Can't We All Just Get Along?

Tom Kunich

Apr 11, 2010, 10:50:41 AM4/11/10
We really need to get this group back to it's core identity - discussions of
bicycle racing and not wise-ass comments and various insults.

Mind you, everyone get's PO'd now and again and will make such a comment but
it appears to be nothing BUT those sorts of comments these days.

z, fred

Apr 11, 2010, 10:56:58 AM4/11/10

I wonder if there is a correlation to more access to live race coverage.

Before, information on the biggest races just trickled in, which forced
discussion/analysis. Now anyone can dig out a few links and see things
for themselves as they happen.

As such, smack-talk comes to the forefront. Better than a helmet thread
though.

ronaldo_jeremiah

Apr 11, 2010, 11:39:21 AM4/11/10
No.

-rj

Ryan Cousineau

Apr 11, 2010, 12:04:10 PM4/11/10
In article <3rlwn.90$0_...@newsfe25.iad>, "z, fred" <No...@not.ca>
wrote:

This is all probably true. But then there is this from Amit: "if i were
boonen i would've raced cancellara so negatively that he would want to
punch me in the parking lot after the race."

That arrived in the ng mere minutes after this thread started, and is
such a perfect combination of snark, results, and analysis that I fail
to see how the good old days could have been better.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 11, 2010, 1:15:17 PM4/11/10

"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

OK there, Tom "helmet-thread" Kunich.

You've got a selective memory.

DA74

Apr 11, 2010, 1:34:50 PM4/11/10

Go fuck yourself you kunt.

Tom Kunich

Apr 11, 2010, 3:36:43 PM4/11/10
"Fred K. Gringioni" <kgrin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

When was that?

Amit Ghosh

Apr 11, 2010, 3:40:09 PM4/11/10
On Apr 11, 3:36 pm, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com> wrote in messagenews:hpt042$tmj$1...@news.eternal-september.org...
>

> > "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> >> We really need to get this group back to it's core identity - discussions
> >> of bicycle racing and not wise-ass comments and various insults.
>
> >> Mind you, everyone get's PO'd now and again and will make such a comment
> >> but it appears to be nothing BUT those sorts of comments these days.
>
> > OK there, Tom "helmet-thread" Kunich.
>
> > You've got a selective memory.
>
> When was that?

kudos, you have a sense of humour.

Tom Kunich

Apr 11, 2010, 4:16:52 PM4/11/10
"Amit Ghosh" <amit....@gmail.com> wrote in message

Amit, I'm not denying that I started an argument. What I'm saying is that
this group has degenerated in to little more than a smart-aliki mess without
any serious racing discussions.

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 11, 2010, 4:22:58 PM4/11/10

"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> wrote in message >>
>> kudos, you have a sense of humour.
>
> Amit, I'm not denying that I started an argument. What I'm saying is that
> this group has degenerated in to little more than a smart-aliki mess
> without any serious racing discussions.

You are so fucking lame. Read the thread right below this one: "I don't
speak much Dutch but"

Plenty of racing content there.

Idiot.

K. Fred Gauss

Apr 11, 2010, 5:00:04 PM4/11/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <3rlwn.90$0_...@newsfe25.iad>, "z, fred" <No...@not.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> We really need to get this group back to it's core identity -
>>> discussions of bicycle racing and not wise-ass comments and various
>>> insults.
>>>
>>> Mind you, everyone get's PO'd now and again and will make such a comment
>>> but it appears to be nothing BUT those sorts of comments these days.
>>>
>> I wonder if there is a correlation to more access to live race coverage.
>>
>> Before, information on the biggest races just trickled in, which forced
>> discussion/analysis. Now anyone can dig out a few links and see things
>> for themselves as they happen.
>>
>> As such, smack-talk comes to the forefront. Better than a helmet thread
>> though.
>
> This is all probably true. But then there is this from Amit: "if i were
> boonen i would've raced cancellara so negatively that he would want to
> punch me in the parking lot after the race."
>
> That arrived in the ng mere minutes after this thread started, and is
> such a perfect combination of snark, results, and analysis that I fail
> to see how the good old days could have been better.

Fred F. Fredrickson likes this.

Steve Freides

Apr 11, 2010, 5:01:45 PM4/11/10

You can't control the content of a Usenet group. You may need to get
this group back to your idea of its core identity, but you are in the
minority in that regard, Tom, and there's no point in complaining about
it. Do or don't do, participate or don't participate. Complaining
about how others post serves no purpose - I know from personal
experience. :) Use a killfile.

