hiking in heat

1 view

Puppet_Sock

Jun 1, 2006, 10:40:11 AM6/1/06
Just a thread to contribute to pushing a certain name off the Google
first page of these groups so I can read it properly.

Any hints on hiking in super-hot weather? It's likely to be a scorcher
this summer in southern Ontario. (According to environment Canada.)
And I don't want to spend any more time in the city than I have to.

So, other than a good sunhat, and sun glasses, and loose clothing,
and lots of water, and appropriate levels of salt. Any other hints on
hiking in very hot weather?
Socks

Daniel-San

Jun 1, 2006, 10:48:21 AM6/1/06

"Puppet_Sock" wrote ...

> So, other than a good sunhat, and sun glasses, and loose clothing,
> and lots of water, and appropriate levels of salt. Any other hints on
> hiking in very hot weather?

Good list.... to which I'd add:

Light-colored clothing
Sunscreen (don't forget your lip balm)
Change of socks (at least once at mid-point of hike if your feet sweat like
mine....)
Gold Bond for the... uhh... 'undercarriage'.
A bandana in your pocket -- nice to wipe sweat from the face, or to use as a
dunk towel, or..., or...

Dan

Mary Malmros

Jun 1, 2006, 11:05:48 AM6/1/06
"Daniel-San" <replyt...@thisisfake.com> wrote in

> "Puppet_Sock" wrote ...
>
>> So, other than a good sunhat, and sun glasses, and loose clothing,
>> and lots of water, and appropriate levels of salt. Any other hints on
>> hiking in very hot weather?
>
> Good list....

Yours too!

> to which I'd add:
>
> Light-colored clothing

Yeah, and experiment with fabrics. Sometimes I like cotton but in
really humid weather, sometimes I don't. Using something like mesh
coolmax can work too, but it means more sunscreen.

> Sunscreen (don't forget your lip balm)

Try to find a brand that works well for you. I like the Coppertone
Sport cream stuff, which seems to give more protection longer in hot and
sweaty conditions. I apply this in the morning after showering, so I'm
always covered before I go out.

> Change of socks (at least once at mid-point of hike if your feet sweat
> like mine....)

Mine sweat tons too. If you want to do something about this, there's a
trick I learned from Murray Hamlet. Get an aerosol spray antiperspirant
(these are getting hard to find), and every morning after showering,
spray your feet. The idea isn't so much to anti-perspire your feet with
the spray; apparently it actually trains them not to sweat as much. Do
this every day for several weeks and your feet will not sweat as much
thereafter. I've done this, and it does work, although if you don't do
it for a long time they will get sweaty again.

I don't carry extra socks, but if I stop for lunch or a break I will
take my socks off, turn them inside out and let them air-dry a bit.
Also, I always carry Tevas in the car so I can get out of sweaty socks
at the trailhead.

> Gold Bond for the... uhh... 'undercarriage'.

Oh so very vital in hot humid weather. Another thing to try, for both
men and women (although I think guys get the worst of it) is not wearing
underwear. A Vietnam vet told me that they always went without because
they'd get incredible jock rot if they wore underwear.

> A bandana in your pocket -- nice to wipe sweat from the face, or to
> use as a dunk towel, or..., or...

Yes. Incredibly useful! I often tuck mine under my cap to shield my
neck, and I often wet it down first for additional cooling -- works
great. I also spray mine with permethrin, so if the bugs are getting
annoying, putting the bandanna on the head will discourage them.

Other hints I'd have:

1. Acclimate. Even if you can't hike, spend time outdoors and away
from air conditioning to get your body used to the conditions.

2. Pick cooler times of the day, at least while you're acclimating.

3. Plan your hikes so there will be some relief from the heat: a breezy
ridge, shaded areas, trails near a body of water, etc. Mid-hike
swimming holes are great.

4. Eat light but frequently, both when hiking and not. Try to find the
combination of eating times, amounts and stuff that works best for you
in hot weather.

5. Hike at an easy pace when the heat is at its most intense.

6. Learn about heat-related illnesses -- heat exhaustion, heat stroke,
dehydration, hyponatremia, sunburn -- and how to prevent and treat them.

I'm a bit south and east of you, in Massachusetts, and I have the quaint
feeling you're dead on re: what type of summer it will be. My garden is
absolutely loving it.

jrol...@socalcamping.com

Jun 1, 2006, 11:13:13 AM6/1/06
Here in southern California, all hiking is hot-weather hiking.

Others have already mentioned the usual items, but here a couple you
don't often see on the trails, but I swear by:

1) An Umbrella. Maybe you have sufficient shade in your area, but for
desert hiking I always carry an umbrella. Its instant shade anywhere
you need it.

2) Personal Mister. You may have seen these at Walmart or Hardware
stores. Basically its a small bottle, pressurized by a pump, with a
very fine copper nozzle that produces a light 'mist'. Straps easily to
a backpack, and very refreshing.

Best regards,

Jeremy
www.socalcamping.com

the Moderator

Jun 1, 2006, 11:56:32 AM6/1/06

"Puppet_Sock" <puppe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Get an insulated water bladder with a drinking tube. I have one insulated
platypus bladder that I fill and put in the fridge over night. It will stay
cool for about 4 hours. I have found that ready access to a sip of water
all the time keeps me better hydrated than stopping to open my pack or
fumble with opening a bottle when I get thirsty. I tend to wait until I
feel thirsty and by that time I am already starting to dehydrate. The cool
water also helps quench the thirst and cool the body. Try it, you will have
more energy for longer time.

I also recommend a straw hat. They are cooler than anything I have ever
tried.

I have a chemical cold pack that I have never taken, but it might come in
handy.

I also carry a space blanket that could be rigged for shade.

I also carry baby carrots to eat. Lots of quick energy without a sugar
spike.

Ernie W

Jun 1, 2006, 12:32:39 PM6/1/06

I wear sock liners under my main socks. I pull the sock liners up and
push the outer socks down. The exposed sock liners wick out sweat from
your feet and then also act like radiators cooling you a little though
evaporative cooling.

Also don't be macho. You may be in great shape but in any temp over
about 85F you will have to pace yourself to control your internal heat.
Muscles may be raring to go but if you are not dissipating heat
generated by those muscles you will have to go slower. Pushing too hard
in the heat can cook your internal organs including your brain (watch
out for poor decision making.)

Ernie

Wayne

Jun 1, 2006, 1:05:13 PM6/1/06
I would add one or two bandanas. The standard bandana provides too many
uses to be named here. But, along the lines of keeping cool, dip the
bandana in water and holding one end, twirl it around. This causes
evaporation cooling that can then be applied to your neck, face, etc.

I also use a water absorbing neckband/bandana. It has crystals in a long
skinny pouch that wraps around your neck. Soak it in water for 5 minutes or
so, and it puffs up. In dry climates, the evaporation provides enough
relief to make it worth carrying.

mike

Jun 1, 2006, 2:42:24 PM6/1/06

"Mary Malmros" <malmro...@nospamverizon.net> wrote in message

De-lurk

Further to this, a product called Drysol works very, very well. It is a
dab-on product you put on before going to bed. They suggest actually
wrapping your feet in plastic wrap, then socks after application. It takes
about 3-4 nights of this, then you should only need it once or twice a week.
It also works just as well anywhere else, armpits, palms etc... excellent
product but a little pricey ($22 CAN)

Puppet_Sock

Jun 1, 2006, 4:19:14 PM6/1/06
Mary Malmros wrote:
[snip]

> 1. Acclimate. Even if you can't hike, spend time outdoors and away
> from air conditioning to get your body used to the conditions.

Heh heh. This one may be a bit of an annoyance this year.
May 22 it was snowing less than 300 km north of here.
And it was only a few degrees above freezing (like 8 or so)
in Toronto. Yesterday it hit 34C (about 95F). Getting to
be so I don't know whether to wear a parka or shorts and
sandals to work.
Socks

adk-hiker

Jun 1, 2006, 8:50:44 PM6/1/06

"Puppet_Sock" <puppe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Here's one out of left field:
Try going north to avoid the heat. May be easier said than done depending
on how far north you have to go to get into the cooler temps.

Back to reallity:
I don't know about Ontario, but here in Central New York and in the
Adirondacks the black flies are so bad I swear they're going to pick me up
and carry me away. So I'd invest in good bug dope.

Have fun,
Dan

Raptor

Jun 1, 2006, 11:27:15 PM6/1/06

Cotton in the places that don't rub against each other, synthetics
elsewhere. Actually, cotton is a preference thing. In dry areas it's
fine. If Ontario's humid (which I suspect), more synthetics.

Sunscreen has probably already been mentioned 20 times.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

Brian Sniatkowski

Jun 2, 2006, 12:27:02 AM6/2/06

I throw my Platypus water bladder in the freezer the night before. The
next morning its a solid block of ice and it melts slowly during the
day, giving me ice cold water all day long.

Note it has to be really hot for this to work. I've done it on slightly
cooler days and the ice melted too slow, leaving me without water for
a time.

Wild Monkshood

Jun 2, 2006, 12:34:34 AM6/2/06

Brian Sniatkowski wrote:

Also, make sure your carrier is insulated, unless you want a numb back.

Wild Monkshood

David

Jun 2, 2006, 12:54:29 AM6/2/06

Please allow me to reassure you based on four years in Vietnam and Laos
in the 1960s and Guyana for a few years in the 1980s, that operating
in the bush sans underwear or socks is virtually guarenteed to create
skin and feet problems then were you to wear them and care for yourself
properly. If you think you can get crotch rot wearing undies, just
imagine how much faster you'd develop that problem were you not
wearing any and properly caring for yourself. Trust me, when your
crotch is welded to the pants with mucus, blood and pus you are not a
happy camper.

Don't wear undies. No skin off my crotch so to speak. :-) it's a free
world out there in hiking land. And pleas take all the *war stories*
one might hear with a grain of salt and some critical thinking.. At
the same time the operating climate in S.E.A. is HOT and very HUMID and
not DRY at all. It's not as if I care and it's not as if we were hiking
together. But i know of few quicker ways to turn a nice longish hike
into a potential ordeal.

david N.

Cyli

Jun 2, 2006, 1:40:23 AM6/2/06
On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 00:50:44 GMT, "adk-hiker" <n...@email.com> wrote:

>Back to reallity:
>I don't know about Ontario, but here in Central New York and in the
>Adirondacks the black flies are so bad I swear they're going to pick me up
>and carry me away. So I'd invest in good bug dope.

Bug juice. Essential in summer most places we want to hike. And in
hot sweaty summer, it's more essential. I hate to put it on, but it
helps.

The sweat seems to attract more bugs than you'd get if you were dry
skinned. That may be a personal observational thing, though. Maybe
there are just more bugs when it's humid and hot?
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

Don't ask me what time it is lest I'm of
a mood to tell you how to make a clock.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

mkt

Jun 2, 2006, 4:56:50 AM6/2/06

Mary Malmros wrote:

[...]

> >> and lots of water, and appropriate levels of salt. Any other hints on
> >> hiking in very hot weather?

[...]

> 1. Acclimate. Even if you can't hike, spend time outdoors and away
> from air conditioning to get your body used to the conditions.

I think this is pretty key. Kind of like altitude, you have to spend
some time at that height or temperature; other sorts of training help
but don't completely prepare your body for the experience.

I do most of my hiking in southern California, which turns out to have
terrain and climate similar to much of Venezuela's. When I hiked there
with some friends from Northern California, on the first dayhike they'd
used up their water just halfway up the hill and were bushed by the
heat and steepness. For me it was just like hiking in the San
Gabriels. But by the time we did a multi-day hike a week later, they
were acclimated and did fine, one of them was outpacing me by that
time.

