Bartoli on Spinergy

Brian Roth

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
This months VeloNews had an intersting question and answer
from Bartoli on his accedent.

VeloNews asked if it was a Spinergy wheel that was involved
in the accedent. Bartoli responded yes that it was and
his kneecap was cut in half "like a knife" as well as the
tendon.

A pretty bold stance for VeloNews to both beg the question and
then print that about one of thier sponsors.

Brian

Andrew Albright

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Brian Roth (brian_...@yahoo.com) wrote:

: A pretty bold stance for VeloNews to both beg the question and

: then print that about one of thier sponsors.

Sponsor of who?

Brian Roth

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

I meant to say advertizer.

brian

Brian Roth

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

I really meant to say advertiser.

Brian

Daniel Connelly

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
This group dumps on VeloNews a lot, but I think this says
a lot about their integrity.

Dan

Brian Roth wrote:
> A pretty bold stance for VeloNews to both beg the question and

> then print that about one of (their advertisers).

Pecusick

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
I don't know that it says anything about their integrity. Bartoli has blamed
his knee on Spinergy from the beginning. Could it have possibly been a
chainring ? We have done extensive testing for the UCI to demonstrate the
safety of the Rev -X wheels. They have agreed with our results and declared the
wheels legal for competition. One of our test engineers accidently put his hand
in a very fast spinning Rev-X wheel and suffered only bruises. The fact is that
the leading or trailing edge of the Rev-X wheel is not Sharp enough to cut
through skin by falling on it, never mind slicing to the bone as Bartoli
claims. I am dissapointed that Velonews would print this as fact. Last year at
the tour when Tyler Hamilton and Jonathan Vaughters were involved in a crash
supposedly caused by Rolf Wheel failures, Velonews put the story on their
website and even went as far as to say that the Postal riders would not use the
wheels because of safety concerns. The next day the story miraculously
dissapeared from the site. Maybe some pressure from an advertiser? All I am
saying is that when a Pro Racer on a team no longer sponsored by "brand X
wheels" but still sponsored by "brand y components" blames his injuries on the
wheels rather than the chainring, I am skeptical and would Velonews print the
story if it was "did you cut yourself on a Shimano or Campy chainring?"

Brian Roth

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00

You can look at the integrity question both ways; that they are
reporting that it was a Spinergy wheel that injured Bartoli without
regard to whether they are an advertiser or not (pro) or
that they are going out of their way to give a major advertiser
bad press (con).

What stuck me was how pointed the question was: "Is it true
that it was a spinergy wheel that caused your injury?"

Another sidebar: Has anyone seen Mapei riders on rev-x wheels
since the accedent?

Brian

John Verheul

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <20000324131810...@ng-cp1.aol.com>,

pecu...@aol.com (Pecusick) wrote:
> I don't know that it says anything about their integrity. Bartoli has
blamed
> his knee on Spinergy from the beginning. Could it have possibly been a
> chainring ? We have done extensive testing for the UCI to demonstrate
the
> safety of the Rev -X wheels.

Can we assume you work for Spinergy?

> They have agreed with our results and declared the
> wheels legal for competition. One of our test engineers accidently
put his hand
> in a very fast spinning Rev-X wheel and suffered only bruises.

Sure, a free spinning wheel has little force behind it. I can stop a
free spinning wheel with my finger. Try that same trick on a wheel
going just 25mph, in contact with the road, and with a 70kg rider on
the bike. With enough force behind it, an object doesn't have to be
very sharp to cut something.

> The fact is that
> the leading or trailing edge of the Rev-X wheel is not Sharp enough
to cut
> through skin by falling on it, never mind slicing to the bone as
Bartoli
> claims.

I have a scar on my own knee from a crash several years ago that
indicates you are wrong.

I have no objection to riders using Spinergys, but your assertion that
they aren't sharp enough to cut skin is ludicrous to me.

I agree with you on the topic of VN's integrity, this really doesn't
tell me anything either way. Bartoli has always blamed the wheel, and
it's not new news to anyone (except perhaps you and the UCI) that
Spinergy Rev-X wheels have sharp edges.

