Voeckler cracks wise.

Frederick the Great

Jul 21, 2011, 3:40:24 PM7/21/11
"Europcar may be a Pro Continental team, but the French
squad have dealt well with the weight of the yellow
jersey to date. Voeckler said yesterday that he will
have to reconsider his approach to the Tour in future
and prepare as an overall contender."

Right. Voeckler throws his hat in the ring
and he will never get up the road.

--
Old Fritz

DirtRoadie

Jul 21, 2011, 3:49:55 PM7/21/11

I think that's a given regardless of what he says he is doing.
He's much more than one of those flash-in-the-pan riders with a lucky
20 minute lead from an early breakaway who slowly watches that lead
dissipate. He's truly riding with MJ form and panache. Chapeau!

DR

Frederick the Great

Jul 21, 2011, 4:17:43 PM7/21/11
In article
<07943a6f-dc27-4d8b...@i6g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
DirtRoadie <DirtR...@aol.com> wrote:

I still think BMC, Leopard, and Saxobank are morons
to have let him go in stage 9. Each year I watch for
Voeckler to coin a new exploit.

--
Old Fritz

Scott

Jul 22, 2011, 12:52:27 AM7/22/11
On Jul 21, 2:17 pm, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article
> <07943a6f-dc27-4d8b-94a2-f52a1a936...@i6g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,

I think it was brilliant to have let him go... it was good for the
race to have a French leader, and while he's had a great season there
was no reason whatsoever to expect he'd make it through the Alps with
the lead, or even close enough to the lead to regain it with a stellar
TT. Plus, he's noted as being somewhat impulsive, as evidenced by his
jumping on every move in the Pyrenees instead of waiting to see what
the true contenders would do. My guess is he covered at least twice
as many of the attacks as he really needed to. When you consider how
much time he'd already spent in breakaways prior to stage 9, you'd
assume that he'd burn out by the end of the Tour, and he is. The
contenders gave the leader's jersey and all the responsibility that
comes with it to a guy they could count on to hold it for as long as
possible, but not too long.

A. Dumas

Jul 22, 2011, 6:14:12 AM7/22/11
Frederick the Great wrote:
> I still think BMC, Leopard, and Saxobank are morons
> to have let [Voeckler] go in stage 9.

They didn't, exactly. Chase got derailed in the Vino/JVDB crash. Gap
ballooned from 2-3 to 6-7 minutes after that. But then Voeckler didn't
let up after the attempted murder on Flecha and Hoogerland.

Frederick the Great

Jul 22, 2011, 9:04:52 PM7/22/11
In article <4e294d75$0$23904$e4fe...@news2.news.xs4all.nl>,
"A. Dumas" <alex...@dumas.fr.invalid> wrote:

Right, I lost track of those events. Perhaps y'all have
figured out that I do not much like the Voeckler love
fest, or even Voeckler himself. The contenders should
not have ever let him off the front, but that is their
business.

Tommy, bayybee, (can I call you Tommy Baby?) it was
your countryman (Félix Édouard Justin Émile Borel)
(7 January 1871 - 3 February 1956), a founder of measure
theory and its application to probability theory &
member of the French resistance, who observed that a
probabilty of
0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 is
as good as "will never happen" so maybe it was not
exactly a zero probability as you said. Perhaps it was
because you had had a non-zero chance that you threw a
bottle out of your high chair.

--
Old Fritz