there's no problem here

1 view

David Padgham

Mar 21, 2010, 10:25:54 PM3/21/10

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 22, 2010, 4:45:49 AM3/22/10
David Padgham wrote:

Dumbass,

Radio Shit already announced they were going to ride the Tour of California like
2 months ago, so why would they get an invite from the Giro?

Magilla

David Padgham

Mar 22, 2010, 8:51:14 AM3/22/10
On Mar 22, 4:45 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:
> David Padgham wrote:
> > who needs the shack ...
>
> >  http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radioshack-not-invited-to-2010-giro-d...

> > -d-
>
> Dumbass,
>
> Radio Shit already announced they were going to ride the Tour of California like
> 2 months ago, so why would they get an invite from the Giro?
>
> Magilla

thanks for the big D dumbass there, bro ...

*glares at all the haters in rbr*

--D-y

Mar 22, 2010, 5:35:26 PM3/22/10
On Mar 21, 9:25 pm, David Padgham <david.padg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> who needs the shack ...

Who needs the Giro?
--D-y

Amit Ghosh

Mar 22, 2010, 6:29:23 PM3/22/10
On Mar 22, 4:45 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:

> Dumbass,
>
> Radio Shit already announced they were going to ride the Tour of California like
> 2 months ago, so why would they get an invite from the Giro?

dumbass,

a protour team has 25 riders, what do the other 17 do while 8 ride the
tour of california ?

William Fred

Mar 22, 2010, 9:32:09 PM3/22/10
Amit Ghosh <amit....@gmail.com> wrote in

Use those three weeks to stockpile another bag in the blue cooler?

--
Bill Asher

Fred Flintstein

Mar 22, 2010, 9:43:32 PM3/22/10

Given that there's only one on the team that anyone gives a
shit about I guess if anyone cared they'd have gotten an
invite to the Giro.

Fred Flintstein

Scott

Mar 23, 2010, 12:25:57 AM3/23/10

Dumbass,

Not all 25 riders are capable of making up a grand tour team. Just
'cause they aren't riding the ToC doesn't mean they could go ride the
Giro.

Are you sure you know anything about cycling?

Amit Ghosh

Mar 23, 2010, 5:01:08 AM3/23/10
On Mar 23, 12:25 am, Scott <hendricks_sc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dumbass,
>
> Not all 25 riders are capable of making up a grand tour team.

then why are they on a protour team ?

Betty Munro

Mar 23, 2010, 4:57:45 AM3/23/10
Amit Ghosh wrote:
> a protour team has 25 riders, what do the other 17 do while 8 ride the
> tour of california ?

Vacation in New Italy ?

A. Dumas Fred

Mar 23, 2010, 6:20:15 AM3/23/10

Because they aren't.

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 23, 2010, 6:35:31 AM3/23/10
Amit Ghosh wrote:

Pro Tour team rarely contest big races simultaneously. Most of those riders on the
roster of Pro Tour teams are there to meet the U27 age requirement or fulfill some
other act of patronization in the industry (i.e. hiring a Japanese rider if your
sponsor is Shimano). Many of those guys ride under the radar the entire season or
never ride at all.

Pro Tour teams generally only have enough support staff for one race - mechanics,
soigneurs, etc. Plus, what is the point of racing a race if you're not there to
win? The RCS doesn't want to invite teams who are there just for training.

Thanks,

Magilla

A. Dumas Fred

Mar 23, 2010, 8:25:10 AM3/23/10
Magilla Gorilla wrote:
> Pro Tour team rarely contest big races simultaneously. Most of those riders on the
> roster of Pro Tour teams are there to meet the U27 age requirement or fulfill some
> other act of patronization in the industry (i.e. hiring a Japanese rider if your
> sponsor is Shimano). Many of those guys ride under the radar the entire season or
> never ride at all.
>
> Pro Tour teams generally only have enough support staff for one race - mechanics,
> soigneurs, etc. Plus, what is the point of racing a race if you're not there to
> win? The RCS doesn't want to invite teams who are there just for training.

