PHI's Dilemma, Part Deux

BH206B

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
The Air Log pilots ratified their contract on May 18th. On May 24, 1999 PHI
was officially notified by the OPEIU that an organizing drive was again
underway. This could hardly have come as a surprise to PHI management. The
union organizing committee never "stood down," never threw in the towel, never
once claimed that they would not be back when the year was up. PHI CEO Carroll
Suggs has pledged anew (through her managers) that she intends to fight the
union again this time. Those managers started sniffing about trying to find
out what it would take for the pilots to not vote for the union.

In an earlier post, I ruminated on PHI's dilemma, and the possible choices
facing Mrs. Suggs right now. I figure she had basically three avenues,
depending on how much of a gambler she is. She could do nothing, thereby
guaranteeing that her pilots vote for the union...or she could match Air Log's
contract dollar for dollar and hope we don't vote for the union...or thirdly,
she could throw out a few increases while imploring us to not vote for the
union. Looks like she chose Door Number Three.

The first volley was fired late last week (June 4th), when PHI announced in a
memo that, due to a "...usual compensation review this time of year" and based
on competitive changes within the industry, they were instituting a few
"changes" of their own. Basically, our 401(k) matching will be increased to 6%
(consistent with Air Log's contract). The bonus paid to pilots who spend their
nights on offshore oil platforms goes from $17.50/day to $25/day (also
consistent with Air Log's contract). Per Diem is being increased from $9/day
to $15/day for employees who report to work at one base and have to travel to
another base during their work "hitch" (again, consistent with Air Log's
contract). Additionally, IFR SIC's (412 and S-76 drivers) get a $100/month
bonus (they were previously at the same pay scale as me, a VFR "small-ship"
pilot). Finally, PHI states that pilot, mechanic and other hourly pay scales
will be "adjusted." We hope they don't mean down. And we welcome these
much-needed improvements to our pay/benefits.

Hmmm...but I digress. "Competitive changes in the industry?" Well, let's see,
nobody (PHI, Air Log, or Era Aviation) is hiring down here in the Gulf right
now, so it's not like all the really good pilots are going to Air Log and not
PHI. In fact, one PHI manager (who is in a position to know) assured me that
we still have a big pile of resumes from qualified applicants. Helicopter
rates are depressed as the oil companies drop aircraft and at the same time ask
for "rate relief" (reductions). So I wonder just what trouble those
competitive market changes could be causing that would make PHI increase pilot
pay? I certainly can't figure it out. Ohhhhh wait…that's right. PHI doesn't
want us to vote for the union! Well, why didn't they just say so?

Okay look, if you have a market...any market in any industry in which there are
competing companies, and one of those companies is unionized and the other
isn't...then the company that doesn't want the union in must provide some kind
of incentive. It isn't simply a matter of MATCHING what the union guys across
the street are getting. No, to keep a union out, a company must do BETTER than
the union shop. This ain't rocket science here. It's how the oil companies
themselves have been doing it for years. Management certainly cannot be so
naive as to think that merely matching a union shop's contract will keep the
union out. .

Like I said, it's a dilemma. Will PHI's tactics work? Is it possible to keep
the union out at this point? I dunno...but in the meantime, I'll take every
increase due to competitive changes within the industry (whatever they are)
that I can get. But this thinly veiled talk of "usual" yearly salary reviews
and competitive changes within the industry is insulting. We're not dumb.

And so it goes...

Bob Barbanes, Line Pilot
Petroleum Helicopters

AndresK

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99

Well it looks like the union has improved the situation at PHI even without it
being voted in. It also appears that rather than put the union shop out of
business, the union is raising the standard of living at non-union shops.

The writing is on the wall for unionization at PHI. Perhaps management do
better to talk straight with the work force rather than treat them like idiots.

Bob The Borg

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
On 8 Jun 1999 04:22:25 GMT, some narrowminded nimrod wrote:

Jesus H. Christ... some people aren't happy with ANYTHING you give
them.

Do you actually expect someone from PHI's management to come up to you
and say: "Here's a raise and some benefit enhancements... it's because
of the upcoming union vote". Get real.

If PHI admitted to giving employees things to abate the union effort,
then the union people would start crying to the NMB about how "unfair"
PHI is treating them.

Can you not see that?