-S-

Henry

Apr 11, 2010, 5:28:02 PM4/11/10
On Apr 12, 8:16 am, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Amit Ghosh" <amit.gh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

surely that's smark-aleck-y ?

Betty Munro

Apr 11, 2010, 5:41:02 PM4/11/10
DA74 wrote:
> Go fuck yourself you kunt.

In the future we can abbreviate that to GFYUK.

DA74

Apr 11, 2010, 5:53:29 PM4/11/10

Excellent. Thanks. You're like tinyurl for acronyms. This will be
quite handy.

I'm Welcome,
DA74

RicodJour

Apr 11, 2010, 7:27:18 PM4/11/10

I thought he was going for alkali. But maybe it's a new wiki-aliki
term.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Apr 11, 2010, 7:28:23 PM4/11/10

Retards,

Mote, eye, beam, own.

Ben

heather

Apr 11, 2010, 7:29:58 PM4/11/10

lol :)

Steven Bornfeld

Apr 11, 2010, 7:33:54 PM4/11/10

Where's the "hates this" button on FB?

Steve (not this, I'm just sayin')

Ryan Cousineau

Apr 11, 2010, 11:15:16 PM4/11/10
In article <YqGdnZyBR-j4wV_W...@earthlink.com>,
Steven Bornfeld <dentalt...@earthlink.net> wrote:

There is a "Report this content" option. But you're supposed to use it
for when h-squared posts porn, not for when your best friend emits a
tin-foil-catalyzed political theory.

Joking, of course, as h-squared's fb photos get nothing but Likes from
me,

TheCoz

Apr 11, 2010, 11:43:01 PM4/11/10

Been there, done that, good luck! You have a better chance getting us
to believe that Liz Hatch can race a bicycle without
consuming large quantities of asphalt.
Coz

Betty Munro

Apr 12, 2010, 5:05:59 AM4/12/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> There is a "Report this content" option. But you're supposed to use it
> for when h-squared posts porn, not for when your best friend emits a
> tin-foil-catalyzed political theory.
>
> Joking, of course, as h-squared's fb photos get nothing but Likes from
> me,

She's losing (loosing) it in her dotage.

Betty Munro

Apr 12, 2010, 5:07:14 AM4/12/10

RicodJour wrote:
> I thought he was going for alkali. But maybe it's a new wiki-aliki
> term.

You possess acidic wit.

Betty Munro

Apr 12, 2010, 5:19:20 AM4/12/10
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> Mote, eye, beam, own.

Go ! Forth.

Steven Bornfeld

Apr 12, 2010, 9:53:15 AM4/12/10

I'll have to check them out.

Steve

heather

Apr 12, 2010, 2:37:15 PM4/12/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> There is a "Report this content" option. But you're supposed to use it
> for when h-squared posts porn, not for when your best friend emits a
> tin-foil-catalyzed political theory.
>
> Joking, of course, as h-squared's fb photos get nothing but Likes from
> me,

hey!!! :)

That wasn't porn, that was a valuable, hand-signed original photograph
by Ed Vebell. that um, just also happened to be, well, hot.

I don't know a lot about him, but Vebell worked as an artist during
ww11, after being drafted. Along with pin-ups, I am interested in
artists who work during war time, but unfortunately for me and my meager
budget, so are a lot of people.

"Mr. Vebell saw the fighting at Monte Cassino from a soldier's-eye point
of view. ''At one point, there was a truce so we could pick up bodies,''
he said. As they gathered their dead, soldiers from both sides began
talking to each other, exchanging cigarettes, candy and liquor and even
inviting each other to share a meal. As far as the soldiers were
concerned ''the war could've ended right there,'' he said. "

Mr. Vebell's final war assignment was to cover the Nuremberg trials.
Confined to a press gallery, he watched through field glasses, making 90
percent of his sketches right then and there. Mr. Vebell's sketches now
belong to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington.

''Rudolf Hess kept his nose in a book,'' he said, ''and Hermann Göring
had lost so much weight he looked like a deflated parachute. Being so
young, I don't think I thought much about participating in history. To
me it was just another job.''

Michael Press

Apr 12, 2010, 4:41:59 PM4/12/10
In article
<b39f42ad-a46f-49fc...@z4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
TheCoz <cycl...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Is asphalt performance enhancing now?