Jeez, will just anybody post as Magilla these days? Shack isn't ProTour.

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 23, 2010, 8:44:59 AM3/23/10
"A. Dumas Fred" wrote:

Dickface,

Radio Shit is Pro Tour,

Thanks,

Magilla

Fred Flintstein

Mar 23, 2010, 9:26:40 AM3/23/10
Magilla Gorilla wrote:
> Plus, what is the point of racing a race if you're not there to
> win? The RCS doesn't want to invite teams who are there just for training.

Yes, this is their point. If you have to choose between a
foreign team that is there for training and will otherwise
be invisible or a domestic team that is hungry for
attention, who do you take?

I'll bet no one in Italy has to think too hard about that
one.

Fred Flintstein

Scott

Mar 23, 2010, 10:42:49 AM3/23/10

I'm pretty sure that if you look at the rosters of any protour team,
you'll find that quite a few of the riders aren't really capable of a
good showing at a grand tour. They may be able to ride the distance
every day, but they might not make the time cut. Don't believe it,
then ask why anyone ever fails to make the time cut, considering that
they are one of the top riders on the team as evidence by being
selected for the race in the first place.

There are riders on the teams selected for various jobs. Some are
selected for a mostly domestic schedule. Some are much younger than
others, selected for their potential and not expected to do much
except 'develop' for the future.

So, back to my earlier question - are you sure you know anything about
cycling?

Amit Ghosh

Mar 23, 2010, 12:14:54 PM3/23/10
On Mar 23, 6:35 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:

> Pro Tour team rarely contest big races simultaneously.

they do it all the time

> Most of those riders on the
> roster of Pro Tour teams are there to meet the U27 age requirement

there's no such requirement

> Pro Tour teams generally only have enough support staff for one race - mechanics,
> soigneurs, etc.

protour teams race two stage races at the same time all the time,
sometimes even three.

> Plus, what is the point of racing a race if you're not there to
> win?

that's another matter entirely.

Scott

Mar 23, 2010, 12:44:25 PM3/23/10

The under 28 requirement applies to Continental teams, not ProTour
teams.

A. Dumas Fred

Mar 23, 2010, 4:06:06 PM3/23/10
Magilla Gorilla wrote:
> Radio Shit is Pro Tour,

Jesus Fucking Christ. Yes, they are. Even pretend Magillas know better
than me.

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 23, 2010, 5:17:55 PM3/23/10
Amit Ghosh wrote:

> On Mar 23, 6:35 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:
>

> > Pro Tour team rarely contest big races simultaneously.
>
> they do it all the time

The UCI generally doesn't schedule big races on top of each other. I'm surprised they
allowed the Tour of California to be on top of the Giro. I can assure you that likely
won't happen next year.

> > Most of those riders on the
> > roster of Pro Tour teams are there to meet the U27 age requirement
>
> there's no such requirement

Right, the age requirement is just for Pro Continental and Continental teams. Pro
Tour teams have a minimum salary requirement of 30,000 and 24,000 Euros for each rider
and neo, respectively.

> > Pro Tour teams generally only have enough support staff for one race - mechanics,
> > soigneurs, etc.
>
> protour teams race two stage races at the same time all the time,
> sometimes even three.

Not really.

Magilla

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 23, 2010, 5:18:45 PM3/23/10
Scott wrote:

It also applis to women's teams.

Magilla

H. Fred Kveck

Mar 23, 2010, 7:06:08 PM3/23/10
In article <4BA93003...@sandiegozoo.org>,
Magilla Gorilla <m.go...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:

> Amit Ghosh wrote:
>
> > On Mar 23, 6:35 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:
> >

> > > Pro Tour team rarely contest big races simultaneously.
> >
> > they do it all the time
>
> The UCI generally doesn't schedule big races on top of each other. I'm
> surprised they allowed the Tour of California to be on top of the Giro. I
> can assure you that likely won't happen next year.

I'm surprised this slipped past you: that could tell you that the UCI doesn't
think the ToC is that big a race.