You are benefitting personally from the battle between the union and
PHI, and still you whine.

BtB

Arnold Christensen

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
So if PHI had a union coverage what would the cost per month be to you
guys to have the Union? What is Air Log guys and gals paying that you
guys with the same bennies are getting, due to the unusual review. I
would bet you are putting several hours worth of money in your back
pocket that they are not.

But I have been wrong before.

BH206B

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
Arnold Christensen wrote about union dues:

>What is Air Log guys and gals paying that you
>guys with the same bennies are getting, due to the unusual review. I
>would bet you are putting several hours worth of money in your back
>pocket that they are not.
>
>But I have been wrong before.

And are, unfortunately, again this time. Air Log union dues are, as voted on
by the PILOTS, $25/month. Oh yeah, that's backbreaking. $25/month for a
contract that guarantees what they're going to make over the next four years?
$25/month for a legally-binding grievance procedure? $25/month for all the
increases they got (and you'd have to know just how much of an increase in
pay/benefits they got to understand)? Yep, those things sure aren't worth
$25/month. Hell, Air Log's $200/year "personal equipment allowance" nearly
covers their entire union dues! Oh, and by the way, even with these relatively
inexpensive (for the company) increases, we DON'T have exactly the same
benefits as Air Log, not by a LONG SHOT.

Bob the Borg wrote:
>Jesus H. Christ... some people aren't happy with ANYTHING you give
them.

Well, I guess I should just be so damn grateful that I've got a job flying
helicopters, eh Bob? I've been a professional pilot for eighteen years, I make
$41,500/year and I'm away from home for fully HALF my life. If you call
wanting to improve that career "whining" then so be it. I could call you an
idiot...is my opinion any more valid than yours?

>Do you actually expect someone from PHI's management to come up to you
>and say: "Here's a raise and some benefit enhancements... it's because
of the upcoming union vote". Get real.

Ahh, spoken like a true management lackey. Of course I didn't expect them to
say that. But here's a little history lesson for ya. Last year, just before
our second election, PHI came out with a new pay scale for pilots. This was
close on the heels of a 4% increase they had JUST given us. The company
claimed that they "had" to do it to stay competitive in hiring the caliber of
pilot we desire and that this NEW pay scale had actually been in the works for
a long time. Oh yeah, riiiiiight.

At the time, all three companies were hiring (PHI, Air Log and Era), and Air
Log had raised their starting salary above ours (which was not enough to keep
them from voting for the union, by the way). Okay, there were competitive
changes in the industry. I posted here in the NG that PHI probably HAD to do
something with our starting salary. The timing of that raise was what bothered
me. I believed then (as I do now) that it was deliberately timed to come just
before the election to buy votes. And it worked.

When the union lost (by six votes) and the union contested it, PHI used some of
MY newsgroup posts to bolster their arguments before the NMB. "See, even one
of the pro-union guys agrees we had to raise the starting salary..." type of
thing. Very clever. To our shock, the NBM agreed with the company.

But now in the Spring of 1999, as I said, nobody is hiring. We're all
snickering about this "usual compensation review" thing. We wonder just what
are the competitive changes in a relatively stagnant industry segment? And
suddenly, PHI tosses out a bunch of new benefits which JUST HAPPEN to coincide
exactly with what Air Log pilots got in their contract. Coincidence? I
think....NOT! Even some of the VERY senior, outwardly anti-union pilots are
laughing, "more of the same..."

And I want to go on the record as saying that I think there is only ONE reason
that we've gotten these increased benefits, let's be honest, to counter the
union organization drive, which they've been notified is underway.

Bob Barbanes, Line Pilot/Whiner
Petroleum Helicopters Inc

Mark W. Roberts

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Well of all things that could happen....

Here it is break day, and I am out in the Gulf flying around a few
isolated thundershowers...and we watch a Water Spout from the distance
form and dance a bit...it's another day of flying in the Gulf of Mexico
for me and my Bolkow...today , boys and girls...we are enroute to
SM-205A... a wonderful structure about 120 miles straight south offshore
from Lafayette, right on the 28th parallel. As we approach the platform,
and orbit once to check out the approach for landing, I notice a PHI
Bolkow...I think to myself...ahhh good, my "Kow" will have company and
they can chat in German...and I myself can see what new face PHI pilot I
get to meet and trade stories with...

