Aspiring Pilot

瀏覽次數:2 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Euan Kilgour

未讀,
2001年7月3日 凌晨1:14:402001/7/3
收件者:
I haven't yet embarked on my journey of learning to fly, but I already
have my first flight story. My girlfriend for my 29th birthday booked
me for a 10 minute trial flight at the local airfield. The CFI taxied
us out and we took off, and basically after we had cleared the fence at
the end of the runway he handed the controls over to me while he cleared
us from the circuit and trimmed the Cessna 172. After what seemed like
30 minutes of flying over our city (but was probably 5) he got me to
swing the plane around in a wide descending turn bringing us back to the
airfield. I remember he called us in on final while he set us up for
landing, all the time I was in control of the plane.

At this point I was wondering when he was going to take control of the
plane and put us on the ground. We crossed over the fence, and I began
to sweat. I stole a glance at the altimeter, which said 80 feet. OK,
still no word from the CFI, a few seconds later 50 feet, nadda. I was
reaching panic level when he simply looked over at me and in one motion
took the yoke and brought the nose up, calmly saying "Landing is quite
simple. Like this.." and in that instant we made a perfect three point
landing.

I was starting to go into shock now and made a hash of the taxiing, so
he got us back to the hangar.

I didn't let my girlfriend know (who by the way actually accompanied us
on the flight) that I had nearly landed the plane until we had got home.

After that experience, I am even more enthusiastic about really giving
flying a go. As I write this we are saving up the required funds so I
can pay for 50 hours of training in advance, but there is not one clear
cloudless day that goes past when I don't stop and tell myself I should
be up there.

Thanks for all of your stories, I find them a constant source of
information and inspiration.

SMC

未讀,
2001年7月3日 上午8:37:032001/7/3
收件者:
"Euan Kilgour" <eu...@NOSPAMwaikato.ac.nz> wrote in message

> I haven't yet embarked on my journey of learning to fly, but I already
> have my first flight story. My girlfriend for my 29th birthday booked
> me for a 10 minute trial flight at the local airfield. The CFI taxied
> us out and we took off, and basically after we had cleared the fence at
> the end of the runway he handed the controls over to me while he cleared
> us from the circuit and trimmed the Cessna 172. After what seemed like
> 30 minutes of flying over our city (but was probably 5) he got me to
> swing the plane around in a wide descending turn bringing us back to the
> airfield. I remember he called us in on final while he set us up for
> landing, all the time I was in control of the plane.

My girlfriend at the time (who is now my wife) did the same thing for me on
my 23rd birthday, but all I could afford to do at the time was enjoy the one
intro flight. Shortly after that, I moved into an apartment that was under
the approach to runway 31 (MSN), where I spent many an hour on the deck with
a beer or two on a warm summer night watching all the Cessnas and Pipers in
the pattern, and DREAMING that one day, I will be at the controls of one of
those planes.
Well, I'm now 28, and am at a point financially that I can take lessons and
not worry about running out of money, even after buying a new house! I took
my first real (non-intro flight) lesson on June 3, and have since logged
about 8 hours. I have my medical on July 9, and I'm really looking forward
to soloing soon after that. I've already done a couple of x-wind landings,
and we did ground reference maneuvers last Saturday, which my instructor
said that I must be fairly proficient at before he can sign me off to solo.
The whole experience has been exhilarating, and I expect it to get better
when we do some new cool things like night x-c.
My wife remembers going on that intro flight with us back in 96, and told me
the other day that she wants to be my first passenger after the D.E. gets
out and I'm a PP!

Happy Flying!

-smc

Jim Fisher

未讀,
2001年7月3日 上午10:16:392001/7/3
收件者:
"Euan Kilgour" <eu...@NOSPAMwaikato.ac.nz> wrote in message news:euan-

"Landing is quite

> simple. Like this.." and in that instant we made a perfect three point
> landing.

It is that simple . . . but not really. The instructor had everything set
up for on on final making the landing a non-event. Making the landing look
easy takes a lot of skill.

When you start your lessons, remember the fact that a successful landing
starts with a nice stabilized approach like you had in this flight.

As I write this we are saving up the required funds so I
> can pay for 50 hours of training in advance

Damn good idea.

there is not one clear
> cloudless day that goes past when I don't stop and tell myself I should
> be up there.

After three years of flying that notion has never left me. I don't suppose
it ever will.

Welcome to our little group! You've found one of the best, most useful
groups in all of Usenet. Hang out here more often. You'll be surprised at
what you pick up.

