Best Bike Trainer??

Bicyle Racing

Jan 14, 2004, 10:58:43 PM1/14/04
I am looking for my first indoor bike trainer for my road bike. Anyone care
to give me a suggestion? I am a triathlete and the bike is my weakest part
so I want to train hard this winter and spring and get my average speed up a
notch or two.

So far I have seen the Trek Cyclops Fluid and that looks pretty good and is
in the right price range of under $300.

hold my beer and watch this...

Jan 15, 2004, 6:07:18 AM1/15/04

"Bicyle Racing" <"spenconk"@swbell.net> wrote in message

> I am looking for my first indoor bike trainer for my road bike. Anyone
care
> to give me a suggestion? I am a triathlete and the bike is my weakest
part
> so I want to train hard this winter and spring and get my average speed up
> notch or two.

The best trainer you can get is some warm clothes.

Oh yeah, and triathalons are gay.

Thanks,
Hold My.

Tom Arsenault

Jan 15, 2004, 10:53:44 PM1/15/04
"hold my beer and watch this..." <trd...@dejazzd.com> wrote in message news:<muidna-he9T...@dejazzd.com>...

But if you live in the extreme Northeast of the country, warm clothes
are not going to cut it when the air temp is -25 and the wind chill is
-40 like it has been for almost 2 weeks there. And aside from that,
why are you such a dickhead? Did you get weened off of the teat too
early or something like that?

Thanks,
Tom

hold my beer and watch this...

Jan 16, 2004, 7:27:56 AM1/16/04

"Tom Arsenault" <gian...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> But if you live in the extreme Northeast of the country, warm clothes
> are not going to cut it when the air temp is -25 and the wind chill is
> -40 like it has been for almost 2 weeks there. And aside from that,
> why are you such a dickhead? Did you get weened off of the teat too
> early or something like that?

Sucka please,

Dressing properly, you can ride outside for extended periods when its it in
the single digits. Unless you live somewhere like Northern Vermont,
Minnesota, or the UP of Michigan, there aren't many places in the
continental US where you have to ride exclusively indoors for more than a
week due to temperature alone. Most people don't train outside in the
winter because they're not motivated to or they don't know how to dress (and
I strongly suspect Mr. Bicycle Racing falls into the latter category).

So stick it up your arsenault.

Daremo

Jan 16, 2004, 9:53:01 AM1/16/04
Something you'll learn over time ...... Tri-geeks aren't held in much
regard by road cyclists .........

But to answer your question.

Fluid trainers have more issues than their worth, stay away from them,
not to mention they are more expensive. Get a Mag trainer, preferrably
one that has an adjustment lever that can mount on the handlebars so you
can vary resistance.

Rollers are really good for form and spinning, but are a lot trickier
for any type of performance/speed work.

I live in Maryland, and it has been pretty damn cold here, I certainly
don't want to go out in 5 degree weather ........ I try to get in around
1,000 miles indoor between January and the end of March, which is a
PITA, but makes for a strong year.

Tom Arsenault

Jan 16, 2004, 1:19:24 PM1/16/04
"hold my beer and watch this..." <trd...@dejazzd.com> wrote in message news:<sZ6dnZuTRdh...@dejazzd.com>...

I completely understand dressing properly in cold weather climates. I
did live in Maine for 28 years, and spent lots of time outside in the
winter camping, hiking, ice climbing, ski racing and actually riding
the bike at some points in time. It is hard to ride on the roads when
there is salt, ice, slush, snowplows, and other maladies that await
you in the NE portion of the country. The best thing was to get
bundled up and head out into the woods on the mountain bike. Also I
was referring to their recent cold snap as of late (last week or so)
where it's been negative temps everyday. Just not smart to ride
outside in such weather. Fortuntely for me, I live in NC now, and
don't have to deal with the mess. We can ride outside almost all
year, save for a few days here and there because of shitty weather.
Trainer time is a minimum, which is a good thing.

I also understand that tri-geeks aren't well repsected around here
because of the elitist attitude some of us push forward because we're
so much better than anyone else. Give them a chance. I know a few
tri-geeks that could more than likely easily drop you in a regular
road race.

Tom

Daremo

Jan 16, 2004, 2:51:39 PM1/16/04
Hold My Beer An wrote:
> there aren't manyplaces in the continental US where you have to ride

> exclusively indoors for more than a week due to temperature alone. Most
> people don't train outside in the winter because they're not motivated
> to or they don't know how to dress (and I strongly suspect Mr. Bicycle
> Racing falls into the latter category).

Or some people have real jobs, and don't get home until after 6:00, when
last time I checked, it's pitch black outside .............

And if you have ever read any real info. by medical professional's on
the subject, it is a real bad idea to do any extended periods of
strenuous exercise when it is below 40 degrees. Doesn't matter how
warmly you dress, the air going into your lungs is still cold enough to
damage things ..................

Andy Coggan

Jan 16, 2004, 3:44:41 PM1/16/04
"Daremo" <usenet...@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message

> And if you have ever read any real info. by medical professional's on
> the subject, it is a real bad idea to do any extended periods of
> strenuous exercise when it is below 40 degrees. Doesn't matter how
> warmly you dress, the air going into your lungs is still cold enough to
> damage things ..................

This is an old wive's tale.