So down the stairs I go...looking for the "Galley" a place where all
pilots are safe! LOL...and there sits a typical gulf pilot looking sort
of fellow...uniform, cup of coffee, newspaper and a quick hello...but
wait a minute...hold the phone...!!!

I look at the name tag...and who could it be !!! The Infamous Bob
Barbanes !!! (yeah , cheers, much applause) I know it's gonna be a
great day...so after months of seeing him here on this NG I finally was
able to place a face to a name...and I will say that it was a fabulous
experience. Bob is a great guy...knowledgeable, friendly, and down right
sincere...and does not ever come off like some know-it-all type of
person...

So for the next 3 hours or so we chatted about everthing about our
industry and it made me think a bit of how small a group we really
are...and how things really do need to get better for all of us as a
whole. I am not going to make this a long letter...but just wanted to
say that I have indeed met another true aviation professional, and
another friend...be safe Bob, and see ya up there somewhere...

So the 2 pilots topped off there Kow's (thanks Mobil..hehehe) and Bob
flew off into the noontime sun...break day for all and to all a good
day...

Mark W. Roberts
Air Logistics Pilot N41N

kcle...@my-deja.com

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
In article
<5F1910F9CC8830EB.DB6C48F3...@lp.airnews.net>,

Arnold Christensen <ab...@airmail.net> wrote:
> So if PHI had a union coverage what would the cost per month be to you
> guys to have the Union? What is Air Log guys and gals paying that you

> guys with the same bennies are getting, due to the unusual review. I
> would bet you are putting several hours worth of money in your back
> pocket that they are not.
>
> But I have been wrong before.

Dear Mr. Christensen,
It seems that the Air Log dues are set by the members themselves. At
this writing, they are $25.00 per month! I would imagine that they won't
change until they are voted on by the entire membership (and ratified!).
I would gladly pay twice that for a thimble full of respect from my
company! Perhaps you should visit the official OLOG web site at;
http://www.wcnet.net/local107/, and see for yourself. Then you may want
to exit your domain through the rear entrance and VENT!
Ken 'the' Clements

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Bob The Borg

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:49:44 +0000, some narrowminded nimrod wrote:

You should have gave him an application.

Bob Barbanes

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Mark Roberts wrote:
<snip>:::blushing::: nevermind

Well, at least I know who to get to do P.R. work for me when I run for union
office!

Bill Sykes

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:25:42 GMT, bobth...@webtv.com (Bob The Borg)
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:49:44 +0000, some narrowminded nimrod wrote:
>

>You should have gave him an application.

Talk about narrow-minded!! You, Bob the Borg, took one little line out
of a great post as a springboard to express your anti-union sentiment.
(And in very poor grammar, I might add.)

It's your type of mentality that has kept helicopter pilots from
gaining the respect and compensation they deserve, as well as getting
along with each other. You must be a management darling, because they
know they can count on you to f**k your buddy.

Then again maybe not, because the attitude you display is not
conducive to having friendships. You're a loner asshole who would
rather see everyone get nothing, so that your situation doesn't
change.

I suggest you look in a mirror to see who the narrow-minded nimrod is.

Bill Sykes

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even
greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any
carelessness, incapacity, or neglect" Author unknown.

Paul Baechler

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
In article <3761d8bb...@news.iamerica.net>, bsy...@iamerica.net (Bill
Sykes) wrote:

>It's your type of mentality that has kept helicopter pilots from
>gaining the respect and compensation they deserve, as well as getting
>along with each other. You must be a management darling, because they
>know they can count on you to f**k your buddy.

Perhaps he is management?

Ashleyfam2

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
I wonder when the union bigwigs decide it is time for a strike how happy you
will be. I watch it with Boeing here every few years. The union bosses enjoy
their extravegant lifestyles while the union workers bleed their bank accounts
dry. I had to help my friend during his last strike. I bet nobody had to help
the union bosses. Recently the Bosses spent $125,000 advertising what a good
job they are doing for the Boeing workers. I just watch in amazement, at least
my friend saw that one for what it was. I suppose I will be called all kinds of
evil things like "management" but I am happy I don't pad some fat slob's
pockets with my hard earned money.
I hope you guys have a friend to bring your kids a couple bags of groceries
when your standing around with your sign getting all that respect.
I would give my name but there will probably be some big mafia hit man here
holding my kids hostage if I do.

