Af/Pak & Other News (3/26/2012)

1 view

dump...@hotmail.com

Mar 26, 2012, 9:32:51 PM3/26/12
Afghan troops turn guns on NATO allies, killing 3:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57404706/afghan-troops-turn-guns-on-nato-allies-killing-3/

Bin Laden's brother-in-law wants injured sister to 'start a new life':

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/26/10869424-bin-ladens-brother-in-law-wants-injured-sister-to-start-a-new-life

War Chief: Afghans Will Take Combat Lead Next Year:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/allen-afghanistan-2013/

Air Force May Reopen Light Attack Contest:

http://defensetech.org/2012/03/26/air-force-may-reopen-light-attack-contest/

US Air Force Extends Probe of Afghan Plane Deal (excerpt):

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/133821/us-air-force-extends-probe-of-afghan-plane-deal.html

The Dangers of an Accelerated Drawdown in Afghanistan: What America’s
Civilian and Military Leaders are Saying:

https://www.foreignpolicyi.org/content/dangers-accelerated-drawdown-afghanistan-what-america%E2%80%99s-civilian-and-military-leaders-are-saying

Blackwater’s Afghan HQ Is Really Called ‘Camp Integrity’:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/academi-camp-integrity/

Expert: Al-Qaida web forums crippled in suspected cyber-attack:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/26/10870216-expert-al-qaida-web-forums-crippled-in-suspected-cyber-attack

Syrian forces on offensive as Annan pursues peace:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/world/286184/syrian-forces-on-offensive-as-annan-pursues-peace

Europeans OK Attacks on Somali Pirate Bases:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htseamo/articles/20120326.aspx

S. Korea to shoot down N. Korea rocket if it strays:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/S_Korea_to_shoot_down_N_Korea_rocket_if_it_strays_999.html

Japan to Deploy Patriot Missiles in Tokyo:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120326/DEFREG03/303260004/Japan-Deploy-Patriot-Missiles-Tokyo?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Scorpene’s Sting: Malaysia’s Bribery & Murder Scandal:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Scorpenes-Sting-Liberation-Publishes-Expose-re-Malaysias-Bribery-Murder-Scandal-05347/

UK Might Stick With the F-35C:

http://defensetech.org/2012/03/26/uk-might-stick-with-the-f-35c/

Europe Poised For Gradual Updates To Fighters:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/awst/2012/03/19/AW_03_19_2012_p58-431862.xml&headline=Europe%20Poised%20For%20Gradual%20Updates%20To%20Fighters&channel=defense

Sikorsky tables new CH-53K proposal:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/sikorsky-tables-new-ch-53k-proposal-369923/

Bombs Away: How the Air Force Sold Its Risky New $55 Billion Plane:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/03/airforce-bomber-gamble/

Kiowa-Shadow Mix Seen As Most Affordable Armed Aerial Scout Option:

http://insidedefense.com/201203232394167/Inside-Defense-General/Public-Articles/kiowa-shadow-mix-seen-as-most-affordable-armed-aerial-scout-option/menu-id-926.html

Has the ‘Cyber Pearl Harbor’ already happened?:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/03/26/has-the-cyber-pearl-harbor-already-happened/

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 27, 2012, 7:00:30 AM3/27/12
Il 27/03/2012 03:32, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:

> S. Korea to shoot down N. Korea rocket if it strays:
>
> http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/S_Korea_to_shoot_down_N_Korea_rocket_if_it_strays_999.html

with stock SM-2 ? Mah...
as written and debated so many times, I have much more confidence in
fast mobile ABM (that is, CG, DDG and... Junyokans ! ;) )

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 27, 2012, 7:39:00 AM3/27/12
Il 27/03/2012 03:32, dump...@hotmail.com ha scritto:
> Has the ‘Cyber Pearl Harbor’ already happened?:
>
> http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/03/26/has-the-cyber-pearl-harbor-already-happened/

Personally I guess that in the .mil and Naval matters, the security
efforts should be put into the "know-to-use" instead on the
"known-to-make" (after all, I guess that is a bit difficult hacking into
Generals and Admirals' & their staff's minds ;) )

on the industrial & economic side, I fear there's indeed little to do...

Best regards from italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Andrew Swallow

Mar 27, 2012, 12:58:37 PM3/27/12
On 27/03/2012 02:32, dump...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Has the ‘Cyber Pearl Harbor’ already happened?:
>
> http://www.dodbuzz.com/2012/03/26/has-the-cyber-pearl-harbor-already-happened/

The Chinese Government has one big weakness - it is full of evil people.
The Great Firewall of China is there to prevent the Chinese people
from knowing what crimes have been committed by their rulers. There is
a big hole in the firewall; the hole the hackers are using to attack the
USA and Britain.