John Verheul

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Frazer Worley

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Pecusick wrote:

> I don't know that it says anything about their integrity. Bartoli has blamed
> his knee on Spinergy from the beginning. Could it have possibly been a
> chainring ?

Come on .... I hardly think a wound cause by a chainring could be confused
with one _allegedly_ caused by a Spinergy wheel.

I rammed my knuckles into a chainring recently - when changing pedals (and yes
I had a proper spanner - and no I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was
doing) ... and I was left with a most distinctive and uncomfortable set of
puncture marks.

-F

Phone: +01-972-480-2845 Email: fwo...@dal.asp.ti.com
Fax: +01-972-480-3020 TI_MSGID: FJ

Address: M/S 8635, Texas Instruments,
8505 Forest Lane,
Dallas, Tx, 75243

vc_...@my-deja.com

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
In article <38DB99D5...@email.sps.mot.com>,

daniel....@mot.com wrote:
> This group dumps on VeloNews a lot, but I think this says
> a lot about their integrity.
>
> Dan

Who's integrity? RBR or VN?

VC_Slim

Ps. More VN reporting like this and I might just renew my subscription.
Not!

christopher a moyer

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
I'd be MUCH more willing to put my hand in a spinning REV-X spinning in
the frame off the ground (ie in a stand) than one connected to the road -
big difference.

Has anyone made this distinction yet?

I remember when Specialized 3-spokes first came out, and a friend of mine
thought they were dangerous cause if somebody's limb managed to get in
one, it could be broken with tremendous force. I don't know if he was
right, but it made me think...

If the REV-X were connected to the road, I would think even the not-razor
sharp edge could do a good amount of trauma and/or cutting. Without the
leverage-momentum-force (sorry, not a physicist) of the road, I don't
think much damage would happen.

-CM

Christopher Moyer

Student in Counseling Psychology Academic Advisor
Department of Educational Psychology LAS General Curriculum Center
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign Appointments: 333 4710

On 24 Mar 2000, Pecusick wrote:

> I don't know that it says anything about their integrity. Bartoli has blamed
> his knee on Spinergy from the beginning. Could it have possibly been a

> chainring ? We have done extensive testing for the UCI to demonstrate the

> safety of the Rev -X wheels. They have agreed with our results and declared the

> wheels legal for competition. One of our test engineers accidently put his hand

> in a very fast spinning Rev-X wheel and suffered only bruises. The fact is that

> the leading or trailing edge of the Rev-X wheel is not Sharp enough to cut
> through skin by falling on it, never mind slicing to the bone as Bartoli

Mark VandenBerghe

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
I cut my wrist removing a cassette from a spinergy. I was yanking on the
chain whip and when it came loose my wrist hit the spoke, got a nasty
slash. That was almost four weeks ago and I still have a scar. I'd be
surprised if they couldn't slice a knee cap.

Mark VandenBerghe
ma...@vdbprop.com

John Verheul <John.an...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> In article <20000324131810...@ng-cp1.aol.com>,

> pecu...@aol.com (Pecusick) wrote:
> > I don't know that it says anything about their integrity. Bartoli has
> blamed
> > his knee on Spinergy from the beginning. Could it have possibly been a
> > chainring ? We have done extensive testing for the UCI to demonstrate
> the
> > safety of the Rev -X wheels.
>

> Can we assume you work for Spinergy?
>

> > They have agreed with our results and declared the
> > wheels legal for competition. One of our test engineers accidently
> put his hand
> > in a very fast spinning Rev-X wheel and suffered only bruises.
>

> Sure, a free spinning wheel has little force behind it. I can stop a
> free spinning wheel with my finger. Try that same trick on a wheel
> going just 25mph, in contact with the road, and with a 70kg rider on
> the bike. With enough force behind it, an object doesn't have to be
> very sharp to cut something.
>

> > The fact is that
> > the leading or trailing edge of the Rev-X wheel is not Sharp enough
> to cut
> > through skin by falling on it, never mind slicing to the bone as
> Bartoli
> > claims.
>

> I have a scar on my own knee from a crash several years ago that
> indicates you are wrong.
>
> I have no objection to riders using Spinergys, but your assertion that
> they aren't sharp enough to cut skin is ludicrous to me.
>
> I agree with you on the topic of VN's integrity, this really doesn't
> tell me anything either way. Bartoli has always blamed the wheel, and
> it's not new news to anyone (except perhaps you and the UCI) that
> Spinergy Rev-X wheels have sharp edges.
>
> John Verheul

VELOMANKC

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
I think your comment about Mapei riders not riding Spinergys says it all; look
at tapes of last years TdF and you will rarely if ever see any of those wheels.