Bob Barbanes

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
Ashleyfam2 wrote:
>I wonder when the union bigwigs decide it is time for a strike how happy you
will be.
<blah blah blah>

>The union bosses enjoy
>their extravegant lifestyles
>I am happy I don't pad some fat slob's
>pockets with my hard earned money.
>I would give my name but there will probably be some big mafia hit man here
>holding my kids hostage if I do.

Another uninformed, anti-union moron... Ashley, for your information, Air Log
has a "No Strike" clause in their contract, and we at PHI expect to have a
similar clause in ours. "Union bigwigs" don't "decide" to strike. It must be
voted-on by the rank and file. Nobody WANTS to strike.

Your childish rantings about "fat slob" union bosses is insulting, as I intend
to be one of those very men (and I'm no slob). The Officers of the Locals
serve at NO SALARY other than the pay they get from their companies. In fact,
even the Officers of the OPEIU are not the highly paid bigwigs you'd imagine in
your prejudiced, slanted dreams.

I don't deny there have been/are abuses in unions. However, let us not look at
the bad unions, let's look at the best ones! Like ALPA. You never hear of
airliner tires being slashed or airline executive's kids being held hostage by
the "mafia hit men" of which you seem so paranoid. Get real. We're blazing a
new trail here. This is historic. We have a chance to model our helicopter
pilot unions after the best ones, to form strong alliances with our companies
for everyone's mutual benefit.

Attitudes like yours are unfortunate and destructive, son. You share this
newsgroup with us, which means you must have some peripheral, perhaps passing
interest in helicopters. For that, I am sad that your knowlege of this
industry in particular and unions in general is so shallow.

Bob Barbanes, Line Pilot/Legbreaker
Petroleum Helicopters Inc

"I'm gonna fly like an eagle...to the sea" (Steve Miller)
"I've looked at clouds from both sides now" (Joni Mitchell)
"Just an earthbound misfit, I" (Pink Floyd)

Micbloo

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
>Bob Barbanes, Line Pilot/Legbreaker

HeHeHeHehe!!

Ashleyfam2

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
I have had some very intense altercations with longshoremen and teamsters. I
have been face to face with union legbreakers. I was sure I was going to get
hauled away on a stretcher, but they backed down. I had absolutely no personal
interest in their strike other than I was passing through and disagree with
the thought that they are owed something. You work for a wage, you don't like
it move on. If the company can't support it's mission they will fix it or die
and another company will do it.
If you are trying to go back to the original vision of unions, more power to
you. The basic charter of the union should be to keep the company productive
though. You may wonder why I say that- it is because I have had experience with
unions that don't.

Bob Barbanes

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
Well Clayton I can certainly see why you're bitter.

You've obviously seen the bad side of unions, as detailed in your e-mail to me.
I've never said there weren't abuses within unions. But I'd encourage you to
look at the BEST unions, Saturn Automobiles and Southwest Airlines. In fact,
look at ALPA. There is no "hiding and reading the newspaper" (as you
described) in our line of work. We can't get out of flying. No job is
guaranteed. You see any Southwest Airlines pilots (union members!) hiding and
reading a newspaper somewhere instead of taking a flight? NO! They're in the
terminal, shaking hands, kissing babies, meeting people, having fun and looking
like...by golly...they ENJOY their jobs! Ever meet a SWA employee who didn't
think their airline was the best in the sky? THAT'S what I want for PHI. I
want PHI to become the equivalent of The Majors...where pilots come as the
"destination" career position, instead of the
"get-experience-then-go-get-a-'real'-job" thing we are now.

One of the reasons many of us (like me) want a union is so there will be a
documentable procedure for getting rid of a bad employee. Currently, there is
NO procedure for that now. If the company doesn't like you, they'll find a way
of getting rid of you. Is that fair for a professional who's put as much time
and effort into getting qualified to do this job as us? No.

You say that truck drivers at the Ag company you work for make more than the
pilots. And you say this without the slightest trace of irony. I say, "WHY
THE HELL IS THAT?" I'll tell you why. It's because the pilots have failed to
stand up for themselves and say "Dammit, we're worth more than a truck driver."

