SC Nats Day 5 quick report

1 view

Frank

Jun 21, 2010, 1:06:25 AM6/21/10
The task today was a MAT with a required last turnpoint about 15 miles
to the north. Did I tell you I HATE MAT tasks? The weather was windy
(20kt + out of the southwest) with some clouds in the north of the
task area.

As it turned out, the day was sharply divided into a REALLY GOOD first
half and a REALLY CRAPPY second half. Most pilots elected to go for
the clouds to the north (downwind), and when we got to the clouds it
was WONDERFUL - had to watch the altimeter closely to avoid an
airspace penalty for busting 17,500, and it was pedal to the metal all
the way. I was running about 95-100mph average (dry!) all the way out
to a turpoint some 150 miles downwind. However, the run back upwind
became a nightmare for many pilots as the front (west) ridge was not
working at all (wave suppression??) and there were many landouts. In
the top of the scoresheet, MP, TT, KS, and OO all landed out.

TA

gary...@sbcglobal.net

Jun 21, 2010, 8:15:48 AM6/21/10

Thanks for the report, it is frustrating to not get daily reports from
the organizers.

Papa3

Jun 21, 2010, 9:17:40 AM6/21/10
On Jun 21, 8:15 am, "garyk...@sbcglobal.net" <garyk...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> the organizers.- Hide quoted text -

Reports this year have been miserable for most contests. There's no
narrative - no sense of having been on task with the gang. While I'm
sure the folks are doing their best, it would make a lot more sense to
recruit one or two pilots to be on the hook to write up a paragraph or
two each day. If they took turns, it would mean no more than 10
minutes of work every other day - not a lot to ask.

Tom

Jun 21, 2010, 10:00:17 AM6/21/10
 If they took turns, it would mean no more than 10
> minutes of work every other day  - not a lot to ask.- >

As a pilot, we returned from the task after 6:30, secured the glider,
downloaded files, took O2 bottles to be filled, removed batteries to
charge, installed covers, talked (briefly) with a few pilots, went to
dinner, went to motel, took a shower, answered email and went to bed
exhausted.

It is a long, exhausting, day.

Tom Knauff

T8

Jun 21, 2010, 10:08:10 AM6/21/10

Thanks Frank... we're feeling pretty in the dark out here in work-a-
day land.

-T8

Papa3

Jun 21, 2010, 10:28:38 AM6/21/10

Yo Tom,

Been there, done that. I did my own "guerilla reports" from Standard
Class Nationals in Cordele two years ago. 15 minutes propped up with
a pillow in the cool air conditioning of the hotel. Point being, if
we put some effort into it, it's not a herculean task. Here's my
virtual report from Parowan, and I wasn't even there:

"Once out on task, it was fairly easy to catch up with the early
starters. Great Cu and scattered markers allowed the fast guys to
really move. The 20kt tailwind didn't hurt. Ray Gimmey averaged
over (x MPH) on the first leg, with several others moving right
smartly. I heard several pilots report Xkt climbs at Ymountain.

The field seems to have split into two groups, with the fast folks
going deep into Turn 1. Man, the scenery was beatiful, with X
landmark to the east and Y to the west. Reality set in, however, as
we turned and headed back north...

etc.

P3

T8

Jun 21, 2010, 10:47:19 AM6/21/10
While on the subject... does anyone like the youtubed pilots' meetings
being done for 18m?

For some reason, this just doesn't grab me. I'd much rather read
mediocre color commentary for two minutes than watch a pilots' meeting
for 20. Also, I fear a damping effect on the meetings. Feels too
much like surveillance.

For the video inclined, I recommend getting some scenes around the
airport, finishes, maybe a daily interview with a pilot or crew.

-T8

Papa3

Jun 21, 2010, 11:38:35 AM6/21/10

The meeting videos are kinda hopeless. There might be one or two
nuggets interspersed with 20 minutes of nothin'. Face it, we're not
all that interesting.

P3

gary...@sbcglobal.net

Jun 21, 2010, 5:17:11 PM6/21/10

After the first one, didn't even look again. Much prefer the type of
short report indicated by YO.

glider12321

Jun 21, 2010, 5:49:28 PM6/21/10
On Jun 21, 3:17 pm, "garyk...@sbcglobal.net" <garyk...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

I enjoy all of the coverage. The morning meeting videos are very
informative... hearing "how I got started" stories, safety talks,
meeting the pilots, winners strategy talks, etc. I've been flying
gliders for 31 years but have never been to a contest or have seen a
pilots meeting. I just wish I could fly a contest!

Dave Nadler

Jun 21, 2010, 10:09:30 PM6/21/10
On Jun 21, 5:17 pm, "garyk...@sbcglobal.net" <garyk...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> ...Much prefer the type of short report indicated by YO.

Thanks Gary ! I'll try to keep reporting,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

PS: Dick Van Grunsven smoked em Sunday in his Antares 20E,
with a 90.59 mph day win over 318.98 miles (74.59 mph with the
Antares steep handicap). Dick is flying his Antares 20E in the
20-meter configuration, while I'm flying with the short 18-meter
wing-tips at Caesar Creek.

Tony

Jun 22, 2010, 10:37:43 AM6/22/10

and he won again yesterday. good going!

I'm bummed that Tim Taylor had to land short again.

Papa3

Jun 22, 2010, 1:26:21 PM6/22/10

Ya know what? I took the time to watch a couple more last night. I
can see where there's some interesting stuff in there. Happened upon
Ken Sorenson describing his encounter with the Parachuting Karate Guy,
which was more than a little amusing. So, I guess there IS a place
for this. But, there's no substitute for a pithy, insider writeup on
the day's flying for those of us who wish we were there.

Sorry for the hasty comments earlier.

P3

noel.wade

Jun 23, 2010, 4:41:49 PM6/23/10
If only we all had a "Bo" from Warner Springs, to create videos like
this:
http://www.vimeo.com/4370993

The bottom line is that it takes work from somebody (sometimes
multiple somebodies); but I think its definitely worth the effort.
Daily reports are a simple way to do some "marketing & promotion" of
the airfield, the contest, and contest-flying in general. It generates
interest and curiousity, helping to encourage future contest
participation (both in general and at that particular site).

I will definitely spend a few days every evening during the Region 8
contest writing a blog on my SSA page!

--Noel