So, doing a relatively short (but long enough to provide some
challenge) dayhike or overnight hike, and then having a rest day before
tackling a major hike could be a good idea.

--MKT

Earl J

Jun 2, 2006, 10:05:23 AM6/2/06
David,

Can you give us details on the meaning of your phrase, "care for yourself
properly"?

I definitely agree with you about the underwear, and can't imagine
otherwise, *especially* in hot humid environments. But I have no experience
in the extreme operating conditions you saw in S E A, so I'm wondering what
other lessons about personal care you learned.

(Earl)

"David" <Focai...@aol.com> wrote in message

rick++

Jun 2, 2006, 10:26:26 AM6/2/06

> 2. Pick cooler times of the day, at least while you're acclimating.

In the west, that also happens to be when the lions and bears are
more lively. This year theres been a very high number of physical
lion-human encounters (5), but no clear reason.

ziegl...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2006, 3:57:13 PM6/2/06
HYDRATE!
>From a Florida hiker (can't get that damn hot in Canada!) the key has
to be hydration. I do agree acclimation is a BIG help, but the key has
to be Hydration. Also don't push it. By not pushing I mean head for
the shade and a rest quite often to re-evaluate your condition, drink
BEFORE you are thirsty, don't try to hurry (over exert). If your head
starts to hurt, or you feel tired, or nausea - STOP! Get out of the
sun, drink and rest.

Don't underestimate you water needs. They can be more than double your
normal cool weather consumption. Don't waste your time with a mister
or an umbrella. You'll use up more energy (and produce more heat) than
they are worth. A straw hat may help keep you cool and be worth
taking. Also take a bandana you can wet and rub your face or neck, and
just wipe the sweat - makes you feel better.

I too have had good luck packing a Platypus with mostly ice. Once it's
in your backpack it's surprising how long it stays cold.

Good luck. And when you get good at hot weather hiking, come on down
to Florida. It should be perfect in about a month for some REAL fun!
Tim

David

Jun 2, 2006, 10:31:34 PM6/2/06
I'll try. It will be in no way comprehensive though or even completely
coherent as some of the old smells and imagery will interfere. Extra
undies. Extra socks. Light wool socks will wick moisture away from the
feet, so they said, to a certain extent but if the feet get wet from
sweating stop and take off boots, dry feet massage them and change into
dry socks. Don't be in a rush and take the time to tend to your body.
After all you are out there to enjoy the solitude and nature right? I
mean it's not a death march you are on. :-) An extra pair of dry boots
or hiking shoes might also be on your list just in case. A very quick
way to develop some foot problems is to hike a few miles in wet shoes.

I really like the Goretex, webbed, very breathable yet watertight
Vasques. I have weak ankles and prefer the above ankle ones. Heck folks
up here think I'm insane because I wear them in the winter with good
quality wool socks. I'll wear lighter wool socks in the summer with
them too. Never had a problem with damp feet. But this is northern
Michigan.

Crotch rot is not a fun thing but I do not think you would be bothered
by it on an overnight hike. If you get that moisture *seep* in the
crotch region and you'll know because you can feel it, the best to do
is stop and wipe that stuff away with fresh water and then spread your
legs and air dry. Using witchhazel would be a good idea but you won't
be carrying a pharmacy with you on the hike. <g> After dry perhaps a
light powdering might do but I really haven't done that. And change to
clean dry underwear. Overnight rinse the dirty stuff out, wring it out
and let air dry. I'll tell you in all honesty, it took more than two
decades for the scars to disappear on me down there and on my neck
rubbed raw from friction -- just a darkening of the skin now when I've
been hot and sweating.

You might not be bothered by it at all. Different skin types seem to
exhibit differing levels of sensitivity to these sorts of irritations.

I think powdering up can be pretty much of a mixed bag. In light
irritations I suppose it's OK but the moisture that seeps can and will
combine with the powder and turn it into a paste, and that will only
make the problem worse. It did in our case. The real problem, however,
came during the rainy season in the North. Average rainfall was 300
inches from mid September through mid April. Honest! And it was cold!
It was nearly impossible to keep dry and warm. Everything mildewed. I
swear I think my skin did as well. I'll defer discussing skin fungus.
Generally speaking, the callouses on our feet would strip off when we
rubbed the feet. right down to fresh baby skin. Not very good for
walking on. These were extreme conditions though, and we had no control
over them. It's much different in recreational hiking.

Hope this helps. This was not at all meant to be definitive nor
authorative.

david N.

Earl J

Jun 3, 2006, 9:23:21 AM6/3/06
(snip!)

> Hope this helps. This was not at all meant to be definitive nor
> authorative.
>
> david N.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping for, just your thoughts on some
important points. I just think the collective military knows a lot of
"stuff," that has been learned the hard way, and we can all learn from those
experiences.

That no underwear idea reminds me of the time I was in Yellowstone
looking at some bison. There was a small crowd of us there on the side of
the road, and some guy asked to borrow my binocs, and we struck up a
conversation about how wonderful these bison were and so forth. So... at
one point in the conversation he started to tell me how friendly bison were,
and how safe it was to approach them real close on foot. Now, just the
night before I had attended a ranger presentation on bison, and had been
reminded of just the opposite, and in fact, just a few weeks earlier that
year a bison gored some guy when he wondered too close taking photos. So
anyway, I asked this guy where he had learned all this stuff about bison
being friendly, and he said that a ranger told him!
Previous to that, I just thought the guy was ignorant, but at that point
I knew I was faced with a liar, and a dangerous one at that.
I've often wondered about that guy, and what motivated him.

(Earl)

Gary S.

Jun 3, 2006, 12:37:17 PM6/3/06
On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 08:23:21 -0500, "Earl J" <bo...@bogus.net> wrote:

>(snip!)

>and how safe it was to approach them real close on foot. Now, just the
>night before I had attended a ranger presentation on bison, and had been
>reminded of just the opposite, and in fact, just a few weeks earlier that
>year a bison gored some guy when he wondered too close taking photos. So
>anyway, I asked this guy where he had learned all this stuff about bison
>being friendly, and he said that a ranger told him!
> Previous to that, I just thought the guy was ignorant, but at that point
>I knew I was faced with a liar, and a dangerous one at that.
> I've often wondered about that guy, and what motivated him.
>
>(Earl)

America's Funniest Home Videos?

They pay big money to those who video the winning entries.
Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

dan

Jun 3, 2006, 3:47:48 PM6/3/06
I believe the Israeli Army enforces 1 Liter per hour water consumption
on marches.

Dan

Steve T

Jun 3, 2006, 8:12:56 PM6/3/06
Suggest a lightweight umbrella that you add a reflective mylar skin atop of
(got this tip from Jardine's book) instead of a hat. The umbrella will keep
the sun off the head, provide a tad more shade, and let the natural air
cooling of the head to take place.

Gary S.

Jun 3, 2006, 8:16:45 PM6/3/06
On 1 Jun 2006 08:13:13 -0700, jrol...@socalcamping.com wrote:

>Here in southern California, all hiking is hot-weather hiking.
>
>Others have already mentioned the usual items, but here a couple you
>don't often see on the trails, but I swear by:
>
>1) An Umbrella. Maybe you have sufficient shade in your area, but for
>desert hiking I always carry an umbrella. Its instant shade anywhere
>you need it.

There are times up this way an umbrella makes sense, not always for
sun ;-)

Do you have some way to secure it to your pack, or do you just hold it
in one hand or the other?

>2) Personal Mister. You may have seen these at Walmart or Hardware
>stores. Basically its a small bottle, pressurized by a pump, with a
>very fine copper nozzle that produces a light 'mist'. Straps easily to
>a backpack, and very refreshing.

For dry heat these are great, not so much for high humidity.

Gary S.

Jun 3, 2006, 8:28:06 PM6/3/06
On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:56:32 -0500, "the Moderator"
<sparky@no_spam_engineer.com> wrote:

>Get an insulated water bladder with a drinking tube. I have one insulated
>platypus bladder that I fill and put in the fridge over night. It will stay
>cool for about 4 hours. I have found that ready access to a sip of water
>all the time keeps me better hydrated than stopping to open my pack or
>fumble with opening a bottle when I get thirsty. I tend to wait until I
>feel thirsty and by that time I am already starting to dehydrate. The cool
>water also helps quench the thirst and cool the body. Try it, you will have
>more energy for longer time.

For warm weather these are great.

The wide opening ones allow you to fill them with ice before topping
off with water. There are special trays that allow you to make long
thin cylinders of ice for the narrow opening ones.

As Sparky says, small frequent sips of water are far better for you
than stopping every half hour and driniking a large quantity. The
typical human cannot efficiently absorb more than about 8 oz of
drinking liquid in 15 minutes.

My one concern with these is not being able to see how much is left in
them. I would suggest having a separate "reserve" bottle of water.

>I also recommend a straw hat. They are cooler than anything I have ever
>tried.
>
>I have a chemical cold pack that I have never taken, but it might come in
>handy.

I have carried one as part of a leader's first aid kit, but I tend to
think now that they are not as useful for the weight as other items.
The evaporative effect of a smaller amount of alcohol would provide
the same cooling, and have other uses as well.

>I also carry a space blanket that could be rigged for shade.
>
>I also carry baby carrots to eat. Lots of quick energy without a sugar
>spike.

Cooked or raw? This sounds interesting, and I like carrots anyway.

Gary S.

Jun 4, 2006, 8:21:38 AM6/4/06
On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 00:34:34 -0400, Wild Monkshood
<wild_mo...@bellsloth.net> wrote:

>Brian Sniatkowski wrote:
>
>> I throw my Platypus water bladder in the freezer the night before. The
>> next morning its a solid block of ice and it melts slowly during the
>> day, giving me ice cold water all day long.
>>
>> Note it has to be really hot for this to work. I've done it on slightly
>> cooler days and the ice melted too slow, leaving me without water for
>> a time.
>
> Also, make sure your carrier is insulated, unless you want a numb back.
>
>Wild Monkshood

Actually, CamelBak has sold some without insulation, so that the water
in the bladder can cool you before drinking as well. Solid ice might
be a bit much against you, though.

Instead of freezing the whole thing, I do the ice cubes topped off
with water method.

Raptor

Jun 4, 2006, 4:21:21 PM6/4/06
dan wrote:
> I believe the Israeli Army enforces 1 Liter per hour water consumption
> on marches.
>
> Dan

Anyone exercising in heat should know about hyponatremia,
over-hydration. Drinking too little is the more common problem, and most
people don't push themselves long and hard enough, but it can be fatal.
Neophyte marathon runners seem to be most susceptible based on media
reports.

The formal recommendation of the ACSM (IIRC) is 32 ounces of water per
hour. If you are exercising for longer than 90 minutes, add electrolyte
replacement drink to your intake.

On long hikes or bike rides, I usually take a 100-oz pack of water, a
32-oz bottle of water, and a 32-oz bottle of Gatorade or similar.

The actual numbers derived in studies and tests are less important than
how your body responds. If you start feeling like the water is sloshing
around in your stomach, and/or it doesn't refresh you, your electrolytes
are likely low. Switch to a sports drink for a bit.

