Road ID - Stupidiest idea ever ?

1 view

Anton Berlin

Jun 13, 2010, 3:20:32 PM6/13/10
Road ID has to be the stupidiest idea ever.

If a guy can talk he will either tell you to call 911 or "Fuck off, I
am not a cunt and can finish the ride with my bloody and broken (name
the major organ or limb) or to call someone to come pick him up.

If he can't talk ( the 'genius' behind Road ID ) because he's
unconscious.... the morons standing around your lifeless bodies should
then consult your wrist over the next 5 minutes to see who they should
call ?

In that case you don't need a Road ID, just smarter riding buddies.

But I do think I'd kick anyone in the balls that was actually wearing
one.

Freddest Air

Jun 13, 2010, 4:03:55 PM6/13/10

Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Road ID has to be the stupidiest idea ever.
>
>But I do think I'd kick anyone in the balls that was actually wearing
>one.

Well then, you should start your campaign with their little bald moby-like
doping-ass motherfucker of a spokesman who is making 5 figures to pimp those
hospital bands.

Anton Berlin

Jun 13, 2010, 4:28:55 PM6/13/10
On Jun 13, 3:03 pm, "Freddest Air" <fredd...@nowhere.calm> wrote:

Didn't he have one removed to be more like Lance?

Brad Anders

Jun 14, 2010, 12:01:34 PM6/14/10

I ride alone a lot, I have the dogtag one. I want to make sure my wife
knows where to claim the body.

Brad Anders

kirby

Jun 14, 2010, 3:37:16 PM6/14/10

Maybe you and your riding buddies are a little more "buddy buddy" than
me and mine. I ride with several different groups of people and most
people I ride with don't know my address or phone #. I kind of like
it that way. We are on a need to know basis. If they need to know,
they can look at my hospital band.

Anton Berlin

Jun 14, 2010, 8:21:00 PM6/14/10

You really want someone to spend time reading your wrist and calling a
toll free number while they delay calling 911?

Bob Roll, I understand why he might think this is a good idea, he
raced and crashed a lot before there were mandatory helmets, but
people like you that are able to type on the interwebs?

Ken Prager

Jun 15, 2010, 8:16:02 AM6/15/10
In article
<3379f1e8-ec6f-4a04...@32g2000prq.googlegroups.com>,
Brad Anders <pban...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have the name and address of an ex-schoolmate on mine. I use it for
my ID when cops stop me for blowing through stops...

Anton Berlin

Jun 15, 2010, 10:28:31 AM6/15/10
On Jun 15, 7:16 am, Ken Prager <pra...@ieee.org> wrote:
> In article
> <3379f1e8-ec6f-4a04-82fa-83173230d...@32g2000prq.googlegroups.com>,
> my ID when cops stop me for blowing through stops...- Hide quoted text -

I sometimes take the business cards of others and stick them in DD
bras at Macy's with a note saying "If this bra fits you, please call
me"

Ryan Cousineau

Jun 15, 2010, 12:40:44 PM6/15/10

The following is a true story:

We had a cyclocross ride a year or two back that got really spirited,
and well, apparently if you do a full sprint in a grass park, you
should scout the field for invisible green-on-green ditches. Two out
of three riders made it across without serious injury. The third guy
came up short on hopping the ditch, broke his fork, fell down, and hit
his head.

When he sat up, he couldn't, um, remember his own phone number. We
didn't know how to call his wife to meet him at the hospital.

Because we were wildly clever nerds, and all from the same club, the
solution was to log into the club website on an iPhone and look up his
contact info on our internal member list.

I don't have a RoadID, but I usually ride with my wallet, or at least
a phone with an ICE number in it. Not perfect, but I think carrying
emergency contact info is prudent.