--
Michael Press

ABS

Apr 12, 2010, 10:28:26 PM4/12/10
On Apr 11, 4:28 pm, Fredmaster of Brainerd <bjwei...@gmail.com> wrote:

**Snip**

> Retards,
>
> Mote, eye, beam, own.
>
> Ben

Holy cow....breathtaking, seriously, a masterpiece of understatement,
I recommend framing it.
Do you mind if I send copies of this to some of my friends?
Sincerely,
ABS

Ryan Cousineau

Apr 13, 2010, 12:12:14 AM4/13/10
In article <82h7iu...@mid.individual.net>,
heather <cle...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> >
> > There is a "Report this content" option. But you're supposed to use it
> > for when h-squared posts porn, not for when your best friend emits a
> > tin-foil-catalyzed political theory.
> >
> > Joking, of course, as h-squared's fb photos get nothing but Likes from
> > me,
> >

> hey!!! :)
>
> That wasn't porn, that was a valuable, hand-signed original photograph
> by Ed Vebell. that um, just also happened to be, well, hot.

I think I may make a new signature with this quote.

[interesting part of the post deleted without comment. That's how rbr
rolls].

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 13, 2010, 4:26:35 AM4/13/10

"heather" <cle...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Mr. Vebell saw the fighting at Monte Cassino from a soldier's-eye point
> of view. ''At one point, there was a truce so we could pick up bodies,''
> he said. As they gathered their dead, soldiers from both sides began
> talking to each other, exchanging cigarettes, candy and liquor and even
> inviting each other to share a meal. As far as the soldiers were concerned
> ''the war could've ended right there,'' he said. "

Dumbass -

Do you have a link to this story?

As an aside, check out the Aldous Huxley quote on facebook.

thanks,

Fred. presented by Gringioni.

Betty Munro

Apr 13, 2010, 4:24:02 AM4/13/10
ABS wrote:
> Do you mind if I send copies of this to some of my friends?

rbr operates under a BSD license.

Steve Freides

Apr 13, 2010, 3:11:22 PM4/13/10
ABS wrote:
> On Apr 11, 4:28 pm, Fredmaster of Brainerd <bjwei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> **Snip**
>
>> Retards,
>>
>> Mote, eye, beam, own.
>>
>> Ben
>
> Holy cow....breathtaking, seriously, a masterpiece of understatement,
> I recommend framing it.

It does require a Christian frame of reference - that's a strike against
it, IMHO.

-S-

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Apr 13, 2010, 5:47:37 PM4/13/10

Christians are easy to frame, they even
carry their own wood.

Ben

heather

Apr 13, 2010, 6:46:01 PM4/13/10

I got the quote from the seller of the photograph (on eBay), but I went
and found it for you, even though that restraining order is still in
effect...
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/11/nyregion/squinting-drawing-and-never-forgetting.html?scp=1&sq=vebell&st=cse

yes, I like your quote, and the Eisenhower one too- I hate war too. (I
know, duh, who doesn't, but still, I do hate it.)

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 14, 2010, 2:28:01 AM4/14/10

> I got the quote from the seller of the photograph (on eBay), but I went
> and found it for you, even though that restraining order is still in
> effect...
> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/11/nyregion/squinting-drawing-and-never-forgetting.html?scp=1&sq=vebell&st=cse
>
> yes, I like your quote, and the Eisenhower one too- I hate war too. (I
> know, duh, who doesn't, but still, I do hate it.)

Dumbass -

Eisenhower quotes are awesome to use against the Chickenhawks. It's not like
they can claim that he's some raving liberal. His credentials are
impeccable.

I wish I would've known about this one before the start of the Iraq War.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even listen
to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing." President
Dwight David Eisenhower, former commander in chief of the Allied Forces,
WWII - Presidential news conference, 11 August 1954

H. Fred Kveck

Apr 14, 2010, 3:40:38 AM4/14/10
In article <hq3nau$6mv$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

That is a good quote. But Eisenhower, in spite of his credentials, is criticized
by so-called conservatives. Actually, anyone can be criticized by them, no matter
their credentials. Example: the Texas school board recently decided that Thomas
Jefferson was no longer important enough to include in their history books.

Betty Munro

Apr 14, 2010, 4:44:38 AM4/14/10
H. Fred Kveck wrote:
> That is a good quote. But Eisenhower, in spite of his credentials, is criticized
> by so-called conservatives. Actually, anyone can be criticized by them, no matter
> their credentials. Example: the Texas school board recently decided that Thomas
> Jefferson was no longer important enough to include in their history books.

