I don't speak much Dutch but

heather

Apr 11, 2010, 8:56:27 AM4/11/10

but watching the footage during the forest of arenburg, I did hear
"It's red, it's white, it's Danish dynamite"

I can't believe I have to stop now and go get ready for work. Argh.

Amit Ghosh

Apr 11, 2010, 10:16:45 AM4/11/10
On Apr 11, 8:56 am, heather <cle...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I can't believe I have to stop now and go get ready for work. Argh.

dumbass,

the last 40 kms or PR can often be uneventful. this happens less in
RVV.

heather

Apr 11, 2010, 10:17:36 AM4/11/10

this has to be the most dispirited chase group I've seen in awhile,
considering.

heather, going to work late goddammit

Mike Jacoubowsky

Apr 11, 2010, 10:29:17 AM4/11/10
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/e1-00000895 for video, but turn off the
audio on that feed and use this-

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/audioplayer.html for the audio.

Incredible! Fabian is looking like Museuw, when he just rode people off
his wheel.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

heather

Apr 11, 2010, 10:31:33 AM4/11/10

I'm hoping that these final 30k will be boring too! I probably won't be
able to watch the final 10k live, but I'm glad I stuck around until now :)

Yep, I considered myself super lucky to get last Sunday off (for Easter).

z, fred

Apr 11, 2010, 10:36:06 AM4/11/10

That is an association that Cancellara would likely rather avoid.

Amit Ghosh

Apr 11, 2010, 10:56:11 AM4/11/10
On Apr 11, 8:56 am, heather <cle...@comcast.net> wrote:
> but watching the footage during the forest of arenburg, I did hear
> "It's red, it's white, it's Danish dynamite"

dumbass,

i guess that's breschel - i'm not really sure why every put him as
atop favorite for RVV/PR. flecha and pozzatto are stronger, and even
they aren't the top favorites.

Amit Ghosh

Apr 11, 2010, 10:57:59 AM4/11/10
On Apr 11, 10:17 am, heather <cle...@comcast.net> wrote:
> heather wrote:

> this has to be the most dispirited chase group I've seen in awhile,
> considering.

no one is going to help boonen chase. cancellara timed his attack
right after boonen took a hard pull and dropped back.

if i were boonen i would've raced cancellara so negatively that he
would want to punch me in the parking lot after the race.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Apr 11, 2010, 10:59:58 AM4/11/10
"z, fred" <No...@not.ca> wrote in message

I don't think we can.

Amit Ghosh

Apr 11, 2010, 11:01:10 AM4/11/10
On Apr 11, 10:36 am, "z, fred" <N...@not.ca> wrote:

> > Incredible! Fabian is looking like Museuw, when he just rode people off
> > his wheel.
>

> That is an association that Cancellara would likely rather avoid.

ex-teammates.

z, fred

Apr 11, 2010, 11:03:32 AM4/11/10

That would make for an intriguing, but probably disappointing race to
watch. Yet you are absolutely correct.

heather

Apr 11, 2010, 11:10:29 AM4/11/10
Amit Ghosh wrote:

> if i were boonen i would've raced cancellara so negatively that he
> would want to punch me in the parking lot after the race.

funny! I think you're right though.

Betty Munro

Apr 11, 2010, 11:36:15 AM4/11/10
heather wrote:

> but watching the footage during the forest of arenburg, I did hear
> "It's red, it's white, it's Danish dynamite"

Now you're going to have to drop Tyler for someone who can finale from a
long way out.

Ryan Cousineau

Apr 11, 2010, 12:01:55 PM4/11/10
In article
<4e8c9e8c-b23e-4eec...@k15g2000vbd.googlegroups.com>,
Amit Ghosh <amit....@gmail.com> wrote:

Ryan Cousineau Likes This.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 11, 2010, 12:49:47 PM4/11/10

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote in message

> http://www.ustream.tv/channel/e1-00000895 for video, but turn off the
> audio on that feed and use this-
>
> http://eurosport.yahoo.com/audioplayer.html for the audio.
>
> Incredible! Fabian is looking like Museuw, when he just rode people off
> his wheel.

Dumbass -

Cancellara's stronger.

Museeuw was on a team that took the entire podium one year, 4 out of the top
6 another year, etc. Much of the competition was neutralized by the strength
of his teamates.