--
Jim Fisher
North Alabama

Gavin Mealing

未讀,
2001年7月3日 上午11:39:042001/7/3
收件者:

mm,Jesus, and you wanna fly with this instructor? if all the details you
have provided re heights etc are accurate this guy sounds like an accident
waiting to happen. find a professional training organisation and pay them
your money.

Gav

"Euan Kilgour" <eu...@NOSPAMwaikato.ac.nz> wrote in message

> I haven't yet embarked on my journey of learning to fly, but I already
> have my first flight story. My girlfriend for my 29th birthday booked

snip

Jim Fisher

未讀,
2001年7月3日 下午1:03:022001/7/3
收件者:
"Gavin Mealing" <Fly...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> mm,Jesus, and you wanna fly with this instructor? if all the details you
> have provided re heights etc are accurate this guy sounds like an accident
> waiting to happen. find a professional training organisation and pay them
> your money.

HUH?

Euan, this poster is evidently just a wannabe and knows not what he's
talking about.

Your instructor performed just fine.

Gavin Mealing

未讀,
2001年7月3日 下午5:42:282001/7/3
收件者:
from the oprigonal post >

We crossed over the fence, and I began
to sweat. I stole a glance at the altimeter, which said 80 feet. OK,

still no word from the CFI, a few seconds later 50 feet, nadda. I was
reaching panic level

>>>end

and you call this a normal introduction to the joys of flying, and by the
way, i have 450 hours in various types and have passed the ATPL navs, and
sit the techs (or module 2 as its reffered to) later this year, i also have
both an instrument and a night rating..
So Jim, you are wrong.

"Jim Fisher" <PA2...@HiWAAY.net> wrote in message

Happy Dog

未讀,
2001年7月4日 凌晨2:44:262001/7/4
收件者:
"Gavin Mealing" <Fly...@bigfoot.com> > from the oprigonal post >

> We crossed over the fence, and I began
> to sweat. I stole a glance at the altimeter, which said 80 feet. OK,
> still no word from the CFI, a few seconds later 50 feet, nadda. I was
> reaching panic level
>
> and you call this a normal introduction to the joys of flying, and by the
> way, i have 450 hours in various types and have passed the ATPL navs, and
> sit the techs (or module 2 as its reffered to) later this year, i also
have
> both an instrument and a night rating..

Then your extensive training has allowed you to determine that the field
elevation was near sea level on a 29.92 day? You have determined that the
statement "I stole a glance at the altimeter, which said 80 feet" was a
calm, accurate assessment by a person who was, otherwise, "reaching panic
level"?

I suggest that it is far more likely that this student was a bit overwhelmed
and had no real sense of the danger, or lack therof, he faced. And, AFAICT,
there was very little risk.

> So Jim, you are wrong.

Argument from authority is so unattractive. Good to see you went for your
night rating in addition to your IFR ticket.
erf

Euan Kilgour

未讀,
2001年7月4日 晚上8:53:382001/7/4
收件者:
In article <6Uy07.9920$NY.11...@news20.bellglobal.com>, "Happy Dog"
<happ...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

You're right. I overstated it a little (alright a lot). In hindsight
the CFI was keeping a pretty close eye on preceedings, and since I was
obviously doing OK on the approach (can't remember the rate of descent
but it was gentle enough for our ears not to pop), he made a judgement
call and let me get the most out of the money I'd spent on the flight.
In fact, I'd definitely consider flying with him again, although I will
most likely go to a bigger flight school which gives a decent discount
for payment in advance.

Euan Kilgour

未讀,
2001年7月4日 晚上8:58:022001/7/4
收件者:
In article <9hse9g$8vc$1...@news.chorus.net>, "SMC" <enb...@aol.com>
wrote:

> My girlfriend at the time (who is now my wife) did the same thing for me
> on
> my 23rd birthday, but all I could afford to do at the time was enjoy the
> one
> intro flight. Shortly after that, I moved into an apartment that was
> under
> the approach to runway 31 (MSN), where I spent many an hour on the deck
> with
> a beer or two on a warm summer night watching all the Cessnas and Pipers
> in
> the pattern, and DREAMING that one day, I will be at the controls of one
> of
> those planes.
> Well, I'm now 28, and am at a point financially that I can take lessons
> and
> not worry about running out of money, even after buying a new house!

Excellent stuff. We'll have enough money probably in the next 18 months
or so, but it'll be a long wait for me.