PHI is fond of saying that if they increase pilot salaries, competitors will
come into the market, pay their pilots less, undercut us and take our work.
Bullshit (pardon my French). Pilot pay is a small part of the hourly rate.
There will ALWAYS be competition for PHI and Air Log in the form of "smaller
operators." And by the way, if PHI starts paying their pilots better, these
oh-so-dangerous "smaller operators" won't be able to pay their pilots much
less. PHI and Air Log will be hiring again, probably soon!

I don't know of any of us who are pro-union who want to do it as revenge
against PHI. We want to do it so that YOU will have a better, decent career
when you finally start making money as a helicopter pilot. If you buy the
bullshit line that the maximum hourly rate for any helicopter simply can't
justify paying a pilot what he's worth, fine. I hope you have a long and
happy, low-paid career.

I, on the other hand, think we're worth more than that, that we deserve better
than that. So don't give me this attitude that "all unions are bad" simply
because there are abuses in some. We're professionals...highly-trained,
federally licensed, and highly-experienced. We do a job that can be Goddam
FATAL, sadly, as two pilots of my company (and two hospital employees) just
found out when their EMS helicopter crashed into a hill. As two other pilots
of my company NEARLY found out last week when their tail rotor failed at 5,500
feet. They heard a "BANG!" Simultaneously, their ship yawed to the right,
rolled inverted and went negative! All the crap in the helicopter that wasn't
tied down (books, manuals, etc) exited through the copilots WINDSHIELD. They
thought they were dead. But they fought it, got a "mayday" and a position
report out, got it back under control, got the floats out, and did a full,
engines-OFF/no tail rotor auto to the water. Thank GOD they decided to cruise
high that day. Any lower and they would've made a big dent in the water. My
hat's off to my colleagues Jerry and Jim for staying cool.

Yeah, we're not worth shit alright. Tell it to my family after I'm gone. If I
sound pissed, I am. I'm just not sure anymore that it's worth giving my damn
life to this miserable industry that treats us so shabbily, where we have to
hold a friggin' gun to their heads (metaphorically speaking, of course) just to
get them to give us a pay/benefit package commensurate with our
abilities/training/experience. I would welcome somebody...anybody...to tell me
I'm wrong.

Bob Barbanes, Line Pilot/Malingerer
Petroleum Helicopters

Innocent Bystander

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
On 16 Jun 1999 05:25:27 GMT, ashle...@aol.com (Ashleyfam2) wrote:

>I have had some very intense altercations with longshoremen and teamsters. I
>have been face to face with union legbreakers. I was sure I was going to get
>hauled away on a stretcher, but they backed down. I had absolutely no personal
>interest in their strike other than I was passing through and disagree with
>the thought that they are owed something. You work for a wage, you don't like

>it move on. <snip>

I'm not pro or con unions. I think they can and do serve useful
purposes but can also cause abuse. The only problem with the "you
don't like it, there's the door" argument when it comes to things like
pay and benefits for helicopter pilots is that it is a very small
industry. Don't think for a second that there is not a degree of
complicity between the various owners and management of the large
helicopter companies.

"If something is worth doing, read the directions FIRST"

Gary

Ashleyfam2

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
I think I was not clear enough on one statement that may have got you a little
upset. I said that as a truck driver I can make more money now than I would as
a pilot (because I have no hours). All of the pilots make more money than than
the truck drivers where I work. They are all very good pilots and very
professional. The top ones make over 100 grand a year but they fly a mission
most won't fly. The top earning truckdrivers I know are just over 50.
If you could build a union as you describe more power to you. I have never
seen one like that so it sounds pretty novel to me. Good Luck.
Clayton

Stan Gosnell

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
ashle...@aol.com (Ashleyfam2) wrote:

> The top earning truckdrivers I know are just over 50.

The top earning helicopter pilots I know are making just over 50.
That's an IFR PIC with > 30 years with the company. Supposedly it
will be more within 5 years, but with no contract, it's not
guaranteed.
--
Regards,

Stan

Bill Sykes

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:26:35 GMT, stang@[204.52.135.1] (Stan Gosnell)
wrote:

>The top earning helicopter pilots I know are making just over 50.
>That's an IFR PIC with > 30 years with the company. Supposedly it
>will be more within 5 years, but with no contract, it's not
>guaranteed.
>--
>Regards,
>
>Stan

Currently at Air Log an IFR-PIC breaks the $60,000 a year bracket at
21 yrs. on a 7&7 schedule. In 4 years this will drop to 12 yrs.