Doug Chadduck

Jun 4, 2006, 5:42:29 PM6/4/06
Gary S. wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 08:23:21 -0500, "Earl J" <bo...@bogus.net> wrote:
>
>> (snip!)
>
>> and how safe it was to approach them real close on foot. Now, just the
>> night before I had attended a ranger presentation on bison, and had been
>> reminded of just the opposite, and in fact, just a few weeks earlier that
>> year a bison gored some guy when he wondered too close taking photos. So
>> anyway, I asked this guy where he had learned all this stuff about bison
>> being friendly, and he said that a ranger told him!
>> Previous to that, I just thought the guy was ignorant, but at that point
>> I knew I was faced with a liar, and a dangerous one at that.
>> I've often wondered about that guy, and what motivated him.
>>
>> (Earl)
>>
> America's Funniest Home Videos?
>
> They pay big money to those who video the winning entries.
> Happy trails,
> Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Was driving thru Teddy Roosevelt National Park and ended up surrounded
by buffalo. No big deal. They'll wander on soon enough. Looked out the
back window and over the buffalo and 40 feet, or so, behind us we saw
the man in front of his car pointing his camera at his wife, standing
beside the passenger door, trying to push a bull out of the picture,
while totally surrounded by buffalo.

This was quite amusing later but for a few moments we wondered if there
would be anything we could do if something happened to her/them. Pre
cell phone days.............Man there are some idiots out there! These
got lucky cause they got back into their car. Would love a copy of that
picture.

Pat O'Connell

Jun 4, 2006, 11:00:36 PM6/4/06
Raptor wrote:
> dan wrote:
>> I believe the Israeli Army enforces 1 Liter per hour water consumption
>> on marches.
>>
>> Dan
>
> Anyone exercising in heat should know about hyponatremia,
> over-hydration. Drinking too little is the more common problem, and most
> people don't push themselves long and hard enough, but it can be fatal.
> Neophyte marathon runners seem to be most susceptible based on media
> reports.
>
> The formal recommendation of the ACSM (IIRC) is 32 ounces of water per
> hour. If you are exercising for longer than 90 minutes, add electrolyte
> replacement drink to your intake.
>
> On long hikes or bike rides, I usually take a 100-oz pack of water, a
> 32-oz bottle of water, and a 32-oz bottle of Gatorade or similar.
>
> The actual numbers derived in studies and tests are less important than
> how your body responds. If you start feeling like the water is sloshing
> around in your stomach, and/or it doesn't refresh you, your electrolytes
> are likely low. Switch to a sports drink for a bit.

Just thought I'd add one thing. A friend of mine gave me a tip about
Gatorade, Powerade and the rest of them. Cut them about half and half
with water, and you'll have about the right amount of electrolyte in
your drink. Seems to work too, at least in the Southwest.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]

Gary S.

Jun 4, 2006, 11:40:18 PM6/4/06
On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:00:36 -0600, Pat O'Connell <gyp...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Just thought I'd add one thing. A friend of mine gave me a tip about
>Gatorade, Powerade and the rest of them. Cut them about half and half
>with water, and you'll have about the right amount of electrolyte in
>your drink. Seems to work too, at least in the Southwest.

That is the proportion that I, and a number of people I know, have
independently gotten to, in various experiences with ER drinks during
exercise. Drinking them full strength while serious exercising seems
to cause stomach upset.

Have heard for years about bicycle racers who would alternate a sip of
ER drink from one bottle, with a sip from a plain water bottle.

More useful if you make your own from the powder, rather than buying
premade.

Raptor

Jun 5, 2006, 12:08:58 AM6/5/06

That's what I do when I'm drinking the stuff from the start. When you're
warmed up and working, 50/50 actually can taste delicious. (And the
straight stuff is more appetizing as well.)

But if you mix it ALL down, it "pollutes" every container. The bottles
and bladders are easier to keep clean if you only put water in them. By
keeping the sweet stuff in one container, they last longer. Keeping the
stuff segregated doesn't hurt anything - it mixes in your body anyway.

Earl J

Jun 4, 2006, 8:53:02 AM6/4/06

Where does one get reflective mylar? Are there different types of mylar,
i.e., could I buy the wrong type of mylar?

(Earl)

"Steve T" <vennacher-...@qwest.net> wrote in message

> Suggest a lightweight umbrella that you add a reflective mylar skin atop
> of (got this tip from Jardine's book) instead of a hat. The umbrella will
> keep the sun off the head, provide a tad more shade, and let the natural
> air cooling of the head to take place.

(snip!)

Daniel-San

Jun 5, 2006, 9:15:04 AM6/5/06

"Earl J" wrote...

> Where does one get reflective mylar? Are there different types of mylar,
> i.e., could I buy the wrong type of mylar?

A space blanket would work well for this. Trim to fit.

Dan

Eugene Miya

Jun 5, 2006, 12:43:05 PM6/5/06
In article <12886as...@corp.supernews.com>,

Earl J <bo...@bogus.net> wrote:
>Where does one get reflective mylar? Are there different types of mylar,
>i.e., could I buy the wrong type of mylar?

Retail: get a space blanket (a joke in a way),
or look in the Yellow pages under Plastics.
A wholesaler or retailers can explain the market.

Earl J

Jun 5, 2006, 8:30:28 PM6/5/06
Oh, now that was real helpful! Thanks so much.
(Earl)

"Eugene Miya" <eug...@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote in message

Cyli

Jun 5, 2006, 10:16:55 PM6/5/06
On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:30:28 -0500, "Earl J" <bo...@bogus.net> wrote:

>Oh, now that was real helpful! Thanks so much.
>(Earl)

Actually, it was, pretty much...

>"Eugene Miya" <eug...@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote in message
>> In article <12886as...@corp.supernews.com>,
>> Earl J <bo...@bogus.net> wrote:
>>>Where does one get reflective mylar? Are there different types of mylar,
>>>i.e., could I buy the wrong type of mylar?
>>
>> Retail: get a space blanket (a joke in a way),
>> or look in the Yellow pages under Plastics.
>> A wholesaler or retailers can explain the market.

Space blankets _are_ reflective mylar. Shoddy and not good for long,
but they'll last you a night or two in an emergency. Probably cost
about $5.00 US or less now.

If all you want is something to use as a small reflecting surface, buy
one of the shiny looking balloons, cut it open when it deflates and
you've got a couple of square feet of mylar that's stronger than the
usual emergency space blanket.

Yes, there are some different types of mylar. The cheap space blanket
kind is a laminated mylar on transparent (and very thin) plastic. But
it folds down so small (in the package you buy it in, never again in
use) that it's no problem to have along. Weighs only a few ounces.

It will burn or melt when exposed to high heat (dropping a cigarette
on it or letting it touch the campfire or camp stove flame). Otherwise
very nice to have around.

Earl J

Jun 6, 2006, 8:19:29 AM6/6/06

I get it now. That's a real answer, and I do appriciate it.

I have a space blanket bag in the first aid kit when I backpack, and was
wondering if it was the "reflective mylar" mentioned by the OP. Would have
never thought of one of those balloons!

(Earl)

"Cyli" <cyl...@com.invalid> wrote in message

> On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:30:28 -0500, "Earl J" <bo...@bogus.net> wrote:

(my scarcasm snipped!)

> Actually, it was, pretty much...

not very useful. Most retailers seem to be staffed by kids who wouldn't
understand the question, and wholesalers aren't interested in some guy who
just wants to talk about modifying an umbrella. The Yellow Pages (duh) is
where I go when looking for phone numbers, not experience-based info from a
community of outdoor types.

Thanks!

(drivel snipped!)

Puppet_Sock

Jun 6, 2006, 10:34:53 AM6/6/06
Earl J wrote:
> Where does one get reflective mylar? Are there different types of mylar,
> i.e., could I buy the wrong type of mylar?

For those looking for such in Ontario, you can find them at the
Candian Tire outdoors section. Little package about the size
of a pack of ciggarettes, and about $5. Unfolds to a size about
two meters by one meter or round about. Also available at the
Moutain Equipment coop, and probably loads of other outdoors
stores. As others have mentioned, they are probably not something
you will reuse many times, as the plastic tears and melts pretty
easily, and they don't refold easily especially if damp or dirty.
Though, with care, they should be good for two or three uses.

If people give up smoking, what will we use as "about the size of"
for items like this? A pack of playing cards maybe? Or a wallet?
(He said from Ontario that has just declared itself non-smoking.)
Socks

Wayne

Jun 7, 2006, 9:34:05 PM6/7/06

>> If all you want is something to use as a small reflecting surface, buy
>> one of the shiny looking balloons, cut it open when it deflates and
>> you've got a couple of square feet of mylar that's stronger than the
>> usual emergency space blanket.
>>
>> Yes, there are some different types of mylar. The cheap space blanket
>> kind is a laminated mylar on transparent (and very thin) plastic. But
>> it folds down so small (in the package you buy it in, never again in
>> use) that it's no problem to have along. Weighs only a few ounces.
>>
>> It will burn or melt when exposed to high heat (dropping a cigarette
>> on it or letting it touch the campfire or camp stove flame). Otherwise
>> very nice to have around.
>> --
The "space blankets" are great. They are cheap, and are folded up in a
small lightweight package. I had a spare and gave it to a fellow traveller
during a rather heavy rainstorm in Costa Rica. She wrapped up in it, and
when we returned to camp that night, she was the only dry person. That
space blanket outperformed everyone else's state of the art gortex, etc.

They also reasonably perform their normal functions.

Mary Malmros

Jun 9, 2006, 2:06:17 PM6/9/06
Gary S. <Idon...@spam.net> wrote in

[re: ER drinks]

> More useful if you make your own from the powder, rather than buying
> premade.

I make my own powder, using corn sugar (faster uptake), potassium and
magnesium tabs, some salt, and unsweeted kool ade powder for flavor. I
keep tweaking with it, but the basic recipe is one I like a lot.

Mary Malmros

Jun 9, 2006, 2:08:04 PM6/9/06
Cyli <cyl...@com.invalid> wrote in

> Space blankets _are_ reflective mylar. Shoddy and not good for long,
> but they'll last you a night or two in an emergency. Probably cost
> about $5.00 US or less now.

That's one type of space blanket. How would the more durable type work?

dan

Jun 9, 2006, 6:43:08 PM6/9/06
Um, Mylar(TM) is the PLASTIC, with a metallic coating for reflectivity.

Dan

Cyli

Jun 10, 2006, 1:31:32 AM6/10/06

I've got one but haven't used it. I don't winter camp, so it's been
kept in the vehicle for any winter road emergencies. Seems to be of
the same texture and apparent durability as the popular in campgrounds
blue plastic tarps.

Cyli

Jun 10, 2006, 1:32:18 AM6/10/06
On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 15:43:08 -0700, dan <dnad...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Um, Mylar(TM) is the PLASTIC, with a metallic coating for reflectivity.
>
>Dan

So I had it the wrong way around. Duh. Thanks for the correction.

Eugene Miya

Jun 10, 2006, 2:23:08 AM6/10/06
space blankets.

In article <l6mk82152jss544ln...@4ax.com>,

Cyli <cyl...@gmsil.com.invalid> wrote:
>I've got one but haven't used it. I don't winter camp, so it's been
>kept in the vehicle for any winter road emergencies. Seems to be of
>the same texture and apparent durability as the popular in campgrounds
>blue plastic tarps.

After passing the basics, every one should spend the night in a forest
using one as if one was in an emergency. Then people can realize the
joke of their limitations.

Sorry, no extra polar bear/fox photos in camp. Mary cleaned them out.
None in Fairbanks, none in Barrow Deadhorse as far as I could tell.
Anchorage is the last chance. But you can get them from the web site
for lefteyepro.