Eric Gauthier

未讀,
2001年7月5日 清晨6:48:202001/7/5
收件者:
On Thu, 05 Jul 2001 12:53:38 +1200, Euan Kilgour
<eu...@NOSPAMwaikato.ac.nz> wrote:

>You're right. I overstated it a little (alright a lot). In hindsight
>the CFI was keeping a pretty close eye on preceedings, and since I was
>obviously doing OK on the approach (can't remember the rate of descent
>but it was gentle enough for our ears not to pop), he made a judgement
>call and let me get the most out of the money I'd spent on the flight.
>In fact, I'd definitely consider flying with him again, although I will
>most likely go to a bigger flight school which gives a decent discount
>for payment in advance.

I don't think you need a bigger school for a discount. My FBO is one
instructor and 2 planes. I didn't think he discounted for block time,
but I asked just for the heck of it. He gave me 10% discount for $500
or more block time.

The C150 costs $47/hr wet so that is about 1 additional hour "free"
for every 10 hours rented!

-Eric

----------
Remove hyphens in address to reply by Email.

Richard Tilton

未讀,
2001年7月5日 中午12:31:082001/7/5
收件者:
Euan,
Now is the time to get your head into the game. Visit FBOs and talk to
instructors. Ask lots of questions. Start reading books by Rod Machado, Bob
Gardner, William Kershner, Wolfgang Langewiesche and others. Fly MSFS or FLY!
or X-Plane. Then take a discovery flight every six months or so, just to keep
up the inspiration to save (and the time is loggable).

I was in the same position two and a half years ago that you are now. All
these things made a tremendous difference when I began taking lessons.

Hang in there, 18 months will fly by in no time.

Richard
PP-ASEL

Euan Kilgour

未讀,
2001年7月5日 下午4:35:472001/7/5
收件者:
In article <3B44964C...@link.com>, Richard Tilton
<rwti...@link.com> wrote:

> Euan,
> Now is the time to get your head into the game. Visit FBOs and talk to
> instructors. Ask lots of questions. Start reading books by Rod Machado,
> Bob
> Gardner, William Kershner, Wolfgang Langewiesche and others. Fly MSFS or
> FLY!
> or X-Plane. Then take a discovery flight every six months or so, just to
> keep
> up the inspiration to save (and the time is loggable).

Already ahead of you there - got MSFS 2000 installed and been flying it
for 2 months now. I've found it's really good for learning all the
instruments.

> I was in the same position two and a half years ago that you are now. All
> these things made a tremendous difference when I began taking lessons.
>
> Hang in there, 18 months will fly by in no time.
>
> Richard
> PP-ASEL

Thanks Richard.

Euan Kilgour

未讀,
2001年7月5日 下午4:38:382001/7/5
收件者:
In article <8qg8kt4kcgtv84sib...@4ax.com>, Eric Gauthier
<--EGaut...@mediaone.net> wrote:

I checked out the different packages available from all the flight
schools in my area, and the cheapest is one thats 90 miles from where I
live. The next best is in fact my local Aero Club, so it is highly
likely I will learn with them.

Happy Dog

未讀,
2001年7月6日 凌晨12:29:462001/7/6
收件者:
"Euan Kilgour" <eu...@NOSPAMwaikato.ac.nz>

> You're right. I overstated it a little (alright a lot). In hindsight
> the CFI was keeping a pretty close eye on preceedings, and since I was
> obviously doing OK on the approach (can't remember the rate of descent
> but it was gentle enough for our ears not to pop), he made a judgement
> call and let me get the most out of the money I'd spent on the flight.

Exactly as it should be. BTW, what airport were you flying at?
erf

Jim Fisher

未讀,
2001年7月6日 上午9:30:492001/7/6

> from the oprigonal post >
>
> We crossed over the fence, and I began
> to sweat. I stole a glance at the altimeter, which said 80 feet. OK,
> still no word from the CFI, a few seconds later 50 feet, nadda. I was
> reaching panic level
>
> and you call this a normal introduction to the joys of flying, (?)

Hell yes.

Sounds to me like the CFI and intro student had a nice stabilized approach.
There was no reason whatsoever for the CFI to take control as long as things
were progressing nicely.

The student didn't say he exhibited any outward signs of panic so the CFI
had every reason to believe there was no reason to intervene.

and by the
> way, i have 450 hours in various types and have passed the ATPL navs, and
> sit the techs (or module 2 as its reffered to) later this year, i also
have
> both an instrument and a night rating..

Then you should damn well know better.

But humor us: Using your profound knowledge of all things aviation related,
please tell us exactly at what point should the CFI have taken over for the
student? 50 feet? 100 feet? FL180?

> So Jim, you are wrong.

Oh! Well that settles it, then.

My bad.