Cancellara's got a strong team, but at the critical points at the end of the
race he's sticking it to them on his own.

thanks,

Fred. presented by Gringioni.

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 11, 2010, 1:11:20 PM4/11/10

"Ryan Cousineau" <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> no one is going to help boonen chase. cancellara timed his attack
>> right after boonen took a hard pull and dropped back.
>>
>> if i were boonen i would've raced cancellara so negatively that he
>> would want to punch me in the parking lot after the race.
>
> Ryan Cousineau Likes This.

Dumbass -

Boonen let his ego get the best of him.

In both races (Flanders, Roubaix), his tactics begin with the assumption
that physically he is the equal of Cancellara.

Wrong.

DA74

Apr 11, 2010, 1:55:04 PM4/11/10
On Apr 11, 10:11 am, "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "Ryan Cousineau" <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote in message

This is a correct analysis. He should have has his nose in
Cancellara's ass-crack. There was no need for the heroics at the
front...all he has is fifth place to show for it. Free ride to the
velodrome and an easy sprint for the win.

You're welcome,
DA74

z, fred

Apr 11, 2010, 2:20:04 PM4/11/10

Despite Amit's delightfully visceral analysis, Fred Gringioni sort of
called it earlier this week when he recommended not laying your money on
Cancellara because he would be so marked by the peloton.

BTW, I think Sonarrat was the first in rbr to recognize Cancellara's
potential.

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 11, 2010, 3:04:29 PM4/11/10

> Despite Amit's delightfully visceral analysis, Fred Gringioni sort of
> called it earlier this week when he recommended not laying your money on
> Cancellara because he would be so marked by the peloton.

Dumbass -

My mistake was in thinking that Boonen (and others) would realize how
superior Cancellara is based upon his performance in Flanders and tailor
their tactics accordingly.

I admit it, I was wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that Boonen rode a
stupid race. It could've been much more difficult for Cancellara. If the
other riders in the final group wanted a real chance to win, Boonen
should've sat on Cancellara while the non-sprinters should've taken turns
attacking him.

Uncle Dave

Apr 11, 2010, 3:15:10 PM4/11/10

I don't see how on earth you could "mark" anyone over that course.
Even with perfect racing weather there were plenty of crashes and some
punctures too, and if anyone was good enough to stay with Cancellara I
think they would have. The beauty of P-R is that the best man always
wins, OK, except when his teammates let him under orders from the
boss...

UD

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 11, 2010, 3:34:38 PM4/11/10

"Uncle Dave" <david...@t-online.de> wrote in message

> I don't see how on earth you could "mark" anyone over that course.
> Even with perfect racing weather there were plenty of crashes and some
> punctures too, and if anyone was good enough to stay with Cancellara I
> think they would have.

Dumbass -

Boonen was doing equal work. He should've soft pedaled it. It's called
"saving your energy" so when Cancellara attacks, he's got something with
which to respond.

What are you, a Cat 5?

Amit Ghosh

Apr 11, 2010, 3:39:10 PM4/11/10
On Apr 11, 3:15 pm, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote:

> I don't see how on earth you could "mark" anyone over that course.

dumbass,

cancellara attacked on the smooth road right after boonen took a hard
pull over the coobbles and drifted back. he did the same thing in the
E3 (attacked after boonen's pull).

cancellara is just stronger, but boonen could have made the choice to
never take a pull (basically my strategy for all of 2009) and
maximized his chances if it came to a sprint.

z, fred

Apr 11, 2010, 4:36:34 PM4/11/10

"In bike racing, you lick the other rider's plate clean before eating
your own."

Betty Munro

Apr 11, 2010, 5:28:25 PM4/11/10
Amit Ghosh wrote:
> if i were boonen i would've raced cancellara so negatively that he
> would want to punch me in the parking lot after the race.

Like Hushovd.

Betty Munro

Apr 11, 2010, 5:39:26 PM4/11/10
Uncle Dave wrote:
> I don't see how on earth you could "mark" anyone over that course.
> Even with perfect racing weather there were plenty of crashes and some
> punctures too

When Cancellara attacked they were down to just the main contenders and
he could easily have sat on his wheel instead of going to the back to
have a drink. When Boonen was in front Cancellara stuck to him like a wart.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Apr 11, 2010, 6:09:25 PM4/11/10
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:15:10 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Dave
<david...@t-online.de> wrote:

>I don't see how on earth you could "mark" anyone over that course.
>Even with perfect racing weather there were plenty of crashes and some
>punctures too, and if anyone was good enough to stay with Cancellara I
>think they would have. The beauty of P-R is that the best man always
>wins, OK, except when his teammates let him under orders from the
>boss...