Igloo Ed

Jun 10, 2006, 9:21:00 AM6/10/06
Eugene Miya wrote:
> space blankets.

> After passing the basics, every one should spend the night in a forest
> using one as if one was in an emergency. Then people can realize the
> joke of their limitations.

I don't remember where we were at other than I have this memory of
being at timberline and wanting to take a lunch. It was windy with a
bit of snow on the ground, must have been early winter season.
We got the space blanket out to try it out and see if it'd work as a
wind breaker wrapped around the windy side of the two of us.
I don't know what started the tears in the mylar [sharp rock, tiny
sharp bushes or just the cold] but it was in shreds within 15 minutes.
One aplication where they did work reasonably well was on the
ceiling of our old snow cave that had a rock ceiling. We stuck the
blanket to the rock with little balls of some gummy type glue.
Condensation did form on the back side of the mylar though and it would
weight the blanket resulting in the glue releasing. Those blankets also
ended up tearing after putting them back up a few times.
They really made the snowcave a lot warmer though.

> Sorry, no extra polar bear/fox photos in camp. Mary cleaned them out.
> None in Fairbanks, none in Barrow Deadhorse as far as I could tell.
> Anchorage is the last chance. But you can get them from the web site
> for lefteyepro.

Heh, with all of the cards of his that are on my wall, I should
probably give him a bit of business.

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com

Gary S.

Jun 10, 2006, 10:41:19 AM6/10/06

Where would one purchase corn sugar?

Do the large "natural" food stores have it, or a specialty retailer
like a brewing supplier?

The potassium and magnesium I would think are available through a
place that sells vitamins and supplements.

Pat O'Connell

Jun 10, 2006, 9:00:07 PM6/10/06
Igloo Ed wrote:
> Eugene Miya wrote:
>> space blankets.
>> After passing the basics, every one should spend the night in a forest
>> using one as if one was in an emergency. Then people can realize the
>> joke of their limitations.
>
> I don't remember where we were at other than I have this memory of
> being at timberline and wanting to take a lunch. It was windy with a
> bit of snow on the ground, must have been early winter season.
> We got the space blanket out to try it out and see if it'd work as a
> wind breaker wrapped around the windy side of the two of us.
> I don't know what started the tears in the mylar [sharp rock, tiny
> sharp bushes or just the cold] but it was in shreds within 15 minutes.

From caving, and local (NM) backpacking practice--carry a good quality,
large trashbag as an emergency shelter/raincoat--tear resistant. I
haven't tried that in really cold weather though. To get deluxe,
especially in snowy weather, carry a shortened closed cell pad and sit
on that to keep your rear warm during breaks or bivouacs. Some people
still carry the reinforced space blankets, but I haven't seen that kind
for sale lately.

Pat

Eugene Miya

Jun 10, 2006, 10:05:08 PM6/10/06
In article <1149945660.1...@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Igloo Ed <ord...@grandshelters.com> wrote:
>> space blankets.

> We got the space blanket out to try it out and see if it'd work as a
>wind breaker wrapped around the windy side of the two of us.
> I don't know what started the tears in the mylar [sharp rock, tiny
>sharp bushes or just the cold] but it was in shreds within 15 minutes.

8^)

Well you know your "survival experts" when you encounter a one who has
never used one overnight.

I stopped counting. To be fair, there are 2 types and I am certain the
heavier more expensive one is better. Maybe I will get one one of htese
days..... Or some one will buy me one to test. And carry it for me.

>> Sorry, no extra polar bear/fox photos in camp.

>> for lefteyepro.
>
> Heh, with all of the cards of his that are on my wall, I should
>probably give him a bit of business.

You should
He has so many polar bears, and they are so cluddly and cute, and hungry
looking, around the bloody whale carcasses in some cases. I try to
start with a wolverine, then your PB, then who knows....

Mary Malmros

Jun 10, 2006, 10:48:36 PM6/10/06
eug...@cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya) wrote in news:448a654c$1@darkstar:

> space blankets.
>
> In article <l6mk82152jss544ln...@4ax.com>,
> Cyli <cyl...@gmsil.com.invalid> wrote:
>>I've got one but haven't used it. I don't winter camp, so it's been
>>kept in the vehicle for any winter road emergencies. Seems to be of
>>the same texture and apparent durability as the popular in campgrounds
>>blue plastic tarps.
>
> After passing the basics, every one should spend the night in a forest
> using one as if one was in an emergency. Then people can realize the
> joke of their limitations.

I have done, but I've never used it for heat, like a mid-day shelter or
something like that.

Mary Malmros

Jun 10, 2006, 10:50:27 PM6/10/06
Gary S. <Idon...@spam.net> wrote in

> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:06:17 GMT, Mary Malmros
> <malmro...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Gary S. <Idon...@spam.net> wrote in
>>
>>[re: ER drinks]
>>> More useful if you make your own from the powder, rather than buying
>>> premade.
>>
>>I make my own powder, using corn sugar (faster uptake), potassium and
>>magnesium tabs, some salt, and unsweeted kool ade powder for flavor. I
>>keep tweaking with it, but the basic recipe is one I like a lot.
>
> Where would one purchase corn sugar?
>
> Do the large "natural" food stores have it, or a specialty retailer
> like a brewing supplier?

I get mine from a brewing supplier -- only place I've seen it, but I really
haven't looked for it anywhere else.

> The potassium and magnesium I would think are available through a
> place that sells vitamins and supplements.

Yep. Powder in gel caps.

Cyli

Jun 10, 2006, 10:52:43 PM6/10/06
On 9 Jun 2006 23:23:08 -0700, eug...@cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya) wrote:

>space blankets.
>
>In article <l6mk82152jss544ln...@4ax.com>,
>Cyli <cyl...@gmsil.com.invalid> wrote:
>>I've got one but haven't used it. I don't winter camp, so it's been
>>kept in the vehicle for any winter road emergencies. Seems to be of
>>the same texture and apparent durability as the popular in campgrounds
>>blue plastic tarps.
>
>After passing the basics, every one should spend the night in a forest
>using one as if one was in an emergency. Then people can realize the
>joke of their limitations.

I did spend some time using one of the cheapies as my only blanket
(with no sleeping bag) in some normal Wisconsin end of May weather.
All I can say for them after the second night (it got colder) is that
I was really glad to be wearing a body (but not leg) covering neoprene
wet suit. Had I had only normal clothing along, I'd have been leaving
the kayak to drift downstream and I'd have been climbing the nearest
ravine to get up to a farmhouse for warmth.

I understand the limit ions of the cheap ones. But they're cheap and
easy to carry along and sometimes they may be the best difference one
can make of a bad situation. I assume the limitations of the heavier
ones aren't all that much better. But they're a difference.

Since I understand my own limitations fairly well and don't care for
cold weather, I'm seldom in a situation where there would be any need
for them. Some fleece and some rain gear are my goto items.

>Sorry, no extra polar bear/fox photos in camp. Mary cleaned them out.
>None in Fairbanks, none in Barrow Deadhorse as far as I could tell.
>Anchorage is the last chance. But you can get them from the web site
>for lefteyepro.

Well, whine, whine, and whine. I'll manage.

Hmm. Lefteyepro? Okay. Reconstruction. But they've got directions
to another page. Is this some kind of test of our patience? If so,
you win. They've got some of the eenysiest teensyiest pics I've ever
viewed on the Web.

Eugene Miya

Jun 10, 2006, 11:23:31 PM6/10/06

In article <6c0n82d5orektj73j...@4ax.com>,
Cyli <cyl...@gmsil.com.invalid> wrote:
>I understand the limitations of the cheap ones. But they're cheap and

>easy to carry along and sometimes they may be the best difference one
>can make of a bad situation. I assume the limitations of the heavier
>ones aren't all that much better. But they're a difference.

As others and Gary have noted bad situations tend to be cascading failures.
I think that the margin offered by thin mylar ir at best that marginal.
One might likley always find the one case. I would rather carry decent
clothing that just a thick SB.

>Since I understand my own limitations fairly well and don't care for
>cold weather, I'm seldom in a situation where there would be any need
>for them. Some fleece and some rain gear are my goto items.

Got to 60F on the North Slope and higher 40s in early morning.
Night what's that?

>>Sorry, no extra polar bear/fox photos in camp.
>

>Well, whine, whine, and whine. I'll manage.

Whinge, whinge, whinge. Monku, monku, monku.

>Hmm. Lefteyepro? Okay. Reconstruction. But they've got directions
>to another page. Is this some kind of test of our patience? If so,
>you win. They've got some of the eenysiest teensyiest pics I've ever
>viewed on the Web.

I think Steven is trying to make a business.
At least in the Polar Bear case, Ed get curious not pads.

Gary S.

Jun 11, 2006, 3:51:28 PM6/11/06
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 02:50:27 GMT, Mary Malmros
<malmro...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

>Gary S. <Idon...@spam.net> wrote in

>> Where would one purchase corn sugar?
>>
>> Do the large "natural" food stores have it, or a specialty retailer
>> like a brewing supplier?
>
>I get mine from a brewing supplier -- only place I've seen it, but I really
>haven't looked for it anywhere else.
>
>> The potassium and magnesium I would think are available through a
>> place that sells vitamins and supplements.
>
>Yep. Powder in gel caps.

Thanks. Will have to get to one of the brewing suppliers.

I would prefer to have ER replacement drinks that actually taste all
right. DIY seems to be the way.

Gary S.

Jun 11, 2006, 3:58:11 PM6/11/06
On 10 Jun 2006 19:05:08 -0700, eug...@cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya)
wrote:

>In article <1149945660.1...@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

>Igloo Ed <ord...@grandshelters.com> wrote:
>>> space blankets.
>>
>> We got the space blanket out to try it out and see if it'd work as a
>>wind breaker wrapped around the windy side of the two of us.
>> I don't know what started the tears in the mylar [sharp rock, tiny
>>sharp bushes or just the cold] but it was in shreds within 15 minutes.
>
>8^)
>
>Well you know your "survival experts" when you encounter a one who has
>never used one overnight.
>
>I stopped counting. To be fair, there are 2 types and I am certain the
>heavier more expensive one is better. Maybe I will get one one of htese
>days..... Or some one will buy me one to test. And carry it for me.

The small ones are considered disposable, often a giveaway at
marathons, etc. Keep in mind that the only way to fold it as small
again is to use the machine they have at the factory.

Also, these age in the package, and after a few years could crack at
the folds when you pull it out.

The heavier one is surprisingly durable. We have used them to lift a
person as part of many first aid workshops (care and technique are
helpful). I have also used an older one as a ground sheet under my
tent, and it puts up with a lot of abuse.

There is also another material, more fabric like, very durable, sold
in the form of sheets and bivy bags by a company which sells a
packages a lot of outdoor first aid gear, name escapes me right now.

Mary Malmros

Jun 11, 2006, 7:33:16 PM6/11/06
Gary S. <Idon...@spam.net> wrote in

> On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 02:50:27 GMT, Mary Malmros
> <malmro...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Gary S. <Idon...@spam.net> wrote in
>>
>>> Where would one purchase corn sugar?
>>>
>>> Do the large "natural" food stores have it, or a specialty retailer
>>> like a brewing supplier?
>>
>>I get mine from a brewing supplier -- only place I've seen it, but I
>>really haven't looked for it anywhere else.
>>
>>> The potassium and magnesium I would think are available through a
>>> place that sells vitamins and supplements.
>>
>>Yep. Powder in gel caps.
>
> Thanks. Will have to get to one of the brewing suppliers.
>
> I would prefer to have ER replacement drinks that actually taste all
> right. DIY seems to be the way.