Andy Coggan

Robert Chung

Jan 16, 2004, 4:09:03 PM1/16/04
Daremo wrote:
> And if you have ever read any real info. by medical professional's on
> the subject, it is a real bad idea to do any extended periods of
> strenuous exercise when it is below 40 degrees. Doesn't matter how
> warmly you dress, the air going into your lungs is still cold enough to
> damage things ..................

Have you mentioned this to Bjorn Dahlie?

Daremo

Jan 16, 2004, 4:51:43 PM1/16/04
Andy Coggan wrote:
> This is an old wive's tale.

Prove it and I'll believe you over the coaches I've worked with for
running and other sports ..............

Ewoud Dronkert

Jan 16, 2004, 5:12:28 PM1/16/04
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:09:03 +0100, Robert Chung wrote:
> Have you mentioned this to Bjorn Dahlie?

Of course, he and all the other Nordic skiers have exercise-induced
asthma.

(uh-huh).

Andy Coggan

Jan 16, 2004, 6:02:25 PM1/16/04
"Daremo" <usenet...@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message

Friggin' newbie Aussies...

http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthreference/reference/BA3785FD-DA3F-412C-89D610CE015378B7.htm?category=questions

Andy Coggan (still Chief Science Officer of R.B.R.)

hold my beer and watch this...

Jan 16, 2004, 6:07:39 PM1/16/04

"Daremo" <usenet...@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message

> Prove it and I'll believe you over the coaches I've worked with for

> running and other sports ..............

Okay asshole, I'll prove it:

Cross country skiing is a sport.

Thanks,
Hold My.

alex

Jan 16, 2004, 7:21:35 PM1/16/04
For what is worth, the german magazine Tour (12/2002) concluded in a
comparative evaluation of several of the most popular systems available in
Europe, that the best trainer and the best value was the Elite Fluid
Elastometer. If I remember correctly the price was quite competitive.

Neacalban1

Jan 16, 2004, 7:51:51 PM1/16/04
>Fluid trainers have more issues than their worth, stay away from them,

you've had bad experiences? I expect some have. I've had a Performance
adjustable one for 4 years(i did return the first one cause it got noisy, but
the replacement has been fine.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 16, 2004, 8:18:39 PM1/16/04
Daremo <usenet...@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message news:<fhXNb.45971

> And if you have ever read any real
> info. by medical professional's on
> the subject, it is a real bad idea
> to do any extended periods of
> strenuous exercise when it is below
> 40 degrees. Doesn't matter how
> warmly you dress, the air going into
> your lungs is still cold enough to
> damage things ..................

I don't believe this. Can you give us a citation online?

JT

jazzDom

Jan 16, 2004, 9:21:16 PM1/16/04
I have a 1up trainer and it blows away all the other trainers out there
IMHO. Tire wear is similar to road use, silent, great resistance
curve, road-like feel because of the huge flywheel. They guarantee
this thing will be the ultimate trainer or you get your $ back.

http://www.1upusa.com

n article <TdoNb.8508$ZW2....@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>, Bicyle

Robert Chung

Jan 17, 2004, 1:25:32 AM1/17/04
Andy Coggan wrote:
> Friggin' newbie Aussies...

To be fair, the "aussie" part may not apply.

John Forrest Tomlinson

Jan 17, 2004, 8:50:03 PM1/17/04
Daremo <usenet...@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message news:<P1ZNb.170277$r04....@fe18.usenetserver.com>...

I thought you said there was medical literature about what you said
and that peopel should read that. Is there literature or are you just
repeating what these running coaches said? And did they claim there
is literature on that or were you just making that part up?

JT

Noel Llopis

Jan 18, 2004, 9:03:27 AM1/18/04
Tom Arsenault wrote:

> Fortuntely for me, I live in NC now, and
> don't have to deal with the mess. We can ride outside almost all
> year, save for a few days here and there because of shitty weather.
> Trainer time is a minimum, which is a good thing.

Lucky you. When I lived in NC, riding during July and August was usually out
of the question. I can handle 0-degree temperatures, but there's nothing I
can do about 100F with 95% humidity. Nothing.

I live in Maryland now and August is still pretty horrific. I think I get
more riding done in January than I do in August.

--Noel

hold my beer and watch this...

Jan 18, 2004, 9:26:13 AM1/18/04

"Noel Llopis" <OUTllo...@verizonTHIS.net> wrote in message

> I can handle 0-degree temperatures, but there's nothing I
> can do about 100F with 95% humidity. Nothing.

Have you tried riding early in the day?

Or wearing shorter skirts?

Thanks,
Hold my.

Noel Llopis

Jan 18, 2004, 2:24:56 PM1/18/04
hold my beer and watch this... wrote:

> "Noel Llopis" <OUTllo...@verizonTHIS.net> wrote in message
>
>> I can handle 0-degree temperatures, but there's nothing I
>> can do about 100F with 95% humidity. Nothing.
>>

> Have you tried riding early in the day?

I have. 6 am rides are sometimes acceptable. The problem around here is that
it doesn't cool down much during the night (90F or so), and I totally hate
the heat with humidity (and in the morning it'll be 100%). Still, not much
time for a decent ride before the weather becomes completely unbearable.

> Or wearing shorter skirts?

I should try that next time! I wonder why I never thought of that.

--Noel

Per Elmsäter

Jan 18, 2004, 4:13:17 PM1/18/04

To play it safe one of these can also be worn
http://www.lungplus.se/

--
Perre