Well, you know, after watching that Flanders thing and now Paris
Roubaix or however they spell it, there are a few things that
Americans can help those Europeans with.

1) First of all, it appears the roads really suck in parts of Belgian
and France. We could pave those suckers right over for them. Or put in
some nice red pavement brick. Those are like super fun on steep climbs
when it is raining.

2) Haybales. Damn, where are the officials when they set up these
courses. They need more haybales or cowbells, one or the other.

3) And you would know about the haybale problem a lot easier, but
there are way too many people at these races. And this is where
American promoters can really help out. Give the average American
promoter a couple of years and all those dangerous crowds waving flags
and punching the air around the riders would be gone. History like
Waterloo. The only 'crowd' is what we call the 'pits'. Like the
average race in the U.S.

Just pointing out that these 'classics' could be improved with a
little good ol' American know how.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

DA74

Apr 11, 2010, 6:16:03 PM4/11/10

Aside from the ego Henry mentioned, Boonen is all about brute force.
He's a fucking Geico caveman on a bike. Now that the shine is coming
off of him he either needs to ramp up the protocols or get smarter.

You're Welcome,
DA74

heather

Apr 11, 2010, 6:59:51 PM4/11/10

Does Cancellara come with free alien lube?

if anyone hasn't seen yet, the attack-
http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/MG_sporzatips/MG_ParijsRoubaix/1.756802

and can anyone translate briefly what Boonen says here? apparently he is
gefrustreerd. I find that humorous, it's just such a great word when you
don't actually speak dutch :) I feel bad for him too, even if that bit
made me laugh...
http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/MG_sporzatips/MG_ParijsRoubaix/1.757118

Anton Berlin

Apr 11, 2010, 8:38:06 PM4/11/10
Heather,

Try getting a small chicken bone lodged in your throat, should sound
like fluentD Dutch.

Mexican Low Rider Mafia

Apr 11, 2010, 9:21:13 PM4/11/10

"heather" <cle...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Tom Boonen: "Ontgoocheld en gefrustreerd"

Disillusioned and frustrated

heather

Apr 11, 2010, 9:55:40 PM4/11/10

what does he say inside the video? (do you speak dutch? c'mon, help me
out here, man)

Henry

Apr 11, 2010, 11:35:09 PM4/11/10
On Apr 12, 10:09 am, cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:15:10 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Dave

snogfest hosebeast likes this

what about the marketing possibilities ? dolls and other toys ? uhh...
struggling here... hotdog stands (sure they have these anyway) - I
guess ultimately American promoters would have it in a big ole
stadium, with commercial breaks, "helmet and bike cam", maybe even
live commentary from racers, constant ad' breaks and replays. We'd
have to turn a blind eye to doping of course.
Lets do it!

Ryan Cousineau

Apr 11, 2010, 11:37:59 PM4/11/10
In article <hpt6gq$dv4$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

I'm wondering if Boonen et al assumed that move was just a little too
early.

Always a dangerous thought when racing the TIME TRIAL CHAMPION of THE
WORLD!!! but 50 k is 50 k.

I finally watched Cancellara's attack. It looks like for a while he was
trying to drop the neutral support motorcycle.

And nearly succeeded.

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 12, 2010, 12:06:28 AM4/12/10

"Ryan Cousineau" <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:rcousine-EE1F43.20375911042010>> Dumbass -

>> My mistake was in thinking that Boonen (and others) would realize how
>> superior Cancellara is based upon his performance in Flanders and tailor
>> their tactics accordingly.
>>
>> I admit it, I was wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that Boonen
>> rode a
>> stupid race. It could've been much more difficult for Cancellara. If the
>> other riders in the final group wanted a real chance to win, Boonen
>> should've sat on Cancellara while the non-sprinters should've taken turns
>> attacking him.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Fred. presented by Gringioni.
>
> I'm wondering if Boonen et al assumed that move was just a little too
> early.
>
> Always a dangerous thought when racing the TIME TRIAL CHAMPION of THE
> WORLD!!! but 50 k is 50 k.