Well, also, experimentation is pretty cheap compared to buying a powdered
ER drink. As I said, my formula will be noticeably saltier than what you
get from Gatorade or Powerade or any of those, but I like it.

fossil

Jun 11, 2006, 8:20:08 PM6/11/06

"Gary S." <Idon...@spam.net> wrote in message

> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:06:17 GMT, Mary Malmros
> <malmro...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Gary S. <Idon...@spam.net> wrote in
>>
>>[re: ER drinks]
>>> More useful if you make your own from the powder, rather than buying
>>> premade.
>>
>>I make my own powder, using corn sugar (faster uptake), potassium and
>>magnesium tabs, some salt, and unsweeted kool ade powder for flavor. I
>>keep tweaking with it, but the basic recipe is one I like a lot.
>
> Where would one purchase corn sugar?

Could use Karo Corn Syrup. Or better yet, use pre powdered/syrup fructose.

Eugene Miya

Jun 12, 2006, 1:18:56 AM6/12/06
In article <23to8295nttp7sas5...@4ax.com>,
Gary S. <Gary S.,> wrote:

>The small ones are considered disposable, often a giveaway at
>marathons, etc. Keep in mind that the only way to fold it as small
>again is to use the machine they have at the factory.

They are still jokes.

>Also, these age in the package, and after a few years could crack at
>the folds when you pull it out.

8^)
Hey they were entertaining when they were $2.

>The heavier one is surprisingly durable.

>There is also another material, more fabric like, very durable, sold

>Happy trails,

Trails? This is sauna night. 45. more min.

> Needham, MA, USA

Not getting a card unless I reget street addr.
Not certain where I misplaced it, but I know you sent it before.
You will get a Deadhorse postmark whereas othersd will get Floyd's home
town of Barrow Th to Sun. Any arrive yet?

Mary Malmros

Jun 12, 2006, 8:15:22 AM6/12/06
"fossil" <xpea...@pacbell.net> wrote in

A syrup, better yet? Or fructose in any form? Don't think so. But if you
can't find a brewer's supply store and don't want to mailorder, and you can
somehow find powdered fructose, I suppose you could do that.

Ed Huesers

Jun 13, 2006, 5:30:06 PM6/13/06
Eugene Miya wrote:
>>> space blankets.
> Well you know your "survival experts" when you encounter a one who has
> never used one overnight.

It is amazing how warm they feel when held next to the skin.

> I stopped counting. To be fair, there are 2 types and I am certain the
> heavier more expensive one is better. Maybe I will get one one of htese
> days..... Or some one will buy me one to test. And carry it for me.

Well, you're on for next winter season then. Carrying if for you
would be one of the easiest ways to get you to come to Vail.

> He has so many polar bears, and they are so cluddly and cute, and hungry
> looking, around the bloody whale carcasses in some cases. I try to
> start with a wolverine, then your PB, then who knows....

What a life, wildlife photographer.

Ed Huesers
http://www.grandshelters.com

Ed Huesers

Jun 13, 2006, 11:36:54 PM6/13/06
Eugene Miya wrote:
> Trails? This is sauna night. 45. more min.

I bet the skeets love your skin after that.

> You will get a Deadhorse postmark whereas othersd will get Floyd's home
> town of Barrow Th to Sun. Any arrive yet?

Got mine today, Aurora with glowing tent in the Brooks, postmarked
the 8th in Floyd Land.
Do you hear chandeliers in the heat of day or is the pond ice free
this year?

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com

Eugene Miya

Jun 14, 2006, 12:41:12 AM6/14/06
In article <1xLjg.47$872....@news.uswest.net>,

Ed Huesers <e...@grandshelters.com> wrote:
>Eugene Miya wrote:
>> Trails? This is sauna night. 45. more min.
>
> I bet the skeets love your skin after that.

The heat and cold (lake) are great for bites.
In the end. I didn't go. But Mary Anne, one of the great frozen lake
jumpers appeared. So I have to wait until Wed. (1/2 way pt on this
trip).

>> postmark

>> of Barrow Th to Sun. Any arrive yet?
>
> Got mine today, Aurora with glowing tent in the Brooks, postmarked
>the 8th in Floyd Land.
> Do you hear chandeliers in the heat of day or is the pond ice free
>this year?

People were still able to walk on the lake today. >75% coverage
still, but it was warmer before the rain today.

Maybe later. Ideally you want a breeze.

Eugene Miya

Jun 14, 2006, 12:44:42 AM6/14/06
In article <J%Fjg.35$872....@news.uswest.net>,

> It is amazing how warm they feel when held next to the skin.

Reduces convection.

>> days..... Or some one will buy me one to test. And carry it for me.
>
> Well, you're on for next winter season then. Carrying if for you
>would be one of the easiest ways to get you to come to Vail.

I am usually conscious about carried weight (this contrasts that I don't
complain about carrying a rack and a rope: where friends complain about
carrying a shotgun or rifle, I just regard that like I regard a rack and rope).

>> He has so many polar bears, and they are so cluddly and cute, and hungry
>> looking, around the bloody whale carcasses in some cases. I try to
>> start with a wolverine, then your PB, then who knows....
>
> What a life, wildlife photographer.

Like Rowell and Clevenger, people trying to make a living.
I think Steven appears better than most.
Big lenses.

David

Jun 14, 2006, 9:32:47 PM6/14/06

But do you ever just simply hanker for a cool drink of plain water. Or
just perhaps to pour some in your floppy hat and dump it over your
head, put hat on and enjoy the air conditioning?

Just wondering. :-)

david N.

Ed Huesers

Jun 14, 2006, 11:19:11 PM6/14/06

Eugene Miya wrote:
> The heat and cold (lake) are great for bites.

Yeah, I've gone in my sauna with a few bites, pretty much gone after
the bath.

> In the end. I didn't go. But Mary Anne, one of the great frozen lake
> jumpers appeared.

Jumper? Heh, we once played a game by stepping on a floating chunk
of the vertical crystal ice and then back onto the main ice. Each time
the chunk went under water and when it came up, ice crystals would wash
off making the chunk smaller. The last fella split it and went in up to
his waist.

> So I have to wait until Wed. (1/2 way pt on this
> trip).

7:15 your time... must be hot.

>> Do you hear chandeliers in the heat of day or is the pond ice free
>>this year?

> People were still able to walk on the lake today.

Amazing how strong those crystals are when locked together, but
pliable too.

>75% coverage still, but it was warmer before the rain today.

As long as there are vertical edges, the crystals should be falling.

> Maybe later. Ideally you want a breeze.

Yes, when the chunks run into each other or shore/rock lots of
crystals fall. But, the heat of the day can cause them to calve off.
Those are so quiet that you need to be right there to hear them.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com

Eugene Miya

Jun 15, 2006, 1:42:01 AM6/15/06

In article <Xk4kg.22$b%6.5...@news.uswest.net>,

Ed Huesers <e...@grandshelters.com> wrote:
>>> I bet the skeets love your skin after that.

>> The heat and cold (lake) are great for bites.
>
> Yeah, I've gone in my sauna with a few bites, pretty much gone after
>the bath.

Started raining hard.
Sauna no question now.

>> one of the great frozen lake jumpers appeared.
>
> Jumper? Heh, we once played a game by stepping on a floating chunk
>of the vertical crystal ice and then back onto the main ice. Each time
>the chunk went under water and when it came up, ice crystals would wash
>off making the chunk smaller. The last fella split it and went in up to
>his waist.

Oh some of the other did that "the other night."

>> So I have to wait until Wed. (1/2 way pt on this trip).
>
> 7:15 your time... must be hot.

Approaching 10 PM my time.

>>> Do you hear chandeliers in the heat of day or is the pond ice free
>>>this year?
>> People were still able to walk on the lake today.
>
> Amazing how strong those crystals are when locked together, but
>pliable too.

You don't need a lot for float, but we are beyond that now.

We call this the Shackleton period with boats.

>>75% coverage still, but it was warmer before the rain today.
> As long as there are vertical edges, the crystals should be falling.

More holes opening up.

>> Maybe later. Ideally you want a breeze.
>
> Yes, when the chunks run into each other or shore/rock lots of
>crystals fall. But, the heat of the day can cause them to calve off.
>Those are so quiet that you need to be right there to hear them.

We can't put the pier out until the ice is gone because it will collide
with the pier. We'll see. I should shave this evening, too.

So you got amused by the card for all its opposites.
Others got wolverines, PBs, and grizzly bears.

Ed Huesers

Jun 15, 2006, 10:14:09 PM6/15/06
Eugene Miya wrote:

> Started raining hard.
> Sauna no question now.

Can't tell if you mean the warmth will feel good and a dreary
overcast day or if you have a solar sauna and it ain't working to good.
Ya ain't said much about what kinda sauna it is.
I'm sure it won't work for the 200 degree club.

> Ed Huesers wrote:
>> Heh, we once played a game by stepping on a floating chunk
>>of the vertical crystal ice and then back onto the main ice. Each time
>>the chunk went under water and when it came up, ice crystals would wash
>>off making the chunk smaller. The last fella split it and went in up to
>>his waist.

> Oh some of the other did that "the other night."

We probably had some stupid rule like ya had to take a chug of beer
before your turn.
Dirt that had blown onto the ice with the winter's snows soaked up
the heat of the sun and melted holes through the ice.

> Approaching 10 PM my time.

Ah, those long days, I miss them.

>>>People were still able to walk on the lake today.
>> Amazing how strong those crystals are when locked together, but
>>pliable too.
> You don't need a lot for float, but we are beyond that now.

I haven't actually floated on a chunk of that stuff since I was 12
or so. We came back a couple days later to do it again and the ice was
nearly all gone.
There were lots of small ponds north of the Missouri. The south side
had drainage.

> We call this the Shackleton period with boats.

I remember the scenes in the movie, pretty wet.

>>>75% coverage still, but it was warmer before the rain today.
>> As long as there are vertical edges, the crystals should be falling.
> More holes opening up.

I wouldn't think you have much blowing dirt to cause the holes...

> We can't put the pier out until the ice is gone because it will collide
> with the pier.

Sounds like some of your research is in the pond?

> I should shave this evening, too.

How many you got?

> So you got amused by the card for all its opposites.
> Others got wolverines, PBs, and grizzly bears.

Son and I will be doing something this summer, having decided what
yet. He's never seen the super volcano, I wonder if they have a Yogi
post mark...
I want to go back again in winter also and hope I choose a snowy year.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com

Eugene Miya

Jun 16, 2006, 3:08:29 AM6/16/06

In article <Vtokg.26$ik....@news.uswest.net>,

Ed Huesers <e...@grandshelters.com> wrote:
> Can't tell if you mean the warmth will feel good and a dreary
>overcast day or if you have a solar sauna and it ain't working to good.
> Ya ain't said much about what kinda sauna it is.
> I'm sure it won't work for the 200 degree club.

I got there late and had to raise it from 150F to 175F.
Then 2-3 other guys came later but I went toward bedtime about 1215.
Just a shack next to a near frozen lake. I think 8 men and women is the
mosst I've ever seen in it. We just got the water system workong
Monday.

The amazing thing which happened last night was our camp helo was still
out. It came back during the tail end of the rain, and 15 min. later
the whole camp was socked in via fog. I mean serious lethal flying fog
(a student was killed in another crash a couple years earlier during an
early season survey).