Scott

Luca Magnoni

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
I still have very nice marks from a big peloton crash in 95,
when I put my arm into a friend's wheel built with NORMAL
spokes... I am happy that it was not a Spinergy and that I am
used to ride much slower than the pros...

Luca

Ron Jeremy

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
David Lee Roth,

You know, I noticed that too...I was surprised they would dish (rear
wheel pun) SPINERGY. But in all fairness to Spinergy, it was a quote by
Bart Simpson.

I'm not sure that kind of wheel is the only way to get injured in the
sport like that. Bladed spokes can probably do something similar.
Zanoli riding next to you can also cause you to bleed like a stuck pig.

"Look what he did to me, GREG..."

FAIR GAME.

Ron jeremy
Chief USCF Judge Advocate

Brian Roth wrote:

> This months VeloNews had an intersting question and answer
> from Bartoli on his accedent.
>
> VeloNews asked if it was a Spinergy wheel that was involved
> in the accedent. Bartoli responded yes that it was and
> his kneecap was cut in half "like a knife" as well as the
> tendon.
>

> A pretty bold stance for VeloNews to both beg the question and

> then print that about one of thier sponsors.
>
> Brian

kiwi

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Pecusick wrote:
> I don't know that it says anything about their integrity. Bartoli has blamed
> his knee on Spinergy from the beginning. Could it have possibly been a
> chainring ? We have done extensive testing for the UCI to demonstrate the
> safety of the Rev -X wheels. They have agreed with our results and declared the

> wheels legal for competition. One of our test engineers accidently put his hand
> in a very fast spinning Rev-X wheel and suffered only bruises.

That is a completely bogus analogy. Why don't you have one
of your engineers stick his hand through one on an actual
bike with a 160 pound cyclist going 25 mph and see what it
does to someone's arm.

Ron Jeremy

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
The reason why they don't beat up on cyclists and sponsors isn't really
because they're afraid of them as much as they don't want to turn into a
tabloid publication.

Recall, they took USAC to task during the district rep FIASCO thing and
beat that whole USAC organization up pretty good. Considering USAC
controls all the $$ in the elite end of the sport (i.e. BMC), I'd say they
proved worthy by news standards.

I was a little concerned on the animosity in editorials shown towards the
BROTHERS GREWAL, but otherwise ...

The only thing that Velonews ever did that bothered me and the Jeremy
Group over here is when they got on Steve Speaks during his tragedy. But
they did print a donation thing for his family, so that made up for it in
a way.

And those advertisements of women in bras are also offensive, but we just
deal with it with support group meetings and counseling.

The next number I'm gonna do for you is from the very first album I ever
recorded with Black Sabbath....it's a number called Sweat Leaf...

Ron "OZZY' Jeremy

vc_...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <38DB99D5...@email.sps.mot.com>,
> daniel....@mot.com wrote:
> > This group dumps on VeloNews a lot, but I think this says
> > a lot about their integrity.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Who's integrity? RBR or VN?
>
> VC_Slim
>
> Ps. More VN reporting like this and I might just renew my subscription.
> Not!

John Forrest Tomlinson

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Mark VandenBerghe <ma...@vdbprop.com> wrote in message

> I cut my wrist removing a cassette from a spinergy. I was yanking on the
> chain whip and when it came loose my wrist hit the spoke, got a nasty
> slash. That was almost four weeks ago and I still have a scar. I'd be
> surprised if they couldn't slice a knee cap.

I was riding with a friend a few weeks ago and he was on Spinergies and we
were talking about that crash in the Tour where Boogerd cut his lip.

JT

Note: reply-to address is munged

http://www.jt10000.com/