Airsickness

Rens

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
Hello,

I have one of the worst problems a pilot can have. Airsickness.

Everytime, and then I really mean always when I'm flying 3 hours or longer
the wrong feelings begin.
Of course you can delay the sickness with for instance fresh air, but in the
end I always get sick.
When I was still in my learning period, it wasn't such a problem. Because
flight times of 3 hours or more where never achieved. But since I got my
pilot license I want to fly cross-country and get my silver badge, and that
actually isn't possible with my problem.

Does someone know if there is some sort of medicin for it.
All ideas are welcome.

Jean Richard

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
Rens a écrit :

> I have one of the worst problems a pilot can have. Airsickness.
>
> Everytime, and then I really mean always when I'm flying 3 hours or longer
> the wrong feelings begin.
> Of course you can delay the sickness with for instance fresh air, but in the
> end I always get sick.

> Does someone know if there is some sort of medicin for it.
> All ideas are welcome.

In many cases, fresh water is the best medecine. Drink a little bit more.
I've seen a few cases where it's the opposite, but for the majority, it
works.

A very light snack can help too.

Jean

Jim

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
Rens,

Ginger (pills or candied from an oriental shop) is supposed to be
as effective as dramamine, but without any side effects.

Jim

Ben Jeffrey

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
The device featured at the following site has some excellent reviews.

http://www.aeromedix.com/

Ben Jeffrey

Jim <stardust1...@altavista.com.invalid> wrote in message

Larry Goddard

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00
Try ginger tablets on the ground first... they made me drowsy... not a good
thing thermalling with 25 other gliders in Uvalde!

Larry Goddard
"01" USA

John M. Morgan

Apr 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/20/00

Ben Jeffrey <BJef...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> The device featured at the following site has some excellent reviews.
>
> http://www.aeromedix.com/
>
> Ben Jeffrey

The "ReliefBand" worked well on my wife for medication induced nausea. It
also worked the one time I used it for a passenger in my plane.

bumper

Daniel Daly

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
I fly in the back of a large patrol a/c at low level/turbulence a lot; my
friends use a pill our flight surgeons prescribe to combat motion sickness with
minimal side effects (other 'solutions' have made them very sluggish, for
example a plaster that was applied behind the ear to deaden the inner ear
mechanisms (we called it the Magic Band-Aid)). I will ask one of them for the
name of the current medication and post it here. You will probably have to get
a doctor's prescription (a good idea for any pilot/medication). I've been
flying for 20 years, and this one's the best I've seen for my friends who are
prone to 'liquid laughs.'

I concur with an earlier post that dehydration can be a big factor in
airsickness, try drinking more water in the interim.

Rens wrote:

> Hello,

> I have one of the worst problems a pilot can have. Airsickness.
>
> Everytime, and then I really mean always when I'm flying 3 hours or longer
> the wrong feelings begin.
> Of course you can delay the sickness with for instance fresh air, but in the
> end I always get sick.

> When I was still in my learning period, it wasn't such a problem. Because
> flight times of 3 hours or more where never achieved. But since I got my
> pilot license I want to fly cross-country and get my silver badge, and that
> actually isn't possible with my problem.

Marc Silverman

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
to Rens
I have had the same problem after a few hours of flying locally or over the same
boring terrain.When I fly X-country I do not get airsick because the workload
and interest is higher.At the beginning of the flying season or if I haven't
flown for a time I will get sick earlier than a few hours,so I have to build up
to longer flights and then will only get sick if I get bored.Try a X-country
flight and the adventure may cure your problem.Marc Silverman WV.

Tyler White

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
I was plagued by airsickness for years, and tried many remedies
suggested by other pilots. Nothing really seemed to work, and so I was
resigned to feeling sick on about 1 out of every 5 flights. One common
factor was that I only became sick on flights in the high desert of
Nevada. I never felt bad on flights from sea level sites in Northern
California. This suggested some possible causes: mild hypoxia and/or
dehydration. Now I am religious about hydrating before and during a
flight. I drink plenty of water in the morning before flying, and carry
2 L of drinking water in a camelback in the cockpit. I consider myself
well-hydrated if I have to pee every 30 to 45 minutes during a flight.
When launching from Air Sailing or Minden, I put the cannula on when I
get in the glider and crack the valve on my Nelson system before I
launch. I don't turn the oxygen off until I land. O2 is cheap, and the
Nelson system allows me very long flights with no worries about running
out. Since I've adopted these two practices, I feel great in the air,
and I never get sick. Everyone has a different physiology, of course,
but I wish I had been told these things much earlier in my flying
career.

Tyler White, ASW-24B

Raul Blacksten

May 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/7/00
A friend of mine with over 2000 hours in gliders confessed one day that he gets
airsick. He said he has tried everything. Water, no water, eating, not eating,
you name it. He finally found relief using accupressure bracelets and rasberry
tablets. I have also heard others talk about the bracelets working. Do not ask
me where he got either.

Rens wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have one of the worst problems a pilot can have. Airsickness.
>
> Everytime, and then I really mean always when I'm flying 3 hours or longer
> the wrong feelings begin.
> Of course you can delay the sickness with for instance fresh air, but in the
> end I always get sick.
> When I was still in my learning period, it wasn't such a problem. Because
> flight times of 3 hours or more where never achieved. But since I got my
> pilot license I want to fly cross-country and get my silver badge, and that
> actually isn't possible with my problem.
>
> Does someone know if there is some sort of medicin for it.
> All ideas are welcome.

RAUL BLACKSTEN Wishing you green air!
Vintage Sailplane Association Archivist
<italics>Bungee Cord</italics> Editor
<ra...@earthlink.net>
<http://www.earthlink.net/~raulb>
"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things which make us what
we are" --Red Green, The New Red Green Show

F.L. Whiteley

May 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/7/00
Try looking in sailing publications for Turk's head bracelets.

Never heard of raspberry tablets, but they sound good.

"Raul Blacksten" <ra...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

hta...@my-deja.com

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
www.reliefband.com. Used by stunt pilots and sailors.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Dewayne Hight

May 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/14/00
Walgreens and Walmart carry them and they are used by cancer patients to
combat the nausea so a hospital pharmacy should have them.

dewayne

----------
In article <391486D6...@earthlink.net>, Raul Blacksten

Larry Goddard

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
I tried ginger... it made me drowsy. Might want to try it before you need it.

YMMV,

Larry Goddard
"01" USA

dale...@crl.com wrote:

> Re: Air sickness......Ginger. A few ginger snap cookies before and
> during the flight help some pilots. Candied ginger, available from an
> Asian food store near my home carries it. It is a standard Asian
> remedy for motion sickness, according to my friend from Hong Kong.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Dale Thompson

dale...@crl.com

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00