Pinguecula and Cycling

Sean Melcher

Aug 26, 2011, 9:22:39 PM8/26/11
Hey all,

Just the other day my eye doctor diagnosed me with Pinguecula, a non-
cancerous growth on the white part of the eyeball due to wind/UV
exposure. I'd imagine that my past 7 years of road racing/riding has
contributed to the condition, and I was wondering if anyone else has
experienced this or knows anyone who has. Any advice on sunglasses,
treatment, methods, doctors, or otherwise would be greatly
appreciated.

Sean

Basking Ridge, NJ

Zenon

Aug 26, 2011, 10:52:58 PM8/26/11

Dude,

At least you didn't have a pteryguim! Get some sunglasses with side
shields and ask your doctor about using artificial tear eye drops to
keep your eyes moist.

All the best,
Zenon

Brad Anders

Aug 27, 2011, 12:08:39 AM8/27/11
Pretty anyone here in AZ who does outside sports develops this
condition to various degrees. Sub-5% humidity and 110+ temps will do
that to you. I have it, but it's not bad. Sunglasses help slow the
development, but if the exposure is enough, you get it eventually. If
yours isn't irritating you, or preventing you from wearing contacts,
then you can slow the progression by using good sunglasses that block
not only UV, but as much wind as possible. If yours is worse, then you
need to discuss treatment options with an ophthalmologist (an M.D) -
not an optometrist, or an optician. There are tons of web references
on Google that discuss this condition and various forms of treatment
for advanced cases.

Anton Berlin

Aug 27, 2011, 9:45:40 PM8/27/11
Almost every mexican roofer and construction worker in Texas has these
issues per my optometrist, Cyclists also.

I wear glasses now but when I raced I rarely did - wish I had.

Sean Melcher

Aug 28, 2011, 7:39:41 PM8/28/11

Would any of you guys recommend a good make/model of sunglasses to
help with this condition?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Sean

Sean Melcher

Aug 28, 2011, 7:38:45 PM8/28/11

Hey Zenon,

Would you recommend a certain make/model of sunglasses for this
condition? I was thinking either Oakley Racing Jackets or Jawbones
just because they look really big every time i see someone riding with
them (for the record, i don't spend money usually on things like
sunglasses). Let me know

Thanks a bunch,

Sean

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Aug 28, 2011, 11:30:34 PM8/28/11

It seems to me that it's going to depend on the shape of
your face, more than the specific brand. I think you want
something that wraps around reasonably closely. For
example, if you have a narrow face, bigger shades that stick
out a lot look bigger, but probably aren't as good for protecting
your eyes.

IMO, nearly all sunglasses, even cheap ones, even clear ones,
block a significant amount of UV. More expensive brands
hopefully get you more uniform lens quality and durability
(incl scratch resistance). The cost premium for style points
seems to be very high, so I use a mixture of cheapos and
name brands that were on sale. But they have to fit.

BTW, thanks for bringing this up. I tend to prefer riding without
glasses if I can get away with it, but since moving to Arizona
have worn them much more regularly out of necessity. Brad's
followup makes me think about being more religious about it,
even on days when I don't need the dark shades.

Fredmaster Ben

Brad Anders

Aug 29, 2011, 12:02:11 AM8/29/11
On Aug 28, 4:39 pm, Sean Melcher <sem5...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd go with Ben's suggestions. Try several different kinds and see
which ones work best for you. Sunglasses seem particularly personal.
One that works for me just great might be unwearable for you. You
definitely want to talk to an ophthalmologist about any other kind of
treatment, such as specific drops.