The Envelope, Please: the NEFI Survey Results

Amy Lindsay

Jan 3, 1992, 7:33:02 PM1/3/92
Here are the results to the survey I tried to conduct in December, between
life and brain surgery. I didn't get as many replies as I hoped (probably
because news was not well, then my home machine was not well, and all
through this, the bos.camex.com address probably wasn't all that well
either... *sigh* At least the cat's okay.)

Anyway, the replies are summarized below:

** ** ** ** **

** **Preferred fly-in days...

Midweek and all-weekend fly-in suggestions met with nearly universal non-
approval, although there was interest of going out to dinner with anyone
who happens to visit Boston for a convention or something (Seybold is
coming up...) not necessarily considering it a NEFI. Also, weekend long
fly-ins sounded fun to some, but most thought it would be a "logistical
nightmare." Overall, Sunday was preferred to Saturday (6 to 1) Others
responding either didn't answer, or said they didn't care.

** **Preferred frequency...

From once a month (2) to "3 or 4 a year" (4) with most in the "every other
month" category. Other answers: (6/year) (1/6 weeks) ("Often.")

** **Territory...

People said they'd be willing to travel up to about 200 miles (or two hours
travelling time). (4)
2.5 hours (2)
"I would consider vising one in any of the neighboring states (say a 800
mile radius or so)." (1)
"the whole of New England...plus other close states: NY, PA, NJ, even
DE and MD." (1)
"As far as I could get a ride. :-)"

** **Respondants came from...

BVY (MA), BTV (VT), MMU (NJ), N87 (NJ), AEG (NM), N52 (NJ), BED (MA),
FIT (MA), BVY (MA), CDW (NJ), "Nowhere, yet."

** **Organization...

Most of the respondents said the wouldn't mind helping run a fly-in,
especially if it was at or near their home field. I think what we probably
need is a short course in what is involved in running one (Sande, are you
listening?) Also, since rec.aviation tends to be somewhat anarchistic,
it's sometimes hard to suggest NEFIs or convince someone to run them, as
well as where and when they should be.

Personally, I think if it's been a couple of months since the last one, and
you feel like getting together with some rec.aviation.pilots, bite the
bullet and post. There will, no doubt be others who feel the same way you
do. (Hey, even *I* have been known to post to rec.aviation every now and
then...)

** **Cancellations...

Most thought that fly-ins should be cancelled if the designated field was
at some reasonable weather condition (winds too high, visibility too
low...) (5)
"Don't cancel unless WX is unsuitable EVEN for small IFR flying." (1)
"Fly-ins should be cancelled in the event of hurricanes, other natural
disasters, and a lack of IFR folks willing to provide rides to those in
need. :-)"

The organizers needn't call people to cancel "unless they happen to work
for AT&T and get substantial discounts on their long-distance phone bills,"
but those flying in SHOULD call the organizers, if possible, and that the
best way to get information on the status was to have a message on an
answering machine. (8) "the only way to go for NEFI cancelling"

Other comments included:
"Have everyone call an organizer X hours before the fly-in."
"Carrier pigeon, ESP, telegram, or telephone -- but not necessarily in
the order specified."
"They should do so (i.e call the organizer if they can't make it) to
avoid (a) making everyone else wait around forever, (b) having the
restaurant scowl that only 1/Nth of the reserved seats are filled, and
(c) calling CAP for a SAR mission."

** **Planning time...

For organizers...
4-5 weeks (2)
"at least a month" (4)
3-4 weeks (1)

For participants...
1-2 weeks (1)
2 weeks (3)
3 weeks (3)
3-4 weeks (1)

** **Lunch...

Universally agreed upon as *THE* NEFI activity. It didn't matter what kind
of food, or where it was located as long as it was near an airport. "Early
dinners are OK in June, but night flying would be required otherwise,
reducing the pool of willing pilots and appropriate airports."

"We should look for restaurants that offer normal ("American") food to avoid
situations wherein self-professed picky eaters starve to death because the
restaurant only has "yucky" food on its menu."

"Oh, and also on whether or not the restaurant at the field has a good view."

** **Non-pilot NEFI attendees...

The only way to encourage the family or friends of rec.aviators to come to
a NEFI cited was to do other things that just "pilot stuff." The skiing
and picnic ideas were suggested as things that the non-pilot crowd might
like to participate in. (Although my room-mate said she wanted to go to
any airshow that I was planning on going to.)