Naw I passed 200f long time ago.
300f is the target some day. Maybe.

> > Ed Huesers wrote:
>>> Heh, we once played a game by stepping on a floating chunk
>>>of the vertical crystal ice and then back onto the main ice. Each time
>>>the chunk went under water and when it came up, ice crystals would wash
>>>off making the chunk smaller. The last fella split it and went in up to
>>>his waist.

naw, our lake is up to 80 ft. deep.

> We probably had some stupid rule like ya had to take a chug of beer
>before your turn.
> Dirt that had blown onto the ice with the winter's snows soaked up
>the heat of the sun and melted holes through the ice.

Deep lake is dark enough.

>> Approaching 10 PM my time.
> Ah, those long days, I miss them.

The sun doesn't set here.

>>> Amazing how strong those crystals are when locked together, but
>>>pliable too.
>> You don't need a lot for float, but we are beyond that now.
>
> I haven't actually floated on a chunk of that stuff since I was 12
>or so. We came back a couple days later to do it again and the ice was
>nearly all gone.
> There were lots of small ponds north of the Missouri. The south side
>had drainage.

Well that's of interest to the military. The seige of Stalingrad
survived because the Soviets knew how much weight a load truck at
certain spacing required so much ice. Similarly a loaded C-17 only
needs 6 ft. of sea ice to land on it.

You want the country to win right?

>> We call this the Shackleton period with boats.
> I remember the scenes in the movie, pretty wet.

Yeah, those guys didn't think much of falling into the water,
changing clothes and getting into the sack.

>>> As long as there are vertical edges, the crystals should be falling.
>> More holes opening up.
>
> I wouldn't think you have much blowing dirt to cause the holes...

Little blowing dirt. Deep lake.

>> We can't put the pier out until the ice is gone because it will collide
>> with the pier.
>
> Sounds like some of your research is in the pond?

Not ours.

> > I should shave this evening, too.
>
> How many you got?

How many whats? I'll do it once a week.
Where guys are clueless is how many really cute women are in this camp.
One looks like a young Uma Thurman, and another looks like a shorter,
young Jeri Ryan. To say nothing of a crew who came in today.

>> So you got amused by the card for all its opposites.
>> Others got wolverines, PBs, and grizzly bears.
>
> Son and I will be doing something this summer, having decided what
>yet. He's never seen the super volcano, I wonder if they have a Yogi
>post mark...
> I want to go back again in winter also and hope I choose a snowy year.

No Yogi post mark. That's a Hanna-Barbera trade mark I think.
I think you can have customized personalilzed stamps now.

What we saw yesterday included a ptarmigan (in the middle of changing
colors) and a warthog flew along the pipeline at low altitude (they are
holding manevuers in the Arctic).

I got my hardware from Stanford running.

Ilja Friedel

Jun 16, 2006, 10:30:31 AM6/16/06
Eugene Miya <eug...@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> Naw I passed 200f long time ago.
> 300f is the target some day. Maybe.

Cryotherapy will give you an instant 300'F, 400'F if you combine it with a
sauna.

> Similarly a loaded C-17 only needs 6 ft. of sea ice to land on it.
> You want the country to win right?

Baghdad ice? Keeps the drinks cold and the troups motivated.

Ilja.

Eugene Miya

Jun 17, 2006, 1:00:24 AM6/17/06
In article <e6ufa7$dn7$1...@naig.caltech.edu>,
Ilja Friedel <il...@inky.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> 200f
>> 300f
>
>Cryotherapy will give you an instant 300'F, 400'F if you combine it with a
>sauna.

True.
As in Unit 731, they showed a guy get his hand immersed in LN2 in an
effort to duplicate the research of their German (Nazi) colleagues
in their research on frostbite. Then they took the guy's hand ans
struck it against a table.

>> Similarly a loaded C-17 only needs 6 ft. of sea ice to land on it.
>> You want the country to win right?
>

>Baghdad ice? Keeps the drinks cold and the troops motivated.

I think that was for the prior [cold] war.

Think Apoc Now but in the Northern cold regions or maybe the high Himal.

Ilja Friedel

Jun 18, 2006, 7:08:25 PM6/18/06
Thanks for your postcard! It arrived Friday. Is it ok to park a car next to a Wolverine?

Eugene Miya <eug...@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> In article <e6ufa7$dn7$1...@naig.caltech.edu>,
> Ilja Friedel <il...@inky.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> Cryotherapy will give you an instant 300'F, 400'F if you combine it with a
>> sauna.

> As in Unit 731, they showed a guy get his hand immersed in LN2 in an
> effort to duplicate the research of their German (Nazi) colleagues
> in their research on frostbite. Then they took the guy's hand ans
> struck it against a table.

It is sad that the Germans and Japanese have such an awful common history!
It also makes me wonder how the Japanes emporer managed to escape the
notority of our leader. (Maybe he did not and the Chinese and Koreans
remember him as well as the western media A.H.)

But, I did not mean anything cruel like that. A friend of ours gets
cryotherapy on a regular schedule to easen the effect of some form of
rheumatism.

> Think Apoc Now but in the Northern cold regions or maybe the high Himal.

The wrath of god.

Ilja.

mkt

Jun 20, 2006, 12:45:52 AM6/20/06
Steve T wrote:
> Suggest a lightweight umbrella that you add a reflective mylar skin atop of
> (got this tip from Jardine's book) instead of a hat. The umbrella will keep
> the sun off the head, provide a tad more shade, and let the natural air
> cooling of the head to take place.

Sounds fine for calm days or light breezes, but what about gusts of
wind? An umbrella hat sounds like something that'd be prone to getting
blown either inside out or off the head (or worse, getting blown
around, with my head still attached). Size is an issue too, I don't
even use the big straw hats on hikes, they provide great shade but when
the undergrowth starts pressing in, they get caught in branches.

Calm days in the desert, an umbrella hat sounds fine. But how do they
perform in brushy terrain, or on windy mountainsides?

--MKT

Eugene Miya

Jun 20, 2006, 1:45:21 AM6/20/06
In article <e74md9$nqk$2...@naig.caltech.edu>,

Ilja Friedel <il...@sue.caltech.edu> wrote:
>Thanks for your postcard! It arrived Friday.
>Is it ok to park a car next to a Wolverine?

Depends on the temperature.
Could be safe. Could be dangerous.

>>> Cryotherapy will give you an instant 300'F,

>> struck it against a table.
>
>It is sad that the Germans and Japanese have such an awful common history!
>It also makes me wonder how the Japanes emporer managed to escape the
>notority of our leader. (Maybe he did not and the Chinese and Koreans
>remember him as well as the western media A.H.)

Oh, I suspect that all humans are capable of that and no specific nationality.
Nations are comparatively recent inventions.

I think MacArthur went to bat for the Emperor. I think more blame was
placed on PM Tojo/Togo and his generals. But that is oversimplified.
Different cultures.

>But, I did not mean anything cruel like that. A friend of ours gets
>cryotherapy on a regular schedule to easen the effect of some form of
>rheumatism.

A lot of medicine is pretty brutal. It mostly all came from war
fighting and the aftermath.

>> Think Apoc Now but in the Northern cold regions or maybe the high Himal.
>The wrath of god.

Not quite Werner Herzog.
Did once think one could be a military officer in climbing like Lt. Col.
Kilgore skiing and heloing around the border even before that Ride of
the Valkires scene.

Eugene Miya

Jun 20, 2006, 2:12:49 AM6/20/06
In article <1150778752....@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

mkt <tam...@oxy.edu> wrote:
>Steve T wrote:
>> Suggest a lightweight umbrella that you add a reflective mylar skin atop of
>> (got this tip from Jardine's book) instead of a hat. The umbrella will keep
>> the sun off the head, provide a tad more shade, and let the natural air
>> cooling of the head to take place.
>
>Sounds fine for calm days or light breezes, but what about gusts of
>wind?

Have a strong umbrella.

> An umbrella hat sounds like something that'd be prone to getting
>blown either inside out or off the head (or worse, getting blown
>around, with my head still attached).

After seeing Lily Tomlin twice in The Search for Signs of Intelligent
Life in the Universe (also a book with Jane Wagner) I got an umbrella hat.
It's more a Halloween joke. If you don't want to hold it in your hand,
you can attache to a pack.

I just used mine today.

> Size is an issue too, I don't
>even use the big straw hats on hikes, they provide great shade but when
>the undergrowth starts pressing in, they get caught in branches.

I have one of those ethnic cooley hats as well.
They aren't bad.

>Calm days in the desert, an umbrella hat sounds fine. But how do they
>perform in brushy terrain, or on windy mountainsides?

Used as a walking aid, with the right timing they can push side brush.
This is not deployed.

Materials are important.
A wooden staff does not cut it.
Fiberglass barely does.
The metal one I got from SC'05 has a good steel staft.
We've used it to anchor tape measures at a thermo karst yesterday.

The price was right. Free. Conference give away.
Survived the baggage handlers of Alaska Air.
I was skiing in Yosemite a few times in slop with an umbrella
in the pack. Things are workable to a point.

Pat O'Connell

Jun 20, 2006, 3:12:43 PM6/20/06
mkt wrote:
> Steve T wrote:
>> Suggest a lightweight umbrella that you add a reflective mylar skin atop of
>> (got this tip from Jardine's book) instead of a hat. The umbrella will keep
>> the sun off the head, provide a tad more shade, and let the natural air
>> cooling of the head to take place.
>
> Sounds fine for calm days or light breezes, but what about gusts of
> wind? An umbrella hat sounds like something that'd be prone to getting

Not good. Deserts tend to be windy, too.

I wear brimmed hats with chinstraps. Sometimes even the chinstrap isn't
enough.

--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]
Take nothing but pictures, Leave nothing but footprints,
Kill nothing but vandals...

Pat O'Connell

Jun 20, 2006, 3:37:55 PM6/20/06
Eugene Miya wrote:
> In article <1150778752....@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> mkt <tam...@oxy.edu> wrote:
>>Steve T wrote:
>>> Suggest a lightweight umbrella that you add a reflective mylar skin atop of
>>> (got this tip from Jardine's book) instead of a hat. The umbrella will keep
>>> the sun off the head, provide a tad more shade, and let the natural air
>>> cooling of the head to take place.
>>
>>Sounds fine for calm days or light breezes, but what about gusts of
>>wind?
>
> Have a strong umbrella.
>

>> An umbrella hat sounds like something that'd be prone to getting
>>blown either inside out or off the head (or worse, getting blown
>>around, with my head still attached).
>
> After seeing Lily Tomlin twice in The Search for Signs of Intelligent
> Life in the Universe (also a book with Jane Wagner) I got an umbrella hat.
> It's more a Halloween joke. If you don't want to hold it in your hand,
> you can attache to a pack.

Opus the Penguin has one that shows up in the comic strip from time to time.

> I just used mine today.
>
>> Size is an issue too, I don't
>>even use the big straw hats on hikes, they provide great shade but when
>>the undergrowth starts pressing in, they get caught in branches.
>
> I have one of those ethnic cooley hats as well.
> They aren't bad.
>
>>Calm days in the desert, an umbrella hat sounds fine. But how do they
>>perform in brushy terrain, or on windy mountainsides?
>
> Used as a walking aid, with the right timing they can push side brush.
> This is not deployed.
>
> Materials are important.
> A wooden staff does not cut it.

> Fiberglass barely does.

> The metal one I got from SC'05 has a good steel staft.

