Geese at 18000ft

asw22...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2009, 12:58:54 PM1/20/09
Havent posted this for a while but it will make you think when you are
next flying commercial.

Way back in distant time I was having some fun on a wave flight out
of Minden when we saw 100's of Canada geese wave soaring. While we
were capped to FL18 there were lots of Geese above us in the FL19-20
range.

With the A320 in the Hudson imagine ploughing into these guys at 3-500
mph on the approach to RNO.

http://silentflight.com/P0000385.JPG

http://silentflight.com/P0000386.JPG

Full archive is here.

http://silentflight.com/Gliding/Photos/Archive_3/archive_3.htm

Cheers

Al

vontresc

Jan 20, 2009, 3:57:55 PM1/20/09
On Jan 20, 11:58 am, "asw22pi...@gmail.com" <asw22pi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Wow they don't get Hypoxic in the flight levels, or do they have O2
systems :-)

Pete

David Salmon

Jan 20, 2009, 4:45:05 PM1/20/09
They have been reported over Everest.
Dave

At 20:57 20 January 2009, vontresc wrote:
>On Jan 20, 11:58=A0am, "asw22pi...@gmail.com"

>wrote:
>> Havent posted this for a while but it will make you think when you are
>> next flying commercial.
>>
>> Way back in distant time I was having some fun on a wave flight out

>> of =A0Minden when we saw 100's of Canada geese =A0wave soaring.
=A0While
>=

BT

Jan 20, 2009, 7:31:47 PM1/20/09
I was at FL220 one time in a B-52, just getting ready to start a low level
run and passed an Eagle going the other way. At least we thought it was an
eagle.. full grown, white head.. grew from a tiny spec to HUGE real quick.
BT

<asw22...@gmail.com> wrote in message

linwoods...@mac.com

Jan 20, 2009, 8:00:25 PM1/20/09

Took one on the left prop spinner on a King Air one night years ago.
11:00 pm at NIGHT at 11,000'. Had no idea they also flew then...
Things that go bump in the middle of the night tend to wake one up.
Nice mess...

Steve

sisu1a

Jan 20, 2009, 8:19:35 PM1/20/09
> I was at FL220 one time in a B-52, just getting ready to start a low level
> run and passed an Eagle going the other way. At least we thought it was an
> eagle.. full grown, white head.. grew from a tiny spec to HUGE real quick.

Don't know what altitude this happened at, but it was an eagle for
sure... (warning-animals WERE harmed in the making of this production)
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=136279

-Paul

Brad

Jan 20, 2009, 9:15:12 PM1/20/09

little bit of irony there eh?

Brad

Bruce

Jan 21, 2009, 3:11:14 AM1/21/09
Ground the lot of them, I say - busting class A, no oxygen and no
transponders.
What is the world coming to?

Al Eddie

Jan 21, 2009, 10:00:07 AM1/21/09
At 00:31 21 January 2009, BT wrote:
>I was at FL220 one time in a B-52, just getting ready to start a >low
level run

Aw bless...

Low level run at FL220....!?

;o)

markrobe...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2009, 2:37:40 PM1/21/09
On Jan 20, 12:58 pm, "asw22pi...@gmail.com" <asw22pi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

A few years ago a friend and I made a short film about bird strikes
abatement at JFK airport.
Here it is on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVgCWo-EoiE
Perhaps I should have started a new thread for this?

John Bojack

Jan 21, 2009, 3:35:20 AM1/21/09
> Ground the lot of them, I say - busting class A, no oxygen and no
> transponders.

Really! Who do they think they are.......glider pilots?

J4