Dumbass -

I thought Boonen rode really dumb from in the 10k before Cancellara's
attack.

He was at the front nearly the whole time. Check it out.

DA74

Apr 12, 2010, 12:47:14 AM4/12/10
On Apr 11, 9:06 pm, "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "Ryan Cousineau" <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Fred. presented by Gringioni.- Hide quoted text -

In the CN post-race article Tommeke states that he felt isolated
as he was without any teammates while other teams had two
and even three riders. While that may be, Cancellara
was in the same boat and just simply rode smarter.

In those minutes before Fabian took flight, Boonen rode on the
front like he was was the Lion of Flanders sans the Aranesp
from his Belgian veterinarian.

You're Welcome,
DA74

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 12, 2010, 12:51:57 AM4/12/10

"DA74" <davida...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> In the CN post-race article Tommeke states that he felt isolated
> as he was without any teammates while other teams had two
> and even three riders. While that may be, Cancellara
> was in the same boat and just simply rode smarter.
>
> In those minutes before Fabian took flight, Boonen rode on the
> front like he was was the Lion of Flanders sans the Aranesp
> from his Belgian veterinarian.

Dumbass -

Nice excuse making by Boonen.

As for the drugs: seems like the "Wizard of Paris-Roubaix" (Patrick Lefevre)
has lost his touch. Dude needs to get more creative with the team doping
protocols, just like the old days. Good riddance though: it wasn't as
entertaining when his teams had 4 or more riders in the final group.

DA74

Apr 12, 2010, 1:13:53 AM4/12/10
On Apr 11, 9:51 pm, "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "DA74" <davidasto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

True. Although the Funnel Cloud (formerly the Tornado) does get some
kudos for not giving a shit about second place though.

And btw, here's the Wizard's problem:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefevere-piles-on-the-pressure-before-the-flemish-classics

"I'm pleased that everyone thought Quick Step was weak on Wednesday
(in Dwars door Vlaanderen). But I have three million euro less in my
budget than five years ago, and that is making itself felt. I'm not a
magician." Veterinarians ain't cheap these days.

I also love in the same article how Lefevere basically called out 75%
of his team tellling them they're fucked for contracts next year if
they don't pull a rabbit out of their bib shorts soon. Devolder is on
top of that list after getting dropped by Boonen today. Oops.

You're Welcome,
DA74

Betty Munro

Apr 12, 2010, 4:51:30 AM4/12/10

Henry wrote:
> what about the marketing possibilities ? dolls and other toys ? uhh...
> struggling here... hotdog stands

Hotdogs with lots of mayonnaise.

Betty Munro

Apr 12, 2010, 4:56:01 AM4/12/10
heather wrote:
> what does he say inside the video? (do you speak dutch? c'mon, help me
> out here, man)

Flemish actually, not that there's much difference. The belgians speak
too fast for me, I only pick up every 3rd word, although I can mostly
read it if you can find a transcript (although babelfish will not doubt
provide a more humorous translation).

Betty Munro

Apr 12, 2010, 5:04:03 AM4/12/10
heather wrote:
> Does Cancellara come with free alien lube?

Sorry, you'll have to settle for SportsBalm
(http://www.team-saxobank.com/sponsors.asp).

A. Dumas Fred

Apr 12, 2010, 7:52:43 AM4/12/10
Op 12-04-10 00:59, heather wrote:
> http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/MG_sporzatips/MG_ParijsRoubaix/1.757118

"Yeah, I said it a few times already, eh. Disillusioned? Yes, I am
disillusioned. Frustrated because at that moment ... really one moment
that I am in the back, I tried the whole race to be in the front and do
my best and then in that one moment ... I actually think he was briefed
that I was further back ... and I regret that I wasn't able to tag along
at that moment. Then I would have known after the race. If he had
dropped me, he had dropped me and I wouldn't have had any trouble with
that but now it was a bit of a [???]. I did try on the stones to catch
those guys and I brought everyone back except him and then the
cooperation was completely gone."

- And why? Why does no-one want to work? Because, well, you know you are
second but it's still 50 km with a headwind.

"I don't get it either. I tried and the rest didn't. And, well, if
you're second or 25th, that doesn't make any difference in the end."

- There were some wheelsuckers in the game.