Had a metal umbrella in college (Purdue) where that kind was considered
the thing to use in bad weather. However, many metal umbrellas still
died because of the wind; flipped inside out, then ripped apart.

> We've used it to anchor tape measures at a thermo karst yesterday.
>
> The price was right. Free. Conference give away.
> Survived the baggage handlers of Alaska Air.

Free is good, but you get what you pay for.

> I was skiing in Yosemite a few times in slop with an umbrella
> in the pack. Things are workable to a point.

I still like ponchos or rain jackets. Good ponchos are getting hard to
find, other than the heavy (but sturdy) military surplus kind.

Galen Hekhuis

Jun 20, 2006, 4:03:16 PM6/20/06
On 19 Jun 2006 23:12:49 -0700, eug...@cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya) wrote:

> .... thermo karst....

What is "thermo karst"?

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA ghek...@earthlink.net
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.

Puppet_Sock

Jun 20, 2006, 5:51:47 PM6/20/06
Somebody mentioned in this thread the trick of freezing the
rehydration bag the night before a day trip.

Tried this on the wkdn for a day hike. Mmmm! I gotta say!
Hiking along in 33C (85F) temperature, having that ice water
in the hose over the shoulder was pretty damn spiffy! It was
very nice to have the bag to pull out and push on my neck
and wrists and such also.

My suggestion is to experiment with not filling it all the way
full before freezing. It didn't melt fast enough to keep up.
If I had started with about half ice and half water it would
have been pretty close to optimal.
Socks

Ilja Friedel

Jun 20, 2006, 7:38:11 PM6/20/06
Eugene Miya <eug...@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
>>It is sad that the Germans and Japanese have such an awful common history!
>>It also makes me wonder how the Japanes emporer managed to escape the
>>notority of our leader. (Maybe he did not and the Chinese and Koreans
>>remember him as well as the western media A.H.)

> Oh, I suspect that all humans are capable of that and no specific nationality.
> Nations are comparatively recent inventions.

I agree that on an individual basis humans of any nationality are capable of
committing atrocities. Some cultures (if ou prefer that word) are better
organized. They made use of state-of-the-art IBM punchcard machines to
filter the population. Then again, a Rwandan friend claimed they had less
than 100 computers in the country in the 90's.

> I think MacArthur went to bat for the Emperor. I think more blame was
> placed on PM Tojo/Togo and his generals. But that is oversimplified.
> Different cultures.

Wikipedia has very little on Togo. Will spend more time with that.

> A lot of medicine is pretty brutal. It mostly all came from war
> fighting and the aftermath.

Viagra, Cialis, Cocaine, Heroine, LSD etc.

> Did once think one could be a military officer in climbing like Lt. Col.
> Kilgore skiing and heloing around the border even before that Ride of
> the Valkires scene.

German officers hissing the flag on Mt Elbrus instead of going for the oil
fields in Grosny and Baku?

Ilja.

Pat O'Connell

Jun 20, 2006, 10:36:55 PM6/20/06
Galen Hekhuis wrote:
> On 19 Jun 2006 23:12:49 -0700, eug...@cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya) wrote:
>
>> .... thermo karst....
>
> What is "thermo karst"?

Probably the travertine mounds generated by thermal springs, like the
ones in Yellowstone. There are some dead ones and at least one live one
(Soda Dam) in NM.

> Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA ghek...@earthlink.net
> Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand.

Ed Huesers

Jun 20, 2006, 11:36:55 PM6/20/06
Eugene Miya wrote:

> I got there late and had to raise it from 150F to 175F.

I know my stove [wood burning] well enough that with the settings I
use, it goes right up to 160f. and then creeps to 165f.

> Then 2-3 other guys came later but I went toward bedtime about 1215.

Long day, I miss them.

> Just a shack next to a near frozen lake.

That'll work if it's sealed good enough.

> I think 8 men and women is the
> mosst I've ever seen in it.

Mine works for 3 well, four isn't to bad if one wants to socialize.

> We just got the water system workong Monday.

I have a cold tank to jump into.

> The amazing thing which happened last night was our camp helo was still
> out. It came back during the tail end of the rain, and 15 min. later
> the whole camp was socked in via fog. I mean serious lethal flying fog
> (a student was killed in another crash a couple years earlier during an
> early season survey).

I suppose with the ocean being that close, fog would be common.

> Naw I passed 200f long time ago.
> 300f is the target some day. Maybe.

Well, 175 seems pretty high on the top end.

> naw, our lake is up to 80 ft. deep.

We were in 20 ft. on that lake.

>>>Approaching 10 PM my time.
>> Ah, those long days, I miss them.

> The sun doesn't set here.

ND didn't get pitch black in the summer.

>>>You don't need a lot for float

>> I haven't actually floated on a chunk of that stuff since I was 12
>>or so.

> Well that's of interest to the military. The seige of Stalingrad

> survived because the Soviets knew how much weight a load truck at
> certain spacing required so much ice. Similarly a loaded C-17 only
> needs 6 ft. of sea ice to land on it.

The ice on the Missouri never got over 3 ft. I saw 2 ft. lots of times.

> You want the country to win right?

Why must there be a wiener.

>>>We call this the Shackleton period with boats.
>> I remember the scenes in the movie, pretty wet.

> Yeah, those guys didn't think much of falling into the water,
> changing clothes and getting into the sack.

I think it was only one that lost fingers.

>>>More holes opening up.
>> I wouldn't think you have much blowing dirt to cause the holes...

> Little blowing dirt. Deep lake.

I don't know what you mean. Are there shallow areas in it that cause
the holes? I know vegetation giving off O2 makes bubbles in the ice.

>> Sounds like some of your research is in the pond?

> Not ours.

Busy place?

>> > I should shave this evening, too.
>> How many you got?

> How many whats?

Whiskers.

> I'll do it once a week.

whether you need it or not...
Archers would do better without whiskers.

> Where guys are clueless is how many really cute women are in this camp.
> One looks like a young Uma Thurman, and another looks like a shorter,
> young Jeri Ryan. To say nothing of a crew who came in today.

Yeah, busy place.

> What we saw yesterday included a ptarmigan (in the middle of changing
> colors)

I like how they look during the change, makes them stand out more so
you can see their size and shape better.

> and a warthog flew along the pipeline at low altitude (they are
> holding manevuers in the Arctic).

Hmm, I'd think that would be closed air space.

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com

Eugene Miya

Jun 21, 2006, 2:48:55 AM6/21/06

In article <j-Kdna3hZJkB0wXZ...@comcast.com>,
Pat O'Connell <gypkap.fi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Lily Tomlin in The Search for Signs of Intelligent

>> Life in the Universe (also a book with Jane Wagner) I got an umbrella hat.
>> It's more a Halloween joke. If you don't want to hold it in your hand,
>> you can attache to a pack.
>
>Opus the Penguin has one that shows up in the comic strip from time to time.

Oh yes.

>> I just used mine today.

Again.

>> Materials are important.
>> A wooden staff does not cut it.
>
>> Fiberglass barely does.
>
> > The metal one I got from SC'05 has a good steel staft.
>
>Had a metal umbrella in college (Purdue) where that kind was considered
>the thing to use in bad weather. However, many metal umbrellas still
>died because of the wind; flipped inside out, then ripped apart.

The metal one broke 2 struts in a strong wind today.
I see the problem. It attempted a strong solution.
Combine the metal ribs used on the fiberglass one.

>> The price was right. Free. Conference give away.
>> Survived the baggage handlers of Alaska Air.
>
>Free is good, but you get what you pay for.

True, but good value.
Just needs tweaking.

>> skiing in Yosemite a few times in slop with an umbrella
>> in the pack. Things are workable to a point.
>
>I still like ponchos or rain jackets. Good ponchos are getting hard to
>find, other than the heavy (but sturdy) military surplus kind.

Well I had the rain suit on today.
Ponchos I am less enthused.
The rain suit jacket is used for working of oil platforms and is pretty
good. I spent my whole 3 days of my bear class in the rain dry.
Blasting away at targets.

Eugene Miya

Jun 21, 2006, 2:50:13 AM6/21/06
In article <30lg92pv0s1el1si3...@4ax.com>,

Galen Hekhuis <ghek...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>On 19 Jun 2006 23:12:49 -0700, eug...@cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya) wrote:
>> .... thermo karst....
>
>What is "thermo karst"?

A place where the permafrost becomes less than permanently frozen.
The water then leaks out and the ground collapsesin the tundra.
Expect to see more of that in the future in the far North.

Eugene Miya

Jun 21, 2006, 2:51:00 AM6/21/06

In article <FMidnebwW_5MLQXZ...@comcast.com>,

Pat O'Connell <gypkap.fi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Probably the travertine mounds generated by thermal springs, like the
>ones in Yellowstone. There are some dead ones and at least one live one
>(Soda Dam) in NM.

Nope.

Eugene Miya

Jun 21, 2006, 3:02:55 AM6/21/06
In article <e7a0t3$7mh$1...@naig.caltech.edu>,
Ilja Friedel <il...@sue.caltech.edu> wrote:

You have to edit slightly better.

>>>It is sad that the Germans and Japanese have such an awful common history!
>>>It also makes me wonder how the Japanes emporer managed to escape the
>>>notority of our leader. (Maybe he did not and the Chinese and Koreans
>>>remember him as well as the western media A.H.)

>Eugene Miya <eug...@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
>> Oh, I suspect that all humans are capable of that and no specific nationality.
>> Nations are comparatively recent inventions.
>
>I agree that on an individual basis humans of any nationality are capable of

>committing atrocities. Some cultures (if you prefer that word) are better

>organized. They made use of state-of-the-art IBM punchcard machines to
>filter the population. Then again, a Rwandan friend claimed they had less
>than 100 computers in the country in the 90's.

Oh sure, the US and others did, too.

Naw, given the right conditions I would have no qualms about
slaughtering millions of humans. Technology makes much of this easier.

My old man didn't think much of the so-called My Lai massacre.

You would be amazed how constrainted people's thinking is.
Machine guns and grenades are really easy to use. But they are fragile
to a point/degree.

The bigger things, now those are interesting theory.

>> I think MacArthur went to bat for the Emperor. I think more blame was
>> placed on PM Tojo/Togo and his generals. But that is oversimplified.
>> Different cultures.
>
>Wikipedia has very little on Togo. Will spend more time with that.

English/US bias of European culture.
You want to ask the Chinese.

>> A lot of medicine is pretty brutal. It mostly all came from war
>> fighting and the aftermath.
>
>Viagra, Cialis, Cocaine, Heroine, LSD etc.

Well I knew a guy from the Atomic Bomb Commission.

>> Did once think one could be a military officer in climbing like Lt. Col.
>> Kilgore skiing and heloing around the border even before that Ride of
>> the Valkires scene.
>
>German officers hissing the flag on Mt Elbrus instead of going for the oil
>fields in Grosny and Baku?

Hey, look at that powder over there!
One guy can ski the left and another guy can ski the right.....

Eugene Miya

Jun 21, 2006, 3:15:33 AM6/21/06

In article <Sa3mg.32$SA3....@news.uswest.net>,

Ed Huesers <e...@grandshelters.com> wrote:
> I know my stove [wood burning] well enough that with the settings I
>use, it goes right up to 160f. and then creeps to 165f.

I skipped out.
I worked on a Denali topo map jigsaw puzzle.
In the AM, some one needed the lab space, but I was amazed how much I
was able to do via memory.

No time to finish. It will have to come back down in fall.

>> Then 2-3 other guys came later but I went toward bedtime about 1215.
>
> Long day, I miss them.

