Cycl' O'Cross

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Oct 29, 2010, 2:02:57 AM10/29/10
Jobst just posted this link in r.b.tech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9_Fs1QtsOY

It's color film of an Irish cyclocross race from about
1960, with commentary added much later, and is
made of awesome.

I think my favorite comment is "And this is the muddy patch."

Enjoy,
Fredmaster Ben

RicodJour

Oct 29, 2010, 10:23:04 AM10/29/10

Excellent video. That is how it's supposed to be done. Wool
clothing, no helmets, tossing your bike 20' out into a stream, and
then jumping in to go get it. There was a comment about 3:55 in -
said something about 1993. I guess the commentator was playing the
movie back at some cycling club 35 years later. Only saw a couple of
guys with derailleurs. I'm guessing they weren't the ones trying to
throw their bikes clear across the stream.

Hermichut

Oct 31, 2010, 4:48:26 AM10/31/10

Are you sure it is from 1960 ? and what makes you think it is from
ireland ?

Hermichut

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Oct 31, 2010, 2:42:46 PM10/31/10

Did you listen to the commentary?

No I'm not sure it's from exactly 1960, that's why I said
"about 1960."

And the Irish influence appears to be in the cycling club that
posted it and the commentator's voice. Further research suggests
it's from outside Newcastle. I'm sorry if this ruined your
enjoyment of this film.

Fredmaster Ben

Hermichut

Oct 31, 2010, 4:23:28 PM10/31/10

relax.....

the youtube video title is 1950 Cyclocross Race.mp4 .(!!) .... and the
man's accent from the commentary is anything but Irish ... I was
just curious where these ideas came from......

h.

Beloved Fred No. 1

Oct 31, 2010, 4:41:40 PM10/31/10

Hermichut wrote:
> the youtube video title is 1950 Cyclocross Race.mp4 .(!!) .... and the
> man's accent from the commentary is anything but Irish ... I was
> just curious where these ideas came from......

And we're supposed to know the difference between an Irish accent and a
Newcastle accent ?

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Oct 31, 2010, 9:27:02 PM10/31/10

You could have said that to make a positive contribution
rather than appearing to make a complaint.

It's true the video title is 1950, but various clues, including
the fact that the film is in color, some of the bikes, and some
things the commentator says (and even some of the youtube
comments - this must be the first youtube video I have
seen with useful comments) suggest 1960s, not 1950.

Fredmaster Ben

Hermichut

Nov 1, 2010, 4:04:29 PM11/1/10

I guess it's all about perception , I have no issue with people from
outside of the UK not recognising a newcastle (ish) accent , it's to
be expected , but i thought the irish accent was relatively well known
amongst english speaking people , in the same way i would have assumed
most people would recognise an australian accent etc.... but I could
of course be wrong.. ( well, I am wrong ).

h.

Hermichut

Nov 1, 2010, 4:05:22 PM11/1/10

true , the tone was unequal to the intent.

h.

Beloved Fred No. 1

Nov 1, 2010, 4:26:26 PM11/1/10
Hermichut wrote:
> I guess it's all about perception , I have no issue with people from
> outside of the UK not recognising a newcastle (ish) accent , it's to
> be expected , but i thought the irish accent was relatively well known

They all sounds greco-texan to me, which probably is what Andy Carroll's
ex was swearing at him in.