"Yeah. It's just that ... It would have been better with 2 or 3 guys who
cooperate, then you ride back to him. The problem was there were 6 and 2
of them wouldn't work ... So yeah, the rest of them, it's like the flu
isn't it, it's highly contagious. So the cooperation never was a
cooperation. Take a turn once in a while and then 5 minutes hanging out
at the back. Sensible if it's for the win but not if there's someone up
the road. In my view, the first thing you do then is try and bring him
back."

heather

Apr 12, 2010, 2:10:49 PM4/12/10

Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!

I knew it would be interesting (to me at least). I feel at least some of
his pain- sucks to make a mistake and then have to wonder "what if??"

I'm sorry to be such a Dumbass and not know the difference between
Flemish and Dutch, or more, not to realize they are separate things. I
taught myself Dutch once, but that was over 10 years ago, and I haven't
had much occasion to hear it or use it since, so thanks again :)

a stupid americaine...

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Apr 12, 2010, 7:34:54 PM4/12/10
On Apr 12, 12:06 am, "Fred K. Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "Ryan Cousineau" <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Dumbass,

Boonen was on the front because he needed to set
a high pace to deter an attack by BIG GEORGE.

Fredmaster Ben

A. Dumas Fred

Apr 12, 2010, 11:07:50 PM4/12/10
Op 12-04-10 20:10, heather wrote:
> I'm sorry to be such a Dumbass and not know the difference between
> Flemish and Dutch

Flemish is just a dialect of Dutch. The official language of Flanders is
Dutch. Flemish as spoken on TV (like this) is perfectly understandable
to all Dutch speakers.

Henry

Apr 13, 2010, 1:56:21 AM4/13/10

just like American is a dialect of English

Betty Munro

Apr 13, 2010, 4:30:31 AM4/13/10
Henry wrote:
> just like American is a dialect of English

Flemish is a lot more understandable to Dutch speakers than some
American dialects are to civilized english speakers.

Henry

Apr 13, 2010, 6:49:34 PM4/13/10

I found a couple of UK accents an earful - Newcastle and York. Argh!

Ryan Cousineau

Apr 14, 2010, 3:40:19 AM4/14/10
In article <7mmd97-...@donald.homeip.net>,
Betty Munro <no...@mailinator.com> wrote:

The English routinely subtitle the Scots. And not just to piss them off.

Ryan Cousineau

Apr 14, 2010, 3:42:52 AM4/14/10
In article <7mmd97-...@donald.homeip.net>,
Betty Munro <no...@mailinator.com> wrote:

Oh yeah, and that also reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Ef5Aob4cE

A. Dumas Fred

Apr 14, 2010, 7:47:20 AM4/14/10
Op 14-04-10 9:42, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Ef5Aob4cE

"This isn't real. Right?" Ha ha.

Fred on a stick

Apr 14, 2010, 11:37:32 AM4/14/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

>> Henry wrote:
>>> just like American is a dialect of English
>>
>> Flemish is a lot more understandable to Dutch speakers than some
>> American dialects are to civilized english speakers.
>
> The English routinely subtitle the Scots. And not just to piss them
> off.

The French subtitle Quebecois.

Barry

Apr 14, 2010, 12:47:34 PM4/14/10
>> The English routinely subtitle the Scots. And not just to piss them
>> off.

Try listening to Graeme Obree:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/8570091.stm

Frederick the Great

Apr 14, 2010, 9:33:36 PM4/14/10
In article <hq4nfu$ucq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

That _is_ to twit them.

Watching TV in Hong Kong with two sets of subtitles:
English and somebody's ideograms.

--
Old Fritz

Frederick the Great

Apr 14, 2010, 9:33:54 PM4/14/10
In article
<001b964f-31e9-4cb2...@8g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
Henry <snogfest_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

And Lancaster.

--
Old Fritz

Bob Martin

Apr 15, 2010, 1:25:26 AM4/15/10
in 312455 20100414 084019 Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>In article <7mmd97-...@donald.homeip.net>,
>Betty Munro <no...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>> Henry wrote:
>> > just like American is a dialect of English
>>
>> Flemish is a lot more understandable to Dutch speakers than some
>> American dialects are to civilized english speakers.
>
>The English routinely subtitle the Scots. And not just to piss them off.

My sons can't follow Rab C Nesbitt without subtitles.
(for the deprived, Rab has a strong Glasgow accent.)