Brad Anders

Jun 15, 2010, 1:46:01 PM6/15/10

Reminds me of a funny story. I did a MTB ride years ago with Karen
Brems, who at that time was World Champion in the ITT. Now, the fact
that she was WC didn't deter me from using my infinite cat 3
experience to show her how to descend on the dirt ("watch me on this
part and learn"). Of course, I splattered at high speed when my front
wheel washed out, and I hit my head hard on the side as I fell.

We'd just passed some hikers, I didn't want them gawking at me lying
on the trail, I got up and quickly went to the bottom of the trail.

Karen: Are you OK?
Brad: Yeah, I'm fine. Where are we?
Karen: On the top of Page Mill. Do you know how we got here?
Brad: Nope. Did we ride our bikes?

I don't think a RoadID would have helped me much here. Slowly, over
the next 30 minutes, it all came back to me, as we made our way back.
The cracked ribs I'd gotten when I fell, that I didn't notice until a
couple of hours after I got back home, took a lot longer to go away.

Brad Anders

Anton Berlin

Jun 15, 2010, 1:49:37 PM6/15/10
> emergency contact info is prudent.- Hide quoted text -

I keep an expired DL in my back pocket or seat bag, even has my organ
donor info in case I really get nailed.

Betty

Jun 15, 2010, 3:25:03 PM6/15/10
Anton Berlin wrote:
> I keep an expired DL in my back pocket or seat bag, even has my organ
> donor info in case I really get nailed.

Like when Liz's saves up enough to put out a contract.

A. Dumas

Jun 15, 2010, 4:28:02 PM6/15/10
Ken Prager wrote:
> I have the name and address of an ex-schoolmate on mine. I use it for
> my ID when cops stop me for blowing through stops...

I actually did that, too, once. Back when I was 17.

Dear Crabby

Jun 15, 2010, 11:11:29 PM6/15/10
On 6/14/10 5:21 PM, in article
2fc8b58e-9a19-4989...@k39g2000yqb.googlegroups.com, "Anton
Berlin" <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

You guys are being real DUMBASSES! It is not for your buddies! It is so the
medics know who YOU ARE! Many accidents happen when you are commuting ALONE!
And most people who get hit by cars DO NOT know the driver, so they are no
help!

Stupid is as stupid does........

Yes, many people, like me, just carry ID. This is like buying a seat bag to
carry your spare and patch kit instead of just putting it in your jersey
pocket like many do. It is just a more costlier way to accomplish the same
thing.

Dear Crabby

Jun 15, 2010, 11:13:51 PM6/15/10
On 6/15/10 9:40 AM, in article
842316d4-09d6-4adc...@11g2000prv.googlegroups.com, "Ryan
Cousineau" <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote:

What does ICE have to do with this? Are you an illegal..

z, fred

Jun 15, 2010, 11:23:09 PM6/15/10

Yeah! Go back to Canada!

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jun 16, 2010, 2:17:11 AM6/16/10
On Jun 15, 8:11 pm, Dear Crabby <crabbycycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/14/10 5:21 PM, in article
> 2fc8b58e-9a19-4989-a45a-9a532bfa7...@k39g2000yqb.googlegroups.com, "Anton

Hi, Steve!

Fredmaster Ben

P.S. You don't really need to carry ID, you should just
carry some exclamation points and everyone will know
who you are.

Betty

Jun 16, 2010, 7:44:19 AM6/16/10
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> P.S. You don't really need to carry ID, you should just
> carry some exclamation points and everyone will know
> who you are.

Bot recognition technology will now have to incorporate fuzzy
punctuation patterns.

Ryan Cousineau

Jun 17, 2010, 12:28:35 PM6/17/10
On Jun 15, 8:23 pm, "z, fred" <N...@not.ca> wrote:
> Dear Crabby wrote:
> > On 6/15/10 9:40 AM, in article
> > 842316d4-09d6-4adc-b0dd-ddad2601f...@11g2000prv.googlegroups.com, "Ryan

Maybe I was a snowback, maybe I wasn't. But I couldn't abide your
ridiculous anti-monarchist attitudes, so I came home.