Best with the cute women.

>> Just a shack next to a near frozen lake.
>
> That'll work if it's sealed good enough.

Enough.

>> I think 8 men and women is the

>> mosts I've ever seen in it.

> Mine works for 3 well, four isn't to bad if one wants to socialize.

The Lake is the important thing.

>> We just got the water system working Monday.

> I have a cold tank to jump into.

Snow helps.

>> The amazing thing which happened last night was our camp helo was still
>> out. It came back during the tail end of the rain, and 15 min. later
>> the whole camp was socked in via fog. I mean serious lethal flying fog
>> (a student was killed in another crash a couple years earlier during an
>> early season survey).
>
> I suppose with the ocean being that close, fog would be common.

Naw, I think lake effect. We are over 150 miles in land.

Had a nice BLM talk about ANWR this evening.

>> Naw I passed 200f long time ago.
>> 300f is the target some day. Maybe.
>
> Well, 175 seems pretty high on the top end.

Naw, 200 f.

all tiny pieces now.

>> naw, our lake is up to 80 ft. deep.
>
> We were in 20 ft. on that lake.

Melting fast.

>>> Ah, those long days, I miss them.
>> The sun doesn't set here.
>
> ND didn't get pitch black in the summer.

Had to run out and take an awesome photo of a thunderhead over the Brooks.

> The ice on the Missouri never got over 3 ft. I saw 2 ft. lots of times.
>
>> You want the country to win right?
>
> Why must there be a wiener.

You can't think about losing lest you will lose.
The way to win is not to play.

>>> I remember the scenes in the movie, pretty wet.
>> Yeah, those guys didn't think much of falling into the water,
>> changing clothes and getting into the sack.
>
> I think it was only one that lost fingers.

Media.
The guys on the receiving end had fatalities.
You hear less about them.
Remember: you are brain washed. We are all brain washed.

>>> I wouldn't think you have much blowing dirt to cause the holes...
>> Little blowing dirt. Deep lake.
>
> I don't know what you mean. Are there shallow areas in it that cause
>the holes? I know vegetation giving off O2 makes bubbles in the ice.

No just open holes in the middle of the ice, not near the edges.

>>> Sounds like some of your research is in the pond?
>> Not ours.
>
> Busy place?

Really, today.
Barely got a seat at dinner.

>>> How many you got?
>> How many whats?
>
> Whiskers.

A few.
I'll shave tomorrow after sauna, before hopping on the plane.
615am departure to reach it.
On planes all Th. Can't stop to view cariboo or muskox.

!

>> Where guys are clueless is how many really cute women are in this camp.
>

> Yeah, busy place.

More came in today.

What a field to get into.

>> What we saw yesterday included a ptarmigan (in the middle of changing
>> colors)
>
> I like how they look during the change, makes them stand out more so
>you can see their size and shape better.

Found out all her eggs (9?) were destroyed maybe by a fox.
Maybe a vixen.

>> and a warthog flew along the pipeline at low altitude (they are
>> holding manevuers in the Arctic).
>
> Hmm, I'd think that would be closed air space.

Defense of the pipeline.

the Moderator

Jun 21, 2006, 10:35:38 AM6/21/06

"Puppet_Sock" <puppe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I have an insulated camel back so I just put mine in the fridge. Don't you
just love walking for a while and getting ready to take a nice gulp of cold
water and the first mouthful is all hot from being in the tube? I always
forget that the first sip is often going to be rather tepid. Sort of a
shock when you are expecting cold.

Wayne

Jun 21, 2006, 10:51:44 AM6/21/06

> I have an insulated camel back so I just put mine in the fridge. Don't
> you
> just love walking for a while and getting ready to take a nice gulp of
> cold
> water and the first mouthful is all hot from being in the tube? I always
> forget that the first sip is often going to be rather tepid. Sort of a
> shock when you are expecting cold.

So, just bite on the mouthpiece and gently blow the tepid water back into
the bladder. Then after a couple of seconds, you can get a nice cool drink.
Funny how you figure out these things when slogging uphill :)

Ernie W

Jun 21, 2006, 11:04:20 AM6/21/06
This is probably not a good idea. First blowing warm water back into the
main cold water will make your last water warm. But more importantly I
find that to keep the bags from growing stuff inside them is to keep
them clean and not give anything any food to grow on. Blowing backwash
back into the bag would blow a starting culture and some "food" back
into the bag.

Ernie

the Moderator

Jun 21, 2006, 12:31:24 PM6/21/06

"Wayne" <mygarb...@verizon.net> wrote in message

I don't think I will try that. When I think about it I spit out the first
mouthful, but I have to have a couple warm gulps before I remember.

Wayne

Jun 21, 2006, 1:02:08 PM6/21/06

"Ernie W" <Ern...@notmyrealemail.com> wrote in message
Well, maybe so, but you don't actually blow hard enough to get air back into
the bladder....just enough to get the water in the tube moved back about a
foot or so, so that it can cool down next to the cold bladder. I haven't
had any problems with keeping the bag clean.

Ilja Friedel

Jun 21, 2006, 4:13:17 PM6/21/06
Eugene Miya <eug...@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> You have to edit slightly better.

It is the second time that you are complaining about my editing. Analyzing
the situation I would say you want me to keep all the symbols (= authors)
for all depths of the stack (intendations). As I don't modify the
intendations I don't think there is any danger of misattribution.
And for legal purposes the references in the header should remove any
doubt. Or is there another reason?

> Naw, given the right conditions I would have no qualms about
> slaughtering millions of humans. Technology makes much of this easier.

Just think of it as a computer game!

>>Wikipedia has very little on Togo. Will spend more time with that.

> English/US bias of European culture.
> You want to ask the Chinese.

The Chinese are building their own Wikipedia. But they are free to edit
the existing articles. There are enough English speaking Amerasians to
fill the gaps.

> Hey, look at that powder over there!
> One guy can ski the left and another guy can ski the right.....

The good old times when people could catch flights on Russian army
helicopters for a bottle of vodka seem over now. But western tourists have
other means of getting up there.

Ilja.

Cyli

Jun 21, 2006, 9:18:42 PM6/21/06
On 21 Jun 2006 00:15:33 -0700, eug...@cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya)
wrote:

>Found out all her eggs (9?) were destroyed maybe by a fox.
>Maybe a vixen.

Good eating, good nutrition. Shouldn't let be go to waste raising
birds, now should it? Predation insures survival of the fittest,
right? Vixens improve the breeding of fitly nesting birds by only
letting those that know how to protect their eggs well survive.

>>> and a warthog flew along the pipeline at low altitude (they are
>>> holding manevuers in the Arctic).

Being more exposed to kid cartoons than military air info, my first
thought on that was to wonder whose butt it flew out of...
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless. Really.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Eugene Miya

Jun 22, 2006, 12:25:09 AM6/22/06
In article <e7c98t$p3o$1...@naig.caltech.edu>,

Ilja Friedel <il...@sue.caltech.edu> wrote:
>Eugene Miya <eug...@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
>> You have to edit slightly better.
>
>It is the second time that you are complaining about my editing. Analyzing
>the situation I would say you want me to keep all the symbols (= authors)
>for all depths of the stack (intendations). As I don't modify the
>intendations I don't think there is any danger of misattribution.
>And for legal purposes the references in the header should remove any
>doubt. Or is there another reason?

A comment.
The problem is serial reading versus the attempted stack based
discussion and memory system of computer people. I experiment with
serialization (a very powerful too).

Some people experiment with initials and indentation.

Just testing reality.

>> Naw, given the right conditions I would have no qualms about
>> slaughtering millions of humans. Technology makes much of this easier.
>
>Just think of it as a computer game!

I have played real, and very serious, war games.
Can be very relaxing.

>>>Wikipedia has very little on Togo. Will spend more time with that.
>
>> English/US bias of European culture.
>> You want to ask the Chinese.
>
>The Chinese are building their own Wikipedia. But they are free to edit
>the existing articles. There are enough English speaking Amerasians to
>fill the gaps.

I was talking to Jimmy Wales about this.
There are the Chinese inside China and the Chinese outside China.
Half are the latter. The other half contribute using Skype to get
through their govt.'s prohibition of Wikipedia.
But China officially does not recognize Wikipedia nor do they allow access.
So says Jimmy.

Interlingual Wikipedia entries are a ways back for Asia.
You have to be mindful.

>> Hey, look at that powder over there!
>> One guy can ski the left and another guy can ski the right.....
>
>The good old times when people could catch flights on Russian army
>helicopters for a bottle of vodka seem over now. But western tourists have
>other means of getting up there.

Russian?
No I mean US of A armed forces.
Prepare Wagner.

"When are these people going to ever learn?"

Eugene Miya

Jun 22, 2006, 12:29:13 AM6/22/06
In article <5tqj92p9e1p1hv0cv...@4ax.com>,

Cyli <cyl...@gmsil.com.invalid> wrote:
>On 21 Jun 2006 00:15:33 -0700, eug...@cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya)
>wrote:
>>Ptarmigan eggs (9?) were destroyed maybe by a fox.

>>Maybe a vixen.
>
>Good eating, good nutrition. Shouldn't let be go to waste raising
>birds, now should it? Predation insures survival of the fittest,
>right? Vixens improve the breeding of fitly nesting birds by only
>letting those that know how to protect their eggs well survive.

Almost entirely.

Not my problem. Your net.species got there before my net.species.

>Being more exposed to kid cartoons than military air info, my first
>thought on that was to wonder whose butt it flew out of...

They are rather distinctive planes.
The Los Anchorage paper had a B-2 flying up from Guam for these,
but then we never saw it.

>r.bc: vixen
>Almost entirely harmless. Really.

Really?

Pat O'Connell

Jun 22, 2006, 9:12:19 PM6/22/06

Somehow, in my caver's mind the word "karst" is inextricably associated
with dissolving/depositing rock, and the terrain associated with it. The
Karst area for which it's named is somewhere in the former Yugoslavia,
and is the type location for karst terrain.

Now, "sinkhole" is too frequently associated with non-rocky collapses,
like landslides, and I can handle that.

Ed Huesers

Jun 25, 2006, 1:38:42 PM6/25/06
Eugene Miya wrote:
> Machine guns and grenades are really easy to use.
> The bigger things, now those are interesting theory.

Heh:
http://www.airsoft-reviews.net/airsoft-gun-reviews/co2-gun-reviews/airsoft-minigun-review-m-134-6mm-bb/

Ed Huesers
Http://www.grandshelters.com

Eugene Miya

Jun 26, 2006, 12:45:50 PM6/26/06
In article <ySzng.2$IQ6...@news.uswest.net>,
Ed Huesers <e...@grandshelters.com> wrote:
>http://www.airsoft-reviews.net/airsoft-gun-reviews/co2-gun-reviews/airsoft-minigun-review-m-134-6mm-bb/

8^)

Well. What can one say?
It's just over 10% the rate of fire of the real thing?

Shooting down model aircraft might be amusing.

Eugene Miya

Jun 26, 2006, 2:13:04 PM6/26/06
Ed Huesers <e...@grandshelters.com> write.....

>>...> sauna

The lake melted just before Solstice. No candle ice. No tinkling sounds.
The final melt happened fast, maybe 2 days.

The drive out was amusing. No muskox, but saw 1st wolf in the wild
(near the 3 dozen dall sheep), and had many hundreds if not thousands of
cariboo on the way out. And maybe a fox again.

Well with luck, next year it will be descending the Noatak with the NPS.

--

It is loading more messages.