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 23, 2010, 7:50:03 PM3/23/10
"H. Fred Kveck" wrote:

Messick picked the date and McQuaid is too much of a pussy to deny him that date.
The UCI in fact thinks the Tour of California ia a huge race and the largest race
outside of Europe.

Magilla

Kyle Legate

Mar 24, 2010, 2:20:59 AM3/24/10
Magilla Gorilla wrote:

> Messick picked the date and McQuaid is too much of a pussy to deny him that date.
> The UCI in fact thinks the Tour of California ia a huge race and the largest race
> outside of Europe.

Tour Down Under attracts a higher calibre of rider. I'd say it's bigger.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 24, 2010, 8:53:24 AM3/24/10
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 07:20:59 +0100, Kyle Legate
<legat...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Tour Down Under attracts a higher calibre of rider. I'd say it's bigger.

Tends to have a fair number of big names that ride in the pack while
the racing goes to top locals and a few Pro Tour names. As a place to
get autographs, I think you may be right, but it seems to be an odd
mix for a race. There was one time that one group of riders seem to
completely ignore a group taking off the front and it had nothing to
do with tactics and more to do with they weren't really in the race to
race, just train.

Tour Down Under needs a special score card: Here to Race, Here to Race
Occasionally but not mess up my overall training, and Here to Train.
True of almost anything early in the season, but it is pretty obvious
in some of the camera shots that the understanding extends to everyone
in the race organization, from riders to officials.

Some day an official is going to relegate a Here to Train guy for
sprinting for a finish.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 24, 2010, 1:39:32 PM3/24/10
Kyle Legate wrote:

Tour Down Under is not on Eurosport and doesn't get 2.3 million spectators. Plus,
there are no epic climbs in Aussieworld, so that race will always be a pile of dung
raced by faggots. Whereas in the Tour of California, faggots can no longer race
since they passed Proposition 8.

Thanks,

Magilla

Kyle Legate

Mar 24, 2010, 3:32:54 PM3/24/10
Magilla Gorilla wrote:
> Kyle Legate wrote:
>
>> Magilla Gorilla wrote:
>>> Messick picked the date and McQuaid is too much of a pussy to deny him that date.
>>> The UCI in fact thinks the Tour of California ia a huge race and the largest race
>>> outside of Europe.
>>>
>> Tour Down Under attracts a higher calibre of rider. I'd say it's bigger.
>
> Tour Down Under is not on Eurosport and doesn't get 2.3 million spectators.

Yes it is and it gets 2.4 million spectators, so there.

Amit Ghosh

Mar 24, 2010, 3:58:04 PM3/24/10
On Mar 23, 7:50 pm, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:

> >    I'm surprised this slipped past you: that could tell you that the UCI doesn't
> > think the ToC is that big a race.
>
> Messick picked the date and McQuaid is too much of a pussy to deny him that date.
> The UCI in fact thinks the Tour of California ia a huge race and the largest race
> outside of Europe.

dumbass,

as an organizer you have all the power. after all you are finding the
funds to put on the race, the sponsors and making any media
arrangements. your only obligation is to meet some standards, like
safety or maximum stage lengths and whatnot and guaranteeing the min.
prize list.

all the riders have to do is show up 15 mins before the start and ride
for a couple hours.

what's the gov. body going to do? actually turn away people who want
to put on a race ?

Scott

Mar 24, 2010, 4:21:17 PM3/24/10

So, please tell us again, what do you know about cycling?

Betty Munro

Mar 25, 2010, 4:19:30 AM3/25/10
Scott wrote:
> So, please tell us again, what do you know about cycling?

I didn't know the Kunich bot was capable of assimilation.

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 25, 2010, 7:53:55 AM3/25/10
Kyle Legate wrote:

There's no epic climbs in Australia, so it's not a real stage race. It's basically
Superweek.