So Jefferson and evolution have something in common. We at rbr will have
to institute regime change in Texas if they do the same to our Ben Franklin.

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 14, 2010, 5:07:43 AM4/14/10

"H. Fred Kveck" <YOURh...@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote in message

>> Eisenhower quotes are awesome to use against the Chickenhawks. It's not
>> like
>> they can claim that he's some raving liberal. His credentials are
>> impeccable.
>>
>> I wish I would've known about this one before the start of the Iraq War.
>>
>> "Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even
>> listen
>> to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing." President
>> Dwight David Eisenhower, former commander in chief of the Allied Forces,
>> WWII - Presidential news conference, 11 August 1954
>
> That is a good quote. But Eisenhower, in spite of his credentials, is
> criticized
> by so-called conservatives. Actually, anyone can be criticized by them, no
> matter
> their credentials.

Dumbass -

Sure they can, but in this case, they come off looking like jackasses. How
would one of the chickenhawks know more about war than Eisenhower?

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Apr 14, 2010, 5:48:10 AM4/14/10
On Apr 14, 5:07 am, "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "H. Fred Kveck" <YOURhow...@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote in message

Dumbass,

Eisenhower fought on the same side as the Russians.
He was obviously a Commie stooge.

Sincerely,
Fred Palin

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Apr 14, 2010, 9:13:32 AM4/14/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:40:38 -0700, "H. Fred Kveck"
<YOURh...@h-SHOESbomb.com> wrote:

> That is a good quote. But Eisenhower, in spite of his credentials, is criticized
>by so-called conservatives. Actually, anyone can be criticized by them, no matter
>their credentials. Example: the Texas school board recently decided that Thomas
>Jefferson was no longer important enough to include in their history books.

Trouble reconciling his expressed views with their position that the
founding fathers were all good, dyed-in-the-wool Christians. I sent
one of them a Jefferson version of the New Testament, one with the
miracles excised, and didn't even get a thank you note. What the hell,
I had a spare anyway. I just hope no one got hurt when they burned
it...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Tom Kunich

Apr 14, 2010, 12:43:10 PM4/14/10
"Fredmaster of Brainerd" <bjwe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Eisenhower fought on the same side as the Russians.
> He was obviously a Commie stooge.

Eisenhower as a commander of allied forces always remained completely
neutral. So don't pretend that what he said was the voice of a conservative.
And remember that I was alive then and listened to him on the radio and the
few TV spots he did.

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 14, 2010, 1:11:57 PM4/14/10

> "Fredmaster of Brainerd" <bjwe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Eisenhower fought on the same side as the Russians.
>> He was obviously a Commie stooge.
>
> Eisenhower as a commander of allied forces always remained completely
> neutral. So don't pretend that what he said was the voice of a
> conservative.

Dumbass -

That's what made him such a great general and leader. He wasn't an
Ideological Idiot like you.

Tom Kunich

Apr 14, 2010, 2:42:42 PM4/14/10

> That's what made him such a great general and leader. He wasn't an
> Ideological Idiot like you.

Are you aware that the government is passing a bill that will allow them to
take over ANY financial institution by claiming that it is in difficulties?

And you claim that I'm an ideologue?

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Apr 14, 2010, 3:41:29 PM4/14/10
On Apr 14, 2:42 pm, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com> wrote in messagenews:hq4t11$521$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> > That's what made him such a great general and leader. He wasn't an
> > Ideological Idiot like you.
>
> Are you aware that the government is passing a bill that  will allow them to
> take over ANY financial institution by claiming that it is in difficulties?
>
> And you claim that I'm an ideologue?

Can't we all just get along?

All I am saying is give peace a chance.

Sincerely,
V.I. Lennon

Betty Munro

Apr 14, 2010, 3:59:20 PM4/14/10

Tom Kunich wrote:
>> Are you aware that the government is passing a bill that will allow them to
>> take over ANY financial institution by claiming that it is in difficulties?

Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> All I am saying is give peace a chance.
>
> Sincerely,
> V.I. Lennon

Power to the People, right on

V.I. Lennon

K. Fred Gauss

Apr 14, 2010, 6:29:15 PM4/14/10

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of
five.

K. Marx

Tom Kunich

Apr 14, 2010, 6:51:24 PM4/14/10

> On Apr 14, 2:42 pm, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:hq4t11$521$1...@news.eternal-september.org...
> >
> > > That's what made him such a great general and leader. He wasn't an
> > > Ideological Idiot like you.
> >
> > Are you aware that the government is passing a bill that will allow them
> > take over ANY financial institution by claiming that it is in
> > difficulties?
> >
> > And you claim that I'm an ideologue?
>
> Can't we all just get along?