Also a VFR Small ship pilot can currently break the $60K level if he
is on a 5&2 contract with 6 years and in 31 mos. a small ship 4&3
contract will break the $60K level.

You can review this by looking at our pay scales which are an annex of
the contract, and posted on our web site. You will find them on the
Archive page in Word 97 and HTML format. The address is:

www.wcnet.net/local107

Follow the links.

This is but one example of what a union can do for you. Also the
company has stated this is possible under the current rate structure,
so there is no excuse for the other companies not to meet our pay
scales, except the pilots are unwilling band together and demand it
under collective bargaining.

Stan Gosnell

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
bsy...@iamerica.net (Bill Sykes) wrote:

>Currently at Air Log an IFR-PIC breaks the $60,000 a year bracket at
>21 yrs. on a 7&7 schedule. In 4 years this will drop to 12 yrs.
>
>Also a VFR Small ship pilot can currently break the $60K level if he
>is on a 5&2 contract with 6 years and in 31 mos. a small ship 4&3
>contract will break the $60K level.
>
>You can review this by looking at our pay scales which are an annex of
>the contract, and posted on our web site. You will find them on the
>Archive page in Word 97 and HTML format. The address is:
>
>www.wcnet.net/local107
>
>Follow the links.
>
>This is but one example of what a union can do for you. Also the
>company has stated this is possible under the current rate structure,
>so there is no excuse for the other companies not to meet our pay
>scales, except the pilots are unwilling band together and demand it
>under collective bargaining.

All this is true. Our pay scale actually goes above yours, but no one
is being paid the scale. Topped out pilots are being paid at the 18
year level. With 18 years, I'm paid less. VFR only pilots are paid
far less. The new scale was rolled out with much fanfare, with the
statement "Obviously we can't afford to pay you this much now." Can
they afford to after 5 years of inflation? And how good will it look
after 5 years of inflation? Well, we'll see.
--
Regards,

Stan

SBurks1956

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In article <19990618012604...@ng63.aol.com>, ashle...@aol.com
(Ashleyfam2) writes:

>hey are all very good pilots and very
>professional. The top ones make over 100 grand a year but they fly a mission
>most won't fly.

And what mission is that?

SBurks1956

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In article <19990614020609...@ng-cn1.aol.com>, ashle...@aol.com
(Ashleyfam2) writes:

>I wonder when the union bigwigs decide it is time for a strike how happy you
>will be.

WE, not THEY decide if an when a strike is called!!!

AndresK

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
>All this is true. Our pay scale actually goes above yours, but no one
>is being paid the scale.

A pay scale that isn't being paid isn't a pay scale.

Ashleyfam2

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
sburks asked what mission pays 100,000 grand per year and that is...
logging in the northwest. You have to live in remote areas and get dirt on your
boots but you can't have everything.
Also, not to beat a weak (undead) horse, but they didn't have a union to get
them those wages. This has been my point from the begining- If a company can't
get workers they will have to raise the pay to the level that someone will do
it. It is obviously easier to get helicopter pilots for 50,000 per year then
truck drivers. Pay for truck drivers has gone up a lot in the last few years to
get people to do it. People are standing in line to fly for less then 50,000
per year.
Clayton

AndresK

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
>Also, not to beat a weak (undead) horse, but they didn't have a union to get
>them those wages. This has been my point from the begining- If a company
>can't
>get workers they will have to raise the pay to the level that someone will do
>it.

Clearly supply and demand sets wages. Having collective bargaining merely
increases the bargaining power of the employees. Employers will negotiate in a
hard ball way with employees but then complain when employees band together to
give it back to them. Collective bargaining is one of the cornerstones of a
true democracy.

Walter Hawn

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
My understanding is loggers are EXTREMELY selective of their pilots. Long line
pilots are a specialty within a specialty. They should be paid accordingly.
Really has no bearing at all for the G.O.M. and operators there.