"I would have a better chance of getting away with it if I could turn it
into a family trip."

** **The suggestion list...

Some things have been added. If anyone want to hold a fly-in using any of
these suggestions, let me know 'cause I'll want to be there!

Skiing
Some were lukewarm on this idea, but several thought it might be fun (and
would give them an excuse to take their friends/family flying.) We also
discussed this over lunch at the last NEFI (at least at my end of the
table,) and it was pretty much decided we should try for something at the
end of February (if my machine doesn't break again...)
Touring a tower
This was, of course, a pilot-oriented activity, but there was some
moderate interest. Two or three people suggested we try a FSS or ARTCC
instead. (And, anyone who wants to bring cookies with them and who wants
my recipe, can e-mail me.)
Picnic
People were either very enthusiastic, or totally apathetic. The people
who were enthusiastic stated that this might be nice if it were a smaller
airport, or near a park where people could go swimming or hiking (or
"leaf-peeping," a thoroughly New England activity.) Also suggested in
conjuction with a picnic were various kinds of landing/flying contests,
or air rallies which I don't really feel qualified to comment on.
Shopping
OK, so it was a frivolous suggestion, but one or two people actually
LIKED the idea (aside from me.) "Won't we have to exercise tremendous
restraint to avoid weight 'n' balance problems on the return trip?"
I had originally proposed this to go to various crafts supply places
and "art stuff" stores in the Boston area via e-mail to one or two of
the rec.aviation.artist.types. So there.
Seminars of various kinds
Most people felt this depended on what the seminars were about and who
was conducting them. (Think we can lure Mah-garet Puckette or Geoff
"I taught my cats to fly" Peck out here for one?) If not, at least one
respondant knew someone who might be talked into speaking to us, or
we could get Bill Ogert to give us a listing of all aircraft he's current
in. (or I could show my Oshkosh pictures again... no, no, not THAT!)
Airshows
Again, this was met by great enthusiasm or total apathy. Good points
were that it was something fun to do which was aviation-related. Bad
points included that airshows are sometimes very difficult to fly into
because of the traffic.
Swimming
Most liked this one, and there were several suggestions as to where
we could hold a swimming fly-in (Fisher's Island, Various MA islands
or the Cape, etc.)
Acadia National Park {or equivalent}
This really depended on the Park. As mentioned, Acadia is a bit far for
most of us, but the concept was greated favorably.
Flying
The sailplane evangelists have spoken (and were enthusiastic) but also
suggested was "that place around Reading PA with the Stearmans." (I
DIDN'T bring this up myself, I swear! *I* was going to suggest we all
show up at Minute Man and nag Paul Cantrell into giving us helicopter
intro lessons.)
Museums
This was suggested to be a better option than airshows (which tend to
be crazed.) Places suggested included Rockland, ME (Is that Owl's Head?)
the NE Air Museum (again, for those who missed it last year), the
Smithsonian (by several people, "NOW THERE'S A MUSEUM."), the AOPA
offices, and Kitty Hawk (though it's "a bit out of the way.")
Eating - a BUNCH of suggestions received for this one
Colombia Airport, NY has a fantastic brunch on Sunday
Laconia, NH, you get a limousine ride to Patrick's Pub, great restaurant!
Flying W airport, NJ has a nice restaurant
Hyannis, MA has a great restaurant walking distance away
Plymouth, MA has a nice diner and lots of glider planes
Portland, ME has a restaurant,"and I've been to the tower/appch/departure"

Other suggestions:
Martha's Vineyard, MA and a walk along the beach
Atlantic City, NJ - board walk is less than a mile from Bader Field
I wanna go to Niagara Falls, to Toronto, I like Albany, NY, a trip down
the VFR corridor of NYC (though if ALL of us do it at once...)
bowling, camping, gaming, sailing

And, visiting Ken Ingham in New Mexico because fly-ins are held so far
away that he doesn't normally get to go to them...

A.G.Lindsay * Cloud Rental: Reasonable Rates * a...@camex.com
Typography & Design Department ~ Camex, Inc. ~ Boston, MA (617-426-7550 x575)
"General Aviation... What Lieutenant Aviation would have become if he hadn't
taxied his $35 million F-15 into a C-5A transport."