What I don't understand is why EVERYONE is horrified that the congress and
Obama are trying to turn this into not just a socialism but possibly even a
communism. Just LOOK at some of the laws they're trying to pass.

Here's a hint - no democratic government takes over businesses.

heather

Apr 14, 2010, 7:38:40 PM4/14/10
K. Fred Gauss wrote:

> A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of
> five.
>
> K. Marx

I looked, but all I could find was this tshirt
http://www.sharingmachine.com/prodimages/irony-joanna-133-1.jpg

and this video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWzbd_tgaEs&feature=player_profilepage&eurl=http%3A%2F%2F

will that help?

RicodJour

Apr 14, 2010, 7:43:03 PM4/14/10
On Apr 14, 12:43 pm, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Fredmaster of Brainerd" <bjwei...@gmail.com> wrote>
>

> > Eisenhower fought on the same side as the Russians.
> > He was obviously a Commie stooge.
>
> Eisenhower as a commander of allied forces always remained completely
> neutral. So don't pretend that what he said was the voice of a conservative.
> And remember that I was alive then and listened to him on the radio and the
> few TV spots he did.

Right. And your grasp of political nuances at the age of what?,
eight?, was just as perspicacious as now. Well...actually, with you,
it probably was. Sheesh.

RicodJour

Apr 14, 2010, 7:44:44 PM4/14/10
On Apr 14, 6:29 pm, "K. Fred Gauss"

<Some...@Somewhere.You.Dont.Wanna.Be> wrote:
> Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> > On Apr 14, 2:42 pm, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >> "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com> wrote

> >> Are you aware that the government is passing a bill that  will allow them to
> >> take over ANY financial institution by claiming that it is in difficulties?
>
> >> And you claim that I'm an ideologue?
>
> > Can't we all just get along?
>
> > All I am saying is give peace a chance.
>
> > Sincerely,
> > V.I. Lennon
>
> A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of
> five.
>
> K. Marx

G. Marx
And he had better facial hair.

RicodJour

Apr 14, 2010, 7:46:13 PM4/14/10
On Apr 14, 2:42 pm, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com> wrote>
>
> > That's what made him such a great general and leader. He wasn't an
> > Ideological Idiot like you.
>
> Are you aware that the government is passing a bill that  will allow them to
> take over ANY financial institution by claiming that it is in difficulties?
>
> And you claim that I'm an ideologue?

More of an anal-ogue. :)~

Michael Press

Apr 14, 2010, 9:52:50 PM4/14/10
In article <82kahb...@mid.individual.net>,
heather <cle...@comcast.net> wrote:

Make no mistake, Eisenhower was a fighter.
He happened to hold duty higher; among
other things duty meant doing what was
asked to the best of his ability.
I read a biography, and stopped when
he was made Supreme Allied Commander
because I wanted to know what he was
like, not all about the war.
He was physical and a leader.

<http://www.coldwar.org/Articles/50s/ike_eisenhower.asp>
Although only a little above average in height and
weight, Eisenhower dominated any gathering of which he
was a member. His bald pate, prominent forehead, and
broad mouth made his head seem larger than it was. He
had a wonderfully expressive face, and it was
impossible for him to conceal his feelings.

He had a sharp, orderly mind. No one thought of him as
an intellectual giant, and outside his professional
field he was not well read. He was not likely to come
up with brilliant insights. But he could look at a
problem, analyze it, see what alternatives were
available, and choose from among them. His beliefs were
those of Main Street; his personality that of the
outgoing, affable American writ large.

Almost everyone liked him. His easy manners, his
obvious concern with the welfare of others, his ability
to listen patiently--all contributed to his popularity.
Most important was his trustworthy nature. His grin,
his mannerisms, and his generosity and kindness all
exuded sincerity.

Michael Press

Tom Kunich

Apr 14, 2010, 10:00:32 PM4/14/10
"Michael Press" <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Almost everyone liked him. His easy manners, his
> obvious concern with the welfare of others, his ability
> to listen patiently--all contributed to his popularity.
> Most important was his trustworthy nature. His grin,
> his mannerisms, and his generosity and kindness all
> exuded sincerity.

He was the perfect man for the offices he held exactly when he held them.
However, you wouldn't want someone like him MOST of the time.

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 14, 2010, 11:42:14 PM4/14/10

"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Dumbass -