Thanks,

Magilla

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 25, 2010, 8:03:44 AM3/25/10
Amit Ghosh wrote:

Whenever the UCI sanctions a race, they are in fact 'renting' out the UCI calendar for
any given day(s)/week(s) and they've been known to deny a particular date if it
conflicts with another big race. When Lance doesn't show up to the Giro this year, it
basically means Universal Sports won't pay millions for the rights (or if their deal
last year with the RCS was multi-year they are now very pissed off). I can assure you
the RCS is just as pissed off as Universal Sports, which does not televise the Tour of
California.

Thanks,

Magilla

Kyle Legate

Mar 25, 2010, 5:54:07 PM3/25/10
It's still the largest race outside of Europe.

Scott

Mar 25, 2010, 7:46:45 PM3/25/10

How are you defining 'largest'? I'd think some of the stage races in
South America would be a pretty big deal, but don't know how they're
compared to TDU or ToC, size-wise.

Carl Sundquist

Mar 25, 2010, 11:03:42 PM3/25/10
> compared to TDU or ToC, size-wise.- Hide quoted text -

Also Tour du Faso & Tour of Qinghai Lake

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 26, 2010, 7:34:21 AM3/26/10
Kyle Legate wrote:

Nobody takes it seriously - it's a training race. Stop acting like a drunk old man
talking about how great the 1950's were.

Magilla

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 26, 2010, 7:36:27 AM3/26/10
Carl Sundquist wrote:

Fucking Langkawi too.

Magilla

Carl Sundquist

Mar 26, 2010, 8:35:36 AM3/26/10
> Magilla- Hide quoted text -

Langkawi - 7 stages

Cali - 8 stages

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 26, 2010, 8:52:29 AM3/26/10
Carl Sundquist wrote:

O-Carl-Wan,

I don't think it's a good metric to use number of stages to define how large a stage race is. I
think TV and prize money are far more important variables.

Magilla

Carl Sundquist

Mar 26, 2010, 10:56:58 PM3/26/10

What is the prize money for Cali? For Langkawi?

> Magilla- Hide quoted text -

And you still want to include Langkawi?

Scott

Mar 27, 2010, 12:42:03 AM3/27/10

The obvious metric is, 'how many stages has TD won?', or 'has TD won
the overall?'

The Tour de Georgia, Tour of Lankawi, and Tour of Qinghai Lake are
equal, and on par with the Tour of Austria and the Redlands Classic.

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 27, 2010, 5:58:49 AM3/27/10
Carl Sundquist wrote:

Langkawi use to be on Versus. When the hell was Down Under ever on Versus? But again, I go back to
the fact that Down Under are just a bunch of flat stages. Meaningless nonsense. Parade routes.
You'll never see an epic battle in that race because it's basically Superweek. But that's not even
correct because Superweek has more stages and I'm pretty sure it pays more.

Don't you remember how McKinley, Cheetah, and Zanoli's punching bag use to rake in the coin at crits?

Magilla

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 27, 2010, 6:07:21 AM3/27/10
Scott wrote:

A stage race without major climbs is like a chick without a vagina. The Tour Down Under is a ladyboy
race. And in case you haven't noticed, Redlands is now a ladyboy race. Ina Teutenberg won last year,
and she will likely win this year's too.

Take care,

Magilla

Kyle Legate

Mar 28, 2010, 9:44:24 AM3/28/10
Magilla Gorilla wrote:

> Langkawi use to be on Versus. When the hell was Down Under ever on Versus? But again, I go back to
> the fact that Down Under are just a bunch of flat stages. Meaningless nonsense. Parade routes.
> You'll never see an epic battle in that race because it's basically Superweek.

By that metric Beauce is bigger than TDU.
Message has been deleted

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 28, 2010, 7:01:58 PM3/28/10
Kyle Legate wrote:

Bitche doesn't attract UCI teams from all over the world.

Magilla

Scott

Mar 28, 2010, 8:08:41 PM3/28/10

Has TD won it yet?

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 28, 2010, 11:15:01 PM3/28/10
Scott wrote:

He was on the verge of winning it one year and then came down with a "stomach virus" and parasites and had
to withdraw.

Magilla