Gavin Mealing

未讀,
2001年7月7日 下午5:07:182001/7/7
收件者:

"Jim Fisher" <PA2...@HiWAAY.net> wrote in message

I understand your personal attack on me Jim, for whatever reason you think
it necessary, but what on earth does "my bad" mean?

Euan Kilgour

未讀,
2001年7月8日 下午4:36:152001/7/8
收件者:
In article <S5b17.25294$NY.20...@news20.bellglobal.com>, "Happy Dog"
<happ...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Hamilton New Zealand.

Jim Fisher

未讀,
2001年7月11日 中午12:24:202001/7/11
收件者:

"Gavin Mealing" <Fly...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:QRK17.12481

> > Oh! Well that settles it, then.
> >
> > My bad.
>
> I understand your personal attack on me Jim, for whatever reason you think
> it necessary, but what on earth does "my bad" mean?

"My bad" is an Americanism, I guess. "My error" would be the closest
translation. It was meant sarcastically.

In any case, it wasn't a personal attack. It was an attack on your
statement that you think that a CFI should take control of a plane from a
student when that student appears to have good control and is not
endangering anyone.

You initial statement that the CFI was "an accident waiting to happen" was
way out of line and especially if you have the experience you claim to have.

Tracy R Reed

未讀,
2001年7月11日 下午2:05:512001/7/11
收件者:
Jim Fisher <PA2...@HiWAAY.net> wrote:
>"My bad" is an Americanism, I guess. "My error" would be the closest
>translation. It was meant sarcastically.

I'm not sure sure it is an Americanism. I think it developed in some other
culture who learned english as a second language and is now being picked up by
native english speakers. A few years ago when this expression first popped up I
heard it only from non-Americans on the net.

I personally find the expression very annoying, gratuitously poor grammar, and
want to smack anyone I hear using it.

--
Tracy Reed http://www.ultraviolet.org
"Memory is like gasoline. You use it up when you are running. Of course you

Shawn D. Gahring

未讀,
2001年7月11日 下午4:46:542001/7/11
收件者:
Tracy R Reed wrote:

> Jim Fisher <PA2...@HiWAAY.net> wrote:
> >"My bad" is an Americanism, I guess. "My error" would be the closest
> >translation. It was meant sarcastically.
>
> I'm not sure sure it is an Americanism. I think it developed in some other
> culture who learned english as a second language and is now being picked up by
> native english speakers. A few years ago when this expression first popped up I
> heard it only from non-Americans on the net.

Actually, it's been around for quite some time. I've primarily heard
it on the sports fields, when admitting to an error.

> I personally find the expression very annoying, gratuitously poor grammar, and
> want to smack anyone I hear using it.

Have you considered a decaffeinated brand?

Jim Fisher

未讀,
2001年7月12日 下午1:55:462001/7/12
收件者:
> Tracy R Reed wrote:
>
> > I personally find the expression very annoying, gratuitously poor
grammar, and
> > want to smack anyone I hear using it.

My bad. Won't happen again. Promise.

Tracy R Reed

未讀,
2001年7月12日 下午6:59:122001/7/12
收件者:
Shawn D. Gahring <joh...@hom.net> wrote:
>Have you considered a decaffeinated brand?

Fur wye did i evin bother taiking inglish clases neway? Speling and grammer r
obviusly optshunal.

Morris Bernstein

未讀,
2001年7月12日 晚上9:03:282001/7/12
收件者:
In article <3B4CBC50...@hom.net>, Shawn D. Gahring wrote:

>Tracy R Reed wrote:
>
>> I personally find the expression very annoying, gratuitously poor grammar, and
>> want to smack anyone I hear using it.
>
>Have you considered a decaffeinated brand?

Wouldn't an open hand work better? Or perhaps a rolled up newspaper?

ObAviation: did my first chandelles and lazy 8s on Tuesday. Whee!!

Morris
--
Everyone is more or less mad on one point.
-- Rudyard Kipling

Morris Bernstein

未讀,
2001年7月12日 晚上9:11:012001/7/12
收件者:
In article <tk3krs5...@corp.supernews.com>, Jim Fisher wrote:

>When you start your lessons, remember the fact that a successful landing
>starts with a nice stabilized approach like you had in this flight.

A few weeks ago, flying the Citabria, I had to land in a real hurry
(with a very full bladder). Asked and was approved for a mid-field
base, and did a slipping turn all the way down to the flare.

On another recent flight, I was doing some landing practice in the
Citabria. My instructor was with another student, and used my landing
as an opportunity to show the student what a slip looks like from the
outside.

Morris (we don need no steenkin stabilized approaches)
--
The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
-- Alfred Adler

0 則新訊息