I'll repeat a story I posted some while back-
I was working in the Gulf in the late 80's when whichever oil crunch that was
hit. I was on the next or succeeding lot to be layed-off. In talking with other
135 operators in the area I discovered a curious fact-
They all seemed to be paying the same, less the odd benefit and adjusting for
scheduling diferences.
I'm not about to accuse anybody of collusion in pricing, especially an employer
who treated me well for 13 years, but draw your own conclusion.
To me it all says the operators alone set the rates. There are, correction,
were no negotiations of pilot pay. There are two parties to a contract. Having no
choice means...
I have a stake in doing my job well. I know and care about my customer as well
as my employer. I make multi-million dollar decisions. I determine the level of
customer service and satisfaction- I am (My employer) as far as my customer and
passengers are concerned. I do this alone. I do this completely unsupervised
(gasp). I do this with minimal support beyond the provision of materials. I write
my own job description.
It sounds to me like pilots ARE tasked as management while being told they're
laborers. It sure is easy that way for some. Change isn't easy. Change will
come. Why not make the change an improvement?

180 Walt

Ashleyfam2 wrote:

> sburks asked what mission pays 100,000 grand per year and that is...
> logging in the northwest. You have to live in remote areas and get dirt on your
> boots but you can't have everything.

> Also, not to beat a weak (undead) horse, but they didn't have a union to get
> them those wages. This has been my point from the begining- If a company can't
> get workers they will have to raise the pay to the level that someone will do

Bill Sykes

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
On 21 Jun 1999 04:00:56 GMT, ashle...@aol.com (Ashleyfam2) wrote:

>sburks asked what mission pays 100,000 grand per year and that is...
>logging in the northwest. You have to live in remote areas and get dirt on your
>boots but you can't have everything.
>Also, not to beat a weak (undead) horse, but they didn't have a union to get
>them those wages. This has been my point from the begining- If a company can't
>get workers they will have to raise the pay to the level that someone will do
>it. It is obviously easier to get helicopter pilots for 50,000 per year then
>truck drivers. Pay for truck drivers has gone up a lot in the last few years to
>get people to do it. People are standing in line to fly for less then 50,000
>per year.
>Clayton

Therein lies the problem! A week doesn't go by that someone doesn't
post in this newsgroup his love of flying and that he would do
anything to get a flying job. Even fly for free. The one saving grace
is that these guys are low time pilots and most companies can't use
them. But they will use their stack of applications to say that there
are plenty of pilots willing to do the job for a cut pay rate.

Logging is very demanding and dangerous, and that is why you get paid
the money. Most pilots don't want to work that close to the edge all
the time. Also your employer knows this and offers a salary to entice
and compensate you for it. It's also a small market with few
operators, so the rate structure is lucrative. Not so in the offshore
market.

Now, if Air Log, PHI, and ERA, decided they were going to enter that
market, you would see rates drop as well as salaries due to the
competition. That is why EMS pays what it does. There are more
operators to choose from and competion keeps the rates lower. If you
don't think so ask the Keystone pilot that posts here regularly.
That's not to say there aren't good, high paying jobs, but they are
not the norm, and they certainly aren't six figure salaries.

We have been our own worst enemies when it comes to pay. We buy into
the company line that they can't afford it. Yet Air Log is able to
absorb a 35% increase in pay over the next four years with 24% being
given right off the bat. Along with this were increases to the 401K,
per dium, travel, vacation time, a signup bonus, etc. They also
decreased the cost of life and health insurance, which they have said
they "had" to raise every year. They also extended these benefits to
the other employees plus gave them a raise.

Makes one wonder what they did with all that extra money before we
stood up and said enough is enough. They had it to give, but they
wouldn't until forced to do so under collective bargaining. I feel the
same is true for PHI and hope that the majority of their pilots have
finally seen the light. Because the larger companies in competetive
markets aren't going to give raises out of the goodness of their
heart. They are only going to cut loose the pursestrings when forced
to do so. When the pilots stand up and demand more.

Now I'm happy for you that you make the money you do. You deserve it.
But remember that your's is a niche market, and that it could be
invaded by other companies looking to put idle aircraft to work. If
this happens, you will feel the pinch that we have felt lo these many
years. I hope it doesn't, but I know that Bristow has equipment idle
at the moment, and are looking at ways to put them to work. They might
just try their hand at logging, as it looks to be an area where the
money's good, and not fully exploited yet.