Any information in the documents being stolen goes through that hole.
*We* write the documents.

The first page of a document has to say its title, so we can pick the
correct one up. The second page can say anything we want. I suggest
that the second page of defence documents, not for public release,
describes one or more crimes committed by the Chinese Government. Some
private sector firms may wish to get revenge by doing the same.

With modern text editors it only takes a few minutes to insert a one
page file into a document, providing the files already exist. The
criminal files can be distributed on DVDs.

The simplest source for details of the crimes is newspapers, they have
articles going back to the Chinese Communist Revolution. The Pentagon,
Whitehall, State Department and/or Commerce Department (loss of jobs,
patents and trade) could write the one page files using information
licensed from the media.

Andrew Swallow

Andrew Swallow

Mar 27, 2012, 1:25:31 PM3/27/12
Industrially China has a second weakness - it is attacking its
customers. Enforcing a single page law banning imports from China would
hurt China.

Before passing the law the government could spend a couple of years
ensuring the USA, Britain, France and Germany can import any necessary
manufactured items from India and Brazil.

In this trade war necessary items are things that have to be purchased
every year. Examples: Calculators for school children fit this category
since there are new children each year, iPods do not since they can be
kept for 3 years. Senator's mobile phones and watches had better be at
least 2 years old.

Andrew Swallow

dott.Piergiorgio

Mar 28, 2012, 12:53:36 AM3/28/12
Il 27/03/2012 18:58, Andrew Swallow ha scritto:

> The Chinese Government has one big weakness - it is full of evil people.
> The Great Firewall of China is there to prevent the Chinese people from
> knowing what crimes have been committed by their rulers. There is a big
> hole in the firewall; the hole the hackers are using to attack the USA
> and Britain.
>
> Any information in the documents being stolen goes through that hole.
> *We* write the documents.
>
> The first page of a document has to say its title, so we can pick the
> correct one up. The second page can say anything we want. I suggest that
> the second page of defence documents, not for public release, describes
> one or more crimes committed by the Chinese Government. Some private
> sector firms may wish to get revenge by doing the same.
>
> With modern text editors it only takes a few minutes to insert a one
> page file into a document, providing the files already exist. The
> criminal files can be distributed on DVDs.

I can point that your suggested strategy, to put it mildly, is plain
stupid ?

Chinese mindset, as generally the E Asian mindset, is rather gregarious,
and exposing a very small percentage of Chinese people (also highly
loyal, as one can expect from an intelligence hacker) to the chinese
gov't's crimes thru injecting propaganda in class documents is, to be
generous, largely ineffective, and in the best case, with all resources,
esp. manpower available to Chinese gov't, they can quickly replace &
"quarantine" the exposed people and in the very best case, retrain some
PLA regiment as political police rgts. and more seriously. this strategy
can surely led to a very dangerous relaxing of the care & handling &
custody of class documents (never underestimate the stupidity of junior
Officiers ;) if they think that compromised class document has an
alleged indirect benefit for US, and don't put enough of the due care in
handling & custody, well, the Divine ought to *REALLY* bless America....

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Mar 28, 2012, 1:03:10 AM3/28/12
dott.Piergiorgio wrote:

> Il 27/03/2012 18:58, Andrew Swallow ha scritto:
>
>> The Chinese Government has one big weakness - it is full of evil people.
>> The Great Firewall of China is there to prevent the Chinese people from
>> knowing what crimes have been committed by their rulers. There is a big
>> hole in the firewall; the hole the hackers are using to attack the USA
>> and Britain.
>>
>> Any information in the documents being stolen goes through that hole.
>> *We* write the documents.
>>
>> The first page of a document has to say its title, so we can pick the
>> correct one up. The second page can say anything we want. I suggest that
>> the second page of defence documents, not for public release, describes
>> one or more crimes committed by the Chinese Government. Some private
>> sector firms may wish to get revenge by doing the same.
>>
>> With modern text editors it only takes a few minutes to insert a one
>> page file into a document, providing the files already exist. The
>> criminal files can be distributed on DVDs.
>

> I can point that your suggested strategy, to put it mildly, is plain
> stupid ?

shhhhhh.....don't tell him! (instead, ask Frogwatch for his scientific opinion)
;-)

Andrew Swallow

Mar 28, 2012, 3:31:33 PM3/28/12
Even in China only a small number of people have the ability to speak
English, to be a hacker and trusted by the government. Triggering a
rapid turn over of people will tend to keep the number of attack down.