb 8, 2011, 7:22:33 PM2/8/11

Testing under the WADA threshold is testing negative.
Unless WADA has recently defined it to be called
"non-positive" instead.

This is a place where Ilan's pedantry about not having
to prove your innocence should apply. If your B sample
returns a non-positive finding, heads of dope agencies
should not go around implying that you weren't really
cleared because you *might* have doped but the test
didn't detect enough juice to pop you. Otherwise, it
is pointless to establish a threshold.

Flintstein will now point out that the dope cops have
already been known to readjust the threshold when
it suits them.

Anyway, I would like to think that Vania took a bit of
revenge by "accidentally" leaving Ricco's blood jar out
on the kitchen counter for a few hours while rearranging
the refrigerator, but sadly she probably has forgiven
him for his abysmal lack of character.

Fredmaster Ben

Fred Fredburger

Feb 8, 2011, 7:25:35 PM2/8/11

This is where blame must inevitably fall. Thanks for bringing it up in
such short order.

Fred Flintstein

Feb 8, 2011, 9:18:41 PM2/8/11
On 2/8/2011 6:22 PM, Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> Testing under the WADA threshold is testing negative.
> Unless WADA has recently defined it to be called
> "non-positive" instead.
>
> This is a place where Ilan's pedantry about not having
> to prove your innocence should apply. If your B sample
> returns a non-positive finding, heads of dope agencies
> should not go around implying that you weren't really
> cleared because you *might* have doped but the test
> didn't detect enough juice to pop you. Otherwise, it
> is pointless to establish a threshold.
>
> Flintstein will now point out that the dope cops have
> already been known to readjust the threshold when
> it suits them.

You're missing the point of the leak. The reason they leak
that sort of thing is so the rider loses their job. Any
dope cop will tell you it is way easier to get sanctions
against riders that are broke and unemployed than riders
that have the resources to mount a defense. They save a
lot of time and money that way.

And yes, Adam Bergman would have been cleared under the
rules that were in place when he committed his offense.
His arbitration decision came out in the January following
and *surprise* the parameters of what constituted a positive
result had changed.

Nobody cares about the administrative stuff. I'm the only
guy that reads the decisions (ask Scott Moninger how many
people read arbitration decisions) but that's where all
the interesting stuff is plainly written between the lines.

If I ever meet Don Catlin I'm going to tell him how much
my wife the chemist enjoyed the Tammy Thomas arbitration
decision. She liked the Moninger decision too, but she
didn't reference it in a lecture. And if she worked at the
French lab she would not do things the way they do things.

Fred Flintstein

Benjo Maso

Feb 8, 2011, 9:29:05 PM2/8/11

"ilan" schreef in bericht

On Feb 8, 5:42 pm, DirtRoadie <DirtRoa...@aol.com> wrote:
> Ricco...
> No link - Choose your favorite site for cycling related news.
> DR

A reminder: Ricco broke up with his girlfriend when she tested
positive for EPO claiming that he didn't want anything to do with any
kind of doping.

At least he is a man of principle. On the other hand, of course he should
have taken epo. Much safer.

Benjo

DirtRoadie

Feb 8, 2011, 9:39:59 PM2/8/11
On Feb 8, 5:22 pm, Fredmaster of Brainerd <bjwei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 3:34 pm, DirtRoadie <DirtRoa...@aol.com> wrote:

> > > A reminder: Ricco broke up with his girlfriend when she tested
> > > positive for EPO claiming that he didn't want anything to do with any
> > > kind of doping. Her B sample came back negative.
>
> >http://bit.ly/fko3gp
> > "Francesco Botrè, the director of the anti-doping laboratory in Rome,
> > told La Gazzetta dello Sport, 'This does not mean that the B sample
> > that was recently tested did not have the substance present, indeed.
> > Only that the amount was not sufficient to meet the minimum standards
> > required by the World Anti-Doping Agency.' "
>
> > But presumably she, Vania Rossi - now his fiancée, was the one with
> > him for the recent troublesome oil change. A match made in heaven.
>
> > DR
>
> Testing under the WADA threshold is testing negative.
> Unless WADA has recently defined it to be called
> "non-positive" instead.
>
> This is a place where Ilan's pedantry about not having
> to prove your innocence should apply.

I agree. That's exactly why the Botrè comment above is way out of line
("She guilty even though she's not officially guilty.") Indeed even
the publication of the "A" sample positive before a test of the "B"
sample is probably out of line, although I don't know the
circumstances surrounding the former. But also note, it is not a
criminal matter.

DR