gorp

kahlena

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

What's in your gorp.....I'm tired of mine

Ed Humphries

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

kahlena (kah...@prolog.net) wrote:
: What's in your gorp.....I'm tired of mine

Well, besides the obvious (Good Ole Raisins and Peanuts for the
uninitiated :-):

M&Ms (plain and peanut)
coconut flakes
dried pineapple chunks
dried apricot chunks

and often some cashew nuts to add variety to the peanuts.

Some varients from time to time, but we've been munching
this blend for a l o n g time now.

Cheers and YuM!
Ed Humphries
Hewlett-Packard WTEC
Atlanta, GA

Brian M. Parks

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

In article <324750...@prolog.net>, kahlena <kah...@prolog.net> wrote:

> What's in your gorp.....I'm tired of mine

nothing. i got tired of it too. so tired in fact that i REtired it, permanently.

this stuff becomes so distasteful after a few days out that it is tempting
to burn it, bury it, or shoot it. for discussions on the latter see, "what
gun should i carry in the backcountry?" or some other such endless related
questions that are the equivalent of asking whether or not god exists and
resulting in the same infinite back-and-forth goofball yak.

seriously, gorp has its place, and i know many people still swear by it.
but i choose to pack the very useful items often contained in such (nuts,
raisins, etc.) *separately* so that i can have a little variety from
day-to-day on the trail. i also take some cheese and hard salami and
crackers which are normally not contained in gorp to give even more
variety. variety is the key here, and a bag of gorp curtails
this.....unless of course you wish to pack ten different varieties of gorp
with you :^) .... just dont expect me to help you carry your load!
Ughhhh!

bmp

Daniel L. Henderson (cAc)

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

Just switched to Trader Joes brand granola bars with cranberries. I like
'em better because they cost the same, are not as messy, and taste better.
-Dan

Ron Lister

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996 23:09:04 -0400, kahlena <kah...@prolog.net>
wrote:

>What's in your gorp.....I'm tired of mine

A nice variant that I just found and added last week is Ocean Spray
Dried Cranberries.

Ron

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Clinton and Dole are part of a bipartisan conspiracy
to make Perot look Presidential.

Richard G. Henne, Jr.

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96
to kahlena

1 part Cheerios
1 part Frosted Flakes
1 part Raisons
1 part Peanuts
1 part Almonds
1 part Walnuts
1 part M & Ms
1/4 part Crushed Dried Chile Peppers
1 Tbs Chile Powder

Rich

Living in the desert gives one a dry sense of humor!!!

Steve Smith

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

In article <bmparks-2409...@teosinte.botany.wisc.edu>,
bmp...@facstaff.wisc.edu (Brian M. Parks) wrote:

>In article <324750...@prolog.net>, kahlena <kah...@prolog.net> wrote:
>
>> What's in your gorp.....I'm tired of mine

I added butterscotch on a recent trip out. Yum! I also tried roasted
peanuts instead of the regular kind (mistake) and I added some Cheddar
Cheese goldfish along with the usual M&Ms, sunflower seeds, raisens, et
al.

Enjoy
--stvsmth

dec...@brunt.meas.ncsu.edu

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

In <324750...@prolog.net>, kahlena <kah...@prolog.net> writes:

>What's in your gorp.....I'm tired of mine

Rasins, peanuts, dried pineapple, cherries (my favorite!), apricots,
apples, peaches, papya, m&m's, and sometimes granola and coconut. (The
granola get mushy after a week or so; sooner if it's really humid or
rainy.)

Enjoy!

-Dave

Dave DeCroix
dec...@brunt.meas.ncsu.edu
finger for PGP public key

"Walk quietly away in any direction...
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees,
the winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their
energies, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." -John Muir

Karen Lyons-McGann

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

further note:

for a real treat, we buy a small amount of this mix from the
health food store. It has coconut, pecans, almonds, cranberries,
and perhaps some other things I can't think of right now.
Pricey, it's the dessert version of GORP for our household.

I stirred some into a basic muffin recipe once, yum!!!

Karen Lyons-McGann

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

>>What's in your gorp.....I'm tired of mine

equal parts
peanuts, unsalted
raisins
these corn things from the local Whole Foods market,
(imagine corn kernals, or hominy, deep fried and crunchy, these
are salted.)

a half part of M & M's

all the parts of this mix are the same sizish and weight, so it
doesn't turn into layers of sediment, it stays mixed. It's a
pretty good mix of sweet and salty. We use it for car trips as
much as camping. The kids each like only parts of it. After
several hundred miles of being offered GORP and refused McD's
they finally started cooperating: one picks out M&Ms and peanuts,
the other picks out the corn nuts and raisins, then they trade
cups.

Kathy and Dave Seasholtz

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

kahlena wrote:

> What's in your gorp.....I'm tired of mine

Along with your standard peanuts and raisins add some M&M's and
sunflower seeds...

Kathy

Stephen W. Anderson

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

kahlena wrote:
> What's in your gorp.....I'm tired of mine

Hey! Eat your own. I hauled this in here and it's mine. Keep your
cotton-pickin' hands off it!

(But as for what's in it ... whatever I can find in the pantry when I
make up a mess of it. Dried fruit, a little juice, nuts, oatmeal, some
chocolate if there is any, any old thing to toss into the pot. No two
batches are alike.)

Stephen Worley Anderson, Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Essay Operations, Inc. * Appalachian Outdoors
s...@interpath.com

Don Ricker

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Karen Lyons-McGann wrote:

> >>What's in your gorp.....I'm tired of mine
>
> equal parts
> peanuts, unsalted
> raisins

Instead of Raisins try dried sliced dates, much nicer taste.

Jeanne & Gary Ross

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

Don Ricker <ric...@spielo.ca> wrote:
> [...]

peanuts, M&M's, raisins. Sometimes I use carob or chocolate chips but
choc.chips tend to melt in summer months.

FYI, GORP=Good Old Raisins and Peanuts.

Peace, Jeanne

Matthew A Zelin

Sep 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/30/96

Jeanne & Gary Ross (ro...@together.net) wrote:

: Peace, Jeanne

I hate to seem picky, but I believe that it really is
"Good Ol' Raisins and Peanuts"

Matt.

Brad Kottke

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

How can you be sure it's not "Grand Old Raisins and Peanuts?"

By the way, two handfuls of dry-roasted peanuts (I prefer planters), two
handfuls of Reeses Pieces, two handfuls of "Goldfish" crackers in a "Good
Ol' Ziploc Bag" and I'm out the door.

Brad Kottke
Los Angeles, CA

***Truth threatens power, now